Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,789 members, 7,820,769 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:12 PM

Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram (9394 Views)

Can We Fast In Month Of Rajab (awe Arugbo) / Advice From Imam Al-ridha (as) For The Month Of Muharram / The Importance Of Fasting Tasu’a & Ashura (9th & 10th Muharram) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by abat4real37(f): 10:52am On Oct 22, 2015
Why do we fast on 9th and 10th Muharram or why did Prophet ﷺ commanded us to do so ?

Ibn'Abbas (Allah be pleased with both of them) reported that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) arrived in Medina and found the Jews observing fast on the day of 'Ashura. The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said to them:

What is the (significance) of this day that you observe fast on it? They said: It is the day of great (significance) when Allah delivered Moses and his people, and drowned the Pharaoh and his people, and Moses observed fast out of gratitude and we also observe it. Upon this the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: We have more right, and we have a closer connection with Moses than you have; so Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) observed fast (on the day of 'Ashura), and gave orders that it should be observed.

Sahih Muslim Book 6,Hadith 2520

http://sunnah.com/muslim/13/164

Hazrat Ibn Abbas (Radiyallahu 'anh) relates that when the Holy Prophet (Sallallahu ‘alayhi wa Sallam) said: "If I survive till next year, I will definitely observe fast on the 9th of Muharram (as well)."
[Sahih Muslim]

(Note: What the Holy Prophet (Sallallahu ‘alayhi wa Sallam) meant was that he would also fast on the 9th as well as the 10th to which he was accustomed. We also should try fasting on the 9th and the 10th of Muharram.)

I

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by AlBaqir(m): 9:48am On Oct 23, 2015
A closer look at the ahadith on Ashura
There are various ahadith to back the claim that prophet fasted on Ashura but the following two narration summarized the gist of the remaining ahadith :

1. Narrated Ayesha:

'Ashura' was a day on which the tribe of Quraish used to fast in the pre-lslamic period of ignorance (Jahiliyyah) and the messenger of Allah also used to fast on this day. So when he migrated to Madina, he fasted on it and ordered (the Muslims) to fast on it. When the fasting of Ramadan was enjoined, it became optional for the people to fast or not to fast on the day of Ashura.”

{ Ref: Sahih Muslim, chapter: Fasting on the Day of Ashura. Book 6 Hadith2499; Book13 Hadith 143}

2. Narrated Ibn Abbas:

The holy prophet entered Madina and saw the Jews fasting on the day of Ashura. He asked them: "What is the significance of this day on which you fast?" They replied, "This is a good day, the day on which God rescued the children of Israel from their enemy. So, Moses fasted this day." He (saw) then said, "We have more claim over Moses than you." He then fasted on that day and ordered Muslims too.”

{Ref: Sahih al-Bukhari, vol. 3 Book 31, Hadith 222; Sahih Muslim- chapter: Fasting on the Day of Ashura, Book 13 Hadith 164, Book 6 Hadith2520}

In a similar version, the following is added:

"Some of the companions exclaimed 'O Messenger of God! It is a day which the Jews and the Christian hold in high esteem. Thereupon the messenger of God said: 'When the next year comes, God willing, we would observe fast on the 9th‟. But the messenger of God died before the advent of the year.

{Ref: Sahih Muslim, chapter: Fasting on the Day of Ashura, Book 13 Hadith 172 & 173; Book 6 Hadith 2528 &2529}.

CROSS EXAMINATION & SKEPTICISM

1. It is obvious from the first hadith narrated by Aisha that the practice of fasting on Ashura precede Islam; and being a Qurayshite, Muhammad (saws) used to observe and fast on that day even before being ordained as a prophet of God.

The second hadith narrated by Ibn Abbas is in sharp contradiction of the first hadith in the fact that the prophet is completely naive of the fasting on Ashura day alongside its significance. He only needs to rely on the Jewish verdict to fast and make his rulings.

* Even if the practice of Fasting on the Day of Ashura ever exist, the advent of Islam and its practices prevails over such.

The first hadith indicated, as Ramadhan was established, fasting of Ashura became of less importance where there is option to abandon.

"It is He who has sent His Apostle with guidance and the Religion of truth, that he may proclaim it over all deen (ways of life, practice, religion)..." ~Sura Saff : 9; Sura Fatih:28

2. In the second hadith, it is not conceivable that ' the messenger of God died before the advent of the (following) year (after migration to Medina) ' thereby could not fast the 9th day (tasua) of Muharram as he had reported to have legislated. Why?

* It is an established fact that the holy prophet died on the 28th Safar, 11th year of Hijrah (i.e 10 years after migration to Medina) and never the following year (2nd /3rd H) after migration which the narration portrayed. And worst still, if it is agreed that he died on the 11th year of Hijrah, it is therefore not tenable to say he did not lived to see the 9th day (tasua) of the following year since there would be about 9-10years long between his time of Migration to Medina (1Hijra) when it is alleged that he met the Jews, and his time of death (11th Hijra).

* And if it is assumed that the hadith meant the Prophet saw the Jews fasting a year before he died (i.e 9/10 H), then why does it took the prophet so long to discover the Jewish community of Madina used to fast every Ashura (10th day) of Muharram? Incidentally Prophet had a long history with the Jewish community of Madina.

Besides which Jewish clan remain in Madinah in 9th Hijrah? NONE history says. The last Jewish clan were obliterated in Khaybar in the 6th Hijrah.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by AlBaqir(m): 9:54am On Oct 23, 2015
WHAT THE QUR'AN SAYS?

Does it make any sense to assume the holy prophet will ever legislate or recommend a practice based on the purported verdict of the Jew?

Allah introduced him (saw) as a teacher who "...instruct them in Scripture and wisdom..." {Sura Jumu'a : 2; Al-Imran :164}

“Never will the Jews and the Christians be satisfied with thee (Muhammad) unless you follow their form of religion. Say (O Muhammad) „The guidance of God, that is the (only) Guidance.‟ Were you to follow their desires after the knowledge which has reached you, then you will neither find protector or helper against God” {Sura al-Baqarah: 120}

* Prophet's Legislation Is Only Through Inspiration And Revelation:

"(1)By the star when it goes down (2)Your companion (i.e Muhammad) is neither astray nor being mislead (3)Nor does he say (aught) of (his own) desire. (4)It is no less than inspiration sent down to him. (5)He was taught by Almighty in Power" {Sura Najm}

These various examinations make the content (matn) of these hadith (about Ashura fasting) highly suspected and inconsistent with Historical fact, intellectual digestion and Quranic principles which is the only infallible principles other reports should be judge with.

Ashura, 10th of Muharram - A day of Tragedy! A day of Sorrow

Sheik Nasirudeen al-Albaani records a sahih (authentic) hadith (narration) of the holy prophet in his ‘Silsilah Al-hadith Al-Sahiyah’, vol. 2 pg 462 hadith 821:

"Jubril came to me and informed me that my Ummah (nation or community) will kill my son, Hussain. I asked: ‘This Hussain?’ He (Jubril) replied: ‘Yes’ he then brought me some soil (tur’ba) that was red.”

Narrated by Umm al-Fadhal bint al-Harith that she went to the Holy prophet (s) and said: ‘O prophet, I have seen an unclear dream tonight.’ He (s) asked: What is it? She replied: ‘I saw that as if a part of your body was cut off from you and was placed upon my chest.’ He (s) said: ‘You have seen something good. In sha Allah, Fatimah will bear a baby boy and he will be upon your chest.’ So Fatima gave birth to Hussain and he was on my chest as the prophet had notified me. On one day I went to the Holy prophet and put Hussain on his chest then he turned his face to the side and I witnessed his eyes flowing with tears. I asked: “Prophet of Allah (s), may my parents be sacrified for you, what is wrong?” He then mentioned it (the above hadith – “Jubril came to me and informed me...”).”

Similar authentic narrations of the same genre can be found in: “Fadhail Sahaba” by Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal, vol.2 pg. 965 Hadith1357; “Musnad Abi Ya’la”, vol. 6 pg.129 Hadith 3402; Imam al-Haythami in his ‘al-Majma zawaid, vol.9

It is worth noting that:

1. Imam al-Husayn عليه السلام is referred to as the son of the Prophet صلى الله عليه و آله just like Quran refer to him and his elder brother Imam al-Hassan, عليه السلام as sons of the Prophet {sura al-Imran: 61}.

2. Therefore, those who killed Imam al-Husayn killed the son of Prophet Muhammad, صلى الله عليه و آله

3. The Ummah as a whole is accused of the murder of Imam al-Husayn. In particular, all of those Muslims alive at the time of the Karbala tragedy.

4. The Prophet wept for Imam al-Husayn even before the incident happened.

5. Interestingly, the land of Karbala is referred to as the turbah of Imam al-Husayn (تربته). This is a huge virtue for that blessed land.

Reward for weeping for Prophet's Ahl al-bayt

In the book Fadail as-Sahabah of Imam Ahmad b. Hanbal, vol. 2, p. 675, # 1154, there is this sahih Sunni hadith:

Narrated al-Rabi' b. Munzir:

Husayn b. 'Ali used to say: "Anyone whose eyes are filled with tears for our sake, or tears drop from his eyes for our sake, Allah the Almighty, the Most Glorious will reward him with the Paradise."

Link: http://islamport.com/w/ajz/Web/2294/1170.htm

The report has an absolutely sahih sanad.

2 Likes

Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by AlBaqir(m): 10:00am On Oct 23, 2015
In Summary, There are Three views on Ashura:

1. Prophet fast and enjoyed the Muslims to do so because he saw and followed the Jews fasting, hadiths claim. How is this kind of hadith stand to reasoning when:
# {Allah warn the prophet never to follow the Jews and christian in their practices."} [Quran 2:120], {Allah testify that His prophet only follow and act on inspiration from His Lord}[sura Najm:1-5}

2. It is a day of joy, blessing and celebration because Allah blessed all of His Prophets on that day.

# {There is No basic evidence for this claim; and how was Muhammad, the leader of all Prophets, was blessed on that day if at all the claim was genuine?!}

3. It is a very sad day because the prophet's son, Hussein, and 73 of his household and loyalists were massacred on the plain of Karbala in the 61A.H, by the same followers who claimed to follow the Prophet.

# {Prophet weep profusely for this day before it even materialized, several hadith reported}

The choice is yours!!!

WA Salam alaykum.

2 Likes

Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by Dottore: 11:22am On Oct 23, 2015
I mistakenly came here and got this on my profile can someone tell me how to get rid of it.

"I believe that there is no god/God but Allah and Muhammad is His Prophet."
Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by Nobody: 11:23am On Oct 23, 2015
@ops, Jakallahu Khairan... May Allah be please with us all( Amin sunma Amin).

3 Likes

Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by 8kingz(m): 11:23am On Oct 23, 2015
jazakumullah kairan for d remembrance, may Allah b with u

1 Like

Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by Ahmadabd(m): 11:28am On Oct 23, 2015
A
Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by hammed007(m): 11:28am On Oct 23, 2015
Thanks jazakullahu Khaeran. Jumah Mbarak to us all
Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by tunshe: 11:32am On Oct 23, 2015
AlBaqir, the confusionist !!!

Why do you have to pollute another person's thread?

Thanks abat4real37 for sharing.

4 Likes

Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by Yinkasuccess(m): 11:33am On Oct 23, 2015
Alhamdulilahi may Almighty Allah reward u abundantly for d enlightenment @Op
Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by Tongsman(m): 11:35am On Oct 23, 2015
Jazaka Allahu khayran
Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by Amee1(m): 11:36am On Oct 23, 2015
Jazakalhair.May Allah accept our Ibadat. amen.
Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by Bimpe29: 11:37am On Oct 23, 2015
May Allah give us the ability to do so, and accept same from us as an act of worship ameen.

1 Like

Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by efilefun(m): 11:47am On Oct 23, 2015
May Allah accept our efforts as an act of ibadah

3 Likes

Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by DucalDuxvine(m): 12:23pm On Oct 23, 2015
Masha–Allah
Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by lmm4real: 12:26pm On Oct 23, 2015
Dottore:
I mistakenly came here and got this on my profile can someone tell me how to get rid of it.

"I believe that there is no god/God but Allah and Muhammad is His Prophet."

Boss I think it is a prompt you accepted in other to have access to the trend. I really don't know how u can remove it, but I will suggest you look carefully through ur profile there must be a way to remove it.

@ op thanks for the info.
Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by kazmanbanjoko(m): 12:31pm On Oct 23, 2015
Ok
Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by Nafizzey(m): 12:44pm On Oct 23, 2015
AlBaqir:

WHAT THE QUR'AN SAYS?

Does it make any sense to assume the holy prophet will ever legislate or recommend a practice based on the purported verdict of the Jew?

Allah introduced him (saw) as a teacher who "...instruct them in Scripture and wisdom..." {Sura Jumu'a : 2; Al-Imran :164}

“Never will the Jews and the Christians be satisfied with thee (Muhammad) unless you follow their form of religion. Say (O Muhammad) „The guidance of God, that is the (only) Guidance.‟ Were you to follow their desires after the knowledge which has reached you, then you will neither find protector or helper against God” {Sura al-Baqarah: 120}

* Prophet's Legislation Is Only Through Inspiration And Revelation:

"(1)By the star when it goes down (2)Your companion (i.e Muhammad) is neither astray nor being mislead (3)Nor does he say (aught) of (his own) desire. (4)It is no less than inspiration sent down to him. (5)He was taught by Almighty in Power" {Sura Najm}

These various examinations make the content (matn) of these hadith (about Ashura fasting) highly suspected and inconsistent with Historical fact, intellectual digestion and Quranic principles which is the only infallible principles other reports should be judge with.

Ashura, 10th of Muharram - A day of Tragedy! A day of Sorrow

Sheik Nasirudeen al-Albaani records a sahih (authentic) hadith (narration) of the holy prophet in his ‘Silsilah Al-hadith Al-Sahiyah’, vol. 2 pg 462 hadith 821:

"Jubril came to me and informed me that my Ummah (nation or community) will kill my son, Hussain. I asked: ‘This Hussain?’ He (Jubril) replied: ‘Yes’ he then brought me some soil (tur’ba) that was red.”

Narrated by Umm al-Fadhal bint al-Harith that she went to the Holy prophet (s) and said: ‘O prophet, I have seen an unclear dream tonight.’ He (s) asked: What is it? She replied: ‘I saw that as if a part of your body was cut off from you and was placed upon my chest.’ He (s) said: ‘You have seen something good. In sha Allah, Fatimah will bear a baby boy and he will be upon your chest.’ So Fatima gave birth to Hussain and he was on my chest as the prophet had notified me. On one day I went to the Holy prophet and put Hussain on his chest then he turned his face to the side and I witnessed his eyes flowing with tears. I asked: “Prophet of Allah (s), may my parents be sacrified for you, what is wrong?” He then mentioned it (the above hadith – “Jubril came to me and informed me...”).”

Similar authentic narrations of the same genre can be found in: “Fadhail Sahaba” by Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal, vol.2 pg. 965 Hadith1357; “Musnad Abi Ya’la”, vol. 6 pg.129 Hadith 3402; Imam al-Haythami in his ‘al-Majma zawaid, vol.9

It is worth noting that:

1. Imam al-Husayn عليه السلام is referred to as the son of the Prophet صلى الله عليه و آله just like Quran refer to him and his elder brother Imam al-Hassan, عليه السلام as sons of the Prophet {sura al-Imran: 61}.

2. Therefore, those who killed Imam al-Husayn killed the son of Prophet Muhammad, صلى الله عليه و آله

3. The Ummah as a whole is accused of the murder of Imam al-Husayn. In particular, all of those Muslims alive at the time of the Karbala tragedy.

4. The Prophet wept for Imam al-Husayn even before the incident happened.

5. Interestingly, the land of Karbala is referred to as the turbah of Imam al-Husayn (تربته). This is a huge virtue for that blessed land.

Reward for weeping for Prophet's Ahl al-bayt

In the book Fadail as-Sahabah of Imam Ahmad b. Hanbal, vol. 2, p. 675, # 1154, there is this sahih Sunni hadith:

Narrated al-Rabi' b. Munzir:

Husayn b. 'Ali used to say: "Anyone whose eyes are filled with tears for our sake, or tears drop from his eyes for our sake, Allah the Almighty, the Most Glorious will reward him with the Paradise."

Link: http://islamport.com/w/ajz/Web/2294/1170.htm

The report has an absolutely sahih sanad.
Thank you. please what day is the 9th and 10th of muharram in English calendar?
Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by onizsure: 12:54pm On Oct 23, 2015
Jazaakhumllah bikhair
Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by Nobody: 12:56pm On Oct 23, 2015
masha Allah! I almost missed this fast smiley
Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by AlBaqir(m): 1:33pm On Oct 23, 2015
tunshe:
AlBaqir, the confusionist !!!

Why do you have to pollute another person's thread?

grin funny man! Even Allah talks about al-Quran and says: "... He causes many to err by it and many He leads aright by it! but He does not cause to err by it (any) except the transgressors".

So what's your confusion concerning what you tagged "pollution"?! It seems you've forgotten many ayah of the Quran one of which says: "Do they not ponder on the Quran?!", "...We have revealed the Quran...to clarify ALL things".
Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by addeolla: 1:36pm On Oct 23, 2015
ALBAQIR IS A SHIA, WE DONT NEED HIS ASSERTIONS

2 Likes

Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by AlBaqir(m): 1:44pm On Oct 23, 2015
addeolla:
ALBAQIR IS A SHIA, WE DONT NEED HIS
ASSERTIONS

People aren't fools. Ordinary ranting won't stop Albaqir's "shi"ism" assertions. You will save the world (and even Albaqir) if you can counter all those rebuttals posted by Albaqir.

"...He causes many to err by it and many He leads aright by it! but He does not cause to err by it (any) except the fasiqin"
Fanaticism starts when you close your senses to the "truth".
Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by Akiika: 2:57pm On Oct 23, 2015
Here we go again this year on this Ashura issue. AlBaqir has done nothing wrong in posting Shi'a's position of this, which makes logical sense by the way. Let's learn to express our divergent opinion respectfully. These are all subjective according to our beliefs. I still don't consider myself a Sunni or Shi'a, but i am a Muslim, that is what the holy prophet bequeathed us. I have maintained that we would be deceiving ourselves if we deny that a lot of culture and politics have mixed with our religion over years. Wa Allahu a'alam. We should strive to do the very foundation of our faith....Belief and trust in the one Allah, do our solat regularly, give alms, fast, Hajj if we can afford it. Most importantly, be kind and fair to other.

6 Likes

Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by HAkorehdeh(m): 8:48pm On Oct 23, 2015
Akiika:
Here we go again this year on this Ashura issue. AlBaqir has done nothing wrong in posting Shi'a's position of this, which makes logical sense by the way. Let's learn to express our divergent opinion respectfully. These are all subjective according to our beliefs. I still don't consider myself a Sunni or Shi'a, but i am a Muslim, that is what the holy prophet bequeathed us. I have maintained that we would be deceiving ourselves if we deny that a lot of culture and politics have mixed with our religion over years. Wa Allahu a'alam. We should strive to do the very foundation of our faith....Belief and trust in the one Allah, do our solat regularly, give alms, fast, Hajj if we can afford it. Most importantly, be kind and fair to other.
Just the truth Wallahi! JazaakaAllahu khayra bro.
Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by sino(m): 7:18am On Oct 24, 2015
Jazakumullahu khayran OP for reminding us the sunnah of our beloved Prophet (SAW) on ashura.

It is worthy to mention that we fast with the intention to obey and emulate the Prophet (SAW). There is no iota of doubt that fasting on the day of ashurah is sunnah, it is not a fabrication, or a lie, authentic reports have shown that He (SAW) fasted, so it is recommended we fast. I believe this should suffice the skeptics…

Furthermore, there is no authentic narration that the Prophet (SAW) fasted on this day because of the death of Husein (ra) (who died much later after the death of the Prophet (SAW)) nor was it a practice of the Prophet (SAW) to fast as a result of the death/martyrdom of anyone. There had been martyrs before Husein (ra), even from the ahl-l-bayt, their days of death did not become days of mourning and grief, the Prophet (SAW) did not teach us so, nor did his companions and righteous predecessors…One would have thought the day the Prophet (SAW) died should have been set aside by the companions or the ahl-l-bayt as the day of mourning and grief, but NO, they didn’t, because it is not part of ISLAM

Our religion is complete, the idea of taking this day(ashura) as a continuous day of mourning and grief or a day of eid (joy and festivities) is alien, a bid’ah(innovation in the religion) that every true Muslim should avoid.

May Allah save us from innovation and the innovators in the deen ameen.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can A Person Be Possessed By The Jinn When He Is Keeping Up With Adhkaar? / Ruling On Swearing By The Prophet (peace Be Upon Him) / A Journey Through The Quran.... The Amazing Quran Season 2...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.