Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,484 members, 7,830,445 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:20 PM

Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty (13733 Views)

This Video Tells How Important A Fire Extinguisher Is In Your Car / Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC / Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by onyxo76(m): 8:36pm On Oct 17, 2015
i bought this same type in August and believe me it didn't even last 10 days before the indicator fell to the zero mark, good thing a fire service officer came to do a small fire drill in my office a few weeks ago and told us to please tighten the back of the gauge after buying the extinguisher as the stuff could be leaking out gradually.
i bought another one last week and carried out the instructions and i think everything is fine now.

1 Like

Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by Nobody: 8:37pm On Oct 17, 2015
protocol:
Well, when next you see smoke coming out of the engine don't open the bonnet rather use the CORRECT TYPE of fire extinguisher to fight the fire through the exhaust pipe. opening the bonnet will allow oxygen in which will cause more fire.
True! I learnt that after the incident.
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by Nobody: 8:40pm On Oct 17, 2015
protocol:
Well, when next you see smoke coming out of the engine don't open the bonnet rather use the CORRECT TYPE of fire extinguisher to fight the fire through the exhaust pipe. opening the bonnet will allow oxygen in which will cause more fire.
What do you mean by the correct type of fire extinguisher please?
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by litaninja(m): 8:40pm On Oct 17, 2015
Fire Extinguishers have a maintenance period specified by their manufacturers....If they are routinely serviced, they wont go "empty"
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by spawnx: 8:40pm On Oct 17, 2015
Tee2902:
Fire extinguishers should be checked weekly by car user while serviced after every six months. That way, one is pretty sure of serviceability of such very important safety equipment in cars.
True, the average Nigerian will see no reason to service a fire fighting equipment that hasn't been used. They believe it is extortion. Also such extinguishers (DCP), shouldn't be tested because just a little press and the entire pressure will fizzle out before the end of that day. For purchase and service call:LIUS SAFETY 09095259853
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by Reference(m): 8:50pm On Oct 17, 2015
sledjama:
After reading this diary post -> https://www.nairaland.com/1123523/quiet-thoughts-mind-quiet-thinker/21#38726096
by Victoriousvic

I decided to check my fire extinguisher to see if is empty also

i removed the thin rubber hook, slide out the metallic stopper and pressed it and loo and behold, it was empty.
that was when i noticed the meter next to the lid which read zero.
I bought it in traffic so i could not double check.

Please folks, check with your fire extinguisher right away.
this could be the difference between just a few thousand naira vehicle parts replacement or a total loss.
Not to talk of a possible difference between life and death.

cc: seun, lalasticlala, ishilove, obinoscopy lets create this awareness

By your report your response to the fire was just too slow. Smoke coming from the engine compartment means only one thing - fire. And by the way extinguishers are not made to last forever. They do expire. Carbon-dioxide is a very reactive gas thus is hard to contain moreso when the gas is exposed to high temperatures found in parked cars in the tropics. Anything above 6 months is playing roulette with potential incidents.
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by wizemoney(m): 8:54pm On Oct 17, 2015
Same thing happened to me at the place lekki two weeks ago... nothing in my fire extinguisher thank God for the clubs extinguisher
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by protocol(m): 9:03pm On Oct 17, 2015
bigwind:
What do you mean by the correct type of fire extinguisher please?

See the attached file which shows the different classes of fire and the CORRECT extinguishing agents for them. Fire ext. are also color coded pls know them.

1 Like

Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by Xmen149(m): 9:04pm On Oct 17, 2015
For instant check,.turn the cylinder upside down and imidiatly put ur ear on the body of the cylinder/canister,.u will hear a lil hiss and a sound like somting is droping in lumps..u can also feel this drop...then smtin is inside..if not its empty
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by UcGadaz(m): 9:08pm On Oct 17, 2015
Same type of fire extinguisher I bought last year from a safety shop. I tried it out this easter only to discover that it was bad. The thing solidified.
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by nigeriancuban: 9:10pm On Oct 17, 2015
jumpmasta:
Very informative!!..Mine happened fews years back as a medical house officer.I was going back to my room around 3am when I saw my consultants generator on fire. I quickly dashed to my car a grabbed my fire extinguisher; feeling like a hero already and dreaming of the goodwill that will be showered on me by my consultant grin.As I pressed and aimed the nozzle on the generator,nothing happened to my Utter disbelieve and shock. Finally it took the use of the normal fire extinguishers usually seen hanging on the walls to save the day.
lol,your ordeal of disappointment got me cracking my ribs....
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by Lancier(m): 9:10pm On Oct 17, 2015
Do you know Insurance is the modern day creator and protector of wealth?

We at insurancedirect2u in association with STACO Insurance Plc can provide you with world class insurance services to safeguard you in Nigeria's challenging environment. 

Our Services: 
Motor Insurance,Fire and Special Perils Insurance,Personal Protection Plan,Burglary Insurance,Home Insurance,Accident Insurance,Building Insurance,Workmen Compensation,Marine & Aviation Insurance,Engineering & Construction Insurance,Oil & Gas Insurance etc. 

Our rates and premiums are quite competitive and affordable. We also offer we flexible payment plans and advisory services. 

For inquiries, call LANRE  on 08033054437 or ping me. BB Pin: 2bd85fdb  You can also email me on lancier224@yahoo.com. 

INSURE TODAY to safeguard against the unforeseen. Please forward to all your friends and contacts.

InsuranceDirect2U...Quality Service Delivery "2U" Guaranteed.
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by ThisMeansWAR: 9:13pm On Oct 17, 2015
I checked mine immediately I bought it ...

I even spraid small to be sure

1 Like

Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by Nobody: 9:20pm On Oct 17, 2015
My experience was a shocked to me,ealier this year i was in my friend car heading to Ikeja and we got to a point where VIO stoped us for a check i wasnt affraid because everything was intact.You know normal things like...oga let us see your this and that and the requested to chect the fire extinguiser......We were all shocked when the office told us that he has an empty fire extinguiser he was like oga what do you mean i just bought this thing last week couldnt believe until the guy showed us the meter,zero.
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by Nobody: 9:21pm On Oct 17, 2015
For the release of our amiable Director Nnamdi Kanu who was arrested by the Zoo (Nigeria)...
go to Twitter, retweet tweets, they really go a long way!!!

Tweet...Tweet...Tweet
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by 400billionman: 9:23pm On Oct 17, 2015
The indicator must be on GREEN. Otherwise its empty. That is for the dry fire extinguisher. And once its opened, you cannot use it again.

As a novice, i once opened to test it and placed it back in the car.

Another option is the wet smaller tin extinguisher. That one can be re used till it finishes.
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by 400billionman: 9:24pm On Oct 17, 2015
ThisMeansWAR:
I checked mine immediately I bought it ...

I even spraid small to be sure

Hahaha..

Once opened, you cannot use it again..
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by Xmen149(m): 9:32pm On Oct 17, 2015
400billionman:
The indicator must be on GREEN. Otherwise its empty. That is for the dry fire extinguisher. And once its opened, you cannot use it again.

As a novice, i once opened to test it and placed it back in the car.

Another option is the wet smaller tin extinguisher. That one can be re used till it finishes.
On red might not mean empty though,when refilled it remains on redmark for few days before settling..use the method i described above to be certain even when buy/befor you buy
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by Xmen149(m): 9:36pm On Oct 17, 2015
The guage can be deceptive sometimes and spraying it is making an empty cannister on purpose...USE THE METHOD I EXPLAINED ABOVE TO CHECK THE EXTINGUISHER IN YOUR CAR AND HOUSE NOW EVEN AT POINT OF PURCHASE..THANKS
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by Luckygurl(f): 9:46pm On Oct 17, 2015
Victoriousvic:

True! I learnt that after the incident.

Your update triggered this thread...

Feeling fly cheesy cheesy
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by dayojags10(m): 9:48pm On Oct 17, 2015
even the one at my working place.... I just pity that day wey inferno go start.
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by caesaraba(m): 9:51pm On Oct 17, 2015
Well, I've learnt not to buy the type of extinguisher pictured above. Found out a year ago that both i had were fake.
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by ademoladeji(m): 9:56pm On Oct 17, 2015
@OP, I must say I'm glad the car wasn't razed...

Btw, do you know that those small (Portable) Fire extinguishers we have in our various cars are actually meant for two purposes viz: 1. To pass through Road Safety Officers and 2. To quench cigarette light (lol)

I'd like to suggest we go for powdered CO2 extinguishers

A bus had an electrical fault on site and was almost got burnt. All the portables we had were actually empty. Even the one that was meant for a generator (Gaseous Extinguisher) couldn't put out the fire BUH when the ALMIGHTY POWDERED CO2 was brought in, the fire was totally consumed.

3 Likes

Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by donem: 10:29pm On Oct 17, 2015
samuelezeja:
what could be the cause,mine is empty,just checked it now.
The gaseous content drys off when kept long without usage, might be as a result of heat, it drys up in most cases after expiry which I think is usually 6months.
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by agabusta: 11:16pm On Oct 17, 2015
sledjama:
After reading this diary post -> https://www.nairaland.com/1123523/quiet-thoughts-mind-quiet-thinker/21#38726096
by Victoriousvic

I decided to check my fire extinguisher to see if is empty also

i removed the thin rubber hook, slide out the metallic stopper and pressed it and loo and behold, it was empty.
that was when i noticed the meter next to the lid which read zero.
I bought it in traffic so i could not double check.

Please folks, check with your fire extinguisher right away.
this could be the difference between just a few thousand naira vehicle parts replacement or a total loss.
Not to talk of a possible difference between life and death.

cc: seun, lalasticlala, ishilove, obinoscopy lets create this awareness

Is that your dog?? He is siting with so much confidence and swag smiley smiley
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by omolami: 12:04am On Oct 18, 2015
My belly always ache whenever GEJ stupidiously give unwarranted respect to OBJ. I think GEJ does not yet realise the man he is dealing with.GEJ often inadvertently give ego to Obj in an underserved respect from GEJ to Obj. My advise is that GEJ should forget Obj. He is Mr nobody Not even a clan leader in ogun.
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by SmartMugu: 4:44am On Oct 18, 2015
400billionman:

Hahaha..

Once opened, you cannot use it again..

Really? Why would anyone by a one-time-use fire extinguisher? How would we know it works if u can't test it?
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by SmartMugu: 4:46am On Oct 18, 2015
omolami:
My belly always ache whenever GEJ stupidiously give unwarranted respect to OBJ. I think GEJ does not yet realise the man he is dealing with.GEJ often inadvertently give ego to Obj in an underserved respect from GEJ to Obj. My advise is that GEJ should forget Obj. He is Mr nobody Not even a clan leader in ogun.
What is this post doing here? What has OBJ and GEJ got to do with fire extinguishers? I know I'm not stupid because the title is still about fire extinguishers.

1 Like

Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by rifasenate11(m): 5:16am On Oct 18, 2015
am waiting and still waiting to see the picture of the car on fire , abi you are not in year 2015 again
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by Ademat7(m): 5:57am On Oct 18, 2015
Tee2902:
Fire extinguishers should be checked weekly by car user while serviced after every six months. That way, one is pretty sure of serviceability of such very important safety equipment in cars.
it is not right to test xtinguisher #safety standard quote m anywhr
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by Nobody: 6:00am On Oct 18, 2015
Luckygurl:

Your update triggered this thread...

Feeling fly cheesy cheesy
Lol! tongue

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years / Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 / Why Don't Passengers At The Back Seat Use Seatbelts?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.