Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,305 members, 7,811,902 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:57 PM

The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) - Agriculture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) (312544 Views)

Snail Farming In Nigeria Made Easy, Practical Tips / The A to Z Of Oil Palm Farming (Costs And Returns Analysis) / A-z Of Catfish Smoking Business and types of fish smoking kiln (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 4:55pm On Oct 08, 2016
Johnnyessence:
Good afternoon everyone pls op am in need of snail calcium powder I av close to three hundred breed of snails still need some feeds to feed them thanks

Hello there,

I sell snail feed.

30kg of feed.
1kg feeds 1000 growing snails per day.
So the 30kg pack feeds 1000 snails per month.

Specially milled and balanced for snails.

To make an order,

Please send a mail to farmingenquiries@ gmail.com

Please state,

1.Total kg needed
2. Location
3. Time of expected delivery

An invoice will be sent.

Regards,
Hugo

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 4:59pm On Oct 08, 2016
Kentiman:
Chairman. This your snail house, did you use concrete for the inside?

Usage of concrete depends on existing conditions.

Is the area prone to flooding, termite presence in soil?

...budget can also be a concern.

When using concrete however, the rule is to dig deeper than you "actually want", concrete it, and then fill with good loamy soil to the level you "actually want". ( soil depth shouldn't be less than 6inches.)
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 5:21pm On Oct 08, 2016
AnthonyAk:
Kudos to everyone here. I started a snail farm in nigeria before i left. I entrusted it to my younger ones.They could even keep all the profit. Its unfortunate that they are probably all dead by now.

Ive always wanted to restart it after i bought 10 frozen snails from europe at an african store here in Canada. After enjoying them with oha soup in fact Our snails are 1000x better in size and texture.

Now op what do you think of a green house approach to snail farming? With an irrigation system inside to ensure the soil is always moist?

Green houses are perfect for raising snails.

One just has to know what he is doing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by AnthonyAk(m): 5:35pm On Oct 08, 2016
lordhugo:

Did you build that yourself? Is it portable?
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 7:44pm On Oct 08, 2016
AnthonyAk:

Did you build that yourself? Is it portable?

I built that myself.

It is "semi portable". (some parts are non salvageable in the event of a relocation).

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by roolnaado(m): 12:48pm On Oct 09, 2016
lordhugo:

Looks like a fungus.
Maybe your pens are too wet.
The soil is well drained, I don't know what could be causing it.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by AnthonyAk(m): 4:24pm On Oct 09, 2016
lordhugo:

I built that myself.

It is "semi portable". (some parts are non salvageable in the event of a relocation).

Cheers.

Will love to see how your snails are fairing
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by denip: 3:15pm On Oct 13, 2016
Good day guys and especially Lord Hugo. keep up the good work. I will suggest we also form a watsapp group where we farmers can interact also and share ideas just like what we are doing here. i am an intending farmer. Love ur work Hugo. Still reading through though. still in d second page. lol.

1 Like

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by EngrSaks(m): 12:55pm On Oct 14, 2016
denip:
Good day guys and especially Lord Hugo. keep up the good work. I will suggest we also form a watsapp group where we farmers can interact also and share ideas just like what we are doing here. i am an intending farmer. Love ur work Hugo. Still reading through though. still in d second page. lol.

I support this idea
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by EngrSaks(m): 12:57pm On Oct 14, 2016
Good job guys....really helpful info...pls any snail farmer in abuja area?I wld love to visit a snail farm to learn
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Johnnyessence(m): 1:39pm On Oct 14, 2016
lordhugo:

Hello there,

I sell snail feed.

30kg of feed.
1kg feeds 1000 growing snails per day.
So the 30kg pack feeds 1000 snails per month.

Specially milled and balanced for snails.

To make an order,

Please send a mail to farmingenquiries@ gmail.com

Please state,

1.Total kg needed
2. Location
3. Time of expected delivery

An invoice will be sent.

Regards,
Hugo
bro lordhugo av send message to ur email ooo check it and reply me back pls
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by topekole(f): 2:16pm On Oct 14, 2016
lordhugo:

Hello Lord Hugo please can you show us the inside of this greenhouse and share the materials used with us, I like it
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by kennysympathy(m): 6:26pm On Oct 15, 2016
hello sir lordhugo, nice trend you have here. I did appreciate the good job. kudos sir. I just constructed a snail shelter. but going through your trend, you made mention of ants and other insects. coupled with the fact that my snail shelter doesn't have a concrete floor, which shows that ants can come into the shelter. I want to know if there is anyway I Can prevent them from coming in?
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Cidokwe: 10:31am On Oct 16, 2016
Many thanks for the posts...
Very educative ....
Am interested in starting up....
Please add me to your WhatsApp group
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by UniqueFarmer: 10:36am On Oct 16, 2016
We provide practical daily tips on how to successfully start and operate a successful Snail farming venture. The content provided covers all the salient areas in agriculture, including creating the business plan, doing market research, constructing the farm and purchasing the stock. It also covers growing/rearing the stock, weather forecast, market prices, agronomy tips and advice for dealing with pests and diseases on topical issues affecting farmers and middle men operating in the agricultural sector.

Users can subscribe to their preferred Agric content service on the Etisalat network by sending the specific keyword to the designated short-code. Subscriber texts any of ‘Poultry’, ‘Fish’, ‘Crop’ 'Pig', or ‘SNAIL’ to 33327. 1st 7 days subscription is FREE...

Content are provided on daily basis and the user will be charged N50/weekly for each successful subscription. Specific topics will be treated under each content on daily basis to ensure users are well abreast on all areas involved in the category subscribed.

3. Reason To Believe:
• Convenience of receiving practical tips to help you run a successful agric business on your phone
• Content are authentic and collated from experience farmers who are successful in running their agric business
• Opportunities for internship in successful farms are offered to 20 lucky subscribers
• 7 days free trial at no cost to the subscriber, after which the subscriber can renew or deactivate if not interested

4. Heart of the Story
• Food security is currently a major challenge in Nigeria. As the population increases, the demand for food to feed the population increases.
• Agriculture guarantees a steady income and ready market for people who can learn what it takes to succeed as a farmer
• Agriculture has a lot of inherent risks for a novice. Understanding these risks and how to mitigate them is the difference between failure and success in agriculture.
• The essence of these agric content services is to equip the novice or existing farmer with the right tools (skills, information and attitude) that is required to succeed in different agricultural ventures.
• Success is guaranteed if the information provided in these content services are correctly applied.

Our Content Outline for Snail farming
Introduction to snail farming
What to know about snail biology
How to create the right climate for raising snail
How to create the right condition for raising snail
Understanding cultural restrictions on handling and eating snails
Understanding the religious taboo with snails
Choosing the right land for snail farming
General considerations you need to know
Proper temperature and humidity for raising snail
How to create the right wind speed and direction for snail
Creating the soil condition for snail rearing
Constructing a snailery
How to plan a snail farming venture
Cost of constructing a snailery
Creating the right system from the following options:
Car tyres and oil drums
Hutch boxes
Mini-paddock pens
Free-range pens
Feeding the snail
What you need to know before feeding
Types of snail food available
Recommendations on natural feed
Recommendation on formulated feed
Ways to propel fast growth among your snails
Breeding and management
How to select your breeding stock
How to create your nursery
What is the rearing density you can have
Daily and seasonal management of your snail
What are the snail farming tools and equipment you need
How to keep proper records of farm happenings
Predators, parasites and diseases
What are the predators to watch out for
What are the diseases to watch out for
What are the parasites to watch out for
How to protect your snail from parasites and diseases
How to create proper hygiene in your farm
Processing and consumption of snail meat
How to process snail meat
Tools and equipment required for processing snail
How to handle snail consumption
Marketing Tactics
Marketing and sales of snails
Where to find local markets for snail
How to get best prices for your snails

1 Like

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by ofemco: 11:16am On Oct 16, 2016
I need farm land in any of this local Government Area of Ogun State - Ipokia, Ado-Odo/Ota, Yewa South or Ifo. You can call me on 08065674312.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by mayorisaac: 10:19pm On Oct 16, 2016
Please is there anybody here that has a snail farm in Ilorin?
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by topdiva(f): 11:53pm On Oct 16, 2016
lordhugo:

Pls where is your farm located? I would love to visit. Am about starting a snail farm.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by jaybim: 3:34pm On Oct 22, 2016
Hello guys, I found 6 of these eggs in my snail pen. I'm confused, are they snail eggs? Do they belong to the specie in the picture, those are the adult snails I have.
And please what specie is that, so I can read up on them. Thanks

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by jp130(m): 5:21pm On Oct 22, 2016
Dats AM
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by jaybim: 6:05pm On Oct 22, 2016
jp130:
Dats AM

Thanks man
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by annunaki2(m): 10:07pm On Oct 22, 2016
jaybim:
Hello guys, I found 6 of these eggs in my snail pen. I'm confused, are they snail eggs? Do they belong to the specie in the picture, those are the adult snails I have.
And please what specie is that, so I can read up on them. Thanks

You should avoid handling the eggs with your hand if you want the eggs to hatch. It's better you use a plastic spoon when handling the eggs.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by jaybim: 10:13pm On Oct 22, 2016
annunaki2:

You should avoid handling the eggs with your hand if you want the eggs to hatch. It's better you use a plastic spoon when handling the eggs.

Yeah, did that in ignorance...I know better now, Thanks a lot for the feedback.

2 Likes

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by cosade(m): 9:15pm On Oct 25, 2016
lordhugo:

Why don't you raise in Nigeria and export proccesed snails to the UK?

1. You will reduce overhead costs.

2 Land is cheaper.

3. You are creating jobs for Nigerians.

Cheers.

@LordHugo

Is it possible to rear GALS in Europe? Wouldn't the cold environment be a limiting factor?

Thanks for your response.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 4:50pm On Oct 26, 2016
cosade:

@LordHugo

Is it possible to rear GALS in Europe? Wouldn't the cold environment be a limiting factor?

Thanks for your response.

It depends!

If you can control the climate of the housing. The minimum temperature should be 24-25°C.

A greenhouse solution can help.
If you can grow tomatoes year round, you can raise snails too.

1 Like

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 4:58pm On Oct 26, 2016
ofemco:
I need farm land in any of this local Government Area of Ogun State - Ipokia, Ado-Odo/Ota, Yewa South or Ifo. You can call me on 08065674312.

Call me on 080.30964896 for lands in Ogun state.
I use a government surveyor when buying farmlands. A lot of lands are under government acquisition and as such you jeopardize your investments when government reclaims or allocates such land.

Up to 1000hectares available.

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by cosade(m): 6:34pm On Oct 26, 2016
lordhugo:

It depends!

If you can control the climate of the housing. The minimum temperature should be 24-25°C.

A greenhouse solution can help.
If you can grow tomatoes year round, you can raise snails too.

Thanks!
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by epsaurabhsingh: 12:10am On Oct 30, 2016
Hie Lord hugo
I want to export snails from INDIA.
Can you help me to connect with some potential buyers
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by mamabj: 6:06pm On Oct 30, 2016
Pls add me on your wasapp 07035933940
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by igboboy3(m): 7:38pm On Oct 30, 2016
AnthonyAk:
Kudos to everyone here. I started a snail farm in nigeria before i left. I entrusted it to my younger ones.They could even keep all the profit. Its unfortunate that they are probably all dead by now.

Ive always wanted to restart it after i bought 10 frozen snails from europe at an african store here in Canada. After enjoying them with oha soup in fact Our snails are 1000x better in size and texture.

Now op what do you think of a green house approach to snail farming? With an irrigation system inside to ensure the soil is always moist?

Maybe you can go to a snail farm over there and see how they run their business

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (22) (Reply)

... / Xmas Broiler Broading In Pictures / Nairaland Farmers Contact Details

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.