Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,747 members, 7,809,856 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:04 PM

Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import (28470 Views)

GT Bank Lifts Restrictions And Limitations On Its Naira Mastercard / CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items / FG Lifts Ban On 41 Imported Items (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by JingoOAU(m): 2:59pm On Oct 08, 2015
What we are saying so far is that we are not yet self-sufficient to produce the quantity and quality of rice needed to feed everybody in this country...I tot Ebonyi, Ogun and some other states have thw wherewithal to feed us all....
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Enesi47: 3:00pm On Oct 08, 2015
gassdon:
Bad policy against local farmer/producer.

This government turn things upside down!

God give APC some sense!
boos can local farmer feed Nigeria?
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by DeKen: 3:01pm On Oct 08, 2015
Is this really good?
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by greaterlove(m): 3:03pm On Oct 08, 2015
The nigerian rice production has really grown. If you go round the market you will discover that there are a lot of made in nigeria rice in the market. Our rice has moved away from the abakaliki rice you grew up with. We now have very good refined made in nigeria rice
jamesbridget13:
be frank, do u buy n eat abakaliki rice?

3 Likes

Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Ilekeh(f): 3:03pm On Oct 08, 2015
jamesbridget13:
it begins with u

Not yet. Give me 5 more years aiight. But many of you are in the position and location to make this happen, but you don't.

Instead many, especially from Aba, IMPORT fake goods to sell in Nigerian markets.

Even an Asian had to tell us that everything in NIgeria is imported.
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Kagarko(m): 3:06pm On Oct 08, 2015
Nice and Great
This government is working
Nobody cares about the wailing of the wailers.
God Bless Nigeria and Nigerians.
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Kagarko(m): 3:06pm On Oct 08, 2015
Nice and Great
This government is working
Nobody cares about the wailing of the wailers.
God Bless Nigeria and Nigerians.
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Khez: 3:08pm On Oct 08, 2015
Bad policy... This will destroy our local production...... .....smh
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by wendixx(f): 3:08pm On Oct 08, 2015
Very bad policy. Why can't they consult experts before doing this. People are already complaining that there are no jobs, the local rice industry that is trying to survive, you decide to cripple it.
Hmmm.. These people have not told us what their hidden agenda for this Nation is Oh!!

Anyway, one thing I know; "THERE IS GOD"!

1 Like

Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Owliver(m): 3:08pm On Oct 08, 2015
Ilekeh:
We're now importing rice?

Can Nigeria just be good at something besides oil?

Can I ever say "My country Nigeria exports textile, cocoa, chicken, rice, palm oil technology etc to other countries"?
Nigeria exports cocoa. wat are you saying

2 Likes

Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Ilekeh(f): 3:11pm On Oct 08, 2015
Owliver:
Nigeria exports cocoa. wat are you saying

Since when? Who knows Nigeria for its cocoa?

We're blessed with lots of land......we should surpass Malaysia in palm oil exportation. We should be #1 in exporting something.
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Nobody: 3:11pm On Oct 08, 2015
jamesbridget13:
be frank, do u buy n eat abakaliki rice?

For health reasons...I hope to reduce my rice intake completely.
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by dckng16(m): 3:11pm On Oct 08, 2015
Is this taking us forward or backward?
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by ANBAKO: 3:11pm On Oct 08, 2015
What of the millions of metric tonnes of rice that GEJ said they were producing? How could you produce this amount without visible farms?

In a bid to win the presidential election at all cost they resorted to lie and figure fabrication. Where is that Agric minister that was all over the place dishing out this figures?

May God help us.

1 Like

Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Dee60: 3:11pm On Oct 08, 2015
SenseiX:

Do you actually think before commenting or are you a programmed robot to automatically kiss ass no matter how stupid the proposal is.

This has basically destroyed all Jonathan and Adesina's efforts to boost local rice production.
Only big time rice smugglers like the Vaswani brothers would benefit from this. As always, Change undecided.

Nothing has changed. The 60% levy is the protection for local millers. Nigeria does not yet produce even 10% of the Rice it consumes, so the levy is what is required so that local rice will still sell well.

At any rate, the CBN ban of forex for Rice is still intact, so nothing has changed. To import rice, you must first import dollars.
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by obailala(m): 3:12pm On Oct 08, 2015
SenseiX:

Do you actually think before commenting or are you a programmed robot to automatically kiss ass no matter how stupid the proposal is.

This has basically destroyed all Jonathan and Adesina's efforts to boost local rice production.
Only big time rice smugglers like the Vaswani brothers would benefit from this. As always, Change undecided.
gassdon:
Bad policy against local farmer/producer.

This government turn things upside down!

God give APC some sense!
DeKen:
Is this really good?
Khez:
Bad policy... This will destroy our local production...... .....smh
wendixx:
Very bad policy. Why can't they consult experts before doing this. People are already complaining that there are no jobs, the local rice industry that is trying to survive, you decide to cripple it.
Hmmm.. These people have not told us what their hidden agenda for this Nation is Oh!!

Anyway, one thing I know; "THERE IS GOD"!
dckng16:
Is this taking us forward or backward?
There is an economic reason behind lifting of the ban; it will make money for the government. It is debatable though if this will affect local rice production positively/negatively. However, I will place my bet on this to positively help local production due to the very high duties presently being introduced.

Nigeria does not still produce enough rice to meet its local consumption, therefore, most of the rice we consume is still imported. Even with the ban in place, Nigeria still imports roughly the same quantity of rice but instead of the rice importers paying import duties to the government, they simply pay this money to smugglers. With the lifting of the ban, a lot of importers would rather pay duties to the customs instead of spending roughly the same amount as bribe to smugglers (who are mostly even customs officers). With the higher duties being imposed now, imported rice would still be more expensive and this would give room for competition for local rice.

In summary, nothing much has changed in terms of encouraging/discouraging local production however, the monies which hitherto accrued to smugglers would now accrue to the government.

5 Likes

Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by MizMyColi(f): 3:12pm On Oct 08, 2015
Keneking:
Great...source

This government is working shocked

lalasticlala

What is this one sayingangry
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by atlwireles: 3:13pm On Oct 08, 2015
Will the importers have access to foreign currency cheesy cheesy Only in Nigeria, one step forward five steps backwards. The Nigerian custom's chief is now making policy decisions for both the ministries of agric and finance. Freaking bunch of jokers lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by otiigba1(m): 3:13pm On Oct 08, 2015
Ilekeh:
We're now importing rice?

Can Nigeria just be good at something besides oil?

Can I ever say "My country Nigeria exports textile, cocoa, chicken, rice, palm oil technology etc to other countries"?
you forgot they also import intelligence, employing foreign white people to run most construction and production companies in nigeria
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by mizmia: 3:14pm On Oct 08, 2015
SenseiX:

It was actually Obasanjo that banned importation of rice for his own selfish interest.
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Owliver(m): 3:15pm On Oct 08, 2015
Ilekeh:

Since when? Who knows Nigeria for its cocoa?

We're blessed with lots of land......we should surpass Malaysia in palm oil exportation. We should be #1 in exporting something.
there lots of cocoa in this village where i currently serve. alhough the farmers are not too serious. but Nigeria exports cocoa trust me
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by AsYouSaid: 3:15pm On Oct 08, 2015
Rice had become a staple food in Nigeria. Rice comes easy and cheap to cook on the menu of over 80% Nigerians daily. If by this policy a bag reduces by 50% to N4000k, the general good of the general number would have been achieved and this is the purpose of governance. We cannot while wanting to boost rice production so that a few percentage of us (local farmers) can get richer allow the over 80% Nigerians that depends on rice consumption daily continue to suffer. Rice unlike cassava do not thrive in every part of Nigeria nor is it that best suited for our climate for ease of cultivation. The comparative advantage law teaches us to strengthen our main areas and depend on others in what they are best suited for. That we want to encourage Innoson to produce vehicles would not make us ban the importation of new, used, and spare parts of vehicle, cos we don't have comparative advantage in that commodity yet neither can Innoson meet the gaping demand. same way that local rice producers cannot yet or arguably even in the future. We should focus on our areas of strength and sensibly support this 'positive policy somersault' for the good of the generality of Nigerians. God Bless You and Yours.
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Ilekeh(f): 3:15pm On Oct 08, 2015
otiigba1:
you forgot they also import intelligence, employing foreign white people to run most construction and production companies in nigeria

It's quite embarrassing that Nigerians call themselves intelligent, but still imports foreigners to build most our infrastructures.

How can we grow in tech, engineering and architecture?
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Ilekeh(f): 3:16pm On Oct 08, 2015
Owliver:
there lots of cocoa in this village where i currently serve. alhough the farmers are not too serious. but Nigeria exports cocoa trust me

You're right, they do, but to what extent?

We're not known for it or for anything besides oil.
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Owliver(m): 3:19pm On Oct 08, 2015
Ilekeh:

You're right, they do, but to what extent?

We're not known for it or for anything besides oil.
we have idiots rulling us if not cocoa would do better. i have even been to cocoa farms here, most are left to rotten while our president wants to be petroleum minister. lol

1 Like

Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Adesiji77: 3:19pm On Oct 08, 2015
I am willing to learn: Is the Customs boss empowered to unilaterally lift ban on rice imports? shocked
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by bashydemy(m): 3:20pm On Oct 08, 2015
SenseiX:

Sorry you wey no be robot when last did you eat local rice? The people who benefited from the ban of importation are the rich and the cabals? We keep buying rice between 9.000 & 12.000 and you never see good news about this development.
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by anonimi: 3:21pm On Oct 08, 2015
IyaIode:
Which kain change be this

The kind change wey dey run belle to give diarrhea.
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Toks2008(m): 3:22pm On Oct 08, 2015
SenseiX:

Apparently you know nothing about importation of rice in relation to smuggling.

Over the years according to "unconfirmed" news,Dangote have benefited immensely from the coded monopoly of being a strong importer of this commodity and even customs have benefited from the good will of Dangote as a thank you for check mating the activities of supposed smugglers.

Nevertheless this has not in any way stopped the infiltration of this commodity but rather has made custom officers feed large on innocent men and women who are looking for a source of income bringing in the commodity which by far surpasses the quality of the local ones.

The effort of Jonathan is not in anyway truncated but on teh contrary, this policy will give teh much needed competition hence making the stake holders buckle up and provide more quality rice at affordable rates.

The bottom line is that each day, the land borders lose millions of naira in duty that should be judiciously paid on bringing in rice because despite the ban on land border route,this commodity still comes in thousands of bags daily and you need to ask those who live around the borders to confirm this.

So dear,this is a welcome development that will bring down the price of the commodity greatly so YES CHANGE IT IS and a positive one.

1 Like

Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Beremx(f): 3:22pm On Oct 08, 2015
Ilekeh:

It's quite embarrassing that Nigerians call themselves intelligent, but still imports foreigners to build most our infrastructures.

ilekeh,frankly speaking, the ordinary man like me wants the price of rice to reduce drastically. I don't care how its going to be done. Seriously
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by otiigba1(m): 3:24pm On Oct 08, 2015
Ilekeh:

nigeria don't even trust and believe in the ability of their own engineers and architects. To do a good job, thus not given them the opportunity to prove themselves, but instead trusts a white man regardless if he does a good job or not. Its embarrassing,i agree

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

SunTrust, The Branchless Bank Opens In Lagos / Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again / Tony Elumelu-How A Copier Salesman Turned Billionaire Banker And Entrepreneur

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.