Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,717 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:41 PM

Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations (30868 Views)

Abbreviations Many Use On Daily Basis Without Knowing The Full Meaning / Important Abbreviations You Might Not Know / Meanings Of These Filling Station Abbreviations: PMS, AGO, DPK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Surfboard(m): 3:13pm On Apr 11, 2016
It is common among the youth of today to type in abbreviations. On all form of social media and online fora, down to applications for chatting, we are getting further immersed in this 21st century phenomenon. What are its gains? I don't see any. Disadvantages? I'll list a few.

1. It affects our spelling. At the beginning, you think you have it under control, in fact you do. However, like all bad habits, it creeps up on you and before you know it, you can't spell as well as you used to. You then spell a word like 'enough' as 'enuf' and think it's right.

2. You get so used to abbreviating, you start to include in official correspondence. This goes from students in examinations to young job seekers in their applications. Heck, adults are not left out as some make these mistakes in business proposals. What this means in society is a situation like we have now where employers of labour are lamenting that Nigerian graduates are unemployable.

3. We may be setting a wrong trend for the next generation. It's all good, in fact, brilliant to be technologically savvy and all, but it shouldn't end there. We should teach those coming after us why they need to use technology the right way. One of the things they should be taught is how to spell. If we do, we'd be raising a generation positioned to make a positive impact in society. Our parents endeavoured that we be taught how to spell, so please let's help the younger generation achieve that too.

Feel free to add yours also. Thanks

110 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by TeddyJonathan(m): 3:50pm On Apr 11, 2016
I was here

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by xender(m): 5:27pm On Apr 11, 2016
me too

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by babyfaceafrica: 5:42pm On Apr 11, 2016
So was i

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Surfboard(m): 6:14pm On Apr 11, 2016
Lalasticlala come and warn all these space bookers o

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by eitsei(m): 7:10pm On Apr 11, 2016
Many people don't know it's a bad habit they think it's faster to type that way but recently almost everyone is using Android and all these Android phones have spell checker, so why can't they make use of it?

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by makingsense(m): 5:43pm On Apr 12, 2016
U try oo
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by RobinHez(m): 5:43pm On Apr 12, 2016
Permit me to say there are good abbreviations and bad abbreviations. lipsrsealed

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Sunnycliff(m): 5:43pm On Apr 12, 2016
ar u sure, pls trow more lyt

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by OneNigeria1960(f): 5:43pm On Apr 12, 2016
Bad and annoying habit by some youth.

7 Likes

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by amunkita(m): 5:44pm On Apr 12, 2016
OP is 100% right..

Spelling some words today is an issue..
Infact, NEBOSH will wonder what country I Came from cous on the exam day, I noticed I could not help it but abbreviate cous of time.

Today, I hardly use "because" instead I use "Cous"..

Have sent numerous correspondence with abbreviation, how I wish I never started cous it's hard to stop.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Mrvirgin(m): 5:44pm On Apr 12, 2016
It rili dosnt affect myne

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Ask4Info: 5:44pm On Apr 12, 2016
I have no regret saying I have tossed several hundreds if not thousands of CVs into the trash can because of this same act.

If you want to reduce the number of applicants applying for a vancant job. Just insist it should be sent alongside a cover letter (hand written or typed) and you just have to sit, relax and watch graduates goof away.

Once someone starts a chat, text or email using short text, I discard them immediately.

SOME SHORT TEXT THAT CAN MAKE SOMEONE THROW UP:

Jux - Just
Yels - yes
Tho - Though
Tof - Tough
Con3- country amongst many other silly ones.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by vickylala239: 5:44pm On Apr 12, 2016
Hmmm

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Drdaps(m): 5:44pm On Apr 12, 2016
It's so common nowadays
Some even use some silly letters that you will have to ask them for the meaning undecided

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by tammie24: 5:45pm On Apr 12, 2016
Exactly
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by sexymoma(f): 5:45pm On Apr 12, 2016
Sunnycliff:
ar u sure, pls trow more lyt
see wetin we dey talk angry

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Lovexme(m): 5:45pm On Apr 12, 2016
Only lazy people use abbreviations when typing.

I'm mostly irked with I see people use kk in place of OK or Okay. I mean, dafuq?!

12 Likes

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by confistified(m): 5:45pm On Apr 12, 2016
hmmm
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Joyce28(f): 5:45pm On Apr 12, 2016
Noted
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Drsheddy(m): 5:46pm On Apr 12, 2016
WHO ABBREVIATION EPP?? undecided ??

6 Likes

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Olukologia(m): 5:47pm On Apr 12, 2016
Nice write up. My girlfriend neva let me rest wit "tho" and others. Pls help me tell dem o.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by ElrayKhalifah(m): 5:47pm On Apr 12, 2016
It affects students mostly during examinations.
I could remember me getting 0/20 just for writing 'and' as '&' on a essay writing due to my strict examiner

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by modath(f): 5:47pm On Apr 12, 2016
Wht do u xpct m 2 say abt dis ur aticul now? smiley

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by White007(m): 5:47pm On Apr 12, 2016
cool
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by JeffreyJamez(m): 5:48pm On Apr 12, 2016
Very irritating.. the moment I notice this habit in someone, I no longer initiat chats with him/her. I don't take such people serious.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by wonlasewonimi: 5:48pm On Apr 12, 2016
If you're older than 18 and you still use textspeak such as 'scul' and 'enuf', you need to get your head checked.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by gbaskiboy: 5:48pm On Apr 12, 2016
Naturally I don't write using abbreviations

Ask seun grin he'll tell u

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Captain001(m): 5:48pm On Apr 12, 2016
I don't even allow it. Almost everyone around me knows; so they are always cautious when chatting with or sending me a text message.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Nobody: 5:48pm On Apr 12, 2016
Whassapp

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Barbarthundey(m): 5:48pm On Apr 12, 2016
Noted!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by multikolour(m): 5:48pm On Apr 12, 2016
okay

11 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

12-Year-Old FUOYE Is The Fourth Most Sought After University In Nigeria / Which Public University Is The Best In Nigeria? / Students Waiting To Register For JAMB At Night (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.