Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,370 members, 7,861,022 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 09:13 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (33) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (325365 Views)

U.S. Immigration Crackdown, ICE Arrest Over 140 Workers At A Beef Plant(Pics) / See Reason Why A US Consular Refused To Grant Visa / Ask A Pilot... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (96) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:03am On May 23, 2016
bleek147:
Good morning sir, please I want know if a US citizen come to nigeria, will he or she be able to go inside the us embassy lagos state to meet the consular without appointment booking.

I want find out this and pass the answer to my US citizen wife that is coming to nigeria soon.

Thank you sir.

Sure, they can go in and speak with American Citizens Services. This does not, however, influence or speed up your immigrant visa petition.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by tessy067: 8:03am On May 23, 2016
Good morning sir,
I have my immigrant visa interview scheduled for Thursday next week and my spouse is currently around. I want to ask if he could attend the interview with me that is participate in the interview while i am with the consular being the petitioner and we also have CRBA interview for our baby so i need to know if he being the citizen will attend the interview alone or we can both do that.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bleek147(m): 8:38am On May 23, 2016
LagosNIV:

Sure, they can go in and speak with American Citizens Services. This does not, however, influence or speed up your immigrant visa petition.

Thank you sir, we are planing to get married before going to meet with the consular at the lagos embassy, but she find out that the k1 file is still open there at the embassy and as the consular only demand that me and my fiance should meet before the petition started, and she is coming to meet me now, my question is, can me and she go to them since file is still open.

Thank you sir.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 12:44pm On May 23, 2016
bleek147:

Thank you sir, we are planing to get married before going to meet with the consular at the lagos embassy, but she find out that the k1 file is still open there at the embassy and as the consular only demand that me and my fiance should meet before the petition started, and she is coming to meet me now, my question is, can me and she go to them since file is still open.

Thank you sir.

You have to have met before the K1 petition was filed - and if you get married you have to submit a CR-1 petition. Either way, it doesn't sounds like you are going to technically be eligible for the interview while she is here.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 12:45pm On May 23, 2016
tessy067:
Good morning sir,
I have my immigrant visa interview scheduled for Thursday next week and my spouse is currently around. I want to ask if he could attend the interview with me that is participate in the interview while i am with the consular being the petitioner and we also have CRBA interview for our baby so i need to know if he being the citizen will attend the interview alone or we can both do that.

The CRBA is dealt with by another section - American Citizens Services.

As far as your interview goes, I don't know if security will allow her in; it is your interview after all. As long as you answer all of the questions honestly it shouldn't be an issue.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by emmotions: 1:59pm On May 23, 2016
LagosNIV:

You need to have met before she files for the visa, so yes, at this time it is too early to file. When she comes in 3 months she will be eligible to file. There is no need to wait a year though.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by emmotions: 2:01pm On May 23, 2016
LagosNIV:

If you know that a document is in the file or can provide it at the time of the interview, that is always the fastest way to get these things done. That being said, you should read the white paper as it has all the instructions on how and where to drop off additional information. The case can't move forward until you've dropped the necessary paperwork off, but there is no time limit unless you fail to provide the information for at least 1 year.

Dear LagosNIV,

Thanks again for your last response to my question.

Today, I checked my Visa Status and it displays Issued.

What next? Should I visit the GSS DHL tomorrow.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bleek147(m): 3:01pm On May 23, 2016
[quote author=LagosNIV post=45892417]

You have to have met before the K1 petition was filed - and if you get married you have to submit a CR-1 petition. Either way, it doesn't sounds like you are going to technically be eligible for the interview while she .

Thank you sir, I really appreciat your good work. She would have really love to come to me so tht we can meet before the petition takes place but she was really sick of breast cancer and she went through kimo terrapy and after kimo terrapy , she went through sugery on her breast and because of all this treatment she was not able to travel by then and the uscis demand for so many proove from her doctor before the file was finally being approved but the lagos embassy still demand we should have met, after I made a good explaination to the consular, this is why she want to come now that the file is still open here in the embassy, I want to know if they can reconsider us and give me the visa when we both go to the consular and she will explain her self to them why we can not met before she file the petition.

Sir , please advise if they can reconsider us. We have suppose to be together now and filing another petition will take long time to be approve again that is why we want to go pleed with the consular.

Thank you
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by yehmesee: 10:51pm On May 23, 2016
Good day sir, After being in administrative processing for 6months, we checked the CEAC website today and it showed refused. After the interview my husband was told that his visa has been approved and his passport was taken from him, please sir how can we know what constitute the refusal? Can it be because of his medical report and police report , which i believe has expired? because i dont understand the refusal (we have been married for 4years and we have a kid together) please can you shed some light into this? Thank you very much.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 5:43am On May 24, 2016
bleek147:
Sir , please advise if they can reconsider us. We have suppose to be together now and filing another petition will take long time to be approve again that is why we want to go pleed with the consular.

I have been pretty clear about this so this will be the last time I address your question -
U.S. law requires that you meet in person before the K-1 petition is filed. If you file a CR-1 marriage petition, it must be submitted to USCIS for approval before they send it to us for the interview. No exceptions.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 5:45am On May 24, 2016
yehmesee:
Good day sir, (LND2012855002) After being in administrative processing for 6months, we checked the CEAC website today and it showed refused. After the interview my husband was told that his visa has been approved and his passport was taken from him, please sir how can we know what constitute the refusal? Can it be because of his medical report and police report , which i believe has expired? because i dont understand the refusal (we have been married for 4years and we have a kid together) please can you shed some light into this? Thank you very much.

You need to contact the Consulate directly for particulars about your case. Generally speaking, refusals following administrative processing occur because an ineligibility was concealed during the time of the investigation but has been uncovered over the course of an investigation.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by africraig: 6:26am On May 24, 2016
Good morning VO,
I want to know if erroneous information on previous us visa applications are classified as misrepresentations, and if that's true, if one is being honest about it on subsequent application, will there be an adverse effect on such application?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 6:30am On May 24, 2016
africraig:
Good morning VO,
I want to know if erroneous information on previous us visa applications are classified as misrepresentations, and if that's true, if one is being honest about it on subsequent application, will there be an adverse effect on such application?

A timely retraction of previous misrepresentations is one of the criteria for allowing officers to look past them. This, of course, means that you need to be open and forthcoming about the fact that you misrepresented yourself previously and not try to conceal it - either actively by creating new lies or passively by simply choosing not to mention it.

Simple errors are just that, simple errors. Lying about them becomes a different issue.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by africraig: 7:19am On May 24, 2016
LagosNIV:

A timely retraction of previous misrepresentations is one of the criteria for allowing officers to look past them. This, of course, means that you need to be open and forthcoming about the fact that you misrepresented yourself previously and not try to conceal it - either actively by creating new lies or passively by simply choosing not to mention it.

Simple errors are just that, simple errors. Lying about them becomes a different issue.

Thanks for your prompt response.Whats the definition of "timely retraction"? during the course of the interview or prior to interview? does erroneous travel history constitute a simple error?

Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bleek147(m): 7:22am On May 24, 2016
LagosNIV:

I have been pretty clear about this so this will be the last time I address your question -
U.S. law requires that you meet in person before the K-1 petition is filed. If you file a CR-1 marriage petition, it must be submitted to USCIS for approval before they send it to us for the interview. No exceptions.

Okay sir. Thank you sir and God bless you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:02am On May 25, 2016
africraig:

Thanks for your prompt response.Whats the definition of "timely retraction"? during the course of the interview or prior to interview? does erroneous travel history constitute a simple error?

Thanks

As soon as possible. If this happened two or three interviews ago and you maintained that the false information was true, you aren't going to be able to make up for it. It's best to just come in for your interview and be up front and honest - Ultimately the VO has to make the determination.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by africraig: 5:49pm On May 29, 2016
Hello VO,

My fiance has applied for a K1 visa for me, I'm awaiting the packet of instructions from the embassy, but we were advised to fill the ds 160 now so he can send all the documents with that to me.I've had previous US "visitors" visa online applications with an email address used to create a profile. My question is should that email address still be used to fill up the online ds160 form? or can my fiance create another profile using a different email address?.

Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bobotubo: 11:17pm On May 29, 2016
Hello vo , my brother who is an American citizen recently withdrew is immigrant petition that was being filed for me. I will like to know if I can now apply for tourist visa on my own.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by menuhome5: 8:05pm On May 31, 2016
Hi VO
How long is the validity of police clearance? Someone said is a year but three months validity is written on my pc. Pls help clarify. ...thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:03am On Jun 01, 2016
africraig:
Hello VO,

My fiance has applied for a K1 visa for me, I'm awaiting the packet of instructions from the embassy, but we were advised to fill the ds 160 now so he can send all the documents with that to me.I've had previous US "visitors" visa online applications with an email address used to create a profile. My question is should that email address still be used to fill up the online ds160 form? or can my fiance create another profile using a different email address?.

Thanks.

The email address that you used to create an application shouldn't matter - just make sure you aren't changing all of your basic information (name, date of birth, etc) for some reason, because that is kept on record...
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:04am On Jun 01, 2016
bobotubo:
Hello vo , my brother who is an American citizen recently withdrew is immigrant petition that was being filed for me. I will like to know if I can now apply for tourist visa on my own.

Sure - you can apply for a tourist visa at any time. There may be some questions as to why your petition was withdrawn, of course.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jun 01, 2016
menuhome5:
Hi VO
How long is the validity of police clearance? Someone said is a year but three months validity is written on my pc. Pls help clarify. ...thanks

We know that these can sometimes be difficult to obtain so we can accept them with up to 1 year of validity. However, it is always best to wait until you are within 3 months of your appointment for the simple fact that you never know if there will be some other cause for delay.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bobotubo: 7:40pm On Jun 02, 2016
Hello vo, I will like to know if I can apply for tourist visa with a pending f4 petition immigrant case
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ejiro2006(f): 9:27pm On Jun 02, 2016
Hello CO,

What kind of birth certificate is acceptable for immigrant visa interview. I have the original birth certificate issued in 1982 by the local government, is this acceptable? What is a short form or long form birth certificate.

Thanks in anticipation of your quick response.

Regards.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (96)

Which Country In Africa Has The Most Beautiful Women? / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Need Help With Direction

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.