Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,739 members, 7,831,360 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:37 PM

Should I Give My Second Cousin An Egg - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Give My Second Cousin An Egg (2447 Views)

Should I Eject My Lesbian Cousin From My House? / How My Stepsister And Her Husband Tricked Me And Took Egg From My Ovaries / My 18 Years Old Second Cousin Still Urinates On Himself (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Give My Second Cousin An Egg by Epi: 10:49pm On Apr 27, 2009
First thing first, I just found out last week that a twenty-three year old can go into menopause shocked shocked.  If your intention is to curse me without answering the question, PLEASE (I am begging) do not respond.  Thanks in advance.

Right now, I am feeling hurt and guilty inside because I feel I am hurting a family member.  Ok, here is the situation:

My second cousin cannot have babies (b/c of some menopause issue) but can carry them undecided  My mum and other family members are asking me to give my cousin and her husband an egg.  Something about me and blah blah blah, and then my cousin is going to carry the baby.

So basically, my cousin is going to give birth to MY baby but they are telling me "technically" it can be hers, as if I am stupid".  The truth is - I don't have a baby so why should I let someone else have my baby first.  And when God bless me with a husband and we have kids, how do I explain to him that I "technically" have a kid outside. oh yea, I forgot, if I give my egg, I am not supposed  to let the baby know that I am the mother. . . undecided. .errrr now that's messed-up.  Plus the procedure to this egg giving sounds very scary sad

I am very close to my cousin and I love her very much but I soo confused. Question:
am I being selfish (if I don't give my cousin my egg) knowing i still will be able to have kids ?

*There is a reason why I am asking you to put aside the cursing, at least just for this thread. wink 

Thanks in advance
Re: Should I Give My Second Cousin An Egg by SeanT21(f): 10:53pm On Apr 27, 2009
Hell NO!!

Adoption is their answer!!
Re: Should I Give My Second Cousin An Egg by Hauwa1: 10:57pm On Apr 27, 2009
I can give my cousin my egg, but they must sign a paper in front of a lawyer . . . one copy for moi, one for them and the last copy for the court undecided i will keep my copy for my future hussy . . . just a to prove that i only assisted them.

follow your heart Epi.
Re: Should I Give My Second Cousin An Egg by Sissy3(f): 11:19pm On Apr 27, 2009
if she doesn't want to adopt, she can go for anonymous egg donation (which is also screened)

i would advise you to only donate if and only if you wholeheartedly agree to do so.

there is more to egg donation than removing the egg from the ovaries. there is physical, psychological, and emotional  attachment to it. and not everyone can handle it.

Don't let your family make this choice for you. Only do it if YOU want to do it and don't make the decision in a rush.

Be Wise in your decision and make one you wouldn't later regret

Personally, I wouldn't do for the simple reason that i cant be comfortable with it and cant through the process involved ( the drugs, and test etc.)
Re: Should I Give My Second Cousin An Egg by Ndipe(m): 1:13am On Apr 28, 2009
I would advise you not to. Do you think you will be able to walk past the child years down the road without wincing that he or she is actually your biological child? Would you not spill the beans to them of this family secret? Stand up and tell your family members, "No."
Re: Should I Give My Second Cousin An Egg by Treetop20(m): 1:54am On Apr 28, 2009
i would say no to this.
something ethically wrong with it
Re: Should I Give My Second Cousin An Egg by Nobody: 2:54am On Apr 28, 2009
Naa I wouldn't do it. Not ready for any emotional torment.
Re: Should I Give My Second Cousin An Egg by jamace(m): 7:07am On Apr 28, 2009
I am happy that most respondents have spoken my mind. I do not subscribe to you giving out your egg to her. Too close for comfort. Note that giving out an egg is far different from giving out a kidney or other organ or part. Advice them to go for an annonimous donor to save every stakeholder the psychological trauma associated with it.

Well, I live the final decision to you.
Re: Should I Give My Second Cousin An Egg by invisible2(m): 7:15am On Apr 28, 2009
The dis advantages far outweigh the advantages. Refuse, if you can help her find an anonimous donor, fine.
Re: Should I Give My Second Cousin An Egg by sparta(f): 3:39pm On Apr 28, 2009
i wouldnt, i guess am too emotional for that. I will always see the child as mine.
Re: Should I Give My Second Cousin An Egg by Ndipe(m): 11:12pm On Apr 28, 2009
sparta:

i wouldnt, i guess am too emotional for that. I will always see the child as mine.

I concur.
Re: Should I Give My Second Cousin An Egg by Nobody: 11:17pm On Apr 28, 2009
Don't do it.
Re: Should I Give My Second Cousin An Egg by iice(f): 4:30am On Apr 29, 2009
I would. . . But that's because i'm not so emotional undecided

Oh and how close i am to the cousin. . .
Re: Should I Give My Second Cousin An Egg by bawomolo(m): 4:46am On Apr 29, 2009
as someone said early, you need some legal protection
Re: Should I Give My Second Cousin An Egg by Nobody: 5:20am On Apr 29, 2009
put yourself in your cousin's shoes

i have friends who have been trying to have children for years undecided
Re: Should I Give My Second Cousin An Egg by TOYOSI20(f): 6:04am On Apr 29, 2009
In as much as this issue is controversial its also extremely sensitive!!

I'll advice that u weigh the pros, and cons well, before u make any final decisions, its a long term commitment,

especially cos of the emotional bond u'll have wid the child!!

Good luck to u both!! smiley
Re: Should I Give My Second Cousin An Egg by Oxone(m): 6:23am On Apr 29, 2009
oyb:

put yourself in your cousin's shoes

i have friends who have been trying to have children for years undecided

the key is putting yourself in her shoes & doing what you would have wanted her to do for you

i guess the reason they are asking you is cos they want to maintaining the family bloodline
Re: Should I Give My Second Cousin An Egg by Oxone(m): 6:33am On Apr 29, 2009
besides i'll rather have an egg from an family member than an outside cos atleast your sure of the family history & knows what to expect in terms of diseases & what not. a clear case of the devil you being better than the angel you dont know
Re: Should I Give My Second Cousin An Egg by sparta(f): 8:27am On Apr 29, 2009
I will also say its better she adopts, grl you are close now but stuffs happens. What if you fall out with your cousin later? Life has no guarantees.
Re: Should I Give My Second Cousin An Egg by Outstrip(f): 2:32am On Apr 30, 2009
Why does it have to be yours. I don't see how that is a good idea and I see this for all the reasons you gave. It will even get worse once you start having yours. You will always see that child and wonder if you would have raised him/her differently. Why can't she just get an egg from someone else outside of the family? If you are going to do it just make sure it is because you are 100% okay with it not because you were pressured. These sort of decisions are the kind that people might end up regretting for a lifetime
Re: Should I Give My Second Cousin An Egg by hoeyeadoe: 2:38am On Apr 30, 2009
I share yur concerns. But, ehmmmm,

I'd say give her, watever would be will be.
Re: Should I Give My Second Cousin An Egg by chikito1(f): 12:04pm On May 01, 2009
Personally i will not do it, Regardless of being able to donate.

I want to believe that when the egg is put in her, her husband will fertilise it, yea?

So logically, the baby will have your genes and her husbands genes. This is gross.

I think, it's way too emotional, also there will be some sort of connection with the child.

Somebody was saying what if you were in their shoes, and that he has friends that have been trying for

child for years. Whatever happened to adopting? I know there is nothing like having the child from your

loins and all. But i think adopting may still bring blessings and all. I heard about a couple that did not

have children and they opted to adopt and years after they had theirs, how about that. I know its hard,

but why involve other people to make the whole thing more complex than it already is.
Re: Should I Give My Second Cousin An Egg by JJYOU: 12:36pm On May 01, 2009
epi:

First thing first, I just found out last week that a twenty-three year old can go into menopause shocked shocked.  If your intention is to curse me without answering the question, PLEASE (I am begging) do not respond.  Thanks in advance.

Right now, I am feeling hurt and guilty inside because I feel I am hurting a family member.  Ok, here is the situation:

My second cousin cannot have babies (b/c of some menopause issue) but can carry them undecided  My mum and other family members are asking me to give my cousin and her husband an egg.  Something about me and blah blah blah, and then my cousin is going to carry the baby.

So basically, my cousin is going to give birth to MY baby but they are telling me "technically" it can be hers, as if I am stupid".  The truth is - I don't have a baby so why should I let someone else have my baby first.  And when God bless me with a husband and we have kids, how do I explain to him that I "technically" have a kid outside. oh yea, I forgot, if I give my egg, I am not supposed  to let the baby know that I am the mother. . . undecided. .errrr now that's messed-up.  Plus the procedure to this egg giving sounds very scary sad

I am very close to my cousin and I love her very much but I soo confused. Question:
am I being selfish (if I don't give my cousin my egg) knowing i still will be able to have kids ?

*There is a reason why I am asking you to put aside the cursing, at least just for this thread. wink 

Thanks in advance

simple question. if you were in her position would you have asked her and expected her to help you?

dont feel pressured or guilty to give. you may donate and it doesn't produce a child.

make sure you tell them your desison early so they start exploring other avenues. God help her at 23 she is already facing issues like this i pray God help her and make her stronger through this.

what causes early menopause?
Re: Should I Give My Second Cousin An Egg by Epi: 2:56am On May 03, 2009
Oxone:

the key is putting yourself in her shoes & doing what you would have wanted her to do for you
i guess the reason they are asking you is cos they want to maintaining the family bloodline
Oxone:

besides i'll rather have an egg from an family member than an outside cos atleast your sure of the family history & knows what to expect in terms of diseases & what not. a clear case of the devil you being better than the angel you dont know
Hmm, You spit the EXACT words from my family's mouth.  Are you a family member under disquise?  or you can "S.A.W"  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

@others

thanks for the input.  later on I'll expalin the procedure from beginning to end as I took notes.  No I am not going to do it,  . . .b/c of the procedure
Re: Should I Give My Second Cousin An Egg by Sissy3(f): 3:11am On May 03, 2009
epi:

later on I'll expalin the procedure from beginning to end as I took notes. No I am not going to do it, . . .b/c of the procedure

yea, the procedure is a vigorously one that's just one of the many fallback of it
Re: Should I Give My Second Cousin An Egg by Pataki: 1:21pm On May 03, 2009
Your decision is already made. Nothing else to say.
Re: Should I Give My Second Cousin An Egg by chinesedoll(f): 10:34pm On May 03, 2009
@Poster

Lemme recommend a book for u to read
so dat u understand d possible implications of wat u are abt to do

SHOCK 'AUTHOR' ROBIN COOK
Re: Should I Give My Second Cousin An Egg by Oxone(m): 6:45am On May 05, 2009
epi:

Hmm, You spit the EXACT words from my family's mouth.  Are you a family member under disquise?  or you can "S.A.W"  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

@others

thanks for the input.  later on I'll expalin the procedure from beginning to end as I took notes.  No I am not going to do it,  . . .b/c of the procedure

nope am no family member but the decision is yours alone. wish you luck with whatever you decide aight?
Re: Should I Give My Second Cousin An Egg by nnaemmy(m): 2:23pm On May 09, 2009
Don't even try it. They should wait upon God there is nothing He cannot do, or better still they can go for adoption.
Re: Should I Give My Second Cousin An Egg by yme1(f): 2:32pm On May 09, 2009
tough
Re: Should I Give My Second Cousin An Egg by Secretz(f): 9:39pm On May 09, 2009
Yes, I would because I am close with her and can only imagine her ordeal. (wouldn't really look at the baby as mine since she's carrying and it's going to be hers anyway-she is not doing surrogacy)

No, because, in your circumstances, you haven't had any kids of your own yet, and how do you know that egg is not the only one that will ever give you a child? and the only child?

undecided grin
Re: Should I Give My Second Cousin An Egg by Radiant(f): 11:04pm On May 09, 2009
I like details so pls don't be offended if I ask some questions.

Is there any family history of early menopause? Did she have surgical procedures? Any disease? Her mother's health condition when pregnant with ur cousin?

There are so many things that can cause early MP.

Anyway, if I were in ur shoes there'll be a higher chance of me donating than not. I mean, ur cousin is more or less ur sister. It's a tough one though but you should give it a serious thought and make sure the decision is urs and not influenced by pressure.

Another question: She wants only one child? Or are you supposed to donate as many eggs as she wants? Now, that might get really complicated emotionally.

God's wisdom girl.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Family And I Went For Friends' Wedding In Style / The Pressure Is Getting Too Much... What Should I Do? / Falling Out Of Love

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.