Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,708 members, 7,840,770 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 02:17 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (324686 Views)

U.S. Immigration Crackdown, ICE Arrest Over 140 Workers At A Beef Plant(Pics) / See Reason Why A US Consular Refused To Grant Visa / Ask A Pilot... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (96) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Mouse611: 6:36pm On Apr 10, 2016
My mum applied for me F1 visa unmarried sons. I would like to apply for a visitors visa will I be granted?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by misderah: 9:34am On Apr 12, 2016
Good morning VO,

Please is a person ineligible for a B1/B2 visa if they have a pending immigrant visa?

My sister applied for an immigrant visa for me years ago, this has been approved and we've been asked to wait for a visa number.

Can i still apply for a b1/b2 while that is ongoing? i have a wedding invitation.

Or can the immigrant petition be withdrawn at this stage as it has been going on for too long?

Thank you..
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by MrYagi: 10:36am On Apr 12, 2016
Good Morning vo,
Please can a voluntary withdrawal of entry into Canada(Allowed to leave form signed)
in any way affect entry into the USA on a valid USA visa?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:20am On Apr 17, 2016
Bobbybenard:
Hi visaofficer, I've been following this thread for a very long time. I have a friend in USA,he's now a citizen. He want to process USA immigrant visa for me. How possible is that? ? . Thanks in anticipation.

You have to meet the requirements for an immigrant visa - you can find them here: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate.html
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:22am On Apr 17, 2016
pretty16:
Good day V.O.

Here is my Question. I am a Beneficiary of a Petition under F2B category Filed by my Mom. She became a Citizen long before the case was approved 2yrs ago. She called Uscis back in 2012 to inform them she was already a Citizen, but for some reason the case was still kept under F2b category, which seems to even move faster than F1 under the Visa Bulletin. I Am Single, and Have 2kids. My Boyfriend and I Live together and taking care of our kids. My First son is 3+ while my second son is 6months. Please how do I inform them about my boys so they can be added as Derivatives to my case. What documents are required??

Awaiting your reply. Thanks and have a blessed day.

You can contact NVC with your children's information to have them added to the case, or you can inform the officer about your children during your interview. It is best to get in contact with NVC before the interview though.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:23am On Apr 17, 2016
JECU:
Dear VO

I am married but my passport bears my maiden name and i also want to use my maiden name to fill my visa application form online. My question is this,will that in anyway affect my chances of given a visa(visiting for 1month)

Provided you are legally married, this will not affect your visa. In fact, we can only put the name that is on your passport in the visa.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:24am On Apr 17, 2016
Adazlolly:
Hello VO, I have gone through the US Embassy website, and it seems that the only option a prospective immigrant have is to either have a spouse, a fiance(e) or à close family member like a parent, sister or brother, or a company/business who can file for him/her, now my question is what if one does not have any of these? Rather you have cousins, nieces, nephews, friends etc, what option does such a person has who is sincerely willing to migrate to the United States. Thanks in anticipation for your kind and sincere answer.

If you do not have a qualifying relationship there are a few visa classes for business investors or specific job skills - you can read more about immigrant visas here: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate.html
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:25am On Apr 17, 2016
Eddysparko:
Good evening VO

Please I will like to know if Nigeria traditional wedding is consider legal for immigration purpose

Thanks

Yes, the US government recognizes traditional marriage as it is recognized in Nigeria. For purposes of processing the application it is best to get the paperwork from the traditional court.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:28am On Apr 17, 2016
kennycanny:
Dear VO,
pls advice on how best to handle this matter.

An American citizen will like to adopt a child(13 yrs) whose mother died shortly after childbirth , and since has been leaving with her grandmother and unfortunately the grandmother ( blood sister) to the American citizen passed on late last year. And since the child as nott be enjoying best of care.

Note. The dad never married the child's mother because they were both in the secondary school when the pregnancy occur.

The dad just finish university and yet to secure a job or be able to take care of his own child and willing to release the child to his aunt ( us citizen ) for custody or adoption.

How can they handle it without breaking any law.

A detail response will be highly appreciated.

The child must be legally adopted in Nigeria before you begin worrying about the visa process - you need to consult someone familiar with Nigerian law surrounding adoptions to determine if this is even a possibility given these circumstances.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:32am On Apr 17, 2016
stevlus:
Dear VO,

I am a male Nigerian living and working in Nigeria and my fiancé is also a Nigerian but relocated to the US about 4 Years ago when her father who is an American Citizen filed for her.

I have now decided to relocate to meet her in the US, we are not married yet but she visits me regularly within the last 4 years in Nigeria (at least twice a year).

Do we have to wait for her to become a US citizen early next year before we start the process or we start now? Do we have to do our wedding in Nigeria here before we start the whole process? we want to know what options are available for me to relocate to go and join her because we were thinking it will be easier and quicker when she becomes a US citizen.

How you go about this is entirely up to you, I recommend you read the information available on the State Department's website for more detailed information: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate.html

As a citizen, your fiancé could apply for a K-1 fiancé visa for you... but she must be a citizen.
If you were to get married in Nigeria, she could apply for you while she is a legal permanent resident (F2A), or under a different visa class (IR-1) if she is a citizen.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:34am On Apr 17, 2016
andyGh:
Hello CO, I was just denied an immigrate visa (dv lottery visa) last week base on the merit that the winning name is different from the one I used on the visa application forms. It's just the same name but included a day born name in the middle.
I was just trying to follow instructions as stated on the right side of the forms to write the name in the passport. I have then gone ahead to swear an affidavit on the name. What can I do next? Can I petition? and do I need a lawyer to see to that. Do I still have a chance?

Decisions made as part of Diversity Visa interviews are final.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:35am On Apr 17, 2016
steryville:
Hello VO,
Please kindly assist with clarification on this.i want to know if my fiancee can file a Fiance visa for me even though we have done traditional wedding.

No, you are technically married under Nigerian law and do not qualify for the K-1 fiancé visa. You can obtain documentation from the traditional court if needed to add to your IR-1 petition.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:39am On Apr 17, 2016
Blueberryblast:
Good day dearest VO,
I traveled to the US last year with an immigrant visa and intend coming back to get married soon.
We also intend to have a registry wedding in my husband-to-be's city.

1)Please is it true that only marriage certificates from Federal registry Ikoyi Lagos are considered authentic by the embassy for immigration purposes?

2)Is it adviceable to go ahead with our city's local registry marriage as earlier planned? and if I do so, do I need to get a certified copy of the marriage certificate from Federal Registry Lagos for immigration purposes even though I have the original marriage certificate issued at my local registry?

3) I intend to spend few months (2-3months) with my husband after the wedding for honeymoon & probably increasing our family, but would want to file I-130 for him immediately after we wed.
Please can I file the I-130 while still here on honeymoon in Nigeria since I should be back to the US even before the case makes its way to NVC from USCIS.
NB my parents and siblings are all in the US & we have a family home there which is my physical address.

4) if I get pregnant and need my hubby to come witness the birth of his first child, will he be granted a short stay non-immigrant visa to do so as we wouldn't want him to miss out on such significant family landmarks.

Sorry for my numerous questions Sir,
Thank you as I humbly await your always kind & infallible response.

A legally valid marriage certificate recognized by the government of Nigeria is acceptable - it does not have to come from Ikoyi Lagos. You are able to carry on with the wedding as planned without any problems.

I believe you will have to file the I-130 from the US; this initial step is handled by a different agency.

As far as a non-immigrant visa is concerned, there are no guarantees as each case is evaluated on its on merits.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:39am On Apr 17, 2016
bleek147:
Good afternoon sir,

My pettion as being approved and the visa centre has sent my case file to the america embassy lagos.
Today makes 4days since I was told my file as being sent to the embassy. Please how soon will ithey call me and what email address or phone number can I contact with my. number just for them to check if my file is in there embassy.

Thank you

Files are packed into boxes and shipped to the Consulate. It can take several weeks for them to arrive and be processed. As soon as your case is ready, you will be contacted.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:42am On Apr 17, 2016
Mine11:
Yes this is an immigrant visa issue, I went for an interview today and I was ask several questions about my spouse and I did answer them correctly, The only problem I have was that I applied for a non immigrants visa in 2009 and it was an agent that fill the form and gave me all the documents intact he gave them me at the premises around the embassy and told me what to do so I really don't know what he filled in the form and eventually I was denied, He stated I was married and I never knew not until the day at my immigrant interview the lady told me that I was once married and I said no so he told me I apply 2009 and I stated I was married so I told her the truth that it was an agent that help me and I did not actually know what was in the form...they gave me a paper and told me they will get back to me within 60 working days that if I don't hear from them I should contact them. What do I need to do, I have told my spouse everything already. Please I need your help.

Unfortunately your credibility has been permanently damaged by the use of a visa agent. All you can do at this point is be honest; you will likely be asked about this previous refusal and the circumstances surrounding your "marriage" at that time.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:43am On Apr 17, 2016
Jason27:
Good morning Officer my friend in short brother live in USA married US citizen, which type of visa can this couple apply for me, I'm not going for visit, I want to stay and work. Thanks

Unfortunately, there is no category of immigrant visa that meets your needs. You can learn more about qualifying for a U.S. immigrant visa here: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate.html
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:45am On Apr 17, 2016
Anita79:
Hello VO. I had my first interview and was asked to do a DNA. My result is already at the embassy and i haven't been contacted yet. Please can you help me look into my case LGS2015***003.. I'm to leave for Ibadan but i'm still in Lagos so i could round up everything before i go. Please i would be waiting for your reply. Thanks.

I cannot look into specific cases - you should contact LagosIV@state.gov for information on your specific case.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:47am On Apr 17, 2016
elti:
Hi . i had my interview at march 29 . the consular oficer ask me and my wife only 4 questions . after that he told me everything looks ok and we can go home . he take our pasports . after 2 days i checked the CEAC and i se my visa status is in Administrative Procesing. so after 3 days i got a email from embassy my pasports are given to a courrier DHL . when i get passport back without a visa and a refusal 221G . so in this refusal the oficer is writing in english. so what can i do ? and for what reason consular make this decision ?

This does not look like a document utilized by the U.S. Consulate in Lagos, Nigeria. I am unable to comment on the specifics of this case and, frankly, don't even understand the situation.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:48am On Apr 17, 2016
love2002:
Hello VO,
Please could you advise on what to do in this scenario. 10 years ago my elder sister got mixed up with some bad friends by allowin them influence her make a wrong choice, she went to Swaziland to stay with some friends,in the process, they linked her up on how to get a genuine swazi passport to apply to the US embassy, tho with a different name, she did apply in 2006 but was denied and the 2fingerprints were taken, she left in 2007 and got back to Nigeria and since then, she has done well for herself, she has visited Dublin, now engaged to be married, working, has a small business of her own. But now she wants to visit the US but scared to do that as her past deeds keeps hunting her. Please what can you advise she do being that she is a changed person and really wants to visit the US?

If she applied under a false identity, she is ineligible under section 6C1 for misrepresentation. She can apply for a waiver, but there is no guarantee that she will receive one.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:51am On Apr 17, 2016
annichere:
Good morning VO,
I'm in dire need of your advice. My family wants me to come over to the US using a work visa way but I'm saying I should visit first because I'm scared the work visa process might take a long time and also I don't know what my chances are due to the fact that my whole family is based in the US and I'm the only one in Nigeria (no strong ties down here). They don't just want me to visit, they want me to come and stay. Kindly advise me on what to do. Thanks for advance

I am in no position to advise you on how to make your life decisions - that being said I would recommend that you thoroughly review the requirements for a work visa as they are very different and specific from other visa classes.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:53am On Apr 17, 2016
themall:
Hello, My relation in the US has applied on my behalf for the Immigrant Visa. Later, I received the following message. concerning the status of my application:

"On November X, 2010, we approved your Form I-130, Immigrant Petition for Relative, Fiance(E), or Orphan, Receipt Number WACxxxxxxxxxx. We will mail your approval notice. Please follow the instructions in the notice. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address."

How long do I really have to wait in worst case scenario? Please help. I later contacted their office in Lagos by mail. I got a reply. I'll post the redacted form in my next post. I hope you can throw more light

This is handled by another agency - until they move the file forward to us at the Consulate in Lagos we are unable to move forward. You should contact USCIS for additional information.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:56am On Apr 17, 2016
Mine11:
Hello Sir,

You haven't respond yet??

Asking the same question repeatedly does not assist us in quickly answering everyone's questions. Please ask your questions once after reviewing this thread to determine if the information has not already been made available.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:58am On Apr 17, 2016
Ardedamolar:
Good Morning Everyone.

My fiancée lives and work in USA but i live and work in Nigeria. I have a 2 years Visa for visiting the US. My fiancée has been disturbing me lately that i have to come and stay with her and the kid. We have a kid. We are planning to get married when i get there. But my question is, should i resign from my job here and stay with them after the wedding? How many months does it take their National Visa Center to process my case in order to be a resident? And how can i get someone there to help me out in the processing cos my fiancée does not know much about it?

Thank you

I am in no position to offer advice on how to make your major life decisions. Your fiance can refer to the website for additional information, or contact an immigration lawyer in the United States. https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate.html
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:59am On Apr 17, 2016
ayobamimoses07:
good day our Vo. we thank u for all your advices
is it legal and possible to convert a visiting visa(b2 visa) to a K1 visa while in the US on visiting?
i understand k1 visa from nigeria is almost impossible, and i intend to marry my old girl friend here in the usa...i am on a b2 visit visa
can i apply for a k1 visa and then marry here in the usa
thank u sir

No, you cannot convert from a B1/B2 to a K1 while in the United States.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:59am On Apr 17, 2016
loluola:
Please my wife is a registered nurse and wish to relocated to US and work legally there, pls what do we need to do. Thanks

You can learn more about visa requirements here: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate.html

If she is going to immigrate, a company will have to submit a petition for her.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 4:01am On Apr 17, 2016
Mouse611:
My mum applied for me F1 visa unmarried sons. I would like to apply for a visitors visa will I be granted?

Each non-immigrant visa interview is based on individual circumstances - having an outstanding immigrant visa does not disqualify you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 4:03am On Apr 17, 2016
misderah:
Good morning VO,

Please is a person ineligible for a B1/B2 visa if they have a pending immigrant visa?

My sister applied for an immigrant visa for me years ago, this has been approved and we've been asked to wait for a visa number.

Can i still apply for a b1/b2 while that is ongoing? i have a wedding invitation.

Or can the immigrant petition be withdrawn at this stage as it has been going on for too long?

Thank you..

It has been stated here several times that a pending immigrant visa does not disqualify you from obtaining a B1/B2 tourist visa. The decision at your interview will be based on the merits of your individual circumstances that you present.

It would not be advisable to withdraw an immigrant visa application as it would require you to begin the entire process from the beginning again.

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (96)

Which Country In Africa Has The Most Beautiful Women? / Need Help With Direction / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.