Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,295 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:25 AM

Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future (55294 Views)

Sex For Mark: "OAU Female Student Should Stop Playing The Victim" - Man Says / Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU / Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by macaranta(m): 10:47am On Oct 05, 2015
k
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by danduchi(m): 10:48am On Oct 05, 2015
Now I remember 3 idiots
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by gamaliel121(m): 10:49am On Oct 05, 2015
Laitesmart:
Whether educated or not... This post or thread is directed to all parents and even the intending parents can learn one or two things from this while those who were victims may also share theire experiences.
I was in SS1 to introduce the newly promoted students to Physics as a subject... I felt there is the need for me to ask them why they chose the science department even when some of them know how demanding the department could be... I was taken aback with some of the response i got from some of the students. A female told me categorically that her passion is to become a writer in the nearest future as she love reading poems and Novel but her mother was against it. I asked her what was on her mother's mind when she said no and she told me that her mum told her emphatically that there is no Nurse in the family and as such she has to be a nurse to fulfil her mum's wish... I was left dumbfounded as the girl has no other option but to obey her 'dear mum'.
As if it wasnt enough, another told me he loves designing but his dad want him to be a Pilot and he doesnt have any option.

The matter above is somehow sensitive as even the so called educated fellows make the mistake of 'departmentalising' their kids if that Word exist in the english context.

The scenario reminded me of the movie 3 idiots that i watched back then and i had to prescribe it to the students to go watch with their parents...

Imagine what disastrous effect it would have had on their careers if MOHAMMAD ALI's father had forced him to be a musician and MICHEAL JACKSON's father had forced him to be a boxer...

I Shared my impression with a friend and he stated point blankly that this is one of the many reasons why our educational sector keeps falling beyond expectation... It isnt about what they want, rather, it is about what we the parents want.

Parents have totally forgotten that they are suppose to CHOOSE WITH their Children and Not CHOOSE FOR them when it comes to their careers...

We might be vastly experienced but we still need to respect the passion of our children...

Let the children know that they need to follow excellence and success will chase them pants down as stated by Ranchoddas Chalmadas Chanchad...

I have spoken...

Nice write up bro....but in a country like nigeria were a lot of professions are not taking seriously. Do you think any parent would want their child to go into that profession?..most parents want their children to do certain courses because they know it's the surest way to earn money and be comfortable... I don't totally blame the parents for this issue.. Thanks!

5 Likes

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by lonelydora: 10:50am On Oct 05, 2015
FriedPlantain:
I have always known how to handle cars since I was a kid and I remember excitingly telling my dad my love for vehicles and why I would love to pursue a career as a truck driver or car washer in the future.

My dad didn't say a word, next thing I know, I was already at church for special deliverance. sad

Fast forward to 2015, I'm now a successful business man, selling and buying plantain in large quantities.
You can ask about me anywhere in Mushin Olosha, I'm popularly known as Baba Ologede. cool

Bros, abeg it's too early for such laugh. You can't be a businessman and still write good English.
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by U2ice(m): 10:50am On Oct 05, 2015
Indeed u av spoken!
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Chris95(m): 10:51am On Oct 05, 2015
Naija parents blv uve nt kum up2 age 2 decide ur future afterall wah do u knw grin grin
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by d33types: 10:51am On Oct 05, 2015
Though daddy never spoke about it, his body language suggested he wanted me to continue in his line of medicine..he always took me to work, explained all about human physiology and anatomy even before age 10 and as I progressed, I just had to love medicine.

I'm a doctor today.

My younger brother also had same exposure as me but as we were all exposed to tv, newspapers and media he made his choice and stood by it..he's an architect..

Parents may coerce but not force their children..

You know what? When I asked my dad if he wanted me to read medicine from the beginning and why,, his response was yes and because of job security...you won't blame them...they met a rough Nigeria

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by chesm(f): 10:53am On Oct 05, 2015
[quote author=montezz post=38674624]
Lol...can't u b serious 4 once? Truckdriver ko Danfo driver ni![/quote have alws bn gere to read comments bt his comment jst wuldnt lt me go wtawt saying smtin..u still gat tym to drive trucks@friedplaintain
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by kel4soft: 10:53am On Oct 05, 2015
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by JOOHEL: 10:56am On Oct 05, 2015
FriedPlantain:
I have always known how to handle cars since I was a kid and I remember excitingly telling my dad my love for vehicles and why I would love to pursue a career as a truck driver or car washer in the future.

My dad didn't say a word, next thing I know, I was already at church for special deliverance. sad

Fast forward to 2015, I'm now a successful business man, selling and buying plantain in large quantities.
You can ask about me anywhere in Mushin Olosha, I'm popularly known as Baba Ologede. cool

Lmao! Are u for real!?

1 Like

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by lanrexdo(m): 10:56am On Oct 05, 2015
haha..
FriedPlantain:

1 Like

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by menix(m): 11:01am On Oct 05, 2015
Mrcdorv:
I will never make mistakebof choosen for my child of which i know how to discover their talent,many children display their passion when their are your and some parent ignore this while heading the child to another direction instead of them to encourage them to improve on the passion they have for a certain thing(career).Look at history of Messi.

With this crap u have written, no child will ever want to follow ur footstep talkless follow ur career instructions..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Pidggin(f): 11:03am On Oct 05, 2015
FriedPlantain:

grin cheesy It's all about the money
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Epatty(f): 11:03am On Oct 05, 2015
Dat one cn sort of b understood sef... Wat of me dat my parent say I must marry our tribe. It simply means I'l ve to luk for sm1 frm my tribe befr evn considerin lv. Many children r faced wit such.
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Nobody: 11:03am On Oct 05, 2015
lonelydora:

Bros, abeg it's too early for such laugh. You can't be a businessman and still write good English.
are you trying to tell me that business men don't write good English undecided

Jezz! Is it a parable or you are just joking undecided

2 Likes

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by bettercreature(m): 11:04am On Oct 05, 2015
Well we have to choose for our kids most of the time
that is the fact and it will always remain so
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by menix(m): 11:05am On Oct 05, 2015
FriedPlantain:

HahhahahhahahahahahahaAaahH
Falls frm ogiri...

This is Epic..

2 Likes

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by lonelydora: 11:05am On Oct 05, 2015
sonofananimal:
are you trying to tell me that business men don't write good English undecided

Jezz! Is it a parable or you are just joking undecided

Na joke I dey.
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Toks2008(m): 11:08am On Oct 05, 2015
Laitesmart:
Whether educated or not... This post or thread is directed to all parents and even the intending parents can learn one or two things from this while those who were victims may also share theire experiences.
I was in SS1 to introduce the newly promoted students to Physics as a subject... I felt there is the need for me to ask them why they chose the science department even when some of them know how demanding the department could be... I was taken aback with some of the response i got from some of the students. A female told me categorically that her passion is to become a writer in the nearest future as she love reading poems and Novel but her mother was against it. I asked her what was on her mother's mind when she said no and she told me that her mum told her emphatically that there is no Nurse in the family and as such she has to be a nurse to fulfil her mum's wish... I was left dumbfounded as the girl has no other option but to obey her 'dear mum'.
As if it wasnt enough, another told me he loves designing but his dad want him to be a Pilot and he doesnt have any option.

The matter above is somehow sensitive as even the so called educated fellows make the mistake of 'departmentalising' their kids if that Word exist in the english context.

The scenario reminded me of the movie 3 idiots that i watched back then and i had to prescribe it to the students to go watch with their parents...

Imagine what disastrous effect it would have had on their careers if MOHAMMAD ALI's father had forced him to be a musician and MICHEAL JACKSON's father had forced him to be a boxer...

I Shared my impression with a friend and he stated point blankly that this is one of the many reasons why our educational sector keeps falling beyond expectation... It isnt about what they want, rather, it is about what we the parents want.

Parents have totally forgotten that they are suppose to CHOOSE WITH their Children and Not CHOOSE FOR them when it comes to their careers...

We might be vastly experienced but we still need to respect the passion of our children...

Let the children know that they need to follow excellence and success will chase them pants down as stated by Ranchoddas Chalmadas Chanchad...

I have spoken...

Well articulated.

This is why i tell parents to stop asking their children to be this or that or asking then "what they would like to be in future" because the regular answer will be "doctor,lawyer.pilot and other fantasy wishes"

Please start asking your children "what do you enjoy doing" and their answer should give you a clue to their passion and trust me, passion is everything.Look around today and study the lives of the millionaires and billionaires we have in and outside the country and you will be amazed that they followed their passion.

Passion is everything while the certificate is only to broaden our horizon.

1 Like

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Nobody: 11:08am On Oct 05, 2015
menix:

With this crap u have written, no child will even want to follow ur footstep talkless follow ur career instructions..
try to understand the meaning of his word and not the grammar or spelling he has written undecided
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by maryhaam(f): 11:10am On Oct 05, 2015
FriedPlantain:

you got me cracking.....lol
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by 9jatriot(m): 11:14am On Oct 05, 2015
Laitesmart:

I have spoken...

Nice point you have made, however, parents see things from a wider angle. The youth of now a days do not want to read or work hard. All they are interested in is to take the easy way out. They will naturally want to take the perceived easier courses as against the more challenging ones. For every Tuface, there are a lot of aspiring musicians who never saw the light of day. For every Lionel Messi, there are a lot of boys in football fields who will never played beyond the primary school field in their neighborhood. Every parent has a responsibility to try and guide their children through the murky waters of life from live experiences they have either had or seen. Sometimes, their approach may not agree with us but they do it with the best of intentions.

As an exception, some do it just to have a particular profession in their family.

3 Likes

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by chynergy1(m): 11:15am On Oct 05, 2015
mm
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by DiegoNakel(m): 11:16am On Oct 05, 2015
FriedPlantain:

baba where for mushin, shey na empire for idi oro or for ojuwoye market !!!
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Undabridge(m): 11:18am On Oct 05, 2015
FriedPlantain:

I believe you Sir cos that's my former area,the likes of Aloma,Ibadan and co are part of the guyz I know that are really successful in their own side of plantain business.Keep it up!!!!!
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by maryhaam(f): 11:18am On Oct 05, 2015
montezz:
U r ryt o! I jux cnt stop thanking my parents 4dia supports. Daddy wants her big baby 2 b a medical doctor bt heck! She can talk 4 africa! I v a burning passion 4 teaching(it runs in my blood mayb 'cos my parents r teachers lol). I remember writing jargons on d wall of my room pretending 2 teach my younger ones. D day my dad saw it ehn(i done dy visualize my grave)he barked in his usual stern voice dat i clean d mess kiakia. Na so i jejely stop writing nonsense o till d day he came home wt a well moderately carved blackboard...till nw,it was d best gift i eva recieved 4rm him. Often times i try 2 picture mysf in a labcoat wit a stethoscope hanging round my neck. Bliv me,it jux wudnt fit! I love education as a career! D best tin parents can do,z 2 discova d talented embedded in dia wards;hence guide dm 2ru d ryt path.
loooool,your story thou.
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Nobody: 11:19am On Oct 05, 2015
lonelydora:

Na joke I dey.
see how you make me fear!

1 Like

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Michizzy(f): 11:20am On Oct 05, 2015
My father wanted me to be a doctor or nurse but my dreams was being a lawyer but here I am studying Business Management. I appreciate their encouragement in my new dream.
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Nobody: 11:23am On Oct 05, 2015
lonelydora:

Meaning? angry
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by arsetalks(m): 11:28am On Oct 05, 2015
I wanted to run, I was very good, but a pain killer killed my leg to the "joy" ( not joy really but you get) of my parents.

Then I wanted to be a coach. A soccer coach. My parents did all to stop me but as you can't stop destiny, I ended up in the football field still and although few years late, I will end up as coach still.

I believe the children also have a part of play. If they so want it, they will get it.
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by emekaxy: 11:33am On Oct 05, 2015
When i was in primary school i will always fingering my dads electronics, collect speakers, buy bulbs, small radio motor and wire it round my house. i have a big tool box filled with electrical Junks, thank God i wasnt electrocuted then.

JS1
My daddy noticed all this i decide to take me to technical school, but the principal turned me back because i was too small and couldnt carry their hammer.
Later i got admitted into a normal school and finished my secondary school, this time my Technical life got increased.

AFTER SECONDARY SCHOOL
My uncle and relative advised me to do Environmental Mgt maybe they plan to bring me to work in DPR after graduation, my dad said i have know him to be good with Technical things but its left for him to decide.

JAMBITE STAGE
I applied for Environmental Mgt but missed the addmission because i had 268 in Jamb and UNN cut 270.
I missed the admission, though i also applied for POLY JAMB with that i secured addmission to study Elect/ELect my dream course but not in a Polytechnic.

POLY STAGE
I completed my OND with a distinction but still have my mind in the University, i sat for another Jamb and got admitted into University to study Environmental Technology.

UNI STAGE
Studied Environmental Management and graduated with Second upper lower, non of the so called uncle or relative ask me how is school thru out my years in the university.

LABOUR MARKET
The same uncle asked me to go and do Msc before i can be employed.
I started doing house hold electrical wiring and fault founding. later got a job thru one of my client with my BSc (Environmental Management Technology) and after 2years they switched me to Maintenance department and made me a Lead maintenance Engineer (Electrical/Electronic equipment including heavy voltage), i started heading people with BSC and MSc.

CAREER GROWTH
I started acquiring some certification and going for short curses, today im the General Manager Technical in my place of work.

Moral of my long grammer
Look at a child and support him in what ever he/she is good in, with that you can support him/her to grow and achieve their dream

Thank you for this thread wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink

5 Likes

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by ELITE0911(m): 11:33am On Oct 05, 2015
Its parents thing to try and live their dreams on their children

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Oko Polytechnic Rector Weeps As Corrupt Lecturer Is Exposed By ACTU (Photos) / Marewo Primary School In Gombe State (Pictures) / Courtney Adeleye, Nigerian Buys A Car For Her Daughter's Teacher

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.