Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,392 members, 7,815,837 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:14 PM

I Dont Know What To Do About My Wife's Behaviour. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Dont Know What To Do About My Wife's Behaviour. (5781 Views)

'I Left My Marriage After My Wife Sat On Me And I Fainted' - Man Reveals. Photo / My Wife's Elder Sister Has Finally Settled In My Home & I Don't Know What To Do / Do You Know What Your Husband Does For A Living? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Dont Know What To Do About My Wife's Behaviour. by RiloKiley: 1:24pm On Oct 09, 2015
Greetings to all members in the family section. I have an issue I'd like to share with you all and I would like your honest input.
I have been "happily" married for the past eight years now and in the course of this marriage we have been through thick and thin and I have come to accept a number of things. One of these things is that my wife dosent appreciate me. She's kind and loving and all that and I'm grateful to have her. However I've noticed over the years that she's not very appreciative of my person. Let me give some examples.
There was a time her mother fell very sick. Her brothers didnt have money to cater for her and kind of left her to her fate. As soon as she told me I got her admited and sent my personal doctor to look her up. In a few days she was feeling much better and discharged from hospital. My wife never one day offered so much as a thank you till date. Even when the mother later came to see us and was thanking me my wife for some reason got up and walked out of the room. Now I realise the appreciation from her won't add to my account or anything but I felt a little show of appreciation would have been nice. She didnt so much as refer to the matter again and neither did Iathough i was perplexed.
There was another time she lost her job at the bank where she worked. She was at home for almost a year while we both ran from pillar to post looking for another job to get her busy(my salary can cater for the home but she doesnt like being idle) and eventually I got an old contact who directed me to a government official who asked me to bring her cv which i did. For another three months I followed the matter up, calling the man incessantly(she refused to call, saying she wasnt friends with the man, I was, even though I felt she ought to call to familiarise herself with him) and the interview was something else with a lot of lobbying and such. Finally she got the job. When she got the text message to come and collect her letter she called her mom immediately and they were both screaming over the phone in jubilation. I had to ask what happened and she said she had gotten the job. she started saying things "Thank God she got the job, The interview was tough but she was tougher, she wrote intelligently, etc. I pursed my lips and said nothing. When we eventually collected the letter and went to see her mom she repeated the same thing, she did not for one moment mention my involvement in the matter. It really hurt but I felt it would be immature to complain so I kept my peace.
Now I wanted to open a buisness for her to add as a side source of income. I've been cajoling her that she has a lot of spare time on her hands from the government job and she's very good in buying and selling which she agreed but said she didnt want to start a buisness as it would be too tedious. I talked to her about it for almost a month but she refused so I gave it up. You can force a horse to the stream but you cannot force it to drink. Only for her to come last week very excited and tell me she wanted to start a boutique shop,I should give her money. I was wondering what caused the turn around and she said a colleague talked to her at work that it was a lucrative buisness. When I asked "but its the same thing I've been telling you now, why didnt you think of it when I told you...she said She doesnt remember me telling her. When i pressed further she admitted i mentioned it to her but "you didnt say it seriously enough and my colleage has more experience.". This is me who ran a boutique shop for my mother years ago of which she is aware. I mentioned it to her and she shrugged it off.
Right now I just feel ...I dont know.As if she doesnt want to acknowledge anything I do for her. And it hurts me because I'm someone that likes helping people. Someone has advised that I stop seeking appreciation from her and ignore, that I shouldnt rely on her for my happiness and whatnot but I honestly dont know how to go about it. How do I look for appreciation from someone other than my wife? Why is she behaving this way? I keep feeling one day we will have a huge argument and she's going to say things like I have never done anything for her. And it hurts. Maybe its not supposed to but it does. I have a strong belief in love and loving my spouse wholy and completely and part of that involves giving and I know showing appreciation or at least acknowledgement shoudnt be a big deal but it is for me and she knows it. What do I do? How do I find joy in other things and ignore her behavoiur?

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Dont Know What To Do About My Wife's Behaviour. by Nobody: 1:28pm On Oct 09, 2015
Am sorry my brain stop working. I will need fuel to start it up

3 Likes

Re: I Dont Know What To Do About My Wife's Behaviour. by Daresh(f): 1:36pm On Oct 09, 2015
RiloKiley:
Greetings to all members in the family section. I have an issue I'd like to share with you all and I would like your honest input.
I have been "happily" married for the past eight years now and in the course of this marriage we have been through thick and thin and I have come to accept a number of things. One of these things is that my wife dosent appreciate me. She's kind and loving and all that and I'm grateful to have her. However I've noticed over the years that she's not very appreciative of my person. Let me give some examples.
There was a time her mother fell very sick. Her brothers didnt have money to cater for her and kind of left her to her fate. As soon as she told me I got her admited and sent my personal doctor to look her up. In a few days she was feeling much better and discharged from hospital. My wife never one day offered so much as a thank you till date. Even when the mother later came to see us and was thanking me my wife for some reason got up and walked out of the room. Now I realise the appreciation from her won't add to my account or anything but I felt a little show of appreciation would have been nice. She didnt so much as refer to the matter again and neither did Iathough i was perplexed.
There was another time she lost her job at the bank where she worked. She was at home for almost a year while we both ran from pillar to post looking for another job to get her busy(my salary can cater for the home but she doesnt like being idle) and eventually I got an old contact who directed me to a government official who asked me to bring her cv which i did. For another three months I followed the matter up, calling the man incessantly(she refused to call, saying she wasnt friends with the man, I was, even though I felt she ought to call to familiarise herself with him) and the interview was something else with a lot of lobbying and such. Finally she got the job. When she got the text message to come and collect her letter she called her mom immediately and they were both screaming over the phone in jubilation. I had to ask what happened and she said she had gotten the job. she started saying things "Thank God she got the job, The interview was tough but she was tougher, she wrote intelligently, etc. I pursed my lips and said nothing. When we eventually collected the letter and went to see her mom she repeated the same thing, she did not for one moment mention my involvement in the matter. It really hurt but I felt it would be immature to complain so I kept my peace.
Now I wanted to open a buisness for her to add as a side source of income. I've been cajoling her that she has a lot of spare time on her hands from the government job and she's very good in buying and selling which she agreed but said she didnt want to start a buisness as it would be too tedious. I talked to her about it for almost a month but she refused so I gave it up. You can force a horse to the stream but you cannot force it to drink. Only for her to come last week very excited and tell me she wanted to start a boutique shop,I should give her money. I was wondering what caused the turn around and she said a colleague talked to her at work that it was a lucrative buisness. When I asked "but its the same thing I've been telling you now, why didnt you think of it when I told you...she said She doesnt remember me telling her. When i pressed further she admitted i mentioned it to her but "you didnt say it seriously enough and my colleage has more experience.". This is me who ran a boutique shop for my mother years ago of which she is aware. I mentioned it to her and she shrugged it off.
Right now I just feel ...I dont know.As if she doesnt want to acknowledge anything I do for her. And it hurts me because I'm someone that likes helping people. Someone has advised that I stop seeking appreciation from her and ignore, that I shouldnt rely on her for my happiness and whatnot but I honestly dont know how to go about it. How do I look for appreciation from someone other than my wife? Why is she behaving this way? I keep feeling one day we will have a huge argument and she's going to say things like I have never done anything for her. And it hurts. Maybe its not supposed to but it does. I have a strong belief in love and loving my spouse wholy and completely and part of that involves giving and I know showing appreciation or at least acknowledgement shoudnt be a big deal but it is for me and she knows it. What do I do? How do I find joy in other things and ignore her behavoiur?

Why don't you talk to her about it? Let her see that she is taking your help for granted and that you don't like it.

6 Likes

Re: I Dont Know What To Do About My Wife's Behaviour. by AVECDEO: 1:40pm On Oct 09, 2015
Guy i feel u,but look at the larger picture such as the effort u are making will impact your kids.

Or maybe she feels she is doing much more for you and on the same pedestal with you regarding been selfless to each other.

You should also pray about it,she might just be nursing a grudge against you.

You can't fitn't understand women...

2 Likes

Re: I Dont Know What To Do About My Wife's Behaviour. by Nobody: 1:44pm On Oct 09, 2015
Why are you getting tensed over a little thing that's not suppose to be?.
At least you are happily married, and your wife is kind and loving according to your OP...
She is simply abiding to the bible verse that says, "husband and wife are one in the same flesh". undecided

I don't see a need for "thank you" since two has come together to become one and whatever you offer & vice-versa represents both, even though it doesn't hurt to say it sha. grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Dont Know What To Do About My Wife's Behaviour. by Creamish(f): 1:45pm On Oct 09, 2015
U cannot allow urself wallow up in depression. Sit her down and have a heart-to-heart talk with her. Spare no detail. Let her know exactly whatz going on in ur mind/heart. Shez not a mind reader so until u guys have this talk, she may never know shez hurting u badly.

Im glad U take care of her but i want to ask U honestly.. I know some people rily don't verbally appreciate ppl but they make some gestures of appreciation...something U might overlook or shrug off.. Have U ever noticed her doing anything for u which might be out of the ordinary?

10 Likes

Re: I Dont Know What To Do About My Wife's Behaviour. by mekzyjoe(m): 1:45pm On Oct 09, 2015
cry cry.. Y nt talk to her abt ur feelin
Re: I Dont Know What To Do About My Wife's Behaviour. by RiloKiley: 1:46pm On Oct 09, 2015
Daresh:

Why don't you talk to her about it? Let her see that she is taking your help for granted and that you don't like it.
I have talked to her about it several times and have actually given up. It now looks like I am begging for thank yous and thats not the way it should be. I wouldnt have even bothered sharing this if not that she did this last one again.
Some part of me thinks she does it deliberately to "prevent my head from swelling" but i think she's overdoing it. I came from a family where appreciation is shown. I dont know if thats the way in other families.

10 Likes

Re: I Dont Know What To Do About My Wife's Behaviour. by RiloKiley: 1:50pm On Oct 09, 2015
AVECDEO:
Guy i feel u,but look at the larger picture such as the effort u are making will impact your kids.

Or maybe she feels she is doing much more for you and on the same pedestal with you regarding been selfless to each other.

You should also pray about it,she might just be nursing a grudge against you.

You can't fitn't understand women...
Thanks for bringing up the kids matter.
That's the main thing I've been thinking of, the kids. What if she brings them up behaving the same way?
I have woken this woman up in the middle of the night once and asked if there was anything she has against me, or anything she found out that needs clarification, anything at all. She said nothing.
Re: I Dont Know What To Do About My Wife's Behaviour. by Slimzjoe(m): 1:50pm On Oct 09, 2015
Op am sorry but I gotta Laugh cos Your Wife's Attitude Reminds me of a Certain Girlfriend grin
Re: I Dont Know What To Do About My Wife's Behaviour. by RiloKiley: 1:53pm On Oct 09, 2015
FrancisTony:
Atleast you are happily married, and your wife is kind and loving according to your OP...
She is simply abiding to the bible verse that says, "husband and wife are one in the same flesh". undecided

I don't see a need for "thank you" since two has come together to become one and whatever you offer & vice-versa represents both, even though it doesn't hurt to say it sha. grin
I get where you are coming from, I totally do. Mark 10:8 rings in my head all the time. But never saying thank you? Never showing appreciation? Do you know for the job thing till today we didnt rejoice as a couple, its her mother she went to rejoice with. I just dont get it.

6 Likes

Re: I Dont Know What To Do About My Wife's Behaviour. by Dyt(f): 1:54pm On Oct 09, 2015
I am something like that too
Not that there's no appreciation but some of us just feel we are one
Whatever I do or you do is for the benefit of us
Sometimes I eben forget to say thank you when I meant to
And if I do something and I get a thank you
It makes me really angry lol

Its simple
I had a man that always wanted thank you
He eventually gave up when he found out its not me being proud or not appreciating
Its a feeling that comes like WE ARE ONE

But If you want the thank you
I am saying it on her behalf in a million times
As a nice man
Oya do something for me make I thank you
Waiting
grin

2 Likes

Re: I Dont Know What To Do About My Wife's Behaviour. by RiloKiley: 2:02pm On Oct 09, 2015
Creamish:
U cannot allow urself wallow up in depression. Sit her down and have a heart-to-heart talk with her. Spare no detail. Let her know exactly whatz going on in ur mind/heart. Shez not a mind reader so until u guys have this talk, she may never know shez hurting u badly.

Im glad U take care of her but i want to ask U honestly.. I know some people rily don't verbally appreciate ppl but they make some gestures of appreciation...something U might overlook or shrug off.. Have U ever noticed her doing anything for u which might be out of the ordinary?
Nope. She's not the romantic type if thats what you mean. she's very down to earth.
Okay dont laugh but yesterday when she noticed I wasn't happy she went and made a special dish for me, kept it hot till I was ready to eat. Its not her normal behaviour. Does that count?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Dont Know What To Do About My Wife's Behaviour. by mondaypaul77(m): 2:11pm On Oct 09, 2015
Some women are just very annoying and irritating. You probably ignored the sign while you were dating.

1 Like

Re: I Dont Know What To Do About My Wife's Behaviour. by Prec1ous(m): 2:11pm On Oct 09, 2015
That woman loves you.

It look like a problem but it is not, your wife has forgotten that you guys are two. She sees herself in you and naturally expects you to know that she appreciates.

She is not doing it intentionally, but since it hurts you, let her know about it. I know your type of man, the quiet man who wants validation and a sense of belonging.

Talk to her. No cause for alarm.

PS: did you ever suffer from inferiority complex or were you bullied in school. Your childhood may not have hold much fun and thus, you need to know others are concerned and see your effort.

Take care.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Dont Know What To Do About My Wife's Behaviour. by Creamish(f): 2:13pm On Oct 09, 2015
RiloKiley:

Nope. She's not the romantic type if thats what you mean. she's very down to earth.
Okay dont laugh but yesterday when she noticed I wasn't happy she went and made a special dish for me, kept it hot till I was ready to eat. Its not her normal behaviour. Does that count?

Ofcourse that counts!!!!!! cheesy

Like I said..not everyone knows how to say "Sorry" or "Thank you"...but in their actions, U'll see it. Never overlook anything done out of the ordinary. She'z aight. Still have that talk with her but atleast now U have a faint idea of the kinda person she just might be. wink

4 Likes

Re: I Dont Know What To Do About My Wife's Behaviour. by Nobody: 2:37pm On Oct 09, 2015
ok
Re: I Dont Know What To Do About My Wife's Behaviour. by Nobody: 2:55pm On Oct 09, 2015
no matter what she ought to be appreciative...

call her attention to it,when she doesnt subscribe to it,then don't use your position next time.

even we human thank GOd everyday, much less human to human.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Dont Know What To Do About My Wife's Behaviour. by cococandy(f): 3:22pm On Oct 09, 2015
Why not tell her how her attitude makes you feel?
At least tell her first.

And in future challenges, let her work it out herself no matter how tough. Just sit around and fight the urge to help her out.
Maybe she will be forced to ask and then you can say you won't do it bluntly because she won't appreciate it if you do.
That could open the floodgate for more outpouring. Don't shy away from it because you want to avoid a fight with her. No.

That 'fight' is long over due and you have to have it before you can amend things and move on.
No matter how 'one' you've become, spouses should always be appreciative of each other. Even for the smallest things. Taking one's partner for granted can lead to many other bigger issues.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Dont Know What To Do About My Wife's Behaviour. by Fkforyou(m): 3:49pm On Oct 09, 2015
cococandy:
At least tell her first.

And in future challenges, let her work it out herself no matter how tough. Just sit around and fight the urge to help her out.
Maybe she will be forced to ask and then you can say you won't do it bluntly because she won't appreciate it if you do.
That could open the floodgate for more outpouring. Don't shy away from it because you want to avoid a fight with her. No.

That 'fight' is long over due and you have to have it before you can amend things and move on.
No matter how 'one' you've become, spouses should always be appreciative of each other. Even for the smallest things. Taking one's partner for granted can lead to many other bigger issues.
@ OP.....this is the best and most practical approach.....

3 Likes

Re: I Dont Know What To Do About My Wife's Behaviour. by raydatluvs(m): 4:04pm On Oct 09, 2015
I am actually the male version of your wife only that telling me thank you for something I did seems like nothing really to me although, I say thank you much to people. That said, I think people are different so I think if you haven't expressed this feelings explicitly to her then you might fall off the grid because it obviously is making you unhappy which will eventually rub off on other events. You need to bare your mind totally...
Re: I Dont Know What To Do About My Wife's Behaviour. by Nobody: 4:04pm On Oct 09, 2015
cococandy:
At least tell her first.

So on point!

Let her know she's hurting u.....bottling up ur feelings wont help at all

2 Likes

Re: I Dont Know What To Do About My Wife's Behaviour. by debetmx(m): 4:13pm On Oct 09, 2015
Some have head but they don't have cap, some have cap but they don't have head. So this is your own problem?

OP, is she not your wife? I need a good wife not thank you.

People like you will expect one to thank them for the rest of one's life for any little assistance.
Re: I Dont Know What To Do About My Wife's Behaviour. by Cadamlk: 4:15pm On Oct 09, 2015
OP,i think you should stop bothering yourself over this thank you thing.
You already said she's loving and caring.My guess is she fall in the category of women who believe in ''a man must do what what men do,so no need for appreciation.Such women dont enjoy their men being their hero''.
Nevertheless she likes everything you are doing and she's enjoying it.So invariably she appreciates you not what you are doing for her and that is height of all.

1 Like

Re: I Dont Know What To Do About My Wife's Behaviour. by flyca: 4:28pm On Oct 09, 2015
OP, I feel you joor. I'm someone that likes people to use these three magic words on me, "Thank you, Please and Sorry". In fact, I will always ask for it in case the person has forgotten grin
I'm always like, "See as I have wasted my legs to go and buy you this recharge card embarassed Oya teeeee me Thank you" And when I hear it, it makes me grin cheesy with joy.
It makes me feel appreciated and I'm being human. I guess humans like to be appreciated.
My point is: I feel you bro. kiss

11 Likes

Re: I Dont Know What To Do About My Wife's Behaviour. by tellwisdom: 4:29pm On Oct 09, 2015
Daresh:

Una no dey get tired of this "Talk to her" lines?? Gosh sad

6 Likes

Re: I Dont Know What To Do About My Wife's Behaviour. by Daresh(f): 4:31pm On Oct 09, 2015
RiloKiley:

I have talked to her about it several times and have actually given up. It now looks like I am begging for thank yous and thats not the way it should be. I wouldnt have even bothered sharing this if not that she did this last one again.
Some part of me thinks she does it deliberately to "prevent my head from swelling" but i think she's overdoing it. I came from a family where appreciation is shown. I dont know if thats the way in other families.

Ok then. Next time DO NOT help her unless she specifically asks. Then tell her you didn't think she needed your help as God seems to sort things out for her. If she needs you, she needs to learn to ask for help and be appreciative when you help her.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Dont Know What To Do About My Wife's Behaviour. by Nobody: 4:44pm On Oct 09, 2015
Not fair. It is good to appreciate kind gestures. OP, just ignore her shortcomings.
Re: I Dont Know What To Do About My Wife's Behaviour. by Daresh(f): 4:45pm On Oct 09, 2015
tellwisdom:

Una no dey get tired of this "Talk to her" lines?? Gosh sad

Unfortunately marriage invloves a lot of talking. That's how you express yourselves and get to understand each other.

3 Likes

Re: I Dont Know What To Do About My Wife's Behaviour. by tellwisdom: 4:49pm On Oct 09, 2015
Daresh:

Unfortunately marriage invloves a lot of talking. That's how you express yourselves and get to understand each other.

He must have discussed this with her, countless of times before coming here to share it with you guys...Don't you think?
Re: I Dont Know What To Do About My Wife's Behaviour. by MARKone(m): 5:48pm On Oct 09, 2015
RiloKiley:

Okay dont laugh but yesterday when she noticed I wasn't happy she went and made a special dish for me, kept it hot till I was ready to eat.
Its not her normal behaviour.
Does that count?

So she doesn't serve you hot meals before, Me I smell disrespect. You cannot sit a grown ass lady or man down and tell the person to start showing appreciation when you do something for him or her, these are things we train our children to do, and they do, besides, it comes natural, and when they finally start showing the "appreciation", it appears fake. You helped somebody get a job, at this challenging time, when to get a job is difficult and the first person she calls is her mother, hmmm. Anyway, you sound like the emotional type, I would have advised you to slow down in the helping thing, not domestically though, till she starts showing appreciation, same goes for we men.

8 Likes

Re: I Dont Know What To Do About My Wife's Behaviour. by Nobody: 7:22pm On Oct 09, 2015
FrancisTony:
At least you are happily married, and your wife is kind and loving according to your OP...

I am sorry to be all up in your business with regards to the issue here
...but you are very wrong...he has a right to feel wronged
So you mean to tell me you like being under-appreciated?

I have a niggling feel the woman in question respects and loves her husband because he is doing okay, money wise
He commands her respect cos he has some power in the relationship
I hope I am wrong though, but I do not like the "sound of her"

The business with her mother when she got that job is offensive, undermining and appalling angry
@ OP, I am sorry if I said bad things about your wife
I mean no offence, I am just on your side here

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pls Advice, I'm At The Point Of A Marriage Break / Will I Ever Find An Husband / Mothersbond Commends FG On Four Months Maternity Leave Policy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.