Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,793 members, 7,956,028 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 09:45 PM

Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import (28790 Views)

GT Bank Lifts Restrictions And Limitations On Its Naira Mastercard / CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items / FG Lifts Ban On 41 Imported Items (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by tempex88(m): 3:26pm On Oct 08, 2015
SenseiX:

Do you actually think before commenting or are you a programmed robot to automatically kiss ass no matter how stupid the proposal is.

This has basically destroyed all Jonathan and Adesina's efforts to boost local rice production.
Only big time rice smugglers like the Vaswani brothers would benefit from this. As always, Change undecided.

There is a 10% duty and 60% levy to discourage importation. it should not affect local farmers adversely

2 Likes

Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Toks2008(m): 3:27pm On Oct 08, 2015
Beremx:
ilekeh,frankly speaking, the ordinary man like me wants the price of rice to reduce drastically. I don't care how its going to be done. Seriously

And the good news is that with this policy,the best type of rice i know which is "special" will be as cheap as 9k compared to the present 12k because now that even you can bring it in if you have teh financial power,competition will be welcomed.

I pray Buhari lives long to rule the second term.This man means well for us.

1 Like

Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Toks2008(m): 3:31pm On Oct 08, 2015
tempex88:

There is a 10% duty and 60% levy to discourage importation. it should not affect local farmers adversely

On the contrary its only a matter of figures and quantity so at the end the Levy will be relatively proportional to the quantity imported.

And note that with over a population of "200million" no matter how many bags imported or produced locally, it will never be enough.Trust me, people dey chop rice like kilode.
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Ilekeh(f): 3:32pm On Oct 08, 2015
Beremx:
ilekeh,frankly speaking, the ordinary man like me wants the price of rice to reduce drastically. I don't care how its going to be done. Seriously

Is that the only competition that can reduce the price of rice?
Ok for the common man like you and I, this is a good TEMPORARY solution.
Our government should, in some ways, support local farmers, find ways to help us increase production and increase competition amongst local farmers.

If this becomes a permanent solution, Nigeria is doomed.
Look @ the situation of generators and national light/electricity.

1 Like

Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by AsYouSaid: 3:32pm On Oct 08, 2015
Toks2008:

Apparently you know nothing about importation of rice in relation to smuggling.

Over the years according to "unconfirmed" news,Dangote have benefited immensely from the coded monopoly of being a strong importer of this commodity and even customs have benefited from the good will of Dangote as a thank you for check mating the activities of supposed smugglers.

Nevertheless this has not in any way stopped the infiltration of this commodity but rather has made custom officers feed large on innocent men and women who are looking for a source of income bringing in the commodity which by far surpasses the quality of the local ones.

The effort of Jonathan is not in anyway truncated but on teh contrary, this policy will give teh much needed competition hence making the stake holders buckle up and provide more quality rice at affordable rates.

The bottom line is that each day, the land borders lose millions of naira in duty that should be judiciously paid on bringing in rice because despite the ban on land border route,this commodity still comes in thousands of bags daily and you need to ask those who live around the borders to confirm this.

So dear,this is a welcome development that will bring down the price of the commodity greatly so YES CHANGE IT IS and a positive one.

I went back to read the statement of the Custom boss and i cannot agree less with your point. This will certainly improve competition and free us from the shackles of Dangote and all those super-rich tyrants in our midst that still legally bring in rice via our seaports. Now, i can team up with a fellow and walk across the border to buy rice and pay the extant duty on it. No need for rice seizure, struggling through the smugglers route, bribery to custom officers, etc. Its now a peaceful piece of business, small scale businesses being promoted, sensible competition even to local producers to up their quality and scale of production........ the lists indeed is endless. God bless Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Beremx(f): 3:32pm On Oct 08, 2015
Toks2008:

And the good news is that with this policy,the best type of rice i know which is "special" will be as cheap as 9k compared to the present 12k because now that even you can bring it in if you have teh financial power,competition will be welcomed.

I pray Buhari lives long to rule the second term.This man means well for us.
"special rice ought to be cheaper than 9k sef. Honestly you don't know how happy i am about this news.

God bless PMB
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by greaterlove(m): 3:33pm On Oct 08, 2015
God i can't believe some of the comments I am reading here, some are more concerned with the price of rice coming down but are not even thinking about the number of farmers and workers that will loose their jobs on the long run.
Why are we so short sighted in this country, what happens to all the rice mills that have been set up and those under construction? What happens to their workers if they close shop? We demand for self reliance but do we think self reliance will come in a platter of gold. Kai! NAija why do we like going round in circles?

2 Likes

Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by AsYouSaid: 3:34pm On Oct 08, 2015
Toks2008:

Apparently you know nothing about importation of rice in relation to smuggling.

Over the years according to "unconfirmed" news,Dangote have benefited immensely from the coded monopoly of being a strong importer of this commodity and even customs have benefited from the good will of Dangote as a thank you for check mating the activities of supposed smugglers.

Nevertheless this has not in any way stopped the infiltration of this commodity but rather has made custom officers feed large on innocent men and women who are looking for a source of income bringing in the commodity which by far surpasses the quality of the local ones.

The effort of Jonathan is not in anyway truncated but on teh contrary, this policy will give teh much needed competition hence making the stake holders buckle up and provide more quality rice at affordable rates.

The bottom line is that each day, the land borders lose millions of naira in duty that should be judiciously paid on bringing in rice because despite the ban on land border route,this commodity still comes in thousands of bags daily and you need to ask those who live around the borders to confirm this.

So dear,this is a welcome development that will bring down the price of the commodity greatly so YES CHANGE IT IS and a positive one.

I went back to read the statement of the Custom boss and i cannot agree less with your point. This will certainly improve competition and free us from the shackles of Dangote and all those super-rich tyrants in our midst that still legally bring in rice via our seaports. Now, i can team up with a fellow and walk across the border to buy rice and pay the extant duty on it. No need for rice seizure, struggling through the smugglers route, bribery to custom officers, etc. Its now a peaceful piece of business, small scale businesses being promoted, sensible competition even to local producers to up their quality and scale of production........ the lists indeed is endless. Please lets educate ourselves in cases like this when the need arises, we shouldn't politicise, tribalise or joke with all matters when there are lessons and opportunities in it for us all to learn from. God bless Nigeria.
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Beremx(f): 3:34pm On Oct 08, 2015
Ilekeh:

Is that the only competition that can reduce the price of rice?
Ok for the common man like you and I, this is a good TEMPORARY solution. U
Our government should, in some ways, support local farmers, find ways to help us increase production and increase competition amongst local farmers.

If this becomes a permanent solution, Nigeria is doomed.
Look @ the situation of generators and national light/electricity.
the local farmers cannot feed the entire nation,truth be told. It won't stop Nigerians from eating locally made rice too.
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Toks2008(m): 3:37pm On Oct 08, 2015
AsYouSaid:

I went back to read the statement of the Custom boss and i cannot agree less with your point. This will certainly improve competition and free us from the shackles of Dangote and all those super-rich tyrants in our midst that still legally bring in rice via our seaports. Now, i can team up with a fellow and walk across the border to buy rice and pay the extant duty on it. No need for rice seizure, struggling through the smugglers route, bribery to custom officers, etc. Its now a peaceful piece of business, small scale businesses being promoted, sensible competition even to local producers to up their quality and scale of production........ the lists indeed is endless. Please lets educate ourselves in cases like this when the need arises, we shouldn't politicise, tribalise or joke with all matters when there are lessons and opportunities in it for us all to learn from. God bless Nigeria.

You get high 1Q.
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by FLYFIRE(m): 3:38pm On Oct 08, 2015
gassdon:
Bad policy against local farmer/producer.

This government turn things upside down!

God give APC some sense!
The first thing bubu did was to lift ban on foreign textile because many were seized in Kano. The second
was to dismantle road blocks because his people must spread. The third is to give us an angelic ministerial list because his people must recoup campaign funds. Now he lifts ban on imported rice? The indegenous textile industries shot up... bubu killed it. The insurgence that GEJ almost wiped out... bubu re-armed them. The ministerial list... shame on bubu. The rice farm business that brought down the price.. bubu has just killed. One thing is sure this four unfortunate years ahead... bubu WILL take Nigeria back more than ten years.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by cokerfemi: 3:41pm On Oct 08, 2015
why cant we work on making the local rice cheaper

( for funny naija pics, check out www.memenaija.com)
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Ilekeh(f): 3:41pm On Oct 08, 2015
Beremx:
the local farmers cannot feed the entire nation,truth be told. It won't stop Nigerians from eating locally made rice too.

They can't.

I'm thinking of the long-term effect; the imbalance between importation of rice and locally grown rice. The weight should be in favor of the latter.
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by obailala(m): 3:44pm On Oct 08, 2015
greaterlove:
God i can't believe some of the comments I am reading here, some are more concerned with the price of rice coming down but are not even thinking about the number of farmers and workers that will loose their jobs on the long run.
Why are we so short sighted in this country, what happens to all the rice mills that have been set up and those under construction? What happens to their workers if they close shop? We demand for self reliance but do we think self reliance will come in a platter of gold. Kai! NAija why do we like going round in circles?
With the very high duties imposed, foreign rice would be much more expensive and this still gives room for competition for local rice producers.

You need to understand something, this is Nigeria where certain basic economic principles do not apply. The ban wasn't really enforced and through the years has only favoured some rich crooks. The ban did not reduce the quantity of rice finding its way into the country, but instead of coming through the proper channels and paying duties to the government, the money which should go to government rather goes to smugglers and corrupt customs officials. This move is simply a means of earning revenue for the government whilst still encouraging local production (by slamming high duties on imported products).
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by comos: 3:47pm On Oct 08, 2015
ANBAKO:
What of the millions of metric tonnes of rice that GEJ said they were producing? How could you produce this amount without visible farms?

In a bid to win the presidential election at all cost they resorted to lie and figure fabrication. Where is that Agric minister that was all over the place dishing out this figures?

May God help us.
go to nassarawa, abuja, kogi, kwara, ebonyi, gombe, et.c and see for yourself.
instead of sitting down in lagos and typing rubbish

2 Likes

Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Btruth: 3:48pm On Oct 08, 2015
Whao!
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by FLYFIRE(m): 3:53pm On Oct 08, 2015
laurel03:
u dey buy local rice b4?95% of rice we dey eat in 9ja is imported rice....
I went to Abakiliki three months ago and came home with some rice. God is my witness, it's one of the best rice I have eaten. They have improved so much that a single stone has not been found in it till date. So continue to like as..s
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by laurel03(m): 3:57pm On Oct 08, 2015
FLYFIRE:

I went to Abakiliki three months ago and came home with some rice. God is my witness, it's one of the best rice I have eaten. They have improved so much that a single stone has not been found in it till date. So continue to like as..s
#teamlocal rice here too because of the health benefits... But very few people eat it and d only thing local farmer can do is to improve and make their price cheaper... But local rice is far better than those imported rubber they call rice...
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by greaterlove(m): 4:03pm On Oct 08, 2015
Have you not noticed how the rice investors stormed nigeria these past years? The most important thing is to encourage the local manufacturer, make going into rice production more attractive so that those who smuggle it will be discouraged. Why do we make the same mistakes over and over again?
obailala:
With the very high duties imposed, foreign rice would be much more expensive and this still gives room for competition for local rice producers.

You need to understand something, this is Nigeria where certain basic economic principles do not apply. The ban wasn't really enforced and through the years has only favoured some rich crooks. The ban did not reduce the quantity of rice finding its way into the country, but instead of coming through the proper channels and paying duties to the government, the money which should go to government rather goes to smugglers and corrupt customs officials. This move is simply a means of earning revenue for the government whilst still encouraging local production (by slamming high duties on imported products).
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Nobody: 4:04pm On Oct 08, 2015
SenseiX:

Do you actually think before commenting or are you a programmed robot to automatically kiss ass no matter how stupid the proposal is.

This has basically destroyed all Jonathan and Adesina's efforts to boost local rice production.
Only big time rice smugglers like the Vaswani brothers would benefit from this. As always, Change undecided.

pls post a picture of locally produced rice that you've been buying.
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by AsYouSaid: 4:08pm On Oct 08, 2015
[quote author=greaterlove post=38787549]God i can't believe some of the comments I am reading here, some are more concerned with the price of rice coming down but are not even thinking about the number of farmers and workers that will loose their jobs on the long run.
Why are we so short sighted in this country, what happens to all the rice mills that have been set up and those under construction? What happens to their workers if they close shop? We demand for self reliance but do we think self reliance will come in a platter of gold. Kai! NAija why do we like going round in circles?[/quot

Politicians that took the decisions to ban importation of rice asking us to feed on stone-filled rice were only playing to the gallery, it is never a good decision. Rice producers and their workers+ tax that will accrue are not enough reason to overlook the fact that the cost of bringing in rice into Nigeria is adversely affecting a greater number. It is almost the cheapest food now. The general cannot suffer for the minority. Moreso, importation on large scale through our seaports is ongoing, this policy only opens the market up to the poor who can only import in small quantities through the land borders.
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by MizMyColi(f): 4:21pm On Oct 08, 2015
For years, Nigeria has been moving on without particularly hearing any complain about rice shortage.

For the first time in a long time, we saw that rice did not increase in price during festive seasons.

The past administration did a good job on agriculture, one which this govt. Should be consolidating upon.

Who is the retired colonel to make such pronouncements? He has no constitutional right to do so.

I imagine that an announcement like this was made in a GEJ era, the bile and anguish would be unquantifiable.

Try to look at the bigger picture here, and how the ban has helped our local industries.
Before now, I didn't know what Ofada rice was. It seems to be the inthing these days.
I also learned that some of the rice we consume because we think they're imported are actually made and packaged here...because that's the only way it can go down our throats (knowing they're imported).

If that were the case, then we should import everything. We'll see how we'll move forward from there. When it's convenient for you guys, you scream Things will get worse before they get better...but when it isn't you scream Good Move!...all in a bid to sound politically correct and justify the government you installed.

With the rate some of you are going to justify whatever this government churns out, I hope you're ready to give same justification to your already dying conscience.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by PecE2Make: 4:23pm On Oct 08, 2015
Today they say yes. Tomorrow they say no
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Kollyman: 4:24pm On Oct 08, 2015
I think lifting of the ban is a welcome development if you study and understand the rice biz thread in Nigeria. The issue has always been that the federal government gave about 5 coy licence to inport rice via the sea while the importation via the land border is prohibited.

Even the few govt allied that were given licence to import kept on getting tax/levy waivers from the same govt using their political connection or some of them owing the govt import duties.

Going to the land border issue, the fact that the govt placed a ban on land border importarion of rice has not stopped people frm bringing in rice from Benin republic, Niger & Cameroon. The customs officers have always been feeding fat on those who smuggle it in through the land boarder. Infact, customs guys on Seme road down iyana-oba collect nothing less than five hundred naira (#500) on each bags of rice. If you have as much as 300 bags, maybe thy would pitty you and collect #400. And you might have to pay same in about 4-5 check points before reaching iyana-iba. The same thing on Owode/Idi-iriko road down to sango.

If you dont know, most of the rice consumed in the south-west came in through Benin republic and no single kobo goes into the govt account, rather the Customs officials pay rebate to their masters who posted them there.
The govt need to take an affirmative decision on revenue generation and block most of the loopholes in the system. Though this lifting of ban does not totally stop the customs officers from collecting their ussual kola from the smugglers but it would reduce to an extent
Effect on local farmers; the truth is that the local farmers lack the capacity to meet the rice demand of the nation for now. If that is the case, we need to look somewhere else to complement the local rice production.

It is far better that the govt open the land border importation of rice than for the few rice cabal to cotinue to steal from the public and the customs officials enriching themselves.
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by omokab: 4:26pm On Oct 08, 2015
SenseiX:

to me I,he think before actually commenting in the sense that most of our states and federal government were not injecting money into the rice production. Apart from Ebonyi and some other states in the north that were producing rice at low quantity, which cannot even feed 5 percent of the total population ,how do you want rice on the remaining importation of rice to be affordable to ordinary citizen. Sometimes I do buy ebonyi rice and I support developing local manufacturer but it must be a gradual processing. If I may ask,how long have you eating local rice and how many people have you seen eating local rice this year. Customs officers only make money through banned of importation of rice. Government should just find a means of encouraging local rice to compete with foreign rice and on the long run the importatio of rice will be defeated. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by obailala(m): 4:29pm On Oct 08, 2015
greaterlove:
Have you not noticed how the rice investors stormed nigeria these past years? The most important thing is to encourage the local manufacturer, make going into rice production more attractive so that those who smuggle it will be discouraged. Why do we make the same mistakes over and over again?
Just like I said earlier, the most basic economic principles are not applicable in Nigeria so stop referring to those principles.... The most basic principles say if you block importation, you will encourage local production. But in Nigeria, if you block importation, you only encourage smuggling and enrich smugglers without having any commensurate effect on local production. Our borders are porous, until Nigeria is able to block and secure its borders effectively, every act of banning is nothing but an enrichment for smugglers.

On the other hand, there is a close alternative to outright banning and that is imposition of high duties. An importer would rather pay #12 to customs to legally import his goods with peace of mind instead of paying #10 to smugglers. At the end, the government gets revenue and with the high price of imported goods, local producers still have a good market.

1 Like

Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by MizMyColi(f): 4:34pm On Oct 08, 2015
greaterlove:

What most of them aren't aware of is that some of the rice they eat are packaged here in Naija. It's the same way you buy a shoe at yaba market and it is written, "MADE IN ITALY" when in reality, na my Igbo brothers dey churn the thing for market...

In Nigeria, despite the level of education some of us have attained...even when we see a nicely made "Made in Nigeria" pair of slippers, we would rather go for the fairly used made in Italy.

Anyone who is saying that you should encourage local farmers while encouraging imports as well is either clueless on this issue or just pretending to be.

4 Likes

Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by 989900: 4:34pm On Oct 08, 2015
They bring it in anyways from before . . . Government losing revenue.

OTOH, our local producers should be aggresively encouraged and supported to compete.
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by persius555(m): 4:42pm On Oct 08, 2015
Segadem:
it is u that did not read the news.
pls answer these question faithfully

How many time did u eat local rice this year?
Don't u think the imported rice u have been eating were smuggled in?
Don't u think these smugglers enriched the labouring countries?
Oga Rome was not built in a day,before we can ban foreign rice outrightly ,let our supply out way our demand.
My opinion too. Despite the policy been in place for the last two years, the local farmers havent taken advantage of it to produce in large quantities to challenger imported rice. The local rice(ofada) is a luxury food, you only find in some eateries and they are expensive for the common man.

The federal ministry of agriculture has a lot to do as regards that. Thailand, vietnam,myammar all produce in commercial quantities. Its time we learn the art from them. A population of 170 million is a huge market that cannot be ignored.
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Nobody: 4:47pm On Oct 08, 2015
FLYFIRE:

The first thing bubu did was to lift ban on foreign textile because many were seized in Kano. The second
was to dismantle road blocks because his people must spread. The third is to give us an angelic ministerial list because his people must recoup campaign funds. Now he lifts ban on imported rice? The indegenous textile industries shot up... bubu killed it. The insurgence that GEJ almost wiped out... bubu re-armed them. The ministerial list... shame on bubu. The rice farm business that brought down the price.. bubu has just killed. One thing is sure this four unfortunate years ahead... bubu WILL take Nigeria back more than ten years.

Thanks.
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Touchforfree(m): 4:51pm On Oct 08, 2015
SenseiX:

Bro, ds to the populace is good news because the ban did not stop the illegal smuggling of d product into d country @ a cut-throat price.

On a daily visit to Sango-Otta market, d banned rice flood the market; the custom boys smile to d bank while d country loses what should be coming in as revenue.

All ds while that we've been shouting of local production, local rice; what level has they achieved ?. The local production should continue exploring their ideas and d rice should come in freely.

Ban or no ban, we'll keep on eating polished rice but @ what cost is what we're looking @.
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by izyericson: 4:52pm On Oct 08, 2015
suffering and smiling

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Uber, Bolt Drivers Begin Nationwide Strike / Flutterwave Launches Swap To Solve Nigeria’s FX Problems, Backed By The CBN / Spirit Fire Consumes Sokoto, Takes 43 Lives, Destroys N50m Worth Of Property

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.