Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,412 members, 7,830,089 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:58 PM

White Wedding Location Issues – What Would You Do? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / White Wedding Location Issues – What Would You Do? (4014 Views)

Traditional And White Wedding Of Old Aunty (Photos) / Help!!! Should I Go On With My White Wedding? / Neighbour Issues, What Should I Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

White Wedding Location Issues – What Would You Do? by Esthersblog(f): 12:18pm On Oct 16, 2015
Culturally, some tribes will say the white wedding should be done in the groom’s church, some others, the bride’s church, and also, the liberal ones who are indifferent about where the white wedding should take place.

It is believed that, as a man, you are going to ask for a woman’s hand in marriage and therefore, you have to adhere to your bride-to-be and her family’s decision about the location of the wedding, and if it’s not favourable for the man and his family, then the groom and maybe with some members of his family will have to discuss it with the bride’s family and afterwards come to a conclusion.

It is also believed that after the wedding, a woman is supposed to join her husband in his church fully and as a result of this, the white wedding should be held at the bride’s church to honour her for the last time since he is taking her out of her church.

Traditional and white weddings are usually held at the bride and her family’s choice of location. But sometimes when making the decision about where the white wedding should take place, conflicts arises from both families. The parents of the bride would want the wedding to take place in their church and at the same time, the parents of the groom wants the wedding in their own church as well.

What would you do when both parents want the wedding to take place in their churches at the same time?

www.esther.com.ng
Re: White Wedding Location Issues – What Would You Do? by Nobody: 12:40pm On Oct 16, 2015
Esthersblog:
Culturally, some tribes will say the white wedding should be done in the groom’s church, some others, the bride’s church, and also, the liberal ones who are indifferent about where the white wedding should take place.

It is believed that, as a man, you are going to ask for a woman’s hand in marriage and therefore, you have to adhere to your bride-to-be and her family’s decision about the location of the wedding, and if it’s not favourable for the man and his family, then the groom and maybe with some members of his family will have to discuss it with the bride’s family and afterwards come to a conclusion.

It is also believed that after the wedding, a woman is supposed to join her husband in his church fully and as a result of this, the white wedding should be held at the bride’s church to honour her for the last time since he is taking her out of her church.

Traditional and white weddings are usually held at the bride and her family’s choice of location. But sometimes when making the decision about where the white wedding should take place, conflicts arises from both families. The parents of the bride would want the wedding to take place in their church and at the same time, the parents of the groom wants the wedding in their own church as well.

What would you do when both parents want the wedding to take place in their churches at the same time?
Its not a problem @all. na to fix separate wedding dates for each of d family i.e. the groom family and d bride family

1 Like

Re: White Wedding Location Issues – What Would You Do? by Nobody: 12:45pm On Oct 16, 2015
Culturally, it's the woman's church... (so I heard), because she would be leaving her church to the groom's church after that day.

Wetin no dey cause problem for Nigeria sef? Location again? But they can travel to the US, that one doesn't cause problem. grin
Just do court wedding make everybody rest biko.

Seriously it's about compromise. One person has to play the fool, whoever decides to isn't my business right now.
Re: White Wedding Location Issues – What Would You Do? by fav444(f): 12:47pm On Oct 16, 2015
Not in the Catholic Church o, the rule will either make u go in or go out. No room for wed and after go to ur husband church. if u must wed there u must remain a member. if u can't follow this rule na u sabi
Re: White Wedding Location Issues – What Would You Do? by pet4ril(f): 1:02pm On Oct 16, 2015
It's commonly done in the woman's church but if the man really wants it in his church maybe because of his friends especially if they are living in the city, it's a matter of understanding. Talk it out with the bride then they have the traditional in the village and go to where they are residing to do the church wedding

1 Like

Re: White Wedding Location Issues – What Would You Do? by robosky02(m): 1:03pm On Oct 16, 2015
Kachisbarbie:
Culturally, it's the woman's church... (so I heard), because she would be leaving her church to the groom's church after that day.

Wetin no dey cause problem for Nigeria sef? Location again? But they can travel to the US, that one doesn't cause problem. grin

Seriously it's about compromise. One person has to play the fool, whoever decides to isn't my business right now.

kashi whats your own
Re: White Wedding Location Issues – What Would You Do? by Nobody: 1:07pm On Oct 16, 2015
robosky02:

kashi whats your own

What I do? embarassed
Re: White Wedding Location Issues – What Would You Do? by robosky02(m): 1:19pm On Oct 16, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

What I do? embarassed

where your own go be
Re: White Wedding Location Issues – What Would You Do? by Esthersblog(f): 10:08pm On Oct 19, 2015
I also heard that about the catholic church.
fav444:
Not in the Catholic Church o, the rule will either make u go in or go out. No room for wed and after go to ur husband church. if u must wed there u must remain a member. if u can't follow this rule na u sabi
Re: White Wedding Location Issues – What Would You Do? by Esthersblog(f): 10:09pm On Oct 19, 2015
Thank you.
pet4ril:
It's commonly done in the woman's church but if the man really wants it in his church maybe because of his friends especially if they are living in the city, it's a matter of understanding. Talk it out with the bride then they have the traditional in the village and go to where they are residing to do the church wedding
Re: White Wedding Location Issues – What Would You Do? by jamesbridget13(f): 8:01am On Oct 20, 2015
Hmmmmmm. I dont see why d venue shld cause any problem. Its only a matter of understanding each other. In my case i n my husband planned to have it done in his church but my dad kicked against it. I had to let him knw dat if it must be in our church dat it must also be in d town my hubby lives which happens to be our lga n where i work. My dad accepted n he arranged with d pst n we had it done. Kogi state n rivers state is quite a distance ooo. My dad had to do as we wanted o. My hubby even liked it because his church procedures no be come chop o. Lol
Pls about to wed peeps, dont let venue cause a thing. Just iron it out with understanding.
Re: White Wedding Location Issues – What Would You Do? by Esthersblog(f): 2:47pm On Oct 20, 2015
Lol. Sometimes some parents make a big issue out of it. Thanks.
jamesbridget13:
Hmmmmmm. I dont see why d venue shld cause any problem. Its only a matter of understanding each other. In my case i n my husband planned to have it done in his church but my dad kicked against it. I had to let him knw dat if it must be in our church dat it must also be in d town my hubby lives which happens to be our lga n where i work. My dad accepted n he arranged with d pst n we had it done. Kogi state n rivers state is quite a distance ooo. My dad had to do as we wanted o. My hubby even liked it because his church procedures no be come chop o. Lol
Pls about to wed peeps, dont let venue cause a thing. Just iron it out with understanding.
Re: White Wedding Location Issues – What Would You Do? by jamesbridget13(f): 3:21pm On Oct 20, 2015
Esthersblog:
Lol. Sometimes some parents make a big issue out of it. Thanks.
parent sabi worry. #sweettalking them is d key. Just give dem d advantages of having it where u wish. U ll see them reason along side. Are u ATW?
Re: White Wedding Location Issues – What Would You Do? by Esthersblog(f): 3:50pm On Oct 20, 2015
It's a good friend of mine who is about to wed, and this has been an issue for over three weeks now.
jamesbridget13:
parent sabi worry. #sweettalking them is d key. Just give dem d advantages of having it where u wish. U ll see them reason along side. Are u ATW?
Re: White Wedding Location Issues – What Would You Do? by jamesbridget13(f): 3:57pm On Oct 20, 2015
Esthersblog:
It's a good friend of mine who is about to wed, and this has been an issue for over three weeks now.
k. She better apply wisdom o
Re: White Wedding Location Issues – What Would You Do? by Esthersblog(f): 4:07pm On Oct 20, 2015
Yeah, she is also reading the comments here from other people's experience. Thank you.
jamesbridget13:
k. She better apply wisdom o

1 Like

Re: White Wedding Location Issues – What Would You Do? by nnamdibig(m): 6:21am On Oct 21, 2015
The only marriage in the bible is traditional marriage so I don't see any problem in location of white wedding. It's just a case of both couples deciding where it's very convenient for them. A friend invited a pastor to the reception hall. After a very short service, they went out & came in for reception at the same venue. Very simple and cool.
Re: White Wedding Location Issues – What Would You Do? by Esthersblog(f): 2:52pm On Oct 21, 2015
Easier said than done for some couples. You know, families are also involved. I'm sure left to some couples, they just want to pay the bride price and forget every other thing.
nnamdibig:
The only marriage in the bible is traditional marriage so I don't see any problem in location of white wedding. It's just a case of both couples deciding where it's very convenient for them. A friend invited a pastor to the reception hall. After a very short service, they went out & came in for reception at the same venue. Very simple and cool.
Re: White Wedding Location Issues – What Would You Do? by Richy4(m): 9:25am On Oct 22, 2015
It has never been an issue in my state. it is an unwritten law that when it comes to church wedding, the venue will always be in the groom's church.

except on a situation where the groom doesn't attend church. But if the girl was a catholic member, and the man wasn't, some parent sometimes will insist that she should not marry the man (initial gra gra as we call it. but they will later chill as the gifts start rolling in) because the wedding will be taking place in the groom's church.

Especially those girls that got parent that are knight of saint this or that
Re: White Wedding Location Issues – What Would You Do? by qhutetomsel(f): 11:09am On Oct 22, 2015
Esthersblog:

www.esther.com.ng
something like this happened during my parents wedding where both families wanted the wedding to take place in their different churches. They ended up doing the wedding in their different churches on the same day.. but personally I think the decision of the bride's family should be honoured.
Re: White Wedding Location Issues – What Would You Do? by Esthersblog(f): 12:50pm On Oct 22, 2015
Yeah. It seems catholics have very strong rules. I know of some ladies who had their white weddings in the guy's church because he is catholic and they are not, not like that is what they wanted.
Richy4:
It has never been an issue in my state. it is an unwritten law that when it comes to church wedding, the venue will always be in the groom's church.

except on a situation where the groom doesn't attend church. But if the girl was a catholic member, and the man wasn't, some parent sometimes will insist that she should not marry the man (initial gra gra as we call it. but they will later chill as the gifts start rolling in) because the wedding will be taking place in the groom's church.

Especially those girls that got parent that are knight of saint this or that
Re: White Wedding Location Issues – What Would You Do? by Esthersblog(f): 12:52pm On Oct 22, 2015
Yeah, I totally agree with you. Going to three different venues same day all in the name of wedding, I can only imagine the stress.
qhutetomsel:
something like this happened during my parents wedding where both families wanted the wedding to take place in their different churches. They ended up doing the wedding in their different churches on the same day.. but personally I think the decision of the bride's family should be honoured.
Re: White Wedding Location Issues – What Would You Do? by MMotimo: 5:36am On Oct 23, 2015
In my Yoruba family, paternal and maternal, the bride's family sponsors the introduction, wedding reception and engagement ceremonies.The wedding is done in the bride's parents' church. As far as I know, this is the norm in Yorubaland unless things have changed.
Re: White Wedding Location Issues – What Would You Do? by virginboy1(m): 6:20am On Oct 23, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

My sister I tire ooo, to marry for naija no easy at all. Tribe,Religion,Location,Tradition,History, Language et al na part of its criteria.
Re: White Wedding Location Issues – What Would You Do? by virginboy1(m): 6:23am On Oct 23, 2015
MMotimo:
In my Yoruba family, paternal and maternal, the bride's family sponsors the introduction, wedding reception and engagement ceremonies.The wedding is done in the bride's parents' church. As far as I know, this is the norm in Yorubaland unless things have changed.
For real? And I was thinking to marry a Yorubaland lady would be expensive due to the plenty Owambe'.
Re: White Wedding Location Issues – What Would You Do? by MMotimo: 6:35am On Oct 23, 2015
virginboy1:

For real? And I was thinking to marry a Yorubaland lady would be expensive due to the plenty Owambe'.

The owambe on the wedding night is usually sponsored by the husband's side at a venue of their own choosing, that's why I didn't add it up there. As far as I know, this still holds true.
Re: White Wedding Location Issues – What Would You Do? by virginboy1(m): 6:47am On Oct 23, 2015
MMotimo:

The owambe on the wedding night is usually sponsored by the husband's side at a venue of their own choosing, that's why I didn't add it up there. As far as I know, this still holds true.
As far as the man is not mandated to do the every every it is OK unlike some tribes that will want to wreck their son in-law
Re: White Wedding Location Issues – What Would You Do? by Esthersblog(f): 9:46am On Oct 24, 2015
Really The bride's family sponsors everything undecided. That's a lot, i guess. I hope the yoruba grooms support their brides. ts also good to know to know the wedding is usually done in the bride's church.
What if she marries from another tribe?
MMotimo:
Re: White Wedding Location Issues – What Would You Do? by Esthersblog(f): 9:48am On Oct 24, 2015
At all, its not easy. It just too much stress...
virginboy1:

My sister I tire ooo, to marry for naija no easy at all. Tribe,Religion,Location,Tradition,History, Language et al na part of its criteria.
Re: White Wedding Location Issues – What Would You Do? by Esthersblog(f): 9:49am On Oct 24, 2015
Lol. I thought so too.
virginboy1:

Re: White Wedding Location Issues – What Would You Do? by virginboy1(m): 4:56pm On Oct 24, 2015
[quote author=Esthersblog post=39305742]At all, its not easy. It just too much stress...
[/quote.

More reason Gamephobia, the fear to marry, is becoming rampant in this our contemporary society
Re: White Wedding Location Issues – What Would You Do? by virginboy1(m): 4:57pm On Oct 24, 2015
Esthersblog:
At all, its not easy. It just too much stress...

As if the stress is worth it

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cute Kids And Statues / Calling Off Wedding After Introduction? / Wife Lost 15kg In 3 Months: Mothers Please Advice.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.