Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:01 AM

God Is Love - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / God Is Love (993 Views)

God Is Love, The Innocent Wouldn't Suffer. / If God Is Love, Why Did He Hate Esau? / God Is Unquestionable (my Pastor) Prophet Akinade Of Lion Of Judah Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

God Is Love by huxley(m): 10:00am On Apr 26, 2009
God is Love

He tempted Eve with a forbidden tree
God is Love
He allows Satan to wander free
God is Love

He killed newborn babies with a worldwide flood
God is Love
He just cant get enough fresh blood
God is Love

He killed poor Uzzah just for saving the ark
God is Love
He hated vegetables and gave Cain a mark
God is Love

He fried little babies in Sodom and Gomorrah
God is Love
He killed thousands more in the Amalekite slaughter
God is Love

He caused Davids newborn son to die
God is Love
Yet honored Rahab for her lie
God is Love

He let the devil ruin Job
God is Love
So he could brag and he could boast
God is Love

He hardened poor old Pharaohs heart
God is Love
Condemned by God, doomed from the start
God is Love

But with escape he was not content
God is Love
All firstborn died before they went
God is Love

He spared not one poor Canaanite
God is Love
The newborn went without a fight
God is Love

He killed forty-two boys with a grizzly bear
God is Love
Because Elisha had no hair
God is Love

He killed Ananias and Sapphira too
God is Love
For holding back their portion due
God is Love

So to cap off all that he had done
God is Love
He tortured and killed his only son
God is love?

By TruthSurge
Re: God Is Love by Bastage: 10:37am On Apr 26, 2009
All apart from your last two statements are examples from the Jewish Old Testament.
Ask almost any Jew if "God is Love" and they'll probably tell you "No. That's a Christian thing".
Personally, I do not dispute any of those verses and in fact, the author could probably have added at least a hundred more examples.

But as for your last statement about killing his only son?

If Christ was God, according to the NT, he sacrificed himself for mankind. If Christ was not God then Christ sacrificed himself by his own actions. There can be no misreading that.
Therefore that is the only example you have given that can really be construed as Love.

Regarding Ananias and Sapphira, the Bible does not say that God killed them. It states that they just fell down dead. There is no way that we can attribute their deaths to God. That verse is therefore misleading and irrelevant.
Re: God Is Love by huxley(m): 11:17am On Apr 26, 2009
Bastage, Please note that I am NOT the author of this peom.
Re: God Is Love by Horus(m): 2:03pm On Apr 26, 2009
According to Isaiah 45:7 the Lord that you go to church and worship every Sunday created evil:

"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things".

So here you have a God who created EVIL,and this same God is LOVE?? shocked shocked shocked
Re: God Is Love by Ascony(m): 4:45pm On Apr 26, 2009
God is love
As he was in the begining, so he will always be
God can never change
So if he did it in the old testament , he can do it again
cos God can never change smiley smiley
Re: God Is Love by slimfine(f): 7:45pm On May 30, 2009
@Horus:

Even though the bible indicates that God Created Evil and Good, is up to us to choose which path we want to go! Just like Eve choose to eat the forbidden fruit! it all about choices. So if you CHOOSE evil path, please do not blame my dear Jehovah!

this is my understanding anyway
Re: God Is Love by jagunlabi(m): 11:37am On May 31, 2009
If this god is love,who needs evil and hatred?
Y'all can have him for eternal keeps.I ,personally, don't want to have anything to do with a butcher god like the OT god,El Sadistico/Monstruoso. cool
Re: God Is Love by Image123(m): 5:36pm On Jun 02, 2009
Sentimentalists.
The unchanging Word of the everlasting God remains 'he that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love. 1John 4v8. Before you knew how to walk or talk, God is love. After you're long gone and forgotten, God is Love.
Any normal person should appreciate punishment of evil-doers. Criminals should not be patted on the back in the name of civilisation or love. You know its funny how you hold on to some Bible passages with 'glee' while you disbelieve others.
How long do you halt between two opinions? If God be God, serve Him. If not, go your way. Why is it that you openly believe and quote scriptures that talk about God ordering some people to be destroyed, and killing this and that, but you demand for proof when you hear of God doing good things. Thats when we begin to hear over-rusted cliches like 'where is scientific proof, what of archeological backing' and other what-nots. How hypocritical.
Its your poor knowledge of God that disturbs you. When we start telling you to come to know God now, you'll start asking "what is all this drivel?" Yet its for your own good. To lighten your confusion and give you peace. If you know God, then you'll realise His Word that says, the nations are as a drop of a bucket, and are counted as the small dust of the balance.(Isaiah40v15). Thats equally the Word of God. Its the Word of God, the equal Word as wherever you read for your sentiments to try to show that God is not love.
It's easier to agree with Isaiah today because we've seen the vast continent, and the planets, and the galaxies. The whole universe acclaimed to be created by God. Knowing the size of the universe should easily tell you how insignificant earth is, if Isaiah40 is beyond your mind. The Psalms say God humbles Himself to behold the things that are in heaven and in the earthPsalm133. That is how mighty God is. Thats why His dealings with man is a privilege, a show of amazing Love. Ever wondered how many thousands of chicken are killed daily by man to meet his needs?did I say thousands. Its the normal thing because we eat and sell them. Yet do you know it'll be dangerous if chickens were to be extinct from the food chain?
So they're important to us, yet we don't bat an eyelid if millions of them died in a month. Who cares 'bout the stats, right? The nations are less significant before God.
If you live in Africa, you're likely to have done this. A precious mosquito dares fly near you, and before it sucks an atom, you kill it. Then you go for the insecticide, after killing the important fly. And you spray the whole flat, killing mosquitoes, cockroaches, innocent eggs and etal. Who cares, they're insignificant. You're even much more insignificant before God, who has made all things. If I could give you the help of both the UN and the Middle-east, you couldn't create a fly.
It is grace, unMERITed favour, amazing love, that makes God to consider to make of our species, a people for Himself. It is this love that gives us hope of eternal reward. It is this love that draws us near to God, when we respond to His love. God is still in love with us, thats why He gave His only begotten Son, that if you believe in Him, you'll not perish but have eternal life. It does not cost nothing for God to destroy this world. tHE NATIONS that are so big in our eyes are as nothing, less than nothing before God(Isaiah 40v17). All we need to do is Believe in Jesus His Son.
Re: God Is Love by mazaje(m): 5:53pm On Jun 02, 2009
Image123:

Sentimentalists.
The unchanging Word of the everlasting God remains 'he that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love. 1John 4v8. Before you knew how to walk or talk, God is love. After you're long gone and forgotten, God is Love.
Any normal person should appreciate punishment of evil-doers. Criminals should not be patted on the back in the name of civilisation or love. You know its funny how you hold on to some Bible passages with 'glee' while you disbelieve others.
How long do you halt between two opinions? If God be God, serve Him. If not, go your way. Why is it that you openly believe and quote scriptures that talk about God ordering some people to be destroyed, and killing this and that, but you demand for proof when you hear of God doing good things. Thats when we begin to hear over-rusted cliches like 'where is scientific proof, what of archeological backing' and other what-nots. How hypocritical.
Its your poor knowledge of God that disturbs you. When we start telling you to come to know God now, you'll start asking "what is all this drivel?" Yet its for your own good. To lighten your confusion and give you peace. If you know God, then you'll realise His Word that says, the nations are as a drop of a bucket, and are counted as the small dust of the balance.(Isaiah40v15). Thats equally the Word of God. Its the Word of God, the equal Word as wherever you read for your sentiments to try to show that God is not love.
It's easier to agree with Isaiah today because we've seen the vast continent, and the planets, and the galaxies. The whole universe acclaimed to be created by God. Knowing the size of the universe should easily tell you how insignificant earth is, if Isaiah40 is beyond your mind. The Psalms say God humbles Himself to behold the things that are in heaven and in the earthPsalm133. That is how mighty God is. Thats why His dealings with man is a privilege, a show of amazing Love. Ever wondered how many thousands of chicken are killed daily by man to meet his needs?did I say thousands. Its the normal thing because we eat and sell them. Yet do you know it'll be dangerous if chickens were to be extinct from the food chain?
So they're important to us, yet we don't bat an eyelid if millions of them died in a month. Who cares 'bout the stats, right? The nations are less significant before God.
If you live in Africa, you're likely to have done this. A precious mosquito dares fly near you, and before it sucks an atom, you kill it. Then you go for the insecticide, after killing the important fly. And you spray the whole flat, killing mosquitoes, cockroaches, innocent eggs and etal. Who cares, they're insignificant. You're even much more insignificant before God, who has made all things. If I could give you the help of both the UN and the Middle-east, you couldn't create a fly.
It is grace, unMERITed favour, amazing love, that makes God to consider to make of our species, a people for Himself. It is this love that gives us hope of eternal reward. It is this love that draws us near to God, when we respond to His love. God is still in love with us, thats why He gave His only begotten Son, that if you believe in Him, you'll not perish but have eternal life. It does not cost nothing for God to destroy this world. tHE NATIONS that are so big in our eyes are as nothing, less than nothing before God(Isaiah 40v17). All we need to do is Believe in Jesus His Son.

for your god so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son and sent him to die for the sins of human 2000 years ago, by sending him to a very little desert community in the middle east? why didn't he send him to the whole world at the same time? grin he lived is life did a lot of things yet no body living during his time ever bothered to write anything bout him?. . . . . . in fact the first written story about him and how he lived his life was written about 40 years later by an unknown figure who never meet him. . . . . . has any god ever told you that he is in love with humanity or did you read it from some where? when you look around you do you see any god lovingly interacting with humans?
Re: God Is Love by Tudor3(m): 7:42pm On Jun 02, 2009
What is image123 jamming? All those words and yet no sense.
People just come to NL vomit rubbish and go home happy. . . .

Your diety comits terrible atrocities like genocide and mass murder and you still wonder why we disbelieve. We quote the bible verse to open your eyes to the lies,hypocrisy and crimes in your bible.
How can a god who murders do good?
If a criminal writes a book stating his crimes and also includes his charity and humanitarian work done,it's only natural we'll take the latter with a pinch of salt.
Re: God Is Love by mazaje(m): 8:08pm On Jun 02, 2009
Here is what bindex wrote on the other thread.

Remeber that the bibleGod commited

Genocide
Punishing people for crimes that they did not commit at all
Animal sacrifices
Human sacrifice
Animal cruelty
The killing of innocent children and animals
Favouring one nation over other nations for no reason at all
The toleration and regulation of slavery
Promoting of wars and urging people to go to war against other nations without provocation
Commanding people to keep virgins as the spoils of war
Interfering with a person's free will to do good
Tried to kill his best friend moses

Ohhh what a merciful and loving God!!!
Re: God Is Love by Image123(m): 11:44am On Jun 03, 2009
What's all these goal shift mazaje and his colleague are into? Come crying 'God is evil', next thing is gear shift to 'God doesn't exist'. Can God not exist and yet be evil? Which kind of 'intellectual' are these? Did God tell you that the gospel was written 40years after Jesus resurrected or did you read it from somewhere? Careless souls, you've been warned.
Re: God Is Love by jagunlabi(m): 4:52pm On Jun 03, 2009
Now you are sounding lost,image.give it up,this god is not to be defended.He is not worth it.
According to Pat condell in one of his,he said so aptly,"This is not a loving entity i see in these pages.This is a deeply disturbed individual.This is the kind of person the police would warn you not to aproach.This god would give Hitler a run for his money."
The OT bible has to be right,is it not?
Image123:

What's all these goal shift mazaje and his colleague are into? Come crying 'God is evil', next thing is gear shift to 'God doesn't exist'. Can God not exist and yet be evil? Which kind of 'intellectual' are these? Did God tell you that the gospel was written 40years after Jesus resurrected or did you read it from somewhere? Careless souls, you've been warned.
Re: God Is Love by toneyb: 5:01pm On Jun 03, 2009
Image123:

What is these, haven't you heard about Christians who say that Allah is an evil god because he did a lot of evil in the koran? Does that mean that Allah exists when Christians use such pharses? The evil attrocities of Allah and Yahweh exist only in the pages of the koran and the bible. That is why you see us refer to yahweh as the biblegod because all what he supposedley did he did only in the pages of the bible. Actual history has nothing to show that Yahweh spear-headed his chosen men to fight most of the battles recorded in the bible. The evil that yahweh did exists only in the pages of the bible. by the way we also try to show you that you are lying when you say that yahweh is a "loving and merciful" god by showing you what the bible has to say about him. just as you guys show the moslems what the koran has to say about their "merciful" Allah
Re: God Is Love by Tudor3(m): 5:06pm On Jun 03, 2009
Gbam!
Re: God Is Love by richjohn1(m): 12:36pm On Jun 04, 2009
I dont think my kids will ever read the bible till they get to a certain age, I wonder what these xtians are arguing about arent these things not in the bible? how can God love the world and still will say a nation should go and wipe off another, see the war crimes David and his men committed, how do you explain Uzzah's case, well I keep my fingers crossed I wont say God is love or not love, but it's not rational to say God is love undecided

pls reconsider these things

Remeber that the bibleGod commited

Genocide
Punishing people for crimes that they did not commit at all
Animal sacrifices
Human sacrifice
Animal cruelty
The killing of innocent children and animals
Favouring one nation over other nations for no reason at all
The toleration and regulation of slavery
Promoting of wars and urging people to go to war against other nations without provocation
Commanding people to keep virgins as the spoils of war
Interfering with a person's free will to do good
Tried to kill his best friend moses

Ohhh what a merciful and loving God!!!
[i][/i]
Re: God Is Love by noetic2: 12:50pm On Jun 04, 2009
If God is NOT love . . . . what is the alternative?
Re: God Is Love by huxley2(m): 1:02pm On Jun 04, 2009
noetic2:

If God is NOT love . . . . what is the alternative?

Pretty obvious, isn't it? God is barbarism, violence, rape, murder, cannibalism, human sacrifice, vindictive, etc, etc.
Re: God Is Love by noetic2: 1:40pm On Jun 04, 2009
huxley2:

Pretty obvious, isn't it? God is barbarism, violence, rape, murder, cannibalism, human sacrifice, vindictive, etc, etc.

WHO/WHAT is the alternative to GOD (an entity) ?
Re: God Is Love by bindex(m): 1:49pm On Jun 04, 2009
noetic2:

WHO/WHAT is the alternative to GOD (an entity) ?

Must there always be an alternative?  . But since you only think like a robot then the opposite of barbarism, violence, rape, murder, cannibalism, human sacrifice, vindictive is the alternative to God.
Re: God Is Love by yommyuk: 5:43am On Jun 05, 2009
2 Thessalonians 3:5
May the Lord direct your hearts into God's love and Christ's perseverance.

1 Peter 2:17
Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king

1 John 4:7-8
Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.
Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. wink
Re: God Is Love by Image123(m): 1:06pm On Jun 05, 2009
@jagunlabi
I'm not here to defend God. He's not on trial, He's the Judge. I'm only trying to help you out, seeing your exasperations and misunderstandings of God and His children. You don't accuse a Judge of killing and unfair treatment after He's served deserved sentences on criminals.

@toneyb
so your point is that you're no different from the christians who say that allah is an evil God?

@Tudor
whats the gbam about. Trademark unbelief. Always ready to immediately support anything that seems to be against their christian 'adversaries'. Think for yourselves, enough of copy and paste mentality already.

@rich_john
the bible God is the owner and creator of the earth, and of every human being. He has every right to do what He deems fit to His property. Even more right than you have to eat that egg, an embryo of some hen that you did not collect proper permissions from.
Re: God Is Love by jagunlabi(m): 1:10pm On Jun 05, 2009
Image,your god is the criminal(the bible told us so) and he is on trial.Who in the world will go to a court where a criminal is the judge?Nobody.None in their right minds,anyway. smiley
Image123:

@jagunlabi
I'm not here to defend God. He's not on trial, He's the Judge. I'm only trying to help you out, seeing your exasperations and misunderstandings of God and His children. You don't accuse a Judge of killing and unfair treatment after He's served deserved sentences on criminals.
Re: God Is Love by dexmond: 3:17am On Jun 08, 2009
I want to unequivocally state that God is love, Having being a recipient of his salvation!

God’s ways are mysterious. The bible even expressly stated it that it is not everything that we know about God. There are so many things that he did not reveal, now those are the things that make Him God.That explains the difficulty in trying to explain this great Spirit.
"His understanding is infinite" (Psalm 147:5, KJV).
, "His understanding no one can fathom" Isaiah 40:28  (NIV);
“For we know in part, and we prophesy in part”.(1corithians 13:9)
Hear Job.”Can you fathom the mysteries of God? Can you probe the limits of the Almighty? They are higher than the heavens—what can you do? They are deeper than the depths of the grave—what can you know? Their measure is longer than the earth and wider than the sea." (Job 11:7-9)

The question follows, can the finite human mind fully  understand the infinite God?
Any-one that does not have the spirit of God in him/her is none of his.
It is the spirit of God in a Christian believer that helps him to at least know his way to an appreciable level.
If you want to find out about God, you need to know Jesus first, if not , everything about God will be strange to you.
Re: God Is Love by jagunlabi(m): 9:12am On Jun 09, 2009
So when the bible god was personally performing or ordering killings,maimings and destructions of everything in sight in that part of the world at that time,according to the OT bible,he was showing his love for mankind in mysterious ways?Is that what you are trying to put across?If that is so,two words best describe your attempts of explanation,"PATHETIC" and "SICK".
dexmond:

I want to unequivocally state that God is love, Having being a recipient of his salvation!

God’s ways are mysterious. The bible even expressly stated it that it is not everything that we know about God. There are so many things that he did not reveal, now those are the things that make Him God.That explains the difficulty in trying to explain this great Spirit.
"His understanding is infinite" (Psalm 147:5, KJV).
, "His understanding no one can fathom" Isaiah 40:28 (NIV);
“For we know in part, and we prophesy in part”.(1corithians 13:9)
Hear Job.”Can you fathom the mysteries of God? Can you probe the limits of the Almighty? They are higher than the heavens—what can you do? They are deeper than the depths of the grave—what can you know? Their measure is longer than the earth and wider than the sea." (Job 11:7-9)

The question follows, can the finite human mind fully understand the infinite God?
Any-one that does not have the spirit of God in him/her is none of his.
It is the spirit of God in a Christian believer that helps him to at least know his way to an appreciable level.
If you want to find out about God, you need to know Jesus first, if not , everything about God will be strange to you.

Re: God Is Love by AKO1(m): 9:41am On Jun 09, 2009
yawns and leaves. . .
Re: God Is Love by ifele(m): 12:00am On Jun 10, 2009
The YHVH God is a warrior waging war against the wicked and their children to the 3rd generation glory be to his

name.Amen
Re: God Is Love by jagunlabi(m): 12:36pm On Jun 10, 2009
Thank your stars you were not alive at that time,or else you would've been part of the numerous innocent victims of the rampaging yahweh's senseless wars.Do i hear an "amen"? smiley
ifele:

The YHVH God is a warrior waging war against the wicked and their children to the 3rd generation glory be to his

name.Amen

(1) (Reply)

God's Voice In Your Head / Corpse Of Kidnapped Transporter Found In Church Premises / Meditation Of The Day(luke 15:11-32)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.