Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,371 members, 7,819,330 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:32 PM

Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! (13884 Views)

Poll: Opinion poll: who wins the Ekiti rerun election?

Fayemi (AC): 82% (14 votes)
Segun Oni (PDP): 17% (3 votes)
This poll has ended

Fashola, Segun Oni, Amaechi, Ezekwesili, Danbazzau May Make Buhari’s Cabinet. / Do You Think Segun Oni Really Deserves This Kind Of Insult From Governor Fayose? / APC Wins First Election In Kwara State!!! PDP declared instead!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by bsanya(f): 10:21am On Apr 28, 2009
the Papa Deceiving Pikin (PDP) people in Ekiti State are scared because they knew they av failed finally in the state and they are  looking 4 all means to prevent the INEC officials in the state  to annouce the winner which is FAYEMI. Everybody knows who the winner is, they should annouce Fayemi as the winner and let peace reign in our dear state. Imagine the IG changing his abode to Ekiti, this is terrible
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by yicob(m): 10:24am On Apr 28, 2009
Its no suprise if Oni Segun is declared the Winner.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by debosky(m): 10:26am On Apr 28, 2009
I have a different take on the matter. The police/security agents should be blamed for their inability to maintain security during the elections. INEC (from accounts I've seen) has by and large not been the erring party, but the thugs hired by different sides to ferment trouble. If adequate security was provided and agents were not shot/beaten up and ballot boxes not hijacked by hired thugs and vandals, the elections would have been completed by now.

The IG should move to Ekiti - it is shameful that for a small state like that he has failed to provide adequate security for voters, INEC officials and party representatives. In that regard, I support the state PDP's call for the army to be brought in - the police obviously couldn't do their job.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by IFELEKE(m): 10:30am On Apr 28, 2009
Nigeria Police Force Indicts INEC

The last has not been heard about the culpability of INEC and Nigeria’s Vice-President Goodluck Jonathan in the electoral malfeasance of Ekiti rerun elections of Saturday 25, 2009. The Nigeria Police Force spokesman, Mr. Emeka Ojukwu, at the Force Headquarters, Abuja yesterday indicted Professor Murice Iwu leadership of Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), for being responsible for the electoral debacle in Ekiti rerun elections.

Against all rational thinking and response, the Police Force said it was surprised by the claims of ‘insecurity’ offered by INEC to the public for its inability to conclusively conduct a free and fair election in just 63 wards of Ekiti State. Mr. Emeka Ojukwu said that the suspension or indefinite postponement of the Rerun should not be attributed to security inadequacies on the part of the Police Force because 10,000 of its battle-ready policemen were fully on ground to effectively contain any insurgence that may have arisen from the exercise.

Professor Maurice Iwu, the INEC Chairman, had claimed in a national press conference yesterday that the poll was postponed because of the safety of the people, but Ojukwu replied saying “… if INEC shifted the election, they may have their reasons, but as far we are concerned, the police did their job, … there is no civil war in Ekiti State, there was a Deputy Inspector-General of Police on the ground, the Inspector General of Police, Mr. Mike Okiro personally visited Ekiti State on election day, and visited the so-called trouble spots and there was no threat to lives and property … There were only 18,000 registered voters in Oye, they are not 18,000 thugs! …the police did their bit well in the Ekiti rerun election, it is for the Independent National Electoral Commission to do its own part.”

Political observers interpreted the lame excuse of the INEC Chairman as a cover-up for his hawkish boss, Goodluck Jonathan, Nigeria’s Vice-President who supervised the electoral shame of and political dribbling from Abuja throughout Saturday and Sunday.

Fingers are already pointing and tongues are wagging of how the VP marshalled instructions through Iwu to Mrs. Ayoka Adebayo, the Ekiti Resident Electoral Commissioner to announce the ‘padded’ results from snatched and stuffed ballot boxes that would have given Segun Oni landslide victory in the controversial poll. Mrs. Adebayo was said to have dazed the VP by her outright refusal to obey instruction from higher authorities.

Maurice Iwu is terribly in bad shape now as the VP had pounced on him for retaining Mrs. Adebayo, when all other domestic INEC officials of Ekiti were asked to step aside on Thursday, on the eve of the rerun. Iwu was said by our sources in Abuja to have defended himself before the VP that:

‘Your Excellency… the woman ‘perfomed’ creditably well during the April 14, 2007 governorship election, when she ‘obeyed’ instructions and declared Oni as winner… nobody knew she had another agenda different from what we planned.’

Meanwhile Iwu has been mandated by the security meeting chaired by President Yar’Adua yesterday to go and ‘clean up his mess’ within 24 hours and ensure a soft landing for an acceptable victory result for Oni before the end of next week.

Independent observers have however contradicted Ojukwu’s statement by confirming that the Ekiti State Police Command was ill-prepared for the influx of 10,000 policemen from ten States of the Federation, because many of them were drafted with ordinary batons and not well-equipped to contain the free run of political thugs who, in broad daylight and in the presence of hapless policemen, snatched ballot boxes and macheted opposition polling agents and even shot at the police too, leading to the amputation of the leg of one police officer who resisted them at the Ido/Osi INEC collation center on Saturday evening.

The welfare of many of the policemen deployed was very precarious as many of them walk the streets with only their visible presence without logistical backup.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by Finecat(m): 10:32am On Apr 28, 2009
When will people understand that Ekiti people are not to be left alone to do anything by themselves, they are like a kid. No matter what Ekiti man does there will always be an argument or a fight out of it. If you agree with an Ekiti man, he will argue to diagree for agreeing with him. can you imagine those type of people?
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by debosky(m): 10:37am On Apr 28, 2009
IFELEKE:

Independent observers have however contradicted Ojukwu’s statement by confirming that the Ekiti State Police Command was ill-prepared for the influx of 10,000 policemen from ten States of the Federation, because many of them were drafted with ordinary batons and not well-equipped to contain the[b] free run of political thugs[/b] who, in broad daylight and in the presence of hapless policemen, snatched ballot boxes and macheted opposition polling agents and even shot at the police too, leading to the amputation of the leg of one police officer who resisted them at the Ido/Osi INEC collation center on Saturday evening.

This is sad. The Police cannot control thugs in Ekiti state and were not even properly equipped for their task. It almost sounds like they went under prepared so there would be a violent cover for riggers to carry out their nefarious activities.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by IFELEKE(m): 10:47am On Apr 28, 2009
Finecat:

When will people understand that Ekiti people are not to be left alone to do anything by themselves, they are like a kid. No matter what Ekiti man does there will always be an argument or a fight out of it. If you agree with an Ekiti man, he will argue to diagree for agreeing with him. can you imagine those type of people?
Finecat,
Exactly what are you trying to say?
You mean you can't properly read meanings to people's action and agitations?
YOu claim Ekiti People don't know how to do anything themselves? and who are the people fighting for their rights?
Pray tell me where you come from and I will clearly give you instances when your people have been exploited and cowed into submission by the same people Ekitis are figthing.
It's a pity you and your people have been seriously robbed and dealt with to the extent that you can't see the present happenings in Ekiti as a fight for Liberation which might Ignite same for the country.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by proudly9ja(m): 10:54am On Apr 28, 2009
This is an election in ONE State with 10,000 policemen from 10 other states brought in. Yet we have such a scandalous situation? And 2010 is just next year?

I don't really blame the police. They are not well trained to handle such situations and they are not equipped in any way. The case of the policeman who tried to do his job but was overwhelmed by thugs and now has to be amputated from injuries suffered is a summary of what our police institution has turned to. Totally helpless!
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by fiscob2k(m): 11:03am On Apr 28, 2009
Oni is a good candidate to Ekiti people People are looking at fayemi as a rich man can he do it if he was elect as a governor of Ekiti because Oni knowns what is going on in Ekiti. if it is Oni will do let him do it if it is fayemi fine let him too do , Do Not for ONI is doing Well in EKITI is a Good Governor to EKITI PEOPLE
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by blacksta(m): 11:12am On Apr 28, 2009
Please people manage your expectations - what  do you expect from a bunch of corrupt political officals to do.  They way this thing is being currently staged it looks likely that the Oni has won the election.  We can either turn to the following 1. Civil Disorder  or 2.  the Justice system.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by switch360(f): 11:15am On Apr 28, 2009
This is a national disgrace!! but then it is nothing new as it is the continuation of the shame, What happend to the REBRANDING STUFF?
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by IFELEKE(m): 11:27am On Apr 28, 2009
fiscob2k:

Oni is a good candidate to Ekiti people People are looking at fayemi as a rich man can he do it if he was elect as a governor of Ekiti because Oni knowns what is going on in Ekiti. if it is Oni will do let him do it if it is fayemi fine let him too do , Do Not for ONI is doing Well in EKITI is a Good Governor to EKITI PEOPLE
Go and improve on your lexis and structure, add spelling lessons to it too before you come back and speak on what you don't know.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by steadymind(m): 11:31am On Apr 28, 2009
Segun Oni will soon become Segun Ana. grin
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by manoy(m): 11:32am On Apr 28, 2009
Finecat:

Where is this Goat from?
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by manoy(m): 11:34am On Apr 28, 2009
steadymind:

Segun Oni will soon become Segun Ana. grin

You are funny dude! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by Finecat(m): 11:34am On Apr 28, 2009
IFELEKE:

Finecat,
Exactly what are you trying to say?
You mean you can't properly read meanings to people's action and agitations?
YOu claim Ekiti People don't know how to do anything themselves? and who are the people fighting for their rights?
Pray tell me where you come from and I will clearly give you instances when your people have been exploited and cowed into submission by the same people Ekitis are figthing.
It's a pity you and your people have been seriously robbed and dealt with to the extent that you can't see the present happenings in Ekiti as a fight for Liberation which might Ignite same for the country.

That's a big pile of non-sense. This kind of crap is typical of Ekiti and Oyo states. Before Fayose they murdered Daramola, Fayose got in nothing changed, Oni got in nothing changed. what makes you think Fayemi is their savior? Those people have been like that for years even before they parted from Ondon state. Remember we ti e back in the '80s? who were those burning houses,businesses, cars etc. You argue blindly, Ekiti people are known to be stubborn in Yorubaland.

I'm from lagos states since you asked.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by debosky(m): 11:40am On Apr 28, 2009
Sweet T stop baiting the Ekiti people. We are talking about the failings of the government (specifically the police) with regards to running the elections. Even if the people are violent as you imply, why is the police unable to control the violence? They failed at their jobs and should complain of inadequate support if that was the case.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by manoy(m): 11:43am On Apr 28, 2009
debosky:

Sweet T stop baiting the Ekiti people. We are talking about the failings of the government (specifically the police) with regards to running the elections. Even if the people are violent as you imply, why is the police unable to control the violence? They failed at their jobs and should complain of inadequate support if that was the case.
@ Debosky,thanx so much. Don't mind those people with dysentry and Diarrhea(Mouth).
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by toba1909(m): 11:52am On Apr 28, 2009
Is this part of the rebranding exercise?
The result of the rerun election in 63 wards(173 units) is yet to be announced 3 days after the people's exercised their civic right.
When will Nigeria rise?
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by Pank: 11:53am On Apr 28, 2009
The beauty of any democratic settings is the existence of strong opposition parties.It enthrones competition in the "markert"which in turn brings about a challenge to both the incumbent and the aspiring political office holders to give the dividends of deomcracy to the masses,as PERFORMANCE still remains the antinode to opposition.I am not a politician,and i am not aspiring to be one either,but recent events in our political environement had made me to give credit to Action Congress(AC).They are really a STRONG opposition party.For me,Fayemi can deliver.I wish him success.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by Finecat(m): 11:55am On Apr 28, 2009
debosky:

Debosky, swee T is very correct in his post. Every other states has been to the tribunal and re-ran their elections. how come it's only Ekiti that has to do it 3-4 times?? I can guarantee you that even if Fayemi wins it won't be long b/4 they impeach him. The truth is Democracy only work for people who are patient, Nigeria as a whole are not patient and Ekiti people are even worse. I know exactly what i'm talking about, we have had tons of Ekiti people as family friends.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by manoy(m): 12:01pm On Apr 28, 2009
Pank:

The beauty of any democratic settings is the existence of strong opposition parties.It enthrones competition in the "markert"which in turn brings about a challenge to both the incumbent and the aspiring political office holders to give the dividends of deomcracy to the masses,as PERFORMANCE still remains the antinode to opposition.I am not a politician,and i am not aspiring to be one either,but recent events in our political environement had made me to give credit to Action Congress(AC).They are really a STRONG opposition party.For me,Fayemi can deliver.I wish him success.
Thanx,Laakaye re o ni tan! The source won't run dry.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by debosky(m): 12:03pm On Apr 28, 2009
Finecat:

Debosky, swee T is very correct in his post. Every other states has been to the tribunal and re-ran their elections. how come it's only Ekiti that has to do it 3-4 times?? I can guarantee you that even if Fayemi wins it won't be long b/4 they impeach him. The truth is Democracy only work for people who are patient, Nigeria as a whole are not patient and Ekiti people are even worse. I know exactly what i'm talking about, we have had tons of Ekiti people as family friends.

Finecat & sweet T are one and the same but that is an aside.

The real reason behind the problems in Ekiti is due to a strong opposition. PDP steam rolled it's way to victory in the other states because they did not face formidable opposition, hence no need to employ thugs to enforce a victory. Since they have been challenged in Ekiti, they are pulling out all the stops to win, including rigging.

Impeachment is a legitimate tool, so are disagreement and opposing views - violence is not legitimate and should be stamped out by the police - it is that simple.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by IFELEKE(m): 12:08pm On Apr 28, 2009
Finecat:

That's a big pile of non-sense. This kind of crap is typical of Ekiti and Oyo states. Before Fayose they murdered Daramola, Fayose got in nothing changed, Oni got in nothing changed. what makes you think Fayemi is their savior? Those people have been like that for years even before they parted from Ondon state. Remember we ti e back in the '80s? who were those burning houses,businesses, cars etc. You argue blindly, Ekiti people are known to be stubborn in Yorubaland.

I'm from lagos states since you asked.
You are  demented  with distorted political comments/views.
You don't need to publicly display your shallow knowledge about happenings around you so I'll suggest you go back and get some fact straight from your tutors before you come back here for more schoolings.
Few Corrections:
Daramola wasn't murdered to pave  way for Fayose,he was murdered towards the end of fayose's reign as governor
It's Ondo state not Ondon.
I can go on and on but I don't have time for trivialities.
NitWit
Nitwit
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by Finecat(m): 12:08pm On Apr 28, 2009
debosky:

Finecat & sweet T are one and the same but that is an aside.

The real reason behind the problems in Ekiti is due to a strong opposition. PDP steam rolled it's way to victory in the other states because they did not face formidable opposition, hence no need to employ thugs to enforce a victory. Since they have been challenged in Ekiti, they are pulling out all the stops to win, including rigging.

Impeachment is a legitimate tool, so are disagreement and opposing views - violence is not legitimate and should be stamped out by the police - it is that simple.

I guess you are Nostradamus. who f@ck is sweet T ?? just because he seems to agree with my views, all of a sudden we are one. You people are victims of your imaginations. There will never be peace in Ekiti untill they change their mentality.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by Finecat(m): 12:10pm On Apr 28, 2009
IFELEKE:

You are  demented  with distorted political comments/views.
You don't need to publicly display your shallow knowledge about happenings around you so I'll suggest you go back and get some fact straight from your tutors before you come back here for more schoolings.
Few Corrections:
Daramola wasn't murdered to pave  way for Fayose,he was murdered towards the end of fayose's reign as governor
It's Ondo state not Ondon.
I can go on and on but I don't have time for trivialities.
NitWit
Nitwit

See that's exactly my point, you guys dont have no way of resolving issues than to curse, argue and fight. Need i say more? You post just proved my point.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by Finecat(m): 12:12pm On Apr 28, 2009
Even the best cat i ever had was killed by an Ekiti man. An innocent cat for that matter.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by debosky(m): 12:23pm On Apr 28, 2009
Finecat:

I guess you are Nostradamus. who f@ck is sweet T ?? just because he seems to agree with my views, all of a sudden we are one. You people are victims of your imaginations. There will never be peace in Ekiti untill they change their mentality.

Like I said, let's not get distracted. The lack of peace is a failure of the law enforcement agents. Even if there had been violence in Ekiti in the past, the more reason why adequate preparation and deterrence should have been provided. There are violent people all over the world, but competent law enforcement ensures they are kept in check. This has never been about Ekiti mentality and never will - Niyi Adebayo was elected without rancour, so was Fayose initially. Violence arose due to intense opposition, which can and should be stamped out by the police.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by Emperoh(m): 12:28pm On Apr 28, 2009
I am totally ashamed of the leadership of this country
Simple election for a population not more than 1million?
Now they have a strong opposition and they are blabbing.

I hope my fellow Anambrarians will rise up to them next year!!
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by Finecat(m): 12:38pm On Apr 28, 2009
Emperoh:

I am totally ashamed of the leadership of this country
Simple election for a population not more than 1million?
Now they have a strong opposition and they are blabbing.

I hope my fellow Anambrarians will rise up to them next year!!

Good point there emperoh. That is why i call Nigeria a failed state. Everybody in Nigeria think they are too smart they over analyze things. When did serving people of a state becomes a do or die event? We behave like glorify monkies, the general masses encourage the politicians to loot when they stroke their egos. Fasola was lecturing his commissioners not to steal public money in order to help friends send their children abroad. Every household in Nigeria wish that his family member is in Government. it's the quickest way to riches.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by IFELEKE(m): 12:49pm On Apr 28, 2009
Finecat:

See that's exactly my point, you guys dont have no way of resolving issues than to curse, argue and fight. Need i say more? You post just proved my point.
I would have loved to condescend to your level and give you some schoolings that you obviously lack but am presently occupied.
Remind me after the peaceful resolution of the crisis in my state.
I owe you one.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by Iranoladun(f): 1:29pm On Apr 28, 2009
O ma se o! I'm sorry for naija! Election in LGAs with less than 1 million we failed to conclude within 3 days!!! South Africa completed the whole country elections & announced the results within 48hours.

I guess the selfish, egoistic, myopic greed of Paddy De Paddy party (or is it People Destructive Party, or People Deceiving party? ) will not allow them to tow the path of righteousness! Ekiti kete, please fight for your right do not allow anybody to rubbish your freely given mandate of your choice! cool kiss

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Describe Labour (NLC) And Tuc In One Word / SHOCKING!!! Which Of The State Governors Is This Man (see Shocking Picture) / Senate Insists, No More Bow And Go For Ministerial Nominees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.