Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,478 members, 7,816,130 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:08 AM

Russia Launches Cruise Missles From Warships In Caspian Sea - Foreign Affairs (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Russia Launches Cruise Missles From Warships In Caspian Sea (9327 Views)

Top Ten Most Powerful/ Best Warships In Africa. See Nigeria. / Largest Warships In History / Russia Launches "Satan 2" A New Nuclear Missile (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Russia Launches Cruise Missles From Warships In Caspian Sea by Appleyard(m): 10:17pm On Oct 09, 2015
Tkester:
Breaking News!

According to a Syrian Army official, government forces have retaken the town of Baksa with the aid of Russian air support.

"The Syrian Army faced steep resistance from well-trained and experienced militants, who previously fought in Afghanistan and Iraq," General Samir Suleiman, political chief of the Syrian Army, told reporters.

"However, fearing Russian airstrikes, they abandoned Baksa."

The town was captured by Nusra Front militants in the beginning of August. A Russian airstrike three days ago destroyed an arms depot in Baksa, greatly damaging the militants' capabilities.

Suleiman also added that the bodies of approximately 40 civilians were found in the town, murdered by the terrorist group.

Roughly 140 sorties have been carried out by the Russian military since the Syria campaign began.

On Friday, the Russian Defense Ministry released video of airstrikes conducted against the self-proclaimed Islamic State terrorist group south of Tertiyah.

According to a Syrian Army official, government forces have retaken the town of Baksa with the aid of Russian air support.

"The Syrian Army faced steep resistance from well-trained and experienced militants, who previously fought in Afghanistan and Iraq," General Samir Suleiman, political chief of the Syrian Army, told reporters.

Russian military air group at Khmeimim airbase in Syria
© SPUTNIK/ DMITRIY VINOGRADOV
Why Russia Could Win the Fight Against ISIL in Syria
"However, fearing Russian airstrikes, they abandoned Baksa."

The town was captured by Nusra Front militants in the beginning of August. A Russian airstrike three days ago destroyed an arms depot in Baksa, greatly damaging the militants' capabilities.

Suleiman also added that the bodies of approximately 40 civilians were found in the town, murdered by the terrorist group.

Roughly 140 sorties have been carried out by the Russian military since the Syria campaign began.

On Friday, the Russian Defense Ministry released video of airstrikes conducted against the self-proclaimed Islamic State terrorist group south of Tertiyah.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/middleeast/20151009/1028291556/Baksa-Syria-Retaken.html#

I know Missy89 will most certainly not like this news. But Sorry missy is not your fault!

Good news to cheer aboutgrin.

but please, i would like to correct an impression here: it is that, in as mush as Missy89 do argue with Shymm3x on certain issues, it doesn't implies that she is a US stooge or typically pro-west or Putin hater. No, far from it. So, those of us from the outside pouncing on her like thata especially when diverghing with Shymm3x, i must say, is not too fair. I understand how we all want the success of whomever is fighting this hordes of hell called ISIS. But the truth is, opposite or parralel views to some degree are always part of any analytical discourse. So, lets learn to respect each others view and stop provoking each other with abusive words. For this was one of the reasons shymm3x left the foreign affairs section for a very long time, so pls, lets not insult and discourage one another. Pls. Thank you all.

As for you, Shymm3x and Missy89,cheesy they way two of you seperately attacked klj14 or what, almost caused me to roll out of my bed in repulsive laughterDgrin It goes to show that a third party should not meddle in the bedroom activities of Husband and Wife. gringringringrin

1 Like

Re: Russia Launches Cruise Missles From Warships In Caspian Sea by Lucasbalo(m): 10:19pm On Oct 09, 2015
Missy89:

I am actually in support of the Russian intervention Just not impressed by the way Putinbots are taking everything the Russians are doing at face value. Any serious person will know that no one can put Syria together again and no matter how much military power any coalition add to the conflict, Terrorism wont end there and it is all about geopolitics and power projection. Just tired of the Russia is the good guy US is the bad guy simplified logic most NL anti west members are trying to portray lately.

I have been working and traveling. Great gig

You are absolutely correct. That part of the world is a mess and no one can fix it until the middle east leaders are tired of war. The greatest undoing of the American leadership over the years is getting involved in the middle east purposely for oil and Israel. The two wars of Iraq and Afghanistan costs US over $2Trillions not to mentioned unnecessary lives lost. Putin will find out in due course he's getting himself in a quagimire. Personal, I am glad my America is leaving that hellhole for Putin to clean up. Good luck to him.
Re: Russia Launches Cruise Missles From Warships In Caspian Sea by Nobody: 10:20pm On Oct 09, 2015
Missy89:

I am actually in support of the Russian intervention Just not impressed by the way Putinbots are taking everything the Russians are doing at face value. Any serious person will know that no one can put Syria together again and no matter how much military power any coalition add to the conflict, Terrorism wont end there and it is all about geopolitics and power projection. Just tired of the Russia is the good guy US is the bad guy simplified logic most NL anti west members are trying to portray lately.

Missy89 one proof is sufficient for the seeker of truth. You've done well so far leave the Putinbots alone as they don't understand the nature of the conflict. Only Muslims with sound intellect and Non-Muslims with deep insight will understand the crisis in MENA. The solution to the MENA and other Muslim countries crisis lies in the hands of Muslim faithfuls. Any outsider that tries to mediate in the crisis will escalate it further.
Re: Russia Launches Cruise Missles From Warships In Caspian Sea by Appleyard(m): 10:21pm On Oct 09, 2015
Missy89:

Stop stalking my posts lol. Are you sure this is about Russia and the US?
gringrin What are you insinuating, missy?cheesy You and this your Tkester eh: cheesy cool
Re: Russia Launches Cruise Missles From Warships In Caspian Sea by castrogee(m): 10:31pm On Oct 09, 2015
Missy89:

Well, we shall see how things pan out in a couple of weeks
Re: Russia Launches Cruise Missles From Warships In Caspian Sea by Missy89(f): 10:31pm On Oct 09, 2015

1 Like

Re: Russia Launches Cruise Missles From Warships In Caspian Sea by Tkester: 10:37pm On Oct 09, 2015
Appleyard:
gringrin What are you insinuating, missy?cheesy You and this your Tkester eh: cheesy cool

She's my new crush. Though I hate to see her wail, wail and wail - If only she understands. it's just not good for her health. She should just accept the fact that Putin has achieved what NATO has not achieve in its entire history. Off course she hates to see Putin and Russia snatch the crown from Obama and America. But like shymex said - Welcome to Russia century!

1 Like

Re: Russia Launches Cruise Missles From Warships In Caspian Sea by NairaMinted: 10:47pm On Oct 09, 2015
These people are not even bothering to hide who supplies who with what anymore...... I hope Syrian/Russian intelliegence is on top of this and will take out these shipments before they reach the rebels.

Saudi Arabia wants to establish a democracy in Syria..... HAHAHAHA.... What a joke! The world has come to sh*t!

http://www.businessinsider.com/syria-rebels-and-tow-missiles-2015-10?utm_content=bufferc6fb9&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

[size=18pt]Saudi Arabia just replenished Syrian rebels with one of the most effective weapons against the Assad regime[/size]

A Saudi Arabian official has reportedly disclosed that the Sunni kingdom sent Syrian rebels a new batch of one of the most effective weapons for battling against the Assad regime this week.

BBC correspondent Frank Gardner tweeted that a Saudi official confirmed the delivery of 500 TOW antitank missiles to the Free Syrian Army (FSA).

The FSA is currently being squeezed from all directions by the Syrian military, Russian airstrikes, and competition from jihadist fighters, including ISIS.

The delivery of the TOW missiles — which have also been provided by the CIA — will increase the capabilities of the FSA against Syrian armor, and it would enable them to more effectively battle against Assad's recent military advances.

"Five hundred TOWs is not an inconsequential number," Jeffrey White, a defense fellow at The Washington Institute, told Business Insider.

"I don't think it will be a revolutionary event, but it will increase the attrition of regime armor, which will make it harder for the regime to conduct offensive operations."

TOW missiles, as Popular Mechanics notes, are guided missiles that could thoroughly damage tanks, armored carriers, and other vehicles that the Assad regime might send into the field. And, unlike other projectiles used against armored targets, such as RPGs, TOW missiles can be used from a considerable distance.

On Thursday, the FSA and other affiliated rebel units carried out a "tank massacre" after the Syrian government launched a large offensive backed by Russian airstrikes to retake northern portions of Hama province.

According to the Syrian Observatory of Human Rights, the rebel forces armed "with US-made TOW missiles … [and] other guided rockets ... caused the destruction … of over 15 armored cars, vehicles, and tanks."

syria map of controlREUTERS

White said that the rolling hills and plains in Hama and Idlib are ideally suited to the use of TOWs. Assad's armor has little protection or cover in the region and are ideal targets for the guided missiles.

The presence of these weapons has continued to cause extreme damage among Assad's forces as his offensive has continued into Friday.

The Syrian offensive in Hama is aimed at dislodging rebels from the region while creating a larger buffer between rebel forces and Syria's Alawite heartland in Latakia. The offensive has been backed by heavy Russian bombings, but it has so far failed to dislodge the rebels.

"There is an attempt by the regime to advance, but the situation is under our control," a rebel fighter involved in the counteroffensive against Assad's forces told Reuters.

The reported injection of an additional 500 TOW missiles from Saudi Arabia will be a big boost to the rebels.

The missiles, however, do nothing to counter Russia's continued airstrikes against rebel positions. And Russia is going after the TOW recipients.

In the past, Saudi Arabia and other US allies have suggested funneling man-portable air-defense systems (MANPADs) to the Syrian rebels to help shoot down Syrian, and now Russian, fighter jets. MANPADs are relatively easy-to-use shoulder-launched missiles that could reach enemy aircraft.

However, the US has consistently opposed this idea, as the weapons could conceivably end up in the hands of al Qaeda or its affiliates and be used to down a civilian airliner (or a US military aircraft). Saudi Arabia may also be reluctant to provide these weapons due to the risk of directly antagonizing Moscow and the US.

"If the TOWs are primarily used against Assad armor, that's not the same as being used against Russian personnel," White said.

"If the Saudis were to supply the rebels with surface-to-air missiles, that would be different.

Syria's ground offensive against rebels started on Wednesday in its first close coordination with Russia. The offensive was aimed at four key regions across the provinces of Idlib, which is completely under rebel control, and the contested province of Hama.

The rebel's cache of TOWs, and the resulting "tank massacres," may also have the unintended consequence of forcing the Assad regime to change the nature of their offense.

"If this continues," White warned, "expect to see the [Syrian] regime move away from using armor and start using higher firepower and air operations as a solution."
Re: Russia Launches Cruise Missles From Warships In Caspian Sea by Lucasbalo(m): 7:45am On Oct 10, 2015
ken4jj:

This is a wrong move for Putin on the long run. he is repeating the foolish mistakes of the US in a bid to stand up to the US.The US credibility was lost in the middle east. If not for stupid pride, the US should have no business in the middle east having failed policies all over the region. World leaders just act without thinking about the consequences. The middle east is not europe where people are reasonable, it is a different ball game. They live to fight and die.

This whole Syrian problem is still the same struggle between the Shiites and the Sunnis which will never be solved. What will happen now is that even if there is victory now, the war will resurface sooner than later because the sunnis will never allow Shia Iran of dominating the region while Iran is bent on having an upper hand in the region. This is why Putin should have left them to do their shit instead of getting bugged down in sectarian struggle like the Americans. The sunnis are seeing Putin as defendant of the shittes and they shittes are seeing it as a victory, as long as the Sunni Saudi wants to prevent Shitte Iran from being a regional power, trust them, they will keep sponsoring the terrorists and there will never be peace in that region just to out do the other.

The middle east is not Ukraine, it is a useless region. For Russia to defeat them, then Russia troops will have to be on ground and not leave ever again else whatever gains they made will mount to nothing. It is not worth the casualty they will suffer and a drain of resources for people who can never agree.
One of the foreign policy blunders of the US is to think democracy will work in that region. Pure lie. Dictatorship is the best for that region. If those bad guys were still around, the region will have been safer overall.
Very good points. That place, I mean Middle East is a cursed area. America makes her biggest mistake getting in the midst. After Trillions of dollars and tens of thousands of lives, what do we get, nothing. Over to Putin and his Amen corner. He will find out that Middle East is a cursed no go area. The division between The Shias and The Sunnis will never be sorted out. Putin will find out the popular adage, You break it, You own it.
Re: Russia Launches Cruise Missles From Warships In Caspian Sea by Underground: 11:49am On Oct 10, 2015
Lucasbalo:
Very good points. That place, I mean Middle East is a cursed area. America makes her biggest mistake getting in the midst. After Trillions of dollars and tens of thousands of lives, what do we get, nothing. Over to Putin and his Amen corner. He will find out that Middle East is a cursed no go area. The division between The Shias and The Sunnis will never be sorted out. Putin will find out the popular adage, You break it, You own it.
ken4jj:

This is a wrong move for Putin on the long run. he is repeating the foolish mistakes of the US in a bid to stand up to the US.The US credibility was lost in the middle east. If not for stupid pride, the US should have no business in the middle east having failed policies all over the region. World leaders just act without thinking about the consequences. The middle east is not europe where people are reasonable, it is a different ball game. They live to fight and die.

This whole Syrian problem is still the same struggle between the Shiites and the Sunnis which will never be solved. What will happen now is that even if there is victory now, the war will resurface sooner than later because the sunnis will never allow Shia Iran of dominating the region while Iran is bent on having an upper hand in the region. This is why Putin should have left them to do their shit instead of getting bugged down in sectarian struggle like the Americans. The sunnis are seeing Putin as defendant of the shittes and they shittes are seeing it as a victory, as long as the Sunni Saudi wants to prevent Shitte Iran from being a regional power, trust them, they will keep sponsoring the terrorists and there will never be peace in that region just to out do the other.

The middle east is not Ukraine, it is a useless region. For Russia to defeat them, then Russia troops will have to be on ground and not leave ever again else whatever gains they made will mount to nothing. It is not worth the casualty they will suffer and a drain of resources for people who can never agree.
One of the foreign policy blunders of the US is to think democracy will work in that region. Pure lie. Dictatorship is the best for that region. If those bad guys were still around, the region will have been safer overall.

Apart from reasons bordering on vested interests in Syria, Putin is in Syria to fight these terrorists on foreign turf rather than fight them in the future on Russian soil which will bring closer Zbigniew Bzrzenski's and Paul Wolfowitz's dream of fracturing Russia & any other challenger that stands in the way of U.S. hegemony.
Re: Russia Launches Cruise Missles From Warships In Caspian Sea by Lucasbalo(m): 11:54am On Oct 10, 2015
Underground:

Apart from reasons bordering on vested interests in Syria, Putin is in Syria to fight these terrorists on foreign turf rather than fight them in the future on Russian soil which will bring closer Zbigniew Bzrzenski's and Paul Wolfowitz's dream of fracturing Russia & any other challenger that stands in the way of U.S. hegemony.
Good to Putin. This was what Vice president Dick Cheney told us before US went to war in Iraq and Afghanistan and we all see the after effect of that. As for me, am just delighted that America is getting out of that hell on earth. It's for Putin to clean that up and I doubt if Russian economy can withstand that.
Re: Russia Launches Cruise Missles From Warships In Caspian Sea by Nobody: 12:35pm On Oct 10, 2015
Tkester:
I'm betting that Master Putin will fracture NATO and EU before the end of his first term and that is by 2018. Anybody good observer will see the divide Putin is sowing in EU and by 2017 when Marine Lepen will come on board as the president of France and lead her country outta EU then the message will become clearer to people why you don't mess with the KGB boss.
Long live Mr Vlad!
Putin is considering another term already. If Washington fails to replace him by 2018, they will have to bear another 6 years of Putinocosis.

2 Likes

Re: Russia Launches Cruise Missles From Warships In Caspian Sea by Chukzyfcb(m): 12:33pm On Nov 25, 2015
Great contrbution from yall altho I'm not well versed in history and sorts. But with great fall in Oil price! A depleting reserve & taking into consideration that russia is an Oil exporting country who relies majorly on Income from OIL. How long can they keep up with the fight against isis? "Moscow times" say they spend 4million dollars per day in their fight against syria. Now if they decide to fight against turkey, that cost could double depending on the Intensity of the fight. Their 2016 budget is bout the corner with so much debates seeing how 2015 budget was running on deficit, wouldn't it further tell negatively on their economy & impact adversely on their citizens in the long run. Coz if you ask me, russian purse cannot handle this fight very long. #speaking from an economic point of view tho
Re: Russia Launches Cruise Missles From Warships In Caspian Sea by discman2k2(m): 3:00pm On Feb 15, 2018
Shymm3x:
Missy89

I know ya bosses in Fairfax county and Langley won't like this and they're already counting their losses...but you gotta admit that Putin is now the leader of the free world. Worshiped in Russia. Wild celebrations in Europe. Brits calling the great man from Russia the saviour and the strongest world leader since Ronald Reagan. Africans are also jubilating. Only the yanks are yet to get on board.

The bear has arrived - it's the Russian century! grin

Emperor Putin!

Only th wise ones can comprehend ur proverb, bro. Nice metaphor.
Re: Russia Launches Cruise Missles From Warships In Caspian Sea by scully95: 5:28pm On Feb 15, 2018
Chukzyfcb:
Great contrbution from yall altho I'm not well versed in history and sorts. But with great fall in Oil price! A depleting reserve & taking into consideration that russia is an Oil exporting country who relies majorly on Income from OIL. How long can they keep up with the fight against isis? "Moscow times" say they spend 4million dollars per day in their fight against syria. Now if they decide to fight against turkey, that cost could double depending on the Intensity of the fight. Their 2016 budget is bout the corner with so much debates seeing how 2015 budget was running on deficit, wouldn't it further tell negatively on their economy & impact adversely on their citizens in the long run. Coz if you ask me, russian purse cannot handle this fight very long. #speaking from an economic point of view tho

They can actually keep up this long.. All that you mentioned have failed.. Oil is bouncing back. if for anything ... Russian learned the hard way to sideline Sanctions that was used during the Soviet days.. Another good thing to learn is.. don't use the same idea twice.. And for the receiving end. Once beating Twice shy. Now Russia has been able to evade all the war from the anglozonist empire and turning it to its advantage..

Did you check the map this year ? 2018 ?
Come back next 6 months and tell me whats is going on.. isreal tried recently to attack Syria but also failed cos out of the 18 Cruise missiles it fired, 15 were incercepted by Syrian Air defense system(Russians at play but you cant proof it) and one F-16 shutdown.

Before then the leader of the empire vexed.. Bombed Syrian positions killing 5 Russians. Then Syria declared a no fly zone for the terrorists using its airsace uninvited.

We will soon arrive at the Donbass where nothing flies in the air..

Then who wins ?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Photos: What Some Countries Gives Their Soldiers To Eat On The Battle Field. / Turkish Parliament Approves Sweden’s NATO Membership Bid / Money Becomes Worthless In Venezuela -- Thrown On The Streets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.