Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,212 members, 7,829,346 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:41 AM

PMB's Laconic Idiosyncratic October 1st Speech : The Nation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PMB's Laconic Idiosyncratic October 1st Speech : The Nation (1797 Views)

Mr. President's Democracy Day Speech, The Emptiest In The Last 17 Years. / Buhari's 2016 Budget Speech: “the Budget Of Change” / Buhari’s 10 Major Independence Day Quotes - The Nation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

PMB's Laconic Idiosyncratic October 1st Speech : The Nation by igbokwesampson(m): 7:10am On Oct 03, 2015
Source: http://thenationonlineng.net/buharis-laconic-idiosyncratic-october-1-speech/

IT is unlikely that at any time in his presidency, Muhammadu Buhari will ever bore his audience. His inauguration speech was a model in terseness, with no frills, and nearly with no memorable sound bite. The speech was relieved perhaps only by the almost aphoristic “I belong to everybody, and I belong to nobody” statement he used to underscore his wistful desire for personal and political independence. His inauguration speech was supposed to be the biggest thing on the day he was sworn in, something to announce his return to power, his grand success after three failed attempts at the presidency, and something to define the new Buhari. It rose to no such peak, having of course exhibited no ambition to soar either at the rhetorical or tactical level. Indeed, the speech was absolutely idiosyncratic. It gave Nigeria the essential Buhari, the one forgotten from 1985, the one that has in fact changed little since then.
President Buhari has since then given a few other speeches at home and abroad. To his credit, none has been denounced as long-winded. All have been as terse as possible, ending barely moments after he started delivering them. In France, he was laconic; and in the United States, he exampled brevity. But as terse as they often were, the speeches gave no opportunity to his audience to make up their minds to like or dislike what he had to say. Someday in the future, when a verbose and tedious president will weary the country with offensive nothings, and lather them with pompous, jaded and swollen phrases, the beauty and even nobility of President Buhari’s taciturnity will be appreciated anew.
It was no surprise, however, that two days ago the president once again failed to conflate a great speech with a great and unique moment. October 1, Nigeria’s Independence Day, had been consistently belittled by past leaders, sometimes in favour of May 29, the so-called Democracy Day, but President Buhari who claims to exemplify change was expected to lead a reawakening of that irreplaceable and historic day. Alas, in his speech, he paid only lip service to the day. After acknowledging it as an anniversary the country should be proud of, he then proceeded to misconceive the spiritual and political import of the anniversary. Other than a few platitudes, and one or two florid statements, there was nothing else in the speech to qualify it as an Independence Day anniversary speech, nor anything memorable to emblematise the change he spoke fondly and glowingly of, nor yet something deep, historical and inspiring.
Really, the speech was inappropriate for the occasion. It was reassuring and thoughtful of President Buhari to acknowledge the contributions of former president Goodluck Jonathan to the peaceful succession that enthroned the All Progressives Congress (APC), a fact his first few giddy weeks in office seemed to ignore until some Christian leaders, including Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor the Christian Association of Nigeria president and Bishop Hassan Kukah, angrily reminded him. And he also spoke fervently of the country’s natural endowments as springboard for Nigeria’s economic development. Then he applauded the country’s staying power, remarked its unsteady ability to transcend open divisions, and announced its resolve to overcome security challenges, especially the Boko Haram war.
All the president managed to say about the allegations of vendetta leveled against his government is that he bore no one ill will. While this would have been sufficient to answer questions about his altruism in calling the previous government to account over allegations of corrupt practices, it was certainly inadequate to explain his government’s puzzling and sometimes hesitant approach to the full-fledged rebellion in the Senate by lawmakers elected on the ruling party’s platform. He needed far more nuanced and analytical exposition on the matter, backed with a short excursion into historical antecedents, but he gave nothing of such.
On the equally deeper and complex issue of the country’s raison d’etre, especially the convoluted search for a national identity, the president offered the even blander solution of “unity of purpose’. In his view, the country’s inability to rise to world prominence is caused essentially by the failure of its people to achieve unified purpose. To resolve this problem he launched into a platitudinous admonition of his countrymen, from whom he expects exemplary behaviour. Said he: “You and I and all of us must appreciate that we all have our part to play if we want to bring change about. We must change our lawless habits, our attitude to public office and public trust. We must change our unruly behaviour in schools, hospitals, market places, motor parks, on the roads, in homes and offices. To bring about change, we must change ourselves by being law-abiding citizens. ” There were of course moments in his speech when the president seemed set to achieve some flourish and depth. The bland ending of the October 1 speech thwarted all that.
Overall, the speech was undone by its failure to recognise what the day called for. Even if he hated lengthy speeches, a prerogative no one can take from him, it was still important that he avail his long-suffering and sometimes confused countrymen his view on the salient, deeper and complex issues that trouble or even undermine Nigeria as a state. He talked at length on the manifestations of the problems that ail the country; when he instead needed to draw upon historical analysis to explain where the country is situated, why it has found it difficult to soar, and how it can be made to run competitively.
Except for his views on corruption, insecurity and discipline, there was nothing in his speech on economic blueprint or the much-needed new ethos that should form the bedrock of the country’s focus and purpose. In fact, the president enunciated a rather confusing and a little detached perspective on democracy, particularly partisan politics and the limits and possibilities of presidential powers. Not too long ago he had embraced troubling political anachronisms, whether as it concerned the value of his cabinet or the lack of breadth of his kitchen cabinet. And now he has incredibly zeroed in on the absence of unity of purpose as the reason for Nigeria’s troubles, when clearly, to nearly everyone, and especially analysts and leaders themselves, the problem is much more that of leadership failing than anything else.
It is understandable why President Buhari, a ranking member of the country’s leadership elite, is reluctant to indict that elite for undermining the nation’s peace and progress. But there is no running away from the fact that Nigeria’s underdevelopment is in large parts attributable to leadership failing than any other factor. If on October 1, the president was unable to provide his own unique perspective on the country’s woes, nor agree to leadership failing as an explanation, then the road will be much tougher and longer than anyone may presume. No country has been able to rise above the quality and competence of its iconic leaders. Nigeria will not be an exception. If President Buhari can’t persuade his countrymen that he understands the nation’s problems, he cannot also persuade them he has the magic wand. Without a magic wand, it is unlikely his remedies will go beyond addressing the superficial, let alone achieve anything more than the placebo effect.
President Buhari needs help. There is no question he is a more appropriate and zealous leader for these times than his predecessor, the undisciplined Dr Jonathan. But he must be made to understand that theory drives practice, and abstract comes before reality. Except he is helped to conceive or envision great things, it is impossible to engender great and anticipated realities with energy and passion.

Re: PMB's Laconic Idiosyncratic October 1st Speech : The Nation by Nobody: 7:12am On Oct 03, 2015
Re: PMB's Laconic Idiosyncratic October 1st Speech : The Nation by Nobody: 7:13am On Oct 03, 2015
I don't want to hear eulogies again.

Till something is done.

You people should stop now... embarassed

By the way,

Always leave your enemies in a state of confusion..

Law of power grin

2 Likes

Re: PMB's Laconic Idiosyncratic October 1st Speech : The Nation by SeverusSnape(m): 7:13am On Oct 03, 2015
Illiterate Presidiot

2 Likes

Re: PMB's Laconic Idiosyncratic October 1st Speech : The Nation by PassingShot(m): 7:14am On Oct 03, 2015
SeverusSnape:
Illiterate Presidiot
Pained Wailer grin

2 Likes

Re: PMB's Laconic Idiosyncratic October 1st Speech : The Nation by playtheblues(f): 7:14am On Oct 03, 2015
Akwa Ibom Civil Servants Employed Since Nov/Dec 2014 Have Not Been Paid A Dime by playtheblues: 9:00pm On Oct 02
It is with deep sorrow that I write this.
We Akwaibomites are usually very peaceful and are not the types to complain easily. This is the reason why Udom Emmanuel thinks he can do anything to us and get away with it.
While Udom is busy building mansions in his village and who-knows-elsewhere we the latest employed staff of Akwa Ibom Civil Service (employed since Nov/Dec 2014) have not received even a kobo of our salaries from the Government and we are expected to come to work daily.
Most of us have been borrowing money from people and our sponsors are now tired of supporting us.
It is going to a year since we were employed, yet our salaries have been withheld all in the name of countless biometrics.
Udom has fixed our money in the bank to attract interests for him.
Everyday we are asked to sign one paper or the other in the name of bank verification yet we have not seen any salary.
Some of us who are posted to far places spend a lot of money on transportation to and from work yet Udom does not care.
My lawyer cousin who was also employed with me told me that they sponsor themselves to courts, prisons and police stations daily without any salary. They also sponsored themselves to Bar Conference in Abuja in August 2015 without even a single penny support from Udom/the Government.
The engineers are not left out as they are sent out to the field in a scorching sun with empty stomachs.
Human Rights activists in Nigeria please intervene in this matter. The masses should please join us into talking sense into our obviously selfish Governor into paying us our accumulated salaries.
I am a married man with a family to support. Udom please don't make us think of commiting suicide like that civil servant in Bayelsa who committed suicide due to unpaid 13-month salaries. Don't reduce us to beggars/chronic borrowers either.
We are tired of this hardship! We are grieving.
#seun
#lalasiclala
#ishilove
#introvert
#chocolateme
#ladyf
(Modify) (Quote) (Report) (Share)
Re: PMB's Laconic Idiosyncratic October 1st Speech : The Nation by SeverusSnape(m): 7:15am On Oct 03, 2015
PassingShot:

Pained Wailer grin
Paid Goon...Your president is an illiterate, didn't you know that?...

3 Likes

Re: PMB's Laconic Idiosyncratic October 1st Speech : The Nation by just9Girian: 7:16am On Oct 03, 2015
Well I think it should be more of action and less speech, only that our supposedly sick president has been travelling a lot this days
Re: PMB's Laconic Idiosyncratic October 1st Speech : The Nation by PassingShot(m): 7:16am On Oct 03, 2015
SeverusSnape:

Paid Goon...Your president is an illiterate, didn't you know that?...
SeverusSnape:

No, because I'm not a zombie-esque humanoid like you. Passingshiiit! cheesy
Do you wish you get paid too? grin grin

Our "illiterate" president who understands that it's pure waste of resources to spend tens of billions on mere Independence Day celebration is surely far more intelligent and judicious than the "PhD" president who didn't know that billions of naira could be put to better use.

1 Like

Re: PMB's Laconic Idiosyncratic October 1st Speech : The Nation by SeverusSnape(m): 7:17am On Oct 03, 2015
PassingShot:
No, because I'm not a zombie-esque humanoid like you. Passingshiiit! cheesy

1 Like

Re: PMB's Laconic Idiosyncratic October 1st Speech : The Nation by Chigorkizz(m): 7:17am On Oct 03, 2015
What do you expect when a dullard is your president.
Waiting for the lying liar to come and masturbate on this thread.

2 Likes

Re: PMB's Laconic Idiosyncratic October 1st Speech : The Nation by just9Girian: 7:19am On Oct 03, 2015
playtheblues:
Akwa Ibom Civil Servants Employed Since Nov/Dec 2014 Have Not Been Paid A Dime by playtheblues: 9:00pm On Oct 02
We Akwaibomites are usually very peaceful and are not the types to complain easily. This is the reason why Udom Emmanuel thinks he can do anything to us and get away with it.
While Udom is busy building mansions in his village and who-knows-elsewhere we the latest employed staff of Akwa Ibom Civil Service (employed since Nov/Dec 2014) have not received even a kobo of our salaries from the Government and we are expected to come to work daily.
Most of us have been borrowing money from people and our sponsors are now tired of supporting us.
It is going to a year since we were employed, yet our salaries have been withheld all in the name of countless biometrics.
Everyday we are asked to sign one paper or the other in the name of bank verification yet we have not seen any salary.
Some of us who are posted to far places spend a lot of money on transportation to and from work yet Udom does not care.
My lawyer cousin who was also employed with me told me that they sponsor themselves to courts, prisons and police stations daily without any salary. They also sponsored themselves to Bar Conference in Abuja in August 2015 without even a single penny support from Udom/the Government.
The engineers are not left out as they are sent out to the field in a scorching sun with empty stomachs.
Human Rights activists in Nigeria please intervene in this matter. The masses should please join us into talking sense into our obviously selfish Governor into paying us our accumulated salaries.
I am a married man with a family to support. Udom please don't make us think of commiting suicide like that civil servant in Bayelsa who committed suicide due to unpaid 13-month salaries. Don't reduce us to beggars/chronic borrowers either.
#seun
#lalasiclala
#ishilove
#introvert
#chocolateme
#ladyf
, derailers every where, I see you
Re: PMB's Laconic Idiosyncratic October 1st Speech : The Nation by SeverusSnape(m): 7:30am On Oct 03, 2015
PassingShot:

Our "illiterate" president who understands that it's pure waste of resources to spend tens of billions on mere Independence Day celebration is surely far more intelligent and judicious than the "PhD" president who didn't know that billions of naira could be put to better use.
That's why you're a zombie, and your pay masters are banking on that advantage. So because midget El-ruffian posted that on Facebook, You take it hook, line and sinker.

I don't jealous zombies, I rather remain a "wailer".

Paid Goon, You were on recess, did you go on strike??

1 Like

Re: PMB's Laconic Idiosyncratic October 1st Speech : The Nation by merry02(m): 7:30am On Oct 03, 2015
I think there are issues between buhari and tinubu because each time the nation is used to attack buhari, I guess all are not well
Re: PMB's Laconic Idiosyncratic October 1st Speech : The Nation by PassingShot(m): 7:35am On Oct 03, 2015
SeverusSnape:

That's why you're a zombie, and your pay masters are banking on that advantage. So because midget El-ruffian posted that on Facebook, You take it hook, line and sinker.

I don't jealous zombies, I rather remain a "wailer".

Paid Goon, You were on recess, did you go on strike??
Olodo!

Whatever El Rufai posted on FB was a public knowledge long before now. Here is the one for 50th anniversary for your info. http://www.thenigerianvoice.com/news/26470/1/50th-independence-anniversary-n10-billion-budget-w.html

Cry till eternity, PDP can never return to the presidency. Not in the next ten years at least. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: PMB's Laconic Idiosyncratic October 1st Speech : The Nation by playtheblues(f): 7:35am On Oct 03, 2015
How do you mean?
just9Girian:
, derailers every where, I see you
Re: PMB's Laconic Idiosyncratic October 1st Speech : The Nation by SeverusSnape(m): 7:37am On Oct 03, 2015
PassingShot:

Olodo!

Whatever El Rufai posted on FB was a public knowledge long before now. Here is the one for 50th anniversary for your info. http://www.thenigerianvoice.com/news/26470/1/50th-independence-anniversary-n10-billion-budget-w.html

Cry till eternity, PDP can never return to the presidency. Not in the next ten years at least. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Paid Goon, Spread propaganda till eternity, APC won't remain there forever. And you will be alive to see PDP back to the Presidency.

Your illiterate Certificateless Presidiot is already failing. Answer my question, Did they reduce your ration??...why did you go on strike?

1 Like

Re: PMB's Laconic Idiosyncratic October 1st Speech : The Nation by PassingShot(m): 7:48am On Oct 03, 2015
SeverusSnape:

Paid Goon, Spread propaganda till eternity, APC won't remain there forever. And you will be alive to see PDP back to the Presidency.

Your illiterate Certificateless Presidiot is already failing. Answer my question, Did they reduce your ration??...why did you go on strike?
Loser wailing his life away! grin grin grin

My ration has even been increased. Do you have an idea how much it was? grin

2 Likes

Re: PMB's Laconic Idiosyncratic October 1st Speech : The Nation by AlPeter: 7:52am On Oct 03, 2015
Whoever wrote this trash deserves to be slapped to 'stupor'. Is this guy an analyst, journalist or a comedian? Who in the Entire world doesn't know that UNITY of PURPOSE is one of the greatest weapon ever it's why America is the world power today. If Nigerians Have Unity of purpose all these so called bad leaders would have Been used as scapegoats and others forced to change their ways or face the music. This writer should be ashamed of himself.

1 Like

Re: PMB's Laconic Idiosyncratic October 1st Speech : The Nation by SeverusSnape(m): 7:54am On Oct 03, 2015
PassingShot:

Zombie, I don't need to know.

It's a good thing you never deny being paid.

You give your brain and get paid in return. grin

2 Likes

Re: PMB's Laconic Idiosyncratic October 1st Speech : The Nation by themilanway(m): 7:57am On Oct 03, 2015
PassingShot:

You must have ample time replying that idiot
Re: PMB's Laconic Idiosyncratic October 1st Speech : The Nation by themilanway(m): 8:03am On Oct 03, 2015
The problem I have with these pay per article writers is that they would never profer any meaningful suggestion as to what the president's speech writer could added or subtracted.

All they do is sit behind the computer and type trash and later call it critiquing.

Nonsense.
Re: PMB's Laconic Idiosyncratic October 1st Speech : The Nation by kasmail(m): 8:26am On Oct 03, 2015
Summary please
Re: PMB's Laconic Idiosyncratic October 1st Speech : The Nation by poiZon: 9:25am On Oct 03, 2015
playtheblues:
#seun
#lalasiclala
#ishilove
#introvert
#chocolateme
#ladyf

u get luck say the state govt still dey recognise that sham employment and not treat u guys jusy the way fg is treating dss recruits and other agencies recruit under the last govt.
u shud be happy that u r employed and have ur appointment letter at hand, I also hope when theypay u, u will come here and notify us, mumu
Re: PMB's Laconic Idiosyncratic October 1st Speech : The Nation by Ovamboland(m): 10:27pm On Oct 03, 2015
It is well known that Buhari is not gifted in oratory skill but his integrity and discipline is still intact, we can still leverage on that.

It is a disaster to be saddled with a leader who can't articulate himself and to the booth lacks discipline and integrity.

The writer really missed road by placing our woes only on leadership, forgetting that the leaders emerge from amidst the followers and only the reflect the sum total of the aggregate leadership qualities inherent in all of us. Change from the top is difficult if it is not marched with deliberate effort at the micro-family unit level. For example many youngsters today have been taught it is alright to lie and call it wisdom or smartness. A 66 year old parent was recently caught writing WAEC or so exams for his child. Other parents are known to gleefully purchase answers, procure mercenaries or pay for miracle centers for their kids. What can you expect such kids to do when they are finally unleashed on society? The evidence is all over Nairaland where many posters are not incensed by the mid boggling revelation of looting of public funds.

For some mundane considerations like religion, ethnic origin, or political party affiliations they are willing to trade the violent acts of stealing on societal fabric on the alter of being champions of their small enclave. Nothing can shock them anymore as their minds has been pummeled first by their parents, then their community that celebrates reprobates and the government run by even more common criminals.

The majority who are feeble minded and remain on the fence and are usually unwilling partakers'in malfeasance can be redeemed to do right in the face of a firm leader, but we need to make it more than skin deep by being blessed by such leaders for at least the next 40 years. To make the new national direction meaningful it cannot stop at the top man only howling probity, it must permeate to the family unit and educational system. The curriculum right from the elementary level must reflect teaching of values, virtues and morals and what it means. The current cash and carry educational system needs to be overhauled, and offenders must be punished and seen to be punished not by public lynching but by the instruments of law to promote a orderly society. At the family level their might be need to employ and train social workers to take the message in the local languages to all the nooks and crannies of the country

In a nutshell, institutional reforms is much more enduring than simply having a firm leader. And the follower must support and work for the success of such reforms not with the current howling when the current weak institutions even attempts to perform its statutory fucntions

1 Like

Re: PMB's Laconic Idiosyncratic October 1st Speech : The Nation by playtheblues(f): 10:47pm On Oct 03, 2015
Thanks for the insults. Hope they added values to your life.
poiZon:

u get luck say the state govt still dey recognise that sham employment and not treat u guys jusy the way fg is treating dss recruits and other agencies recruit under the last govt.
u shud be happy that u r employed and have ur appointment letter at hand, I also hope when theypay u, u will come here and notify us, mumu
Re: PMB's Laconic Idiosyncratic October 1st Speech : The Nation by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:49pm On Oct 03, 2015
grin grin grin
If President Buhari can’t persuade his countrymen that he understands the nation’s problems, he cannot also persuade them he has the magic wand. Without a magic wand, it is unlikely his remedies will go beyond addressing the superficial, let alone achieve anything more than the placebo effect.

It's like Tinubu is angry with Buhari
Re: PMB's Laconic Idiosyncratic October 1st Speech : The Nation by spinoff: 10:45am On Oct 04, 2015
Ovamboland:
It is well known that Buhari is not gifted in oratory skill but his integrity and discipline is still intact, we can still leverage on that.

It is a disaster to be saddled with a leader who can't articulate himself and to the booth lacks discipline and integrity.

The writer really missed road by placing our woes only on leadership, forgetting that the leaders emerge from amidst the followers and only the reflect the sum total of the aggregate leadership qualities inherent in all of us. Change from the top is difficult if it is not marched with deliberate effort at the micro-family unit level. For example many youngsters today have been taught it is alright to lie and call it wisdom or smartness. A 66 year old parent was recently caught writing WAEC or so exams for his child. Other parents are known to gleefully purchase answers, procure mercenaries or pay for miracle centers for their kids. What can you expect such kids to do when they are finally unleashed on society? The evidence is all over Nairaland where many posters are not incensed by the mid boggling revelation of looting of public funds.

For some mundane considerations like religion, ethnic origin, or political party affiliations they are willing to trade the violent acts of stealing on societal fabric on the alter of being champions of their small enclave. Nothing can shock them anymore as their minds has been pummeled first by their parents, then their community that celebrates reprobates and the government run by even more common criminals.

The majority who are feeble minded and remain on the fence and are usually unwilling partakers'in malfeasance can be redeemed to do right in the face of a firm leader, but we need to make it more than skin deep by being blessed by such leaders for at least the next 40 years. To make the new national direction meaningful it cannot stop at the top man only howling probity, it must permeate to the family unit and educational system. The curriculum right from the elementary level must reflect teaching of values, virtues and morals and what it means. The current cash and carry educational system needs to be overhauled, and offenders must be punished and seen to be punished not by public lynching but by the instruments of law to promote a orderly society. At the family level their might be need to employ and train social workers to take the message in the local languages to all the nooks and crannies of the country

In a nutshell, institutional reforms is much more enduring than simply having a firm leader. And the follower must support and work for the success of such reforms not with the current howling when the current weak institutions even attempts to perform its statutory fucntions
Re: PMB's Laconic Idiosyncratic October 1st Speech : The Nation by poiZon: 1:12pm On Oct 04, 2015
playtheblues:
Thanks for the insults. Hope they added values to your life.
no they subtracted virtues from you.
Re: PMB's Laconic Idiosyncratic October 1st Speech : The Nation by playtheblues(f): 8:04pm On Oct 07, 2015
God is greater than all. I praise His name.
poiZon:

no they subtracted virtues from you.

(1) (Reply)

Oyinlola, Akeredolu, Others Allegedly Make It Into Buhari’s 2nd Ministerial List / GEJ Wished President Buhari Happy Birthday In 2014. / Consolation Thread For APC In River Rerun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.