Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,011 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:59 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (80) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (323565 Views)

U.S. Immigration Crackdown, ICE Arrest Over 140 Workers At A Beef Plant(Pics) / See Reason Why A US Consular Refused To Grant Visa / Ask A Pilot... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) ... (96) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by chinwe12: 5:22pm On Aug 20, 2017
hello VO, a wonderful day to you, pls my question goes like this. we submitted all our documents to NVC but not in one package as they specified it should be and they have not yet acknowledged receipt of our documents, can we go ahead to resend the documents again in one package, or will it pose any threat to our visa journey? should I call NVC to find out if they have received the documents or should I wait for them to acknowledge receipt of the documents on their own?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:42pm On Aug 21, 2017
Worriedwife2017:
Good day VO.
I have some questions that are bothering me. My mother is a US citizen & wants to file for me & my family under the F3 visa category. The questions are as follows :
1. Will her filing for me affect renewal of short visit visas? My husband is afraid that if she files for me it will be difficult for us to renew our present b1/b2 visas.
2. Will my husband not wanting to immigrate with me affect the F3 category she wants to file for me? He does not want to immigrate because of the position he's in presently & prefers to practice in Nigeria.
3. I know that it takes awhile for the visa to become available but will my son who is presently 11 years "age out" before he gets the visa or will his age be frozen?
Thank you for taking time out to help me put my mind at rest.

Good afternoon,

Thank you to my NIV colleague for the response to Part 1 of your question. Parts 2 and 3 of your question answered below:

2) As long as you are forthcoming about your marital status, it should not be a problem that your husband does not plan to immigrate with you. If he is on the petition, he can be follow-to-join.
3) The Child Status Protection Act (CSPA) allows the time a visa petition was pending to be subtracted from the beneficiary’s biological age at the time of visa availability so that the applicant is not penalized for the time in which USCIS did not adjudicate the petition. So essentially, the time between the petition filing and the petition approval will be subtracted from the child's age at the time of visa availability.

I hope this is helpful.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:43pm On Aug 21, 2017
farastrongman:
Good day VO,

I was recently issued my immigrant visa and about to leave for the U.S.

Kindly clarify, do I need to carry along with me any other document for the border post e.g Police report? Or I should just go with the package given to me with my intl passport.

Thank you.

Good afternoon,

If you received a sealed packet with your international passport, that package and its contents should be sufficient. You may want to bring extra copies of important documents in any case. Safe travels!

Regards,
VO

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:45pm On Aug 21, 2017
chinwe12:
hello VO, a wonderful day to you, pls my question goes like this. we submitted all our documents to NVC but not in one package as they specified it should be and they have not yet acknowledged receipt of our documents, can we go ahead to resend the documents again in one package, or will it pose any threat to our visa journey? should I call NVC to find out if they have received the documents or should I wait for them to acknowledge receipt of the documents on their own?

Good afternoon,

My understanding is that NVC will contact you should they require additional documents. However, you should contact them for further questions, as the consulate is not involved in this part of the petition process.

Regards,
VO

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by fatboislim(m): 2:22pm On Aug 21, 2017
Can i be denied visa if i show proof of marriage but don't post the status of my marriage on facebook?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by leakage01: 8:44am On Aug 23, 2017
Dear VO,
kindly shed more light on this. I just received it 3days after paying for my sons visa application.

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Aos29: 11:24am On Aug 23, 2017
Good day VO,
Please could you be kind enough to discuss/clarify these issues:
- do we need to create an account online with customers service provider of US Consulate General Lagos, as indicated in one of their sites? As they say, to enable them to return your passport and other documents after your interview.

- bank tokens and phones are not allowed inside; what is bank token?

- is it necessary to frontload your documents and photos, if desired who does that, the petitioner or the principal applicant?
Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by shooboy: 6:02pm On Aug 23, 2017
Pls i have a quick question.

What is our chances of getting approved at d embassy.

My wife filled for me and we are awaiting our priority date for application for nvc. But we only gat married in d ccourt only our weddin is nxt yr.
Can visa be approved based on court marriage certificate alone
Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Ajakayekoke(m): 9:17pm On Aug 23, 2017
Good evening v.o,my girlfriend is an american citizen,im a nigerian,shes 22&im 25,she plan on getting me there,but we don't know what and how to do it,she is coming to nigeria,in two months.please help us,thanks and God bless.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by mrszez: 9:21pm On Aug 23, 2017
Hello,
In March 2017 , I applied for a US visit Visa but i was denied, I went through my visa form there's mistakes, I don't know how to go about it, My date of Birth and also my wife date of Birth is not correct, Can i apply again filling the right information, pls whats the implication if i apply again my self with corect details. Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Xhorey: 11:10pm On Aug 23, 2017
Hello VO my mum filed for myself and siblings in Jan 2010 under the f1 category.got married in 2012.last September we got a welcome letter from the NVC to proceed with our processing. Paid visa fees, filled ds260 forms & sent supporting documents.only 2 get a letter around March that myslf & my immediate younger brother were not yet eligible for visas cos our status had changed to f3.my lil brother who isn't married got an interview date & has been issued a visa.My question nw is I'm I to wait for another 5 Years before my case becomes current since they're just in 2005 in the f3 category even though I was originally filed for in the f1 category. Thanks in anticipation for you quick response.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by dreypapi: 2:14pm On Aug 25, 2017
[quote author=VisaOfficer post=54632351]

According to the most recent Visa Bulletin, your case is not yet current. F1 cases with a priority date earlier than June 1, 2010 are now current; yours is still several months away. Remember that even when your case becomes current, it can take another several weeks or months for us to receive the physical file. Until you have your interview with the Consulate, you should contact USCIS for further guidance.

For reference, the Visa Bulletin may be accessed here:
https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/law-and-policy/bulletin/2017/visa-bulletin-for-march-2017.html

Regards,

Dear VO,
Good day to you. I was later contacted via mail and I have passed through the CEAC, made necessary payment, submitted AOF and required financial evidence. The last document that has been required of me as at date is PCC, which i have submitted close to 2 months now and I have not gotten any response ever since. I will like to know the likely cause of the delay as the whole process is almost a year after i got the first mail with steps and guidelines for further proceeds. Please enlighten me.
Cheers.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by onyiblanche: 3:41pm On Aug 26, 2017
Hello Vo
, good morning. for a family whose priority date has reached but is not ready to come for the interview and have a new baby whose name was not in the original forms that were filled, what will be their next step of action in order to add the new baby to the petition.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Aos29: 3:44pm On Aug 26, 2017
Can someone please tell/clarify for those of us waiting the followings:
What is the fee for the the police certificate in Nigeria?
What is the fee or cost of the medical exam in Nigeria?

And has anyone lived in UK before and how did you got your police certificate from UK?
Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by xxseekerxx: 10:35pm On Aug 26, 2017
Dear V.O
Please is affidavit of marital relationship consent from the third party really important for i130, if yes; does it require a notary or can the individual just sign it?

Secondly, can affidavit from two third parties be sufficient?

Thirdly, can i apply for NIV (B1/B2) to visit my wife while my petition is in process?

Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Worriedwife2017: 12:55pm On Aug 27, 2017
Thank you for your prompt response but can you please clarify the bolded statement? What does it mean?
VisaOfficer:

Good afternoon,

Thank you to my NIV colleague for the response to Part 1 of your question. Parts 2 and 3 of your question answered below:

2) As long as you are forthcoming about your marital status, it should not be a problem that your husband does not plan to immigrate with you. If he is on the petition, he can be follow-to-join.
3) The Child Status Protection Act (CSPA) allows the time a visa petition was pending to be subtracted from the beneficiary’s biological age at the time of visa availability so that the applicant is not penalized for the time in which USCIS did not adjudicate the petition. So essentially, the time between the petition filing and the petition approval will be subtracted from the child's age at the time of visa availability.

I hope this is helpful.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by cute2014: 6:48pm On Aug 27, 2017
Hello dear VO,greetings and thanks for the work you are doing on here.My husband had his interview at the Lagos US Consulate a little over 9 months ago.We already submitted a waiver as requested over 7 months ago and still waiting for it to be adjudicated.Are there specific instructions about updating/informing Lagos US Embassy seeing that its almost one year that he's had his interview or there is no need to do so.

Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Emocream(f): 11:45am On Aug 28, 2017
Good a.m V.O,

Thank you for your help on here.

Please can you kindly verify if it is true that a medical facility located in Abuja Nigeria called Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) was recently approved to carry out medicals?

got the link from the state dept site https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/iv-dv-supplemental/LGS%20-%20Lagos.pdf

I contacted Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) facility in Abuja via email and they confirmed that they were recently approved may 2017, to carry out medicals for prospective USA immigrants.

My confusion now is that i sent an email to lagosIV@state.gov, to verify if indeed medicals can be done in Abuja but got an automated response with a link to Immigrant Visa Frequently Asked Questions and it directed me to page that only listed Q life clinic and the children's place and no mention of the new approved medical center in Abuja.

Thanks in anticipation of your response.

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:59pm On Aug 28, 2017
fatboislim:
Can i be denied visa if i show proof of marriage but don't post the status of my marriage on facebook?

Good afternoon,

Proof of marriage demonstrated at the time of the interview should be sufficient.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:00pm On Aug 28, 2017
leakage01:
Dear VO,
kindly shed more light on this. I just received it 3days after paying for my sons visa application.

Good afternoon,

The message indicates that you should contact the National Visa Center. The National Visa Center processes documents prior to sending petitions to post. I hope this is helpful.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:12pm On Aug 28, 2017
Aos29:
Good day VO,
Please could you be kind enough to discuss/clarify these issues:
- do we need to create an account online with customers service provider of US Consulate General Lagos, as indicated in one of their sites? As they say, to enable them to return your passport and other documents after your interview.

- bank tokens and phones are not allowed inside; what is bank token?

- is it necessary to frontload your documents and photos, if desired who does that, the petitioner or the principal applicant?
Thank you.

Good afternoon,

1. Yes, please create an account as instructed on the website.
2. I believe if you are not sure what a bank token is, you do not need to worry about bringing one in. As you say, phones are not allowed inside so plan accordingly.
3. Petitioners often include photos in their petitions, and copies of certain documents are required for the processing of petitions prior to being sent to post (e.g. civil documents like marriage certificates). However, you should always bring originals of civil documents to the interview as you will be asked to present them at the window. As for other items like photos, you are free to decide what to bring with you.

I hope this is helpful.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:14pm On Aug 28, 2017
shooboy:
Pls i have a quick question.

What is our chances of getting approved at d embassy.

My wife filled for me and we are awaiting our priority date for application for nvc. But we only gat married in d ccourt only our weddin is nxt yr.
Can visa be approved based on court marriage certificate alone
Thanks.

Good afternoon,

A valid marriage certificate from a registry should be sufficient documentary proof of marriage. However, approval or refusal is based on the totality of the petition and the evidence presented. I hope this is helpful.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:18pm On Aug 28, 2017
Ajakayekoke:
Good evening v.o,my girlfriend is an american citizen,im a nigerian,shes 22&im 25,she plan on getting me there,but we don't know what and how to do it,she is coming to nigeria,in two months.please help us,thanks and God bless.

Good afternoon,

I believe your question refers to how to file an immigrant visa petition. There is more information on the filing of petitions at uscis.gov. The U.S. Consulate only processes and adjudicates immigrant visas that have already been approved in the United States by USCIS and forwarded to the consulate. Please bear in mind that an individual can file petitions for someone with whom they claim a familial relationship (e.g. a fiance or a spouse). I hope this is helpful.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:21pm On Aug 28, 2017
Xhorey:
Hello VO my mum filed for myself and siblings in Jan 2010 under the f1 category.got married in 2012.last September we got a welcome letter from the NVC to proceed with our processing. Paid visa fees, filled ds260 forms & sent supporting documents.only 2 get a letter around March that myslf & my immediate younger brother were not yet eligible for visas cos our status had changed to f3.my lil brother who isn't married got an interview date & has been issued a visa.My question nw is I'm I to wait for another 5 Years before my case becomes current since they're just in 2005 in the f3 category even though I was originally filed for in the f1 category. Thanks in anticipation for you quick response.

Good afternoon,

Yes, if you marry between the filing of the F1 petition (unmarried son or daughter of a U.S. citizen) and the processing, your visa class is converted to an F3 (married son or daughter of a U.S. citizen).

Regards,
VO

1 Like 1 Share

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:22pm On Aug 28, 2017
[quote author=dreypapi post=59815634][/quote]

Good afternoon,

I cannot comment on the specifics of any case. Additionally, it sounds like your case is currently with the National Visa Center, not the consulate.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:32pm On Aug 28, 2017
onyiblanche:
Hello Vo
, good morning. for a family whose priority date has reached but is not ready to come for the interview and have a new baby whose name was not in the original forms that were filled, what will be their next step of action in order to add the new baby to the petition.

Good morning,

If the petition is still with the National Visa Center, you should contact them to inform them of the new baby. If the petition has been sent to the consulate, you should notify the consulate. The ability to add a child to the petition also depends on the visa class. Family preference visas can have derivatives added to petitions, while immediate relatives cannot. If the visa class is for an immediate relative (e.g. the spouse of a U.S. citizen or IR1 visa), the child cannot be added and the petitioner will need to file a separate petition for the child (IR2).

I hope this is helpful.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:39pm On Aug 28, 2017
xxseekerxx:
Dear V.O
Please is affidavit of marital relationship consent from the third party really important for i130, if yes; does it require a notary or can the individual just sign it?

Secondly, can affidavit from two third parties be sufficient?

Thirdly, can i apply for NIV (B1/B2) to visit my wife while my petition is in process?

Thank you.

Good morning,

In terms of acceptable documentation for a marital relationship, it depends on the kind of marriage you had. If you had a registry marriage, for instance, you would need to present a registry marriage certificate. For a traditional marriage, affidavits may suffice, but you should be prepared to show other evidence of the marriage (e.g. photos).

You may apply for a non-immigrant visa while waiting for your petition. Bear in mind that the adjudicating officer will make the decision on your qualifications for the visa based on whether or not you overcome INA Section 214(b) (the presumption of immigrant intent).
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:45pm On Aug 28, 2017
Worriedwife2017:
Thank you for your prompt response but can you please clarify the bolded statement? What does it mean?

Good afternoon,

Follow-to-join refers to derivative spouses or children on petitions who may join the principal applicant at a later date rather than traveling to the U.S. with them. No derivative spouse or child may travel prior to the principal applicant - they may either travel with them or "follow" them later on.

I hope this is helpful.

Regards,
VO

(1) (2) (3) ... (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) ... (96)

Need Help With Direction / Which Country In Africa Has The Most Beautiful Women? / General German Work And Family Re-union Visa Enquiries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.