Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,032 members, 7,835,497 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:51 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (44) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (324423 Views)

U.S. Immigration Crackdown, ICE Arrest Over 140 Workers At A Beef Plant(Pics) / See Reason Why A US Consular Refused To Grant Visa / Ask A Pilot... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) ... (96) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 6:58am On Aug 25, 2016
9jaStar:
Hi VO,

Does the issuance and use of an IV invalidate an unexpired NIV?

Or to be more specific, can a new LPR make a quick trip outside the US and return before the physical GC arrives?

An LPR doesn't require a non-immigrant visa to travel outside of the U.S. - this is covered by your immigrant visa and green card. Just remember that as an LPR most of your time has to be spent in the U.S.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by kojokojo122: 8:01am On Aug 25, 2016
Hello VO, my family ( Father, mother and daughter) applied for B1/B2. The visa was granted at the interview stage but later received a mail for my husband to come for interview. Thereafter the visa was denied back in 2014 after the interview. Had a valid uk visa and we have a travel history as family.

We are both working and our family size has increase to four. Our travel plan is to go on family vacation every 2years and we don't spend more than 2weeks.

We intend to visit UK and Canada for 2weeks in November 2016.

We want to re-apply in March 2017 after our family vacation or should we just apply now before traveling in November ?

Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Tkayhandsome(m): 8:20am On Aug 25, 2016
Glad I met you here.
Please VO, a male friend I met on Facebook 5 years ago is willing to bring me over to the U.s. He is based in Texas and is a citizen of the U.s that is to say he is from Texas.
What are the requirements and what type of visa will I qualify for? I am sponsoring the entire trip and visa process. What would I need? Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 9:52am On Aug 25, 2016
Tkayhandsome:
Glad I met you here.
Please VO, a male friend I met on Facebook 5 years ago is willing to bring me over to the U.s. He is based in Texas and is a citizen of the U.s that is to say he is from Texas.
What are the requirements and what type of visa will I qualify for? I am sponsoring the entire trip and visa process. What would I need? Thanks

Please read through this thread in its entirety. This topic has been discussed at length, as have links to the website where more information can be found.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by 9jaStar: 12:09am On Aug 26, 2016
LagosNIV:

An LPR doesn't require a non-immigrant visa to travel outside of the U.S. - this is covered by your immigrant visa and green card. Just remember that as an LPR most of your time has to be spent in the U.S.

Thank you. So in effect, one CAN travel outside the US prior to getting the physical, plastic GC?

Understood about the most of the time part. No issues with that. Just wasn't sure if travel was possible wuntil the plastic GC actually arrives.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by elaismee: 3:03am On Aug 26, 2016
Hi. Good day. I badly need your help.

Year 2013, my mother filed me a petition (she was a greencard holder. My sister, the us citizen in our family brought my parents in the US specifically in California). It was an immigrant case. Fast forward. Year 2014, I have received an appointment letter regarding my visa interview on May 19, 2014.

On may 19, 2014, the day of my visa interview. Prior to my interview, I am cleared in my medical exam in St. Lukes. Oh. I forgot to mention that I already have a son those times, I was 20 years old that time. Gave birth when I was 17. It was too early. Anyway, I got refused of having a US visa because I haven't convinced the consul of my biological relationship with the petitioner, my mother. So the US embassy required me to have DNA testing with my parents. So my "siblings" told me that it was too expensive but in my "mind" I thought that it was almost near. That it was the only way to get a visa but why my siblings won't allow me to have DNA testing with my parents. I actually having doubts those times but I just ignored it.

Fast forward. Year 2015, I joined the work and travel program offered in our school. So the place I chose was California in order to meet my family. But I was so frustrated those times mixed with pressure because it was tge second time that I applied for a US visa. So the day of my visa interview came and as usual, I got refused the second time. It was really frustrating. I even had trauma afterwards because I thought I was a bigtime failure. After the interview, I went back to my cousin's house and cried my ass out to release the pain I'm feeling. So this cousin of mine talked to me what was the result of my visa. So I told her everything that I got denied the second time because they digged everything in my past records.

Here's our convo:

Cousin: so how was the interview.?
Me: as usual, denied.
Cousin: oh. What happened? Did they dig again your past petition?
Me: yes
Cousin: so, what will you do? If you'll really have dna testing, surely it will be NEGATIVE right?
Me: SHOCKED WITH MIXED FEELINGS TOGETHER WITH MY TEARS CAN'T STOP FROM FALLING

so that was it. All along, I didn't know that I was not their biological daughter. That they didn't legally adopt me. And they didn't tell me everything and they took enough risks in petitioning me.

So now, they told me that they will let me apply for a tourist visa because they told me that my records will be deleted in the us embassy after 5 years.

My questions:

How would I clear my name in the US embassy? I even pledge that all my statements are true? (Those times that I still didn't know I was adopted)

Will I still be able to go to California after everything?

My siblings are all going to USA, I will be left alone here in Philippines and I really want to be with my family.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 10:06am On Aug 26, 2016
9jaStar:

Thank you. So in effect, one CAN travel outside the US prior to getting the physical, plastic GC?

Understood about the most of the time part. No issues with that. Just wasn't sure if travel was possible wuntil the plastic GC actually arrives.

You can get a document/stamp from USCIS confirming your status. You will have to deal with that agency for more specifics - my job ends once someone becomes an LPR so I am not intimately familiar with anything after that point.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 10:09am On Aug 26, 2016
elaismee:
Hi. Good day. I badly need your help.

Year 2013, my mother filed me a petition (she was a greencard holder. My sister, the us citizen in our family brought my parents in the US specifically in California). It was an immigrant case. Fast forward. Year 2014, I have received an appointment letter regarding my visa interview on May 19, 2014.

On may 19, 2014, the day of my visa interview. Prior to my interview, I am cleared in my medical exam in St. Lukes. Oh. I forgot to mention that I already have a son those times, I was 20 years old that time. Gave birth when I was 17. It was too early. Anyway, I got refused of having a US visa because I haven't convinced the consul of my biological relationship with the petitioner, my mother. So the US embassy required me to have DNA testing with my parents. So my "siblings" told me that it was too expensive but in my "mind" I thought that it was almost near. That it was the only way to get a visa but why my siblings won't allow me to have DNA testing with my parents. I actually having doubts those times but I just ignored it.

Fast forward. Year 2015, I joined the work and travel program offered in our school. So the place I chose was California in order to meet my family. But I was so frustrated those times mixed with pressure because it was tge second time that I applied for a US visa. So the day of my visa interview came and as usual, I got refused the second time. It was really frustrating. I even had trauma afterwards because I thought I was a bigtime failure. After the interview, I went back to my cousin's house and cried my ass out to release the pain I'm feeling. So this cousin of mine talked to me what was the result of my visa. So I told her everything that I got denied the second time because they digged everything in my past records.

Here's our convo:

Cousin: so how was the interview.?
Me: as usual, denied.
Cousin: oh. What happened? Did they dig again your past petition?
Me: yes
Cousin: so, what will you do? If you'll really have dna testing, surely it will be NEGATIVE right?
Me: SHOCKED WITH MIXED FEELINGS TOGETHER WITH MY TEARS CAN'T STOP FROM FALLING

so that was it. All along, I didn't know that I was not their biological daughter. That they didn't legally adopt me. And they didn't tell me everything and they took enough risks in petitioning me.

So now, they told me that they will let me apply for a tourist visa because they told me that my records will be deleted in the us embassy after 5 years.

My questions:

How would I clear my name in the US embassy? I even pledge that all my statements are true? (Those times that I still didn't know I was adopted)

Will I still be able to go to California after everything?

My siblings are all going to USA, I will be left alone here in Philippines and I really want to be with my family.

In order to qualify for an immigrant visa, you need a qualifying relationship. Unfortunately, based on the information you have provided, it appears that this is not the case. Furthermore, your family knowingly petitioned for you as a biological child when this was not the case. This puts you in a bad position.

The short answer is that you do not qualify for an immigrant visa.

As far as how this affects receiving a non-immigrant visa... it is pretty clear that you have strong ties to the U.S. (the people you consider your parents and siblings) and an immigrant intent (previously filed immigrant visa petition), so it will be very difficult - but not impossible - to establish sufficient ties to overcome the presumed intention of immigration.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by con3man(f): 2:24am On Aug 27, 2016
Dear VO

I recently filled the DS 160 form for K1 visa but I noticed that the confirmation page has “online Non immigrant visa apllication” written on it.

So am thinking

Is it the normal way the confirmation page appears ?
Or
Probably I must have mistakenly clicked the non immigrant option during the filling process.

Is this an error ?
Pls what is the implication of this ?
Do I start all over a fresh application ?
Pls advice me on what to do so I should be properly guided.

Thanks in anticipation

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by packdprince(m): 3:20am On Aug 27, 2016
Good day, am a first time writer, I have tried to go through the treads page by page, and i have learnt alot.
sometimes in 2009, my mom petitioned for I and my brothers, early this year we received our confirmation awaiting Interview dates, but my cousin's mom (being my mom's younger sister) also petitioned for her children, unlike ours, the NVC requested them to do DNA, Blood samples. Dont really understand.

Please I would like to ask whether
1. Are still going to DNA
2. Since they only asked for Birth Certificate, should only provide those
3. Do we need to get calls records between the Petitioner and ourselves

Thanks Mr. VO appreciate, our answers mean alot to me
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by yominent: 9:16am On Aug 27, 2016
Hi VIO
Pls, my brother was denied 4 years ago , reason is "alien smuggling and misrepresentation" what can he do if he wants to apply wit a genuine documents now.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by kojokojo122: 9:51am On Aug 27, 2016
Dear V0,

I have two question to ask,

1. Is it possible for a mother who has a green card in the state to file for her son who is married here in Nigeria to enable him and his family migrate.

2. Can one's sibling who is married and a citizen of the state file for her siblings family in Nigeria to enable them migrate to United state.

Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 6:59am On Aug 29, 2016
con3man:
Dear VO

I recently filled the DS 160 form for K1 visa but I noticed that the confirmation page has “online Non immigrant visa apllication” written on it.

So am thinking

Is it the normal way the confirmation page appears ?
Or
Probably I must have mistakenly clicked the non immigrant option during the filling process.

Is this an error ?
Pls what is the implication of this ?
Do I start all over a fresh application ?
Pls advice me on what to do so I should be properly guided.

Thanks in anticipation

This is correct - the K-1 is in a strange category where it is technically considered a non-immigrant visa. When you show up on your interview day, make sure you go to the immigrant queue, though.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:02am On Aug 29, 2016
packdprince:
Good day, am a first time writer, I have tried to go through the treads page by page, and i have learnt alot.
sometimes in 2009, my mom petitioned for I and my brothers, early this year we received our confirmation awaiting Interview dates, but my cousin's mom (being my mom's younger sister) also petitioned for her children, unlike ours, the NVC requested them to do DNA, Blood samples. Dont really understand.

Please I would like to ask whether
1. Are still going to DNA
2. Since they only asked for Birth Certificate, should only provide those
3. Do we need to get calls records between the Petitioner and ourselves

Thanks Mr. VO appreciate, our answers mean alot to me

DNA is not asked for in every case, only if the circumstances are required to determine it as further evidence of relationship. If it is required in your case, they will ask for it. If they asked for the birth certificate, provide it.

Call records are not entirely necessary but can be used to provide further evidence of a relationship. As with everything else, having the additional information available at the time of the interview could prevent you from having to schedule subsequent interviews or submit additional documents.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:03am On Aug 29, 2016
yominent:
Hi VIO
Pls, my brother was denied 4 years ago , reason is "alien smuggling and misrepresentation" what can he do if he wants to apply wit a genuine documents now.

He needs a waiver. That being said, his previous misdeeds will weigh heavily on his current application and there are no guarantees that a waiver will be granted.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:04am On Aug 29, 2016
kojokojo122:
Dear V0,

I have two question to ask,

1. Is it possible for a mother who has a green card in the state to file for her son who is married here in Nigeria to enable him and his family migrate.

2. Can one's sibling who is married and a citizen of the state file for her siblings family in Nigeria to enable them migrate to United state.

Thank you.

No, an LPR mother cannot petition for her married child.
Siblings, however, can petition if they are citizens. This allows the petitioned individual to bring their entire family as derivatives.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by nattydrey: 2:06pm On Aug 29, 2016
Dear VO, I have been banned from the u.k for 10 years for non disclosure of information, now I want to apply for a u.s visa, please are they going to judge me based on my ban? What are my chances of getting other visas with this ban?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 2:15pm On Aug 29, 2016
nattydrey:
Dear VO, I have been banned from the u.k for 10 years for non disclosure of information, now I want to apply for a u.s visa, please are they going to judge me based on my ban? What are my chances of getting other visas with this ban?

For an immigrant visa you will need to provide police reports, and it is likely that any derogatory information that resulted in you being banned would be reflected on a police report. Without having the details, though, it's impossible to say how it would affect you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ziggy3579: 10:39am On Aug 30, 2016
Dear VO,
My elder sister is an American citizen and am 24years of age. A graduate nd working presently, my question is this:
1. Can she petition for me

2. Are there any limitation( can I work orr school) on the visa I would get if the petition is successful
3. If granted a visa does it have a validity period or is it going to be a green card. Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 11:40am On Aug 30, 2016
ziggy3579:
Dear VO,
My elder sister is an American citizen and am 24years of age. A graduate nd working presently, my question is this:
1. Can she petition for me

2. Are there any limitation( can I work orr school) on the visa I would get if the petition is successful
3. If granted a visa does it have a validity period or is it going to be a green card. Thanks

Your American citizen sister can petition for you. As with all other immigrant visas, the only restriction is that the majority of your time must be spent in the United States. It immediately converts into a green card upon entry to the United States.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by adolfdenis(m): 12:23pm On Aug 30, 2016
adolfdenis:
Hi VO. Hope all is well. I'll appreciate your help on my case. I applied for a h2b visa and it was approved. I was told to go pick up my passport in 3 business days at the dhl point. However on reaching there 3 days later, i was told my passport hadn't been sent yet from the consulate. Thus, i went online to track it. It showed 'administrative processing ' till the next day(4th business day) when it changed to "ready-Your case is open and ready for your interview, fingerprints, and required documents. If you have already had your interview, please check your status after two business days. If no interview was required, please check back in two business days for the status of your application" and the date updated to that day. The problem is now that it hasn't changed since that day and the date hasn't been updated either. Today is the 9th business day since my interview and i have no clue what is happening and my employers are expecting me by the weekend . Please I need some help here and I really appreciate. Thanks.

Hi VO, please you've not replied my question. I've sent an email to the consulate and they've acknowledged it telling me they've forwarded my case to the appropriate unit and that I should be patient while waiting for a response but since yesterday when they replied, there has still been no update and nobody has logged into my case, i feel like my case has been forgotten because of the lack of activity. I don't know what to do again. Can i go to the consulate and make an inquiry in person Please help
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 12:29pm On Aug 30, 2016
LagosNIV

Hello,

I have a question. When a F1 petition is granted and interview is successful, does the person become LPR or they become US citizen with US passport.

Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ziggy3579: 1:44pm On Aug 30, 2016
Thanks, appreciate.
LagosNIV:

Your American citizen sister can petition for you. As with all other immigrant visas, the only restriction is that the majority of your time must be spent in the United States. It immediately converts into a green card upon entry to the United States.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 2:17pm On Aug 30, 2016
adolfdenis:

Hi VO, please you've not replied my question. I've sent an email to the consulate and they've acknowledged it telling me they've forwarded my case to the appropriate unit and that I should be patient while waiting for a response but since yesterday when they replied, there has still been no update and nobody has logged into my case, i feel like my case has been forgotten because of the lack of activity. I don't know what to do again. Can i go to the consulate and make an inquiry in person Please help

This is not an immigrant visa question. Please refer your questions to the appropriate thread.
Also, we cannot comment on specific cases through Nairaland anyways.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 2:17pm On Aug 30, 2016
salsera:
LagosNIV

Hello,

I have a question. When a F1 petition is granted and interview is successful, does the person become LPR or they become US citizen with US passport.

Thanks

They will become an LPR for a period of time and are then able to naturalize and become citizens.

(1) (2) (3) ... (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) ... (96)

Need Help With Direction / Which Country In Africa Has The Most Beautiful Women? / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.