Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,784 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:50 PM

Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! (13867 Views)

Poll: Opinion poll: who wins the Ekiti rerun election?

Fayemi (AC): 82% (14 votes)
Segun Oni (PDP): 17% (3 votes)
This poll has ended

Fashola, Segun Oni, Amaechi, Ezekwesili, Danbazzau May Make Buhari’s Cabinet. / Do You Think Segun Oni Really Deserves This Kind Of Insult From Governor Fayose? / APC Wins First Election In Kwara State!!! PDP declared instead!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by lazywealth(m): 7:01pm On Apr 29, 2009
The so called pdp are ''party destroying people" It is conspicous very well in Ekiti
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by Kobojunkie: 7:03pm On Apr 29, 2009
Jairzinho:

Koboko na babe? *that explains it,show me a US based nigerian lady that understands politics & . . . . . . . . , *  lipsrsealed

You may not be far from the truth,its the brazeness that trips me,na wa !  cry cry cry

Gosh! Nigeria must be proud to have brainy people like you and the lot!! Quick to determine the worth of a persons contribution by the persons assumed gender and location!!

You folks must be a national treasures!! Never mind that you have yet to produce any intelligible answer to my questions to you so far, Or that in the last 24 hours, the tables have turned so far as to reveal that you have little or no idea of what was going on, as you initially claimed you did.  The best retort in honor of your dear country is to try to attack my person and claim victory by doing so!!

Up Nigeria!!

WOOHO!!!
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by Nobody: 10:55pm On Apr 29, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Gosh! Nigeria must be proud to have brainy people like you and the lot!! Quick to determine the worth of a persons contribution by the persons assumed gender and location!!

You folks must be a national treasures!! Never mind that you have yet to produce any intelligible answer to my questions to you so far, Or that in the last 24 hours, the tables have turned so far as to reveal that you have little or no idea of what was going on, as you initially claimed you did.  The best retort in honor of your dear country is to try to attack my person and claim victory by doing so!!

Up Nigeria!!

WOOHO!!!

WOOHOO. . . lawd have mercy.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by Jairzinho(m): 1:11am On Apr 30, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Up Nigeria!!

WOOHO!!!

madam,take it easy. . . . . . noone is limiting ur abilities to your gender or location,however as you may have observed from other responses here ,you certainly exhibit (with all due respect) a certain naivety to the situation in Nigeria. We all pray & hope things move the way you have reasoned,unfortunately that isn't the case.

Ok. No offence. Cheers wink
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by Kobojunkie: 1:38am On Apr 30, 2009
Jairzinho:

madam,take it easy. . . . . . noone is limiting ur abilities to your gender or location,however as you may have observed from other responses here ,you certainly exhibit (with all due respect) a certain naivety to the situation in Nigeria. We all pray & hope things move the way you have reasoned,unfortunately that isn't the case.

Ok. No offence. Cheers wink

Why don't you worry about your understanding of the situations in Nigeria?  I mean the events of the last 24 hours alone have shown that you, have little understanding of how things work in the Nigeria. If you did, you would have positioned yourself better in this debate by at least ensuring you are open to whatever else happens, rather than debate yourself into a corner as you and your friends did. The revelations of the last 24 hours have shown that being quick to judgment exposes a seriously naive approach to Nigerians issues, don't you think?  After all the claims of having it all figured out, the tables turn and you think your initial claim was not a naive one?  Why worry about me and my understanding, when you have your understanding to work on? Focus on yourself here, and when you reach a level where you can successfully predict how these things will go, then you worry about my perception.

Keep your chosen set of "delusions" and leave me to mine, OK? grin grin
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by Jairzinho(m): 1:48am On Apr 30, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Why don't you worry about your understanding of the situations in Nigeria? I mean the events of the last 24 hours alone have shown that you, have little understanding of how things work in the Nigeria. If you did, you would have positioned yourself better in this debate by at least ensuring you are open to whatever else happens, rather than debate yourself into a corner as you and your friends did. The revelations of the last 24 hours have shown that being quick to judgment exposes a seriously naive approach to Nigerians issues, don't you think? After all the claims of having it all figured out, the tables turn and you think your initial claim was not a naive one? Why worry about me and my understanding, when you have your understanding to work on? Focus on yourself here, and when you reach a level where you can successfully predict how these things will go, then you worry about my perception.

Keep your chosen set of [s]"delusions" and leave me to mine[/s], OK? grin grin

I certainly don't have any delusions. Your latest post generates more heat than light . . . . . . .
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by Kobojunkie: 1:55am On Apr 30, 2009
Jairzinho:

I certainly don't have any delusions. Your latest post generates more heat than light . . . . . . .

Expected response!! Ignore everything else but focus on telling me you do not have delusions. Keep telling yourself that! lol

Don't bother trying to sell me that line. Worry more about getting yourself to believe that. OK? grin grin
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by ubandire(m): 8:50am On Apr 30, 2009
WELL I'VE COME TO DISCOVER SOMETHING,AND THAT IS FOR YOU TO BE REGARDED AS A TRUE DEMOCRAT YOU HAVE TO STAND UP AND CRITICIZE THE PDP.TINUBU,FAYOSE,JIDE AWE AND RAUF(ROUGH)AREGBESOLA ARE ALL WELL KNOWN MISCREANTS.WHO'S BETTER?WHAT DID TINUBU DO WITH LASIEC DURING THE LAST LOCAL GOVERNMENT" SELECTIONS" IN LAGOS.PLEASE I STAND TO BE COUNTERED,WHERE DID AC HOLD PRIMARY ELECTIONS THROUGH OUT NIGERIA?WHO ARE THE TRUE DEMOCRATS?NIGERIANS PLEASE LET US ALWAYS STAND FOR THE TRUTH,THAN RESORTING TO HYPOCRISY 'COS IT WON'T HELP US.THEY ARE ALL THE SAME.BUT NIGERIA WILL SURVIVE.LONG LIVE NAIRA LAND,LONG LIVE NIGERIA!
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by ubandire(m): 9:15am On Apr 30, 2009
i think ac should channel the resources they use in making too much noise,propaganda and lies,to really winning elections,these are not days when cheap popularity translates to victory at the elections.this same ac in anticipation of non-existent victory described the election as the fairest and best election in nigeria,but the next morning when they discovered they had lost,went to the media and started shouting foul,please ac should stop overheating the polity,please nigerians do not be deceived.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by yicob(m): 12:36pm On Apr 30, 2009
The feasibility of declaring AC the winner is Zero !
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by Bolarge(m): 2:14pm On Apr 30, 2009
. . So much for Mr. President's electoral reforms.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by kayjegs: 4:05pm On Apr 30, 2009
I am totally disappointed. I wonder what this country will turn to in just 5 years from now. This is getting serious and no longer making sense that people continue to see the political office as a place they must be at all cost. This isnt good for democracy. We still need colonial masters around to teach us how to do things. I hope the youths are not copying this. Please let us strive to make the country better and leave these idiots called our leaders for now to do their thing. Their souls will never rest for what they have done. They are making the future of most Nigerian youths and generations yet unborn frustrating. SHAME ON YOU SO CALLED ELDERS. PDP the worst set of people I have ever seen. Let justice reign.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by tombola: 4:09pm On Apr 30, 2009
Most of you guys are not on the ground and you just talk against the govet, inec and PDP just for the sake of it - why not go and find out the true state of things b4 coming here to rant?
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by Remii(m): 8:36am On May 01, 2009
tombola:

Most of you guys are not on the ground and you just talk against the govet, inec and PDP just for the sake of it - why not go and find out the true state of things b4 coming here to rant?

Just as they are not on ground in South Africa, Ghana and other good democracies. Do we have to be everywhere physically to believe what is going on when there are fellers of the situation all over. We should call a spade a spade. our politicians are not doing well. Shikena.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by Pk001(m): 4:02pm On May 01, 2009
WELL I'VE COME TO DISCOVER SOMETHING,AND THAT IS FOR YOU TO BE REGARDED AS A TRUE DEMOCRAT YOU HAVE TO STAND UP AND CRITICIZE THE PDP.TINUBU,FAYOSE,JIDE AWE AND RAUF(ROUGH)AREGBESOLA ARE ALL WELL KNOWN MISCREANTS.WHO'S BETTER?WHAT DID TINUBU DO WITH LASIEC DURING THE LAST LOCAL GOVERNMENT" SELECTIONS" IN LAGOS.PLEASE I STAND TO BE COUNTERED,WHERE DID AC HOLD PRIMARY ELECTIONS THROUGH OUT NIGERIA?WHO ARE THE TRUE DEMOCRATS?NIGERIANS PLEASE LET US ALWAYS STAND FOR THE TRUTH,THAN RESORTING TO HYPOCRISY 'COS IT WON'T HELP US.THEY ARE ALL THE SAME.BUT NIGERIA WILL SURVIVE.LONG LIVE NAIRA LAND,LONG LIVE NIGERIA!

I truly support u.
Tinibu and co are hypocrites
We should not use sentiments to Judge.
Both AC and PDP Have Good and bad Elements
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by Kobojunkie: 4:05pm On May 01, 2009
Pk001:

I truly support u.
Tinibu and co are hypocrites
We should not use sentiments to Judge.
Both AC and PDP Have Good and bad Elements

easier said than done as we are still talking of Nigeria and Nigerians here!! lol
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by Eziachi: 4:26pm On May 01, 2009
ubandire:

i think ac should channel the resources they use in making too much noise,propaganda and lies,to really winning elections,these are not days when cheap popularity translates to victory at the elections.this same ac in anticipation of non-existent victory described the election as the fairest and best election in nigeria,but the next morning when they discovered they had lost,went to the media and started shouting foul,please ac should stop overheating the polity,please nigerians do not be deceived.

You mean channelling it into rigging, hiring ballot box snatchers and ballot paper stuffers? I think that is what really winning election means in Nigeria.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by labidox: 3:45pm On May 02, 2009
must pdp win at all cost?most loosers continue to be returned as winners all the time?it is sad story that we are actually moving backward instead of forward .we need to know want happened in ekiti state.who tried to make ayoka adebayo to act agains her conscience?why was she declared wanted ?i beg i am tired of do or die politics oh
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by yicob(m): 8:38am On May 03, 2009
Any gists ? When will pdp be announced the winner? We cant wait to hear the result o !
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by morgans(m): 5:43pm On May 03, 2009
let's just pray for God"s will for Ekiti , for He alone knows the best man.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by yicob(m): 10:22pm On May 03, 2009
Rerun election would take place in Oye Ekiti on Tuesday 5th May 09 amidst tight security. AC not in support of the rerun announcement. Calls for an official notification from INEC.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by orpeyemeen(f): 3:39pm On May 04, 2009
Although im not an indigene of the state but my school is in the state and we are @ home in 4 the past three month just because of this chaos.Whether Oni or Fayemi becomes the next Governor 4 me i dont relly care what i care about is that they should do this things papapa and let us be able to ressume.Me im fed up now. im in university of education ikere-ekiti. PLEASE OH WE ARE TIRED OF BEING @ HOME EKITI PEOPLE>,  embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed[i][/i]
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by yicob(m): 5:18pm On May 04, 2009
@ Ope, must u post ur pics ?
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by mogentle(m): 6:12pm On May 05, 2009
http://twitter.com/ekitirr
If ward figures hold up, totals for Oye I & 2 are: AC - 766 and PDP - 1142; for a differential in favor of PDP of 376. Stand by for details
27 minutes ago from web Total for Ward 2 may be AC - 521, PDP - 557 Stand by for details,
30 minutes ago from web Totat for Ward 2 may be AC - 245, PDP - 585. Stand by for details,
33 minutes ago from web In 17 wards (out of a total of 36) with twitted results below so far, we have AC - 416; PDP - 617. 19 more wards to go,
about 1 hour ago from web WARD 2 UNIT 2: AC 27, PDP 80
about 1 hour ago from txt WARD 2 UNIT 3: AC 20, PDP 80
about 1 hour ago from txt WARD 2 UNIT 11: AC 22 PDP 61
about 1 hour ago from txt WARD 2 UNIT 15: AC 5 PDP 4

http://twitter.com/ekitirr
about 1 hour ago from txt Ward 2, Unit 16: AC 11 PDP 22
about 1 hour ago from txt UNIT 6, WARD 2: AC 1, PDP 16
about 1 hour ago from txt Unit 9 (Aye, Ilese II), Ward II: AC 11 PDP 25
about 1 hour ago from txt UNIT 4, WARD 2: AC 19, PDP 47 VOID 6
about 2 hours ago from txt Unit 5, Ward II: AC 13, PDP 27
about 2 hours ago from txt Unit 10, Ward I: Total votes 73, AC 29, PDP 37, CPP 1, MRDD 2, Void votes 4
about 2 hours ago from txt Oye Ward I, Unit 5: AC 34, PDP 59
about 2 hours ago from txt Ward I, Imogun Iworo Unit 15, AC 13, PDP 16; VOID 2; UNUSED BALLOT PAPERS 454
about 2 hours ago from txt Ward 1 Unit 13: AC - 59, PDP - 18 ANPP - 9
about 2 hours ago from web UNIT 11, OYE WARD 1, AC 8, PDP 53 VOID 6
about 2 hours ago from txt Unit 17, Ward I: AC 59, PDP 13 Invalid 12 (Awogbemi's House, Ileseu I)
about 2 hours ago from txt Ward 2 Unit 15 (Unity) AC - 5, PDP - 4
about 2 hours ago from web
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by duduspace(m): 6:38pm On May 05, 2009
yicob:

@ Ope, must u post ur pics ?

I tire o, e be like say Ope dey sell something. Okay Ope, I wan buy would you mind following me to my room? grin grin tongue
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by Nobody: 6:48pm On May 05, 2009
duduspace:

I tire o, e be like say Ope dey sell something. Okay Ope, I wan buy would you mind following me to my room? grin grin tongue

I am sorry that is a bit disrespectful.

If she is comfortable with her pics on the internet, so be it. . . . . .just deal with it.

I think she is pretty . . . . .lol
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by duduspace(m): 7:23pm On May 05, 2009
mikeansy:

I am sorry that is a bit disrespectful.

If she is comfortable with her pics on the internet, so be it. . . . . .just deal with it.

I think she is pretty . . . . .lol

Well, if yu say so, did I ever mention I was uncomfortable with her pics? I like the pics and that is why I want her to follow me to my room nah if na wowo girl I for ask? no disrespect meant at all but the pic na advertisement anyway. It is definitely not advisable for her to have her pics online though for so many reasons I can think of.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by Nobody: 7:25pm On May 05, 2009
orpeyemeen,
must u post ur pix. well, u re not fine at all.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by Thadude(m): 7:29pm On May 05, 2009
@ orpeyemeen

See promo, naija too much.
Well shall you fine small, i see say ur lip stick dey fresh
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by OneNaija(m): 7:29pm On May 05, 2009
Ekiti latest: INEC set to declare Oni governor

Baring any last minute changes, the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, may have concluded plans to declare Mr. Gbenga Oni of the People’s Democratic party, PDP as Governor of Ekiti State on Tuesday.

The plan according to informed sources have been concluded after INEC is alleged to have jerked up voters in Idi-Osi, Oni’s Local Government from 7,000 to 15,000voters to give the embattled former Governor an edge over Dr. Kayode Fayemi of the rival Action Congress, AC. Idi-Osi, according to records from INEC only has 7,000 registered voters.

Pointblanknews.com also gathered that INEC is alleged to have also manipulated the results of some local governments in the State where Fayemi is said to be leading, to give Oni an edge ahead of the planned declaration of the PDP candidate as the winner.

Sources informed Pointblanknews.com that the Ekiti Resident Commissioner, Mrs. Olusola Adebayo, an alleged mistress of former President Olusegun Obasanjo, after resigning went straight to Abeokuta and met with the former President at the Ota farm where she was advised by the former President to go back to her position.

The source said former President Obasanjo had rebuked her for taking steps that are dangerous to the survival of PDP in the South West and had directed her to go back and do all she can to ensure that PDP reclaims the seat of power in Ekiti State.

Already, armed soldiers and policemen have been drafted to Ekiti State to quell any mayhem that may break out after the announcement. Inside security sources told Pointblanknews.com that the armed security personnel have been secretly directed to “shoot any trouble maker.”

As at the time of filling this report, Vice President Good Luck Jonathan is meeting with former President Obasanjo at the Ota Farm meeting lounge of the former General. Details of the meeting are not yet known but sources say it might not be unconnected with the situation in Ekiti State where the PDP is desperately looking for a victory.

http://pointblanknews.com/os1692.html
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by yicob(m): 8:13pm On May 05, 2009
Pdp on the verge of winning as Inec validates ido osi result.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by AloyEmeka9: 8:16pm On May 05, 2009
Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Dancing naked in the sun
By Luke Onyekakeyah

NIGERIA is dancing naked in the sun in broad daylight and the entire world is watching the ugly spectacle. Pictures of the ugly scene are flying left, right and centre around the world. The stage is set in Ekiti State. The show of shame is playing out unceasingly. No one knows when it will end and what would be the outcome. I pray that the outcome would be savoury anyway. But not after the country has been littered? What is the expectation? Of what use is salt that has lost its taste? It is only good to be thrown out and matched underfoot by men. That is our situation after our "honour" has been trashed.

advertisement

The country is literally naked bathing and dancing in the sun to the full glare of the whole world. This is happening without an iota of shame. It is akin to a mad man bathing stark naked in a river to the full glare of the public. He has no sense of shame. He sees noting wrong in his action. He can't even help himself. Can someone please rush a piece of cloth to cover this stinking madness? After exposing herself in this awful manner, what will the country worth in the eyes of the world that has seen her unclothedness? Can a madman be called to a family meeting?

Certainly, madmen don't exhibit shame when they are naked. They walk about the streets feeling no qualms as if nothing happened. They even smile at you when chanced. An Igbo adage says the shame of the madman falls on his brothers and not the madman. The shame of Nigeria's madness falls on her innocent citizens and the rest of African countries that are looking up to her for leadership on the continent. I pity Mrs. Dora Akunyili for stressing herself unnecessarily with a grandiose re-branding Nigeria project. How do you re-brand a madman who has bathed and danced naked in a market square? How do you convince the world that the man was only joking? Do you joke with something serious?

The truth is that once the unclothedness has been exposed in the market square, the man remains mad in the eyes of the public. When children see him they run away. The adults wouldn't countenance him anymore. He would never be invited to a discussion with the elders even after he had been covered in new clothes. And, it would be hard to erase that stigma. Nigeria is in that disgusting mess.

Two weeks ago, or thereabout, President Yar'Adua was lamenting that the G-20 countries meeting held in London was concluded without Nigeria being invited. He was concerned that Nigeria with all that she has in terms of human and material resources was excluded from such an important forum. He wondered what Nigeria lacked that made her not to be invited to such a meeting. Who is still looking for an answer?

The naked dance of the country in Ekiti State partly clearly answers the president's question. There is something Nigeria doesn't have that would continue to make her a reject among nations. The country doesn't have order and integrity. Lawlessness is her own hallmark. Incidentally, these are necessary attributes for countries that belong to the G-20. The civilised world cherishes these attributes but we lack them. Here many people are above the law. This group could do anything with impunity. In a matter like election, they want to be foisted on the people at all cost. With this mindset, it doesn't matter if people die so long as the selfish objective is achieved.

After bathing and dancing naked in public and exposing the country to shame and ridicule, how on earth do you expect men with integrity to invite the country to their meeting? An Igbo adage says when a child washes his hands clean he eats with elders. Nigeria can't be invited to a meeting of the global leaders just like that without first meeting the requirements. She must literally wash her hands clean before she could be allowed to a meeting of the G-20 countries.

Since the G-20 countries meeting are held to chart a course for a better world economic and social order, what would a nation that lacks a modicum of law and order contribute at such forum? What has Nigeria got right that the rest of the world could copy from? Would the country be doing one thing at home and saying another thing outside? That would be sheer hypocrisy?

The Ekiti re-run election ought to be a clearly local event. Being an election in just 10 out of the 16 local councils of the state, in civilised societies, few people would have known about it. The election would have been conducted administratively without noise. If the election were to be held in any of the G-20 group of countries, no one would have heard about it. It would probably be heard in the local news but certainly not in the national news. Few newspapers would have reported it or made it headlines because of the smallness of the area.

But look at how the entire media channels in the country have been overtaken by the Ekiti re-run election. Our newspapers are awash with frightening headlines. Some call it battle; others scream blood, mayhem, bribe, do-or-die and such nauseating titles that paint the country black. The events are frightening as they unfold.

What Nigeria calls democracy is a charade. The political class, who exploit the docility of the citizenry to their advantage, is deceiving the people. The thrust of a democratic government is the right of the people to freely elect their leaders without hindrance or coercion. But this is far from what we are practising here. As far as Nigeria is concerned, there is no free and fair election in the country. Nearly all the leaders that are presiding over the affairs of this country at all levels were foisted on the people. If elections were to be free and fair in this country, most of the leaders wouldn't be there. Sadly enough, because the right people are not elected into office the country is stagnated. The mission of those foisted on the people is not to effect change but to steal.

The contention in Ekiti State is not based on any ideology or altruistic desire to improve the lot of the people. It is a fight over the State's resources. Elsewhere, political arguments are based on ideology. In the civilised world where true democracy is practised, there are rightists, leftists, centre rank parties. The ideology of these parties differs only in the way things should be done but the ultimate is to improve the lot of society and welfare of the people. This explains why developed societies look alike even though different governments run them on different ideologies.

Viewed from this angle, what are the Ekiti contestants out to offer? Where can we say is the dividing line between them? There is certainly nothing in this regard looking at the country's woes. Since 1999 when this democracy began the ordinary citizens have borne the brunt of political debauchery and deceipt. The people should be allowed to vote for whosoever is their choice without hindrance in the spirit of democratic philosophy.

What is happening in Ekiti State is a direct consequence of the undemocratic political posture of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). There is no level playing field for political contest in the entire country. The overvaulting ambition of the PDP to control all the states of the federation is undemocratic. I am confounded that state governors and legislators who won election on the platform of other political parties are being coerced to cross over to the PDP. If all the governors and lawmakers were in the PDP, would you still call that democracy? That would be a one-party system of government, which is unconstitutional.

Furthermore, the statement credited to the PDP that it would rule the country for 60 years is again undemocratic. The meaning of the statement is that the PDP has already announced in its favour the results of all the elections that would be conducted in the country in the next 60 years whether Nigerians like it or not. There is nothing wrong in the PDP ruling for that length of time if and only if the people want it on the basis of a free and fair election. But there is something wrong if based on that dream the PDP now resorts to a do-or-die politics to ensure that it captures all the states of the federation and foist its candidates. That would be dangerous for the country.

The way out of the Ekiti State debacle is to let the will of the people prevail. Let whosoever the people have voted for be declared winner. The people don't want to be cheated anymore. They don't want the wrong candidate foisted on them. This may be the beginning of better future election when the people would stand to defend their votes.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Obi Promises N5m For Information On Bodies In Ezu River / I Will Lead PDP To Retake Power In 2019 – Agbaje / Atiku: Segun Showunmi Speaks On The 'Stolen Mandate'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.