Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,076 members, 7,814,734 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:25 PM

Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater (50102 Views)

Flood Alert: NEMA Advises These Communities To Evacuate / Flood Alert: Alpha Beach In Lagos Overflowing / Flood Alert : Governor’s Aide Visit Delta Communities, Warns Residents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by sweetgala(m): 12:42pm On Sep 30, 2015
abatically:

It is called act of God and nothing the govt can do about this. U should stop blaming govt for everything. People living in the bay area are aware of risks of ocean surge. This does not only happen in Nigeria, remember hurricane Katrina that happened in the USA in 2005 killing thousands and destroying properties worth more than $100 billion. Also hurricane Irene in 2011 still in the USA destroying properties worth about $60 billion. These things are act of God and little can be done to prevent them. If u are living close to the ocean, u should be aware that these things are bound to happen.

Do u also blame the govt in the event of earthquake or volcanic disaster?

You just showed your level of knowledge on the hurricane Katrina issue with the government receiving blame for the failure of the levee system which was to hold the water at bay. My good man I'm an engineer so when you speak of such things I'd know.

Also what we have in Nigeria are not hurricanes rather poor waterfront controls, I'm sure the residents of Florida and new Orleans would rather have out situation than theirs
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by Horlar995(m): 12:43pm On Sep 30, 2015
Where they in anyway blindfolded when they purchase d land......(water lodged areas)
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by rugged7(m): 12:43pm On Sep 30, 2015
What else do you expect from..
The ZOO... undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by sweetgala(m): 12:48pm On Sep 30, 2015
baralatie:

do you understand property insurance and its rules.you want insurance companies to pay damage to property as a result of natural disasters.you employers for sack you tey,tey!
this a a natural phenomenon,the property owner are on their own.

When the correct preventative means are not implemented by the government to secure lives and property the government becomes liable.

For example when my car wishbone and tire was damaged by a porthole years ago, I sent the repair bill to my local government council and they payed it. That how a proper government works
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by sweetgala(m): 12:49pm On Sep 30, 2015
baralatie:

calculate all the properties in that region and multiply by 10 it will not cover the cost of protection works on that coastline at all.

Ofcause it won't when they inflate the cost of simple contracts by 100 folds
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by pushtani(m): 12:53pm On Sep 30, 2015
kitombo:

There has always been ocean surge at Alpha beach even prior to 2010. I live close and have been visiting the beach for over 15 years. Years back, coconut trees lined the beach and you'll walk through several rows and an appreciable distance to get to the coastline. Due to ocean surge and gradual encroachment of the land, all the coconut trees and the coastal road linking Okun Ajah has been eaten up by the sea! The Sea is just closing up on you now!!

Well, that's true, but something must be done
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by Nobody: 12:55pm On Sep 30, 2015
living near a beach can be risky.
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by Nobody: 1:08pm On Sep 30, 2015
HsLBroker:
Plots of land available for sale in simawa call 08182481552 for more.
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by abatically(m): 1:10pm On Sep 30, 2015
sweetgala:

You just showed your level of knowledge on the hurricane Katrina issue with the government receiving blame for the failure of the levee system which was to hold the water at bay. My good man I'm an engineer so when you speak of such things I'd know.

Also what we have in Nigeria are not hurricanes rather poor waterfront controls, I'm sure the residents of Florida and new Orleans would rather have out situation than theirs

Dude I know this ain't hurricane. I'm not comparing it with Katrina or Irene, I only used that as illustration. Africans especially Nigerians like blaming the goverment for eventyhing even in the case of natural disaster. If I have a property worth N10million and its about getting destroyed unless I spend N100 million yo save it. Then I'm better off letting the property go and spend the N100 million to squire another property somewhere else.
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by Nnamdiejik(m): 1:23pm On Sep 30, 2015
I hope people can learn from this?
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by markovnikoff001(m): 1:29pm On Sep 30, 2015
...but una get light na, grin abi no be light I dey see for some houses so?
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by pucci(m): 1:41pm On Sep 30, 2015
Olaolufred:
There is land at Ogijo, Ogere, Sagamu, Ijebu etc. yet many settled for ocean view.

Ocean is trying to come closer and become more an intimate friend, they are calling government.

Are every land covered with brushes or grasses suitable for houses vis a vis Erosion, environmental risk?

And most of these folks were criticizing lagos for starting eko atlantic city which is aimed partly at protecting V.I.

Well, Hope for you folks in future, but not in the immediate.
God bless you
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by hardbody: 1:48pm On Sep 30, 2015
mayreeh215:

What about relief for the affected, temporary accommodation and maybe some compensation for lost items?

They are not internally displaced persons IDP and as for compensation, that is what insurance is all about.

Ask those fools where do you stay, they will carry nose up in the air and you will hear....Lekki....

They look down on you staying in the mailand.

They should enjoy what comes with that high brow area
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by aderome(f): 1:49pm On Sep 30, 2015
baralatie:
nothing govt can do! it is called ocean surge!
that ocean should better unsurge.
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by fizziea(m): 1:57pm On Sep 30, 2015
mayreeh215:

What about relief for the affected, temporary accommodation and maybe some compensation for lost items?

lol u expecting me living in ikorodu to give relief materials to those living at lekki??

can u jux plz gerrarahere

maybe dey shud be given a space at IDP camp in Adamawa or borno
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by mayreeh215: 2:20pm On Sep 30, 2015
fizziea:

lol u expecting me living in ikorodu to give relief materials to those living at lekki??

can u jux plz gerrarahere

maybe dey shud be given a space at IDP camp in Adamawa or borno
Lol...adamawa and borno too far
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by seangy4konji: 2:30pm On Sep 30, 2015
Jamaica.
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by alaskido(m): 2:40pm On Sep 30, 2015
Well for me I no pity them. When I tell my friends say na for Ajegunle I dey live cos the rent is cheap for me. Them dey insult me say I be poor man. Them say make I come see them for Lekki dey enjoy and groove. Them call themselves LEKKI BIG BOYS (LBB). Now see flood for LBB palour and rooms.

I beg make una come take shelter for Yaba, Shomolu, Bariga, Mushin and Ajegunle. We ge enough space for una. grin grin grin
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by gbengaunited: 2:57pm On Sep 30, 2015
Sebi den talk say lekki na estate?
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by sweetgala(m): 3:08pm On Sep 30, 2015
abatically:

Dude I know this ain't hurricane. I'm not comparing it with Katrina or Irene, I only used that as illustration. Africans especially Nigerians like blaming the goverment for eventyhing even in the case of natural disaster. If I have a property worth N10million and its about getting destroyed unless I spend N100 million yo save it. Then I'm better off letting the property go and spend the N100 million to squire another property somewhere else.

But it is more than 1 property,there are hundreds of properties there, it is a settled community so the option of mass migration is out of the matter. Unless effective barriers are put up they would continue to experience flooding till kingdom comes , and it would only get worse with the polar icecaps melting away at the speed of light.

Would it take a "natural disaster" and hundred of people dying to wissen up. A barrier could be as simple as communities organising and placing sand bags along the coast. But the local government and state government have a duty to protest t lives and property that is what the tax money is for
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by thundafire: 3:53pm On Sep 30, 2015
the rich pple around go use speed boat na cs dia jeep cnt pass dier mess wouldnt b surprise if commisioner or minister of works get house 4 dia
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by scandybuono: 6:07pm On Sep 30, 2015
Nd pple kip spending millions of naira to buy land or rent houses in dis area everyday,may God hve mercy
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by naijafresh: 6:39pm On Sep 30, 2015
We need an instant solution!
The government needs to drain the Atlantic Ocean immediately and move all concerned parties to VI with immediate effect.
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by Nobody: 7:28pm On Sep 30, 2015
Oh my favrite Beach embarassed But dey tite dem put dere When dey want buy land, na govment go tink 4 dem kuma undecided Okay, fine even as government still want tink for dem, how many of dem de go meet urban before they conclude? Abeg make we hear word lipsrsealed
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by Nobody: 8:11pm On Sep 30, 2015
stevecantrell:
I had a dream alpha beach was obliterated by a tsunami 2 nights ago...just a dream.
embarassed
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by stevecantrell: 9:46pm On Sep 30, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:
embarassed
This is far from a tsunami, so they should be grateful.
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by Nobody: 10:04pm On Sep 30, 2015
stevecantrell:

This is far from a tsunami, so they should be grateful.
...been in PH, driving through Aba road/shell quarters you just wonder...I don't know if they can be grateful...naija and tsunami= olorun make oh
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by stevecantrell: 10:14pm On Sep 30, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:
...been in PH, driving through Aba road/shell quarters you just wonder...I don't know if they can be grateful...naija and tsunami= olorun make oh

Well I AM grateful, I almost bought a house there last year but it wasn't really impressed with it. I found another place up the road towards the 2nd tollgate, the drainage is better up there.
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by Nobody: 10:22pm On Sep 30, 2015
stevecantrell:

Well I AM grateful, I almost bought a house there last year but it wasn't really impressed with it. I found another place up the road towards the 2nd tollgate.
oh great...good for you..Abj does it for me..
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by stevecantrell: 10:39pm On Sep 30, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:
oh great...good for you..Abj does it for me..

Oh yeah, its really nice and dry over there..
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by Nobody: 10:46pm On Sep 30, 2015
stevecantrell:

Oh yeah, its really nice and dry over there..
smiley

1 Like

Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by freakcin: 11:12pm On Sep 30, 2015
Our Government is not alive to its responsibilities. Holland has a great part öf its land mass beneath sea level, yet you will never hear öf this kind öf thing let alone witness. Naija that is above sea level is struggling with shore protection. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Buhari: Why I Sacked Nanono, Sale Mamman & Reshuffled My Cabinet / Mike Pompeo And Atiku Tape About 2019 Elections (Listen To Conversations) / Nigerians Tear Twitter Apart Over Mugabe Marriage Proposal To Barrack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.