Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,231 members, 7,829,412 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:23 AM

Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty (13730 Views)

This Video Tells How Important A Fire Extinguisher Is In Your Car / Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC / Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by Ademat7(m): 6:01am On Oct 18, 2015
SmartMugu:

Really? Why would anyone by a one-time-use fire extinguisher? How would we know it works if u can't test it?
d guy has told u fact abt safety standard,i was shocked by d OP's advice;d OP is a novice
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by Ademat7(m): 6:04am On Oct 18, 2015
sledjama:
After reading this diary post -> https://www.nairaland.com/1123523/quiet-thoughts-mind-quiet-thinker/21#38726096
by Victoriousvic

I decided to check my fire extinguisher to see if is empty also

i removed the thin rubber hook, slide out the metallic stopper and pressed it and loo and behold, it was empty.
that was when i noticed the meter next to the lid which read zero.
I bought it in traffic so i could not double check.

Please folks, check with your fire extinguisher right away.
this could be the difference between just a few thousand naira vehicle parts replacement or a total loss.
Not to talk of a possible difference between life and death.

cc: seun, lalasticlala, ishilove, obinoscopy lets create this awareness

am sorry to say dat u've missled NLanders abt what to d;it against safety to test xtinguisher,sound strange but dat is d fact
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by ThisMeansWAR: 6:44am On Oct 18, 2015
400billionman:

Hahaha..

Once opened, you cannot use it again..
says who?
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by Olivers2J(f): 7:14am On Oct 18, 2015
it has actually happned 2 me
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by Soknown: 7:49am On Oct 18, 2015
dayojags10:
even the one at my working place.... I just pity that day wey inferno go start.
Please do something bout it, service it or buy a new one, at the very least point it out to whoever that is responsible.
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by Soknown: 7:54am On Oct 18, 2015
Ademat7:
am sorry to say dat u've missled NLanders abt what to d;it against safety to test xtinguisher,sound strange but dat is d fact
Sir, he used the word 'check' not 'test' or could you explain what you meant by your post ?.
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by DonId(m): 8:41am On Oct 18, 2015
Bro please don't mislead people to think that their extinguishers are bad or empty. In so far as the gauge is working well there is every reason to believe that your extinguishers are OK.

The problem here is lack of knowledge on how to use these extinguishers. From common knowledge, most of the extinguishers used by Nigerians in their cars is the DCP type which requires that when you pull the pin, u allow it some time for the gas in the cylinder to activate the powder inside. What most people do is to immediately begin to start using the extinguisher and in most cases, you end up just wasting the gas instead of using it to activate the powder inside. So please learn how to use the extinguisher right.

First pull the pin and give it about a minute or so for the gas to activate the powder, after which it can be used very well. In the alternatice, get the CO2 type that does not require this wait. But also understand that the Co2 type does not smother fires like the DCP type.
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by Codyt(m): 9:24am On Oct 18, 2015
jumpmasta:
Very informative!!..Mine happened fews years back as a medical house officer.I was going back to my room around 3am when I saw my consultants generator on fire. I quickly dashed to my car a grabbed my fire extinguisher; feeling like a hero already and dreaming of the goodwill that will be showered on me by my consultant grin.As I pressed and aimed the nozzle on the generator,nothing happened to my Utter disbelieve and shock. Finally it took the use of the normal fire extinguishers usually seen hanging on the walls to save the day.

grin grin cheesy grin grin cheesy
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by bigtt76(f): 9:54am On Oct 18, 2015
Fire extinguishers need to be recharged every 3-6months whether used or not.
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by Mavelshee(m): 12:42pm On Oct 18, 2015
NIGERIA.....first na garden egg inside eggroll, now this....only. GOD can save us
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by Ademat7(m): 1:36pm On Oct 18, 2015
Soknown:
Sir, he used the word 'check' not 'test' or could you explain what you meant by your post ?.
so hw do u check if u dnt test knowingfully well dat d cylinder is always locked with pin,by d way d post mean diff tin to diff pple.hope u get my point
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by litaninja(m): 4:04pm On Oct 18, 2015
WOW!!!!!!!!
YOU WANT TO FIGHT A FIRE IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT BY USING A FIRE EXTINGUISHER THROUGH THE EXHAUST PIPE
WOW!!!!!!!!

i really had to type that in all caps.
WOW!!!!!!!!

protocol:
Well, when next you see smoke coming out of the engine don't open the bonnet rather use the CORRECT TYPE of fire extinguisher to fight the fire through the exhaust pipe. opening the bonnet will allow oxygen in which will cause more fire.

1 Like

Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by aaidel(m): 11:41pm On Oct 18, 2015
litaninja:
WOW!!!!!!!!
YOU WANT TO FIGHT A FIRE IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT BY USING A FIRE EXTINGUISHER THROUGH THE EXHAUST PIPE
WOW!!!!!!!!

WOW!!!!!!!!

me self read am 3 times go sleep come back still no understand the reasoning
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by aaidel(m): 11:43pm On Oct 18, 2015
litaninja:
WOW!!!!!!!!
WOW!!!!!!!!

WOW!!!!!!!!

If you have a fire extinguisher, loosen the bonnet just enough to aim it underneath. If you can't do this, stand back and call for assistance
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by Nobody: 5:57pm On Oct 19, 2015
agabusta:

Is that your dog?? He is siting with so much confidence and swag smiley smiley

yea, thats Rayance.
Re: Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty by agabusta: 6:52pm On Oct 19, 2015
sledjama:

yea, thats Rayance.

Nice. Hail him for me oh. I love dogs. smiley

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 / The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years / Why Don't Passengers At The Back Seat Use Seatbelts?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.