Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,935 members, 7,835,117 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:57 AM

Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) - Culture (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) (250746 Views)

30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups / List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria / Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Nobody: 5:01pm On Oct 05, 2015
Fulaman198:

It does not make sense to classify the Hausa and Fulani as one despite the past. Each has their own separate but beautiful culture.
I initially don't agree on classifying them as one because of there separate language, but people know little about this and put them as one just like what the OP did

1 Like

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Fulaman198(m): 6:46pm On Oct 05, 2015
sonofananimal:
I initially don't agree on classifying them as one because of there separate language, but people know little about this and put them as one just like what the OP did

Yep that's true

1 Like

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by tonychristopher: 11:15pm On Oct 05, 2015
Fulaman198:

Timbuktu is in the Sahara desert in West Africa....... Whites have brainwashed people on what Sub-Sahara Africa is.

You are right that in Timbuktu though, there was philosophy, astronomy and mathematics.

What is wrong with you..I promise you that this is the last response I am going to give you.I did not reply you since because I have understood the level of your submission and it will be an infra dignitatem to respond but I will give you the last one

You said west Africa and I gave you Timbuktu which is in west Africa ..dude did you ever attended a geo class ...Timbuktu is in west Africa

Now another civilisation or kingdom that is far more older and more advanced than that your Benin is shongai kingdom

Can pls Google it....

Your not paying me for lectures here

I had a jet lag let me rest

Good night
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by bokohalal(m): 2:24am On Oct 06, 2015
When some people hear how Benin did this and that in the past they almost die. They would rather believe it was the Mongols that played a role in their early history. Small Greece, again?
Babylon way no dey map.
Persia way Sadam Hussein take make yeye.
They are hungry in Mongolia.
I can't find Austria on a world map.
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Fulaman198(m): 3:58am On Oct 06, 2015
tonychristopher:

What is wrong with you..I promise you that this is the last response I am going to give you.I did not reply you since because I have understood the level of your submission and it will be an infra dignitatem to respond but I will give you the last one

You said west Africa and I gave you Timbuktu which is in west Africa ..dude did you ever attended a geo class ...Timbuktu is in west Africa

Now another civilisation or kingdom that is far more older and more advanced than that your Benin is shongai kingdom

Can pls Google it....

Your not paying me for lectures here

I had a jet lag let me rest

Good night

Yes Timbuktu is in West Africa, but it is not in "Sub-Sahara" Africa. Not all of West Africa is in Sub-Sahara Africa. I advise that you take a Geo class if you can not differentiate between what is Sub-Sahara and what isn't.
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Funjosh(m): 6:23am On Oct 06, 2015
Fulaman198:

Yes Timbuktu is in West Africa, but it is not in "Sub-Sahara" Africa. Not all of West Africa is in Sub-Sahara Africa. I advise that you take a Geo class if you can not differentiate between what is Sub-Sahara and what isn't.

Yes Mali one of the country in sub sahara africa with city of Bamako and Timbuktu, luckily Bamako is located in sub-sahara Africa while Timbuktu is located in the heart of the Sahara.

Cc tonychristopher

2 Likes

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Ihuomadinihu: 6:34am On Oct 06, 2015
Fulaman198:

Well,where did you get your Information? Because Timbuktu is located at the Southern end of Sahara desert and close to the northern tip of River Niger. It's has also been regarded as the outmost part of Subsaharan West Africa.
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by tonychristopher: 7:26am On Oct 06, 2015
Funjosh:

Yes Mali one of the country in sub sahara africa with city of Bamako and Timbuktu, luckily Bamako is located in sub-sahara Africa while Timbuktu is located in the heart of the Sahara.

Cc tonychristopher

Oga is it not I. West Africa .....we are talking west Africa here not tropical region
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by tonychristopher: 7:27am On Oct 06, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Well,where did you get your Information? Because Timbuktu is located at the Southern end of Sahara desert and close to the northern tip of River Niger. It's has also been regarded as the outmost part of Subsaharan West Africa.

My sister why argue with those people ..sometimes I wonder the kind of graduates we are churning out these days
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Fulaman198(m): 8:28am On Oct 06, 2015
Funjosh:

Cc tonychristopher

That's correct, actually to add to that, Bamako is in the Sahel zone. Whereas Timbuktu is in the Sahara. A lot of Niger, Mali, Mauritania, Chad and Sudan are in the Sahara. So this "sub-saharan" African thing are people using a Misnomer. It's a lack of people not knowing geography.
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Fulaman198(m): 8:30am On Oct 06, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Wow, people don't know the geography of Mali, this is sad as Mali isn't far away. What kind of nonsense is this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sahara

" Important cities located in the Sahara include Nouakchott, the capital of Mauritania; Tamanrasset, Ouargla, Béchar, Hassi Messaoud, Ghardaïa, and El Oued in Algeria; Timbuktu in Mali; Agadez in Niger; Ghat in Libya; and Faya-Largeau in Chad."
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Fulaman198(m): 8:31am On Oct 06, 2015
tonychristopher:

My sister why argue with those people ..sometimes I wonder the kind of graduates we are churning out these days

I wonder the same thing about you guys as well:

" Important cities located in the Sahara include Nouakchott, the capital of Mauritania; Tamanrasset, Ouargla, Béchar, Hassi Messaoud, Ghardaïa, and El Oued in Algeria; Timbuktu in Mali; Agadez in Niger; Ghat in Libya; and Faya-Largeau in Chad."

My history is in this region so expect me to know it very well

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by tonychristopher: 8:37am On Oct 06, 2015
Fulaman198:

I wonder the same thing about you guys as well:

My history is in this region so expect me to know it very well

Oga we are talking west Africa here

What is wrong with you ?
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Fulaman198(m): 8:38am On Oct 06, 2015
tonychristopher:

Oga we are talking west Africa here

What is wrong with you ?

The question really is what is wrong with you? Are you saying West African countries can not be in the Sahara? Mauritania, Mali and Niger certainly are.

2 Likes

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Wulfruna(f): 9:12am On Oct 06, 2015
The southern edge of the Sahara is still part of the Sahara.

The meaning would have been different if it was 'south of the Sahara.'

1 Like

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Funjosh(m): 9:50am On Oct 06, 2015
tonychristopher:

It is well.
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Funjosh(m): 9:52am On Oct 06, 2015
Wulfruna:
The southern edge of the Sahara is still part of the Sahara.

The meaning would have been different if it was 'south of the Sahara.'

My sister may God help us.

1 Like

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Funjosh(m): 9:54am On Oct 06, 2015
Fulaman198:

That's correct, actually to add to that, Bamako is in the Sahel zone. Whereas Timbuktu is in the Sahara. A lot of Niger, Mali, Mauritania, Chad and Sudan are in the Sahara. So this "sub-saharan" African thing are people using a Misnomer. It's a lack of people not knowing geography.

A simple Atlas would have help.

1 Like

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by tonychristopher: 11:11am On Oct 06, 2015
Funjosh:

Timbuktu’s history
The Niger River, Timbuktu
Although the city of Timbuktu was established in the 12th century and became an important commercial centre, it only gained widespread prominence as an intellectual capital in the 15th century. Chroniclers mention that the city has its roots in a nomadic summer camp set up a few miles from the river Niger, as a base from which they could pasture and water their camels during the period of intense heat. This position proved strategic for commerce and soon attracted many settlers. The settlement was important not only because of its location at the junction of the dry Sahara and the lush central valley of the river Niger, but because the river itself constituted an easy pathway for transporting goods to and from the more tropical regions of West Africa. Thus merchants settled there early on and were subsequently followed by Muslim scholars much later, after the establishment of a permanent community.

The population of Timbuktu was always mixed. Although

http://www.tombouctoumanuscripts.org/about/history/

Now timbuktu is in tropics and at the smae time Southern tip of Sahara
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Ihuomadinihu: 12:49pm On Oct 06, 2015
Fulaman198:

Wow, people don't know the geography of Mali, this is sad as Mali isn't far away. What kind of nonsense is this:

Now what sort of rubbish is this? Timbuktu is regarded as part and parcel of Sub saharan Africa. What exactly is the reason for this argument
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Funjosh(m): 1:05pm On Oct 06, 2015
tonychristopher:

Timbuktu’s history
Although the city of Timbuktu was established in the 12th century and became an important commercial centre, it only gained widespread prominence as an intellectual capital in the 15th century. Chroniclers mention that the city has its roots in a nomadic summer camp set up a few miles from the river Niger, as a base from which they could pasture and water their camels during the period of intense heat. This position proved strategic for commerce and soon attracted many settlers. The settlement was important not only because of its location at the junction of the dry Sahara and the lush central valley of the river Niger, but because the river itself constituted an easy pathway for transporting goods to and from the more tropical regions of West Africa. Thus merchants settled there early on and were subsequently followed by Muslim scholars much later, after the establishment of a permanent community.

The population of Timbuktu was always mixed. Although

http://www.tombouctoumanuscripts.org/about/history/

Now timbuktu is in tropics and at the smae time Southern tip of Sahara

Read and Re-read what you posted here, hope you understand it may be am the one that is seeing different thing.
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Ihuomadinihu: 1:12pm On Oct 06, 2015
Funjosh:

Read and Re-read what you posted here, hope you understand it may be am the one that is seeing different thing.
There isn't any confusion. Timbuktu is a juction connecting both Tropical and Saharan/Sahel Africa. The crux of the matter is the race/people and civilization of ancient Timbuktu not it's location. Turn the internet upside down,it is listed as SubSaharan.
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Funjosh(m): 1:22pm On Oct 06, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Now what sort of rubbish is this? Timbuktu is regarded as part and parcel of Sub saharan Africa. What exactly is the reason for this argument

It is not rubbish, it just a misconception and misinterpretation of English tongue

The country Mali is in Sub-Saharan while Timbuktu city is part of the Sahara.

Hope you. All are also aware that Khartoum the capital of Sudan is also in the Sahara while Sudan as a country before it was divided was part of the Sub-Saharan countries
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Ihuomadinihu: 1:30pm On Oct 06, 2015
Funjosh:

It is not rubbish, it just a misconception and misinterpretation of English tongue

The country Mali is in Sub-Saharan while Timbuktu city is part of the Sahara.

Hope you. All are also aware that Khartoum the capital of Sudan is also in the Sahara while Sudan as a country before it was divided was part of the Sub-Saharan countries
Timbuktu is located at the Southern fringe of the Desert. Both Mali and Timbuktu are treated as Subsaharan today. I don't yield to any Eurocentric division of Africa.
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Funjosh(m): 1:35pm On Oct 06, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Timbuktu is located at the Southern fringe of the Desert. Both Mali and Timbuktu are treated as Subsaharan today. I don't yield to any Eurocentric division of Africa.

My sister we are on the same page just that we are not reading the same line, Southern fringe of the Desert is still part of the Desert. smiley
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Ihuomadinihu: 1:40pm On Oct 06, 2015
Funjosh:

My sister we are on the same page just that we are not reading the same line, Southern fringe of the Desert is still part of the Desert. smiley
Whether it's on the Southern or Northern fringe,it's regarded as Subsaharan. It's quite obvious that black Africans are the problem with Africa. They have taken away Egypt from Black Africa,next is Mali,and Africans will sit here and nod in affirmation. What next? Nok, Kanem Bornu, Ife and Igboukwu? Last time i checked,they said they were forgotten civilizations of Libyan something something. Nice try!
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Fulaman198(m): 3:39pm On Oct 06, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Why do you keep arguing facts, Most Of Mali is in not Sub- Sahara Africa, just a small southern portion. Timbuktu is in the Sahara desert like Agadez. Most of us with cultural ties to the region know this. I don't know why you keep saying it's in Sub-Sahara Africa when this issue has been beaten to death and proven wrong.
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Fulaman198(m): 3:40pm On Oct 06, 2015
Funjosh:

A simple Google search would help. Most of Mali is not even geographically situated in Sub-Sahara Africa. That's why I say whites have brainwashed a lot of people about what "Sub-Sahara" Africa is.
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by tonychristopher: 3:41pm On Oct 06, 2015
Funjosh:

Oga the basis of argument is west Africa where they said Benin is the first kingdom that had a relation with EU which I countered with Timbuktu and Songhai

Is that not the basis ?
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Fulaman198(m): 3:42pm On Oct 06, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Whether it's on the Southern or Northern fringe,it's regarded as Subsaharan. It's quite obvious that black Africans are the problem with Africa. They have taken away Egypt from Black Africa,next is Mali,and Africans will sit here and nod in affirmation. What next? Nok, Kanem Bornu, Ife and Igboukwu? Last time i checked,they said they were forgotten civilizations of Libyan something something. Nice try!

Kanem-Bornu was a Saharan empire. It extended from Nigeria to Libya. You do know what a map is right. Most of Niger and Libya is in the Sahara.....

Why do you think Kanuri is also classified as a Saharan language.
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by tonychristopher: 3:43pm On Oct 06, 2015
Funjosh:

Then northern fringe of tropics is still part of tropics

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Fulaman198(m): 3:45pm On Oct 06, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

You are missing the point big time. There are many black indigenous people living in the Sahara.

So no, nothing has been taken from black people. Even the Tuaregs, whom are Berber are black. The Gourara, whom are also Berbers living in Algeria are black. Saharan does not mean Arab.

Nubian language, Kanuri language, etc are all classified as Saharan languages.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

Complaints And Notice Thread. Be Serious! / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here / The Yoruba Oriki For Twin & Its Translation - Dedicated To Twins Worldwide.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.