Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,214 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:13 AM

C.S. Lewis Thought About Atheism! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / C.S. Lewis Thought About Atheism! (1410 Views)

The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians / 10 Common Misconceptions About Atheism / 10 Times The Great Ex-atheist C.S. Lewis Made The Case For Christ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

C.S. Lewis Thought About Atheism! by Ajibam: 6:59am On Oct 01, 2015

Re: C.S. Lewis Thought About Atheism! by tartar9(m): 1:53pm On Oct 01, 2015
quite dumb!

1 Like

Re: C.S. Lewis Thought About Atheism! by Anas09: 3:59pm On Oct 01, 2015
Tartar its not for kids like you. Wait wen u grow up, read it again let's see if it will make sense then. Now? You r child. You are needed for training in Sambisa.
Re: C.S. Lewis Thought About Atheism! by Rilwon: 4:05pm On Oct 01, 2015
Ajibam:

Ajibam the biased former moderator... Wassap?

@Anas09, this dude was once a moderator on this section, he was sacked after turning out to be a christian terrorist grin
Re: C.S. Lewis Thought About Atheism! by Ajibam: 5:39pm On Oct 01, 2015
Rilwon:

@Anas09, this dude was once a moderator on this section, he was sacked after turning out to be a christian terrorist grin
Biased for kicking your ass a lot of times?
Re: C.S. Lewis Thought About Atheism! by Ajibam: 6:09pm On Oct 01, 2015
tartar9:
quite dumb!
Try and think and settle down before replying things online, young man
Re: C.S. Lewis Thought About Atheism! by Nobody: 6:19pm On Oct 01, 2015
Rilwon:

Chai! O ma se ooo!! Wat a hard tym d guy must be going tru ryt nw. ONCE A MODERATOR!!! Pele

1 Like

Re: C.S. Lewis Thought About Atheism! by finofaya: 7:15pm On Oct 01, 2015
It really is quite dumb. Your confidence in the degree of correspondence between your thoughts and reality has no effect on what reality turns out to be. If there really is no God it makes no difference to that reality that you are unable to say with any degree of certainty that there is, or is no, God. The flimsy argument of the author is that "I am sure of my thoughts, therefore my mind was created for thinking by another mind", which frankly is coterminous with horse sheet.

Interestingly, when we try to make sure that we are not dreaming or under an illusion and attempt to devise checks, we don't check for whether there is a God who gave us minds for thinking. If I asked you OP how you are sure that you're not under the illusion that you have a nairaland account, I can bet that you won't say you know that you are not under an illusion because you have a mind which was made for thinking. We recognise what illusions are, meaning that we recognise that we can't always be sure of our thoughts. We also perform reality checks without having recourse to the issue of who created our minds and for what purpose, meaning that there are ways of certifying your thoughts outside of knowing that it was created for thinking. In a godless world we just might use these.

Other pieces of foolishness in the argument include the assumption that we can only think correctly if our minds were made for thinking, (how am I typing correctly with hands that were designed for grasping?) and that our ability to think is at an acceptable level for a mind whose purpose is to think.

And of course there is the ever present question of how well a God explains the things which we say it explains. Since Mr. Lewis is claiming that we can only be sure of our thoughts if there is an intelligence who gave us minds for thinking, he must be willing to concede that God is not sure of its thoughts (which would explain the fiasco we see in the world). How does a God who is not sure of its thoughts create minds for the purpose of thinking?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: C.S. Lewis Thought About Atheism! by winner01(m): 7:38pm On Oct 01, 2015
Jeremiah 29:13 You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: C.S. Lewis Thought About Atheism! by Ajibam: 8:31pm On Oct 01, 2015
finofaya:
It really is quite dumb. Your confidence in the degree of correspondence between your thoughts and reality has no effect on what reality turns out to be. If there really is no God it makes no difference to that reality that you are unable to say with any degree of certainty that there is, or is no, God. The flimsy argument of the author is that "I am sure of my thoughts, therefore my mind was created for thinking by another mind", which frankly is coterminous with horse sheet.

Interestingly, when we try to make sure that we are not dreaming or under an illusion and attempt to devise checks, we don't check for whether there is a God who gave us minds for thinking. If I asked you OP how you are sure that you're not under the illusion that you have a nairaland account, I can bet that you won't say you know that you are not under an illusion because you have a mind which was made for thinking. We recognise what illusions are, meaning that we recognise that we can't always be sure of our thoughts. We also perform reality checks without having recourse to the issue of who created our minds and for what purpose, meaning that there are ways of certifying your thoughts outside of knowing that it was created for thinking. In a godless world we just might use these.

Other pieces of foolishness in the argument include the assumption that we can only think correctly if our minds were made for thinking, (how am I typing correctly with hands that were designed for grasping?) and that our ability to think is at an acceptable level for a mind whose purpose is to think.

And of course there is the ever present question of how well a God explains the things which we say it explains. Since Mr. Lewis is claiming that we can only be sure of our thoughts if there is an intelligence who gave us minds for thinking, he must be willing to concede that God is not sure of its thoughts (which would explain the fiasco we see in the world). How does a God who is not sure of its thoughts create minds for the purpose of thinking?
How is God not sure of His thoughts because of the fiascos(failure) you see in the world?
The failures in the world is as a result of man's iniquity, God was perfect and supreme in his thoughts to the extent that there's no defect in his creations..
Surprisingly, to show how perfect his thoughts are, he has made a way of escape from the consequence of the failures caused by man, the way is the Lord Jesus Christ.
Come to him today and stop being ignorant.
Re: C.S. Lewis Thought About Atheism! by Ajibam: 8:37pm On Oct 01, 2015
If the absurd big bang theory and evolution theory is really true,it means that your brain is formed from exploding molecules and this is not constant, it changes, then why must you trust your judgement about God that comes from a bunch of unstable atoms glued together by an invisible bond.
This firmly ascertain that atheists are breed of people that are unstable in their thoughts therefore there judgements and presumptions is clouded.
Re: C.S. Lewis Thought About Atheism! by Ajibam: 8:43pm On Oct 01, 2015
Rilwon:

Young man, let this be the last time you will type hogwash about me without knowing what really happened.. I resigned, i was not sacked. If you repeat this balderdash again, i will take it as an insult to my personality and that won't go lightly on you.
Thank you.
Re: C.S. Lewis Thought About Atheism! by finofaya: 9:31pm On Oct 01, 2015
Ajibam:

How is God not sure of His thoughts because of the fiascos(failure) you see in the world?
The failures in the world is as a result of man's iniquity, God was perfect and supreme in his thoughts to the extent that there's no defect in his creations..
Surprisingly, to show how perfect his thoughts are, he has made a way of escape from the consequence of the failures caused by man, the way is the Lord Jesus Christ.
Come to him today and stop being ignorant.

The argument is that we can only trust our thoughts if there is an intelligence that gave us our minds for the purpose of thinking. I'm assuming that God's thoughts do not meet this criterion. Nobody created the mind of God, right?

Are you preaching?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: C.S. Lewis Thought About Atheism! by Ajibam: 10:27pm On Oct 01, 2015
finofaya:

The argument is that we can only trust our thoughts if there is an intelligence that gave us our minds for the purpose of thinking. I'm assuming that God's thoughts do not meet this criterion. Nobody created the mind of God, right?

That's why is an assumption(your assumption). Unfortunately, the assumption is wrong, you don't assume things about God based on the level of your own reasoning,Nobody created the mind of God and yet his thoughts are higher than ours.
Isaiah 55:8
For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways," declares the LORD.
Isaiah 55:9
For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways And My thoughts than your thoughts.
Psalm 92:5
great are Your works, O LORD! Your thoughts are very deep.

Are you preaching?
Is that how you call it?
Anyways, am just throwing you a lifeline out of your miseries.
Jesus loves you!
Re: C.S. Lewis Thought About Atheism! by finofaya: 11:37pm On Oct 01, 2015
Ajibam:

That's why is an assumption(your assumption). Unfortunately, the assumption is wrong, you don't assume things about God based on the level of your own reasoning,Nobody created the mind of God and yet his thoughts are higher than ours.

So the criterion does fit God?

Is that how you call it?
Anyways, am just throwing you a lifeline out of your miseries.
Jesus loves you!

Okay. Cool.
Re: C.S. Lewis Thought About Atheism! by Ajibam: 11:43pm On Oct 01, 2015
finofaya:

So the criterion does fit God?

Nay! Because God is not created from exploding atoms.
Re: C.S. Lewis Thought About Atheism! by finofaya: 12:06am On Oct 02, 2015
Ajibam:

Nay! Because God is not created from exploding atoms.

So it both fits and doesn't fit. Lol. See how your God has made defending him so confusing.
Re: C.S. Lewis Thought About Atheism! by Ajibam: 6:11am On Oct 02, 2015
finofaya:

So it both fits and doesn't fit. Lol. See how your God has made defending him so confusing.
You are the one confused here. smiley
Re: C.S. Lewis Thought About Atheism! by Rilwon: 8:35am On Oct 03, 2015
Ajibam:

Young man, let this be the last time you will type hogwash about me without knowing what really happened.. I resigned, i was not sacked. If you repeat this balderdash again, i will take it as an insult to my personality and that won't go lightly on you.
Thank you.
Ajibam:

Biased for kicking your ass a lot of times?

E pain am.... mehuhehehehehe grin grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

A Former Writer Of Watchtower Articles, High Ranking JW Relates Her Resume / Booom! Christ Embassy Int'l Goes Into The Guinness Book Of Records / God Hates Religion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.