Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,089 members, 7,818,273 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:35 AM

Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram (9392 Views)

Can We Fast In Month Of Rajab (awe Arugbo) / Advice From Imam Al-ridha (as) For The Month Of Muharram / The Importance Of Fasting Tasu’a & Ashura (9th & 10th Muharram) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by AlBaqir(m): 7:51am On Oct 24, 2015
^@sino, you claim to follow the Sunnah but you are not ready to follow the Prophet in weeping for Hussein (alaih Salam)?! There are many ahadith to this effect. One of them has been posted already. Amazingly Prophet cried even before the death of Hussein.

You claim you follow the Sunnah, yet the very legacy the Nabi left {Thaqalain: Quran and his progeny} while he warned the Ummah {"I remind you, by Allah, of my Ahlulbayt"} is being undermine to forget.

You claim to love and (also) follow the Ahlulbayt, yet Hussein want you to weep for him and guarantee paradise to that effect; here you are threading the path of Yazid by calling it innovation.

What kind of a Sunnah is following the Jews in their practice?! Bring all your ahadith about Ashura fasting, that of Ibn Abbas will always contradict it and throw them into thrash-bin.

I have a message for you, Sino. An-Nabiyy, salallahu alaih WA a'alih, says {"Husseini min'ni wa Ana min al-Hussein: Hussein is from me and I am from Hussein} [Hadith sahih].

If you love Muhammad, its automatic you must love Hussein. Sheik Muhammad bin Yahya al-Ninowy have this message for you:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10207940198206950&id=1356933376&_rdr
Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by AlBaqir(m): 8:51am On Oct 24, 2015
Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by sino(m): 8:18pm On Oct 26, 2015
AlBaqir:
^@sino, you claim to follow the Sunnah but you are not ready to follow the Prophet in weeping for Hussein (alaih Salam)?! There are many ahadith to this effect. One of them has been posted already. Amazingly Prophet cried even before the death of Hussein.

You claim you follow the Sunnah, yet the very legacy the Nabi left {Thaqalain: Quran and his progeny} while he warned the Ummah {"I remind you, by Allah, of my Ahlulbayt"} is being undermine to forget.

You claim to love and (also) follow the Ahlulbayt, yet Hussein want you to weep for him and guarantee paradise to that effect; here you are threading the path of Yazid by calling it innovation.

What kind of a Sunnah is following the Jews in their practice?! Bring all your ahadith about Ashura fasting, that of Ibn Abbas will always contradict it and throw them into thrash-bin.

I have a message for you, Sino. An-Nabiyy, salallahu alaih WA a'alih, says {"Husseini min'ni wa Ana min al-Hussein: Hussein is from me and I am from Hussein} [Hadith sahih].

If you love Muhammad, its automatic you must love Hussein. Sheik Muhammad bin Yahya al-Ninowy have this message for you:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10207940198206950&id=1356933376&_rdr

*Modified*

Indeed weeping is part of the sunnah of the Prophet (SAW), the Prophet (SAW) wept in numerous occasions, example of which can be found in the following ahadith:

On the authority of 'Abdullah ibn Mas'ood (RA) who said: "The Messenger of Allaah (salallahu alayhi wa sallam) told me:
"Recite to me!"
So I recited Surahan-Nisa' until I reached: "How will it be then, when We bring from each nation a witness, and bring you (0 Prophet Muhammad) as a witness against these people?" (Q4:41) Then I looked towards him and behold! I saw that his eyes were overflowing with tears" (al Bukhari, Muslim and others)

On the authority of 'Ali (RA) who said: "We did not have a horseman with us on the day of Badr except aI-Miqdad. Everyone amongst us was sleeping except for the Messenger of Allaah (salallahu alayhi wa sallam) who was under a tree. praying and weeping until the morning." (Ibn Khuzayman in hisSahih.)

On the authority of al-Bara ibn 'Azib (RA) who said: "While we were with the Messenger of Allaah (salallahu alayhi wa sallam)he suddenly looked towards a group (of people) and said:
"For what reason have they gathered here?"
It was said, "In order to dig a grave". So the Messengerof Allaah (salallahu alayhi wa sallam) became alarmed and startled and he quickly went ahead of the companions until he reached the grave. then he knelt upon it and I turned my face towards him in order to. see what he was doing. He cried until the earth became wet with his tears. then he turned to us and said. "0 my brothers! Prepare for a day like this"" (al Bukhar? in at-Tarikh, Ibn Majah, Ahmad and others, hasan)

On the authority of 'Abdullaah ibn ash-Shikh-kheer (RA) who said: "I saw the Messenger of Allaah (salallahu alayhi wa sallam) praying with us, and I heard the sound of his weeping coming out of his chest, which was like the sound of a boiling pot". (Abu Dawud)
Perhaps you need to reread my post to understand what I meant by bid’ah in commemorating every 10th of Muharam as a day of sorrow and grief…Fasting is what the Prophet (SAW) enjoined on us on this day, and was practiced by the companions and the righteous predecessors, they didn’t commemorate any sorrow or grief on this day! Prove me wrong!

Again, the Prophet(SAW) during his life time, lost his son Ibrahim (ra), the Prophet (SAW) did not practice what the shias are practicing now, nor did his companions, even though it is on record that He (SAW) wept…why are you shias not commemorating this sad day for the Prophet (SAW)?

Anas bin Malik (RA) narrated: 'We went with Allaah's Messenger (salallaahu alayhi wa sallam) to the blacksmith Abu Saif, and he was the husband of the wet-nurse of Ibrahim (the son of the Prophet [salallahu alayhi wa sallam)).
Allaah'sMessenger(salallahu alayhi wa sallam) took Ibrahim and kissed him and smelled him and later we entered Abu Saifs house and at that time Ibrahim was in his last breaths. and the eyes of Allaah'sMessenger(salalahu alayhi wa sallam) started shedding tears.
'Abdur Rahmanbin 'Auf (RA) said:
"0 Allaah's Messenger. even you are weeping!" He said, "0 Ibn 'Auf, this is mercy." Then he wept more and said. "The eyes are shedding tears and the heart is grieved. and we will not say except what pleases our Lord. 0 Ibrahim! Indeed we are grieved by your separation." (Bukhari)

We learnt in the sirah of the Prophet (SAW) about the death of his wife Khadijah (ra), the year she died was named the year of huzn (sorrow/sadness), yet you AlBaqir do not shout to the high heavens about commemorating this day, have you even thought about her at all? What about the first martyrs? Or the martyrdom of Ali (ra)? When are you guys going to commemorate them? What about the death of Muslims, being martyred everyday all over the world, when do you weep for them? When do you choose to commemorate their deaths? Are you saying they are not part of the Ahl-l-bayt? But even the Prophet (SAW) wept for this Ummah, he wept for his companions, he wept for the love of Allah (SWT), when are you going to inform us about all the times the Prophet (SAW) wept?

I believe my other post on the ghazzal thread should be a good response to your allegations, even the Imams agree that the Prophet (SAW) fasted on the 10th of Muharam, so what is your problem?! You still cannot prove that this fasting is as a result of Husein’s death (ra).

I have no hatred for Husein (ra), how can I? That I am telling the truth about the fast on ashurah being a sunnah, and making ashurah a day of sorrow and grief annually a bid’ah does not mean I hate him, rather it establishes my love for him (ra), for he himself uphold the sunnah of his grandfather (SAW) till his death as I also uphold the sunnah by fasting on the 10th of Muharam.

1 Like

Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by AlBaqir(m): 9:58am On Oct 27, 2015
^@Sino, first let me start by correcting you. Year of huzn (sorrow) was the year Bibi Khadijah and Hazrt Abu Talib died, not Hazrat Hamza. Both (Bibi Khadijah and Hazrat Abu Talib) died 2 or 3 years before Hijrah in Makkah while Hazrat Hamza died in the battle of Uhud, about 3 years after Hijrah. I consider that as a mistake unless the enemies of Abu Talib who deemed him to be Kafir want to rewrite history.

Second, you are absolutely right that Nabi Muhammad [salaallahu alaih WA a'alih] cried on various occasion as you've highlighted above. Its very unfortunate that you failed to add his cries and grieving for Imam al-Hussein to the list. What makes that of Hussein more striking is the fact that Prophet continue to cry even before the death of Hussein. Jubril not only informed the prophet but also gave him the soil (tur'bat Hussein) al-Hussein will died on. And Jubril also informed that it is the Ummah that will commit that despicable act. That makes it more painful.

If you know well about the Shi'a, you will realize that we have a yearly calendar in which ALL the martyrs of Islam are being commemorated. We used to commemorate their death as well as their birth and we send Salam to them on these days as Allah did on those two days [day of birth and day of death] to His prophets, Nabi E'esa and Nabi Yahya {surah Maryam}. It is you, the wahabi/salafi-oriented that actually see no importance in remembering the dead. Check our books of Du'a, you will see their respective Ziyarat. So your argument is empty saying we do not remember all these martyrs except al-Hussein (alaih Salam).

Now put on your thinking cap brother and analyze the following and tell me if Hussein's death is not more unique:

1. Each and every individual you mentioned {Bibi Khadijah, Hazrat Hamza, Imam 'Ali, Hazrat Ibrahim Ibn Muhammad, et al} died individually. Imam al-Hussein died along with 40+ of Banu Hashim, the household of the Prophet and their friends and loyalist. It was a massacre. 72 against 4000+

2. Here you are not ashamed. The fact that the holy Prophet (salawatullah wa salamu alaih WA ahlibayti) strongly warned the Ummah saying: {"O mankind! I have left among over you two weighty things...the book of Allah and my offspring, my Ahl al-bayt...I remind you by Allah, of my Ahlulbayt! I remind you by Allah, of my Ahlulbayt!! I remind you, by Allah, of my Ahlulbayt!!!"

3. Each and every individual you talk about died either naturally or killed by Mushrikun or Khawarij. Hussein together with family of your Prophet were massacred by the very Ummah his grandfather laboured to liberate for 23years. They were denied water and food for days before being massacred. This made it more painful but you have no shame at all comparing this with martyrdom of Bibi Khadijah, Imam Ali, etc.

4. Yazeed ibn Mu'awiyah, your 7th Khalifah, that despicable individual whom you deemed to be successor of the holy Prophet was responsible for the massacre of the family of the Prophet. Today, you either formulate to exonerate Yazeed or shamefully use the accolades "RadiAllahu anhu" or "Rahimahullah" for that beast. Interestingly most of these murderers are celebrated being narrators of your sahih ahadith.
This make the awareness of the death of al-Hussein more pronounced.

5. At the time of 'Ali (alaih Salam), Sunnah of the holy Prophet is not yet being hit as Ali tried his best to revive amidst the civil war launched by your heroes against their Rightly guided Khalif. Mu'awiyah and his cursed son destroyed the Sunnah of the Prophet. They introduced oppression, injustice, sinful acts etc. Hussein rose up to liberate the Ummah and he was killed in the process. This alone awaken the dead heart of the Ummah. After his death, you read various uprising against the Yazidi. The uprising of Tawwabun (the repenters) led by a Sahabi of the Prophet. The Uprising of Mukhtar etc.

6. Haven't you came across the fact that Jabir Ibn Abdullah al-Ansari, a prominent Sahabi, along with Imam Ali ibn Hussein Zaynul Abideen started the mourning of Hussein by treking (in solidarity) to Karbala for Hussein Ziyarat?

7. Do you even read Musnad Ahmad ibn Hanbal and his Fadail Sahabah?! What about Musand Abu Ya'la or Mustadrak ala al-sahihain of al-Hakim?! Oh you only bury yourself into Minhaj Sunnah of Ibn Taymiyyah. Those books mentioned at great length various dreams of Umm Salamah (RA) where she constantly seeing her blessed husband (in her dreams) wailing for Hussein.

8. The aftermath of Karbala was that the rest of the family of Muhammad (salallahu alaih WA a'alih) among whom were women and children were taken captive, chained, beating, and forced to walk a great distance from Karbala to Kufa in Ubaydullah Ibn Ziyad's court.

Sino, I have this Sahih hadith to tell you: The illuminated Prophet said {حسين مني وان من الحسين } {Hussein is from me and I am from Hussein}. I can only hope your thinking cap will interpret the bolded part of the sahih hadith. Killing Hussein is killing Muhammad.

You have no shame brother when you said you also love Imam Hussein and the Ahl al-bayt. What a love?! A sahih hadith is quoted where Hussein wants you to cry and guarantee Jannah but the hidden nawasib in you give you audacity to even belittle the martyrdom of Hussein (alaih Salam). If Shi'a practices are what is given you headache therefore losing your humanity for Hussein, the headache will continue in sha Allah.

Please don't you ever joke with me with Ahlulbayt Rasul. I await your responds and in sha Allah I will be here for your pathetic quotes and reply. I don't disrespect but when it comes to Muhammad and Ahli Muhammad, don't near me please. Your brothers continue to bomb the Shia on their way to Karbala, yet we are waxing stronger by the leave of Allah. I shall be also upon every comment of yours to belittle Ahl al-bayt and their sacrifice.

Lastly, the challenge is upon you concerning your Jewish practice of Ashura fasting. Kindly prove my challenges wrong. Shia do not fast on the day of Ashura due to the fact your creed presented.

May Allah's curse, and the angels and that of the Jinns and men, be upon the killers of Hussein.
Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by sino(m): 8:33pm On Oct 27, 2015
Jazakumullahu khayran for the correction AlBaqir.

Look, no matter the epistles you write, it doesn’t change the fact that fasting on the 10th of Muharam is an established sunnah, which every true Muslim should acknowledge and propagate. You still cannot prove the Prophet (SAW) fasted because of Husein (ra), so also, you cannot prove from any tradition of the Proiphet (SAW) that he used to commemorate the dead (martyred) or practice what you shias practice today.

Do you expect me to also repeat that the Prophet (SAW) wept for Husein (ra) when you have already mentioned it? I only presented other scenarios where the Prophet (SAW) wept, buttressing it as a sunnah, which is not peculiar to Husein’s death (ra).

Secondly, no doubt, the tragedy of Karbala is painful, so is the tragedy of the martyrdom of the khulafaah before him namely Umar (ra), Uthman (ra) and Ali (ra) and other tragedies that befell the Ummah in the course of history of Islam.

Yes the Prophet (SAW) saw a vision about Husein (ra) and wept, this cannot justify the innovation you people practice. The vision was not said to be shown to him on the 10th of Muharam, nor did the Prophet (SAW) mention anything in regards to Husein (ra) and the 10th of Muharam, nor was it reported that the Prophet (SAW) wept every 10th of Muharam. So what are you on about with the narrations you keep quoting on this thread?! If you wish to open a thread on the virtues of Husein (ra), then do so, don’t just forget about Hasan(ra) too, at least the chapter from Imam Ahmad’s book you quoting from did not separate them…also have you read the virtues of Umar (ra), Abu Bakr (ra) and Uthman (ra) from the same book? DO YOU ACCEPT THE NARRATIONS AS TRUE AND AUTHENTIC?!

A martyr is a martyr no matter how it occurred, or from whose hands it occurred from or through, making distinctions about martyrdom is your own opinion, the Prophet (SAW)did not differentiate martyrdom in regards to who killed who, be they killed by the mushrikun or “Muslims”. The Qur’an and the Prophet (SAW) thought us how to act in cases of tragedy, and nothing like commemoration was ever practiced by the Rasul (SAW)… If you have proof, I’m more than willing to start my commemoration from 1438.

Allah (SWT) says:
"And We will surely test you with something of fear and hunger and a loss of wealth and lives and fruits, but give good tidings to the patient, Who, when disaster strikes them, say, "Indeed we belong to Allah , and indeed to Him we will return."
Those are the ones upon whom are blessings from their Lord and mercy. And it is those who are the [rightly] guided.
(Qur’an 2:155-157)

I hope you get my drift; Allah (SWT) gave us the best of example in the Prophet (SAW), if He didn’t practice commemoration of the death of Husein (ra) on Ashurah, why do you want to force it on us? Do you know more than the Prophet (SAW)?

Again, this thread is about why we fast on 9th and 10th of Muharam (not about Hussein's martyrdom(ra) ), authentic ahadith were presented, but due to your agenda, you rush to undermine this sunnah which can also be found in your shia books, then you claim to love the ahl-l-bayt, when you seek to undermine the legacy of the Leader of Ahl-l-bayt (SAW)?! Weeping does not prove you love them, have you not heard of crocodile tears? #justsaying

AlBaqir:
Umm Salamah (RA) where she constantly seeing her blessed husband (in her dreams) wailing for Hussein.

And point of correction, the Prophet (SAW) can never wail, wailing is never part of his sunnah.

Narrated Abdullah bin Umar: 'Sad bin 'Ubada (RA) became sick and the Prophet (salallahu alayhi wa sallam) along with 'Abdur Rahman bin 'Auf, Sad bin Abi Waqqas and 'Abdullah bin Mas'udvisited him to inquire about his health. When he came to him. he found him surrounded by his household and he asked."Has he died?"They said. "No. 0 Allaah's Messenger."
The Prophet (salallahu alayhi wa sallam) wept and when the people saw the weeping' of Allaah's Messenger (salallahua/ayhi wa sallam) they all wept. He said. "Will you listen? Allaah does not punish for shedding tears. nor for the grief of the heart but he punishes or bestows His Mercy because of this. "
He pointed to his tongue and added,
"The deceased is punished for the wailing of his relatives over him." '

To other vituperations of yours, they do not worth my response, anyone can claim anything, you can cast aspersions as you wish, the fact still remains that, the fast of Ashurah is a Sunnah, and this is why we also fast, emulating the Prophet (SAW).

2 Likes

Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by sino(m): 8:39pm On Oct 27, 2015
And to your accusation of copying the Jews with the fast, this is quite lame, the reason for the jew fast is stated in the hadith, and fortunately, we also found the same reason in your books, i.e the day Allah (SWT) liberated Moses (as) and his people amongst others. It is either your books are lying as well as the Imams, or the narrations were fabricated by the Ummayads (they must have been very intelligent and smart), or Taqqiyah, or you just don’t know jack about the hadith, you only follow conjectures and prejudiced opinions…that which supports your agenda to undermine the sunnah found recorded in the books of the ahlu sunnah.

The following should put an end to your self induced skepticism, if what I have written so far had not been enough…

By Shaykh Abul Hasan Ali Nadwi

The fast of 'Ashura was prescribed before the fasts of Ramadan. The Jews observed it and so did the people of Arabia before the dawn of Islam.

It is related by Imam Bukhari on the authority of Ibn-i-Abbas that when the Prophet (Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam) came to Madinah he found that the Jews observed the fast of 'Ashura. He enquired about it from them and was told that it was the day on which God had delivered the Children of Israel from the enemy and Moses used to keep a fast on it as an expression of gratitude to the Almighty. The Prophet (Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam) thereupon, remarked that 'Moses has a greater claim upon me than upon you,' and he fasted on that day and instructed his followers to do the same.

It is also mentioned in Muslim that it is a most important day. On this day God had delivered Moses and his followers and drowned Pharaoh and his men. Moses fasted on it in thanksgiving. Imam Bukhari adds that it is related by Abu Bishr: "We also keep fast as a token of respect to Moses."

But the celebrated mathematician Abu Rehan Beruni challenged the veracity of these reports on the basis of a comparative study of the Jewish and Arabian Calendars. He writes: "It is said that 'Ashur is a Hebrew word which has become 'Ashura in Arabic. It stands for the tenth day of the Jewish month of Tisri. The fast observed on this day is called Yom Kippur. It came to be incorporated in the Arab Calendar and the name was given to the tenth day of the first month of their year in the same way in which it denoted the tenth day of the first month of the Jewish Calendar. It was instituted as a day of fasting among the Muslims in the first year of Migration. Later, when fasting was enjoined in the month of Ramadan it was dropped. A Tradition has it that when the Prophet came to Madinah and saw that the Jews observed the fast of 'Ashura he enquired about it and was told that it was the day on which God had drowned Pharaoh and his people and delivered Moses and his followers from them, and Moses used to fast on it in thanksgiving. The Prophet, then, remarked that Moses had a greater claim upon him than upon them and he fasted on that day and instructed his followers to do the same. When the fasts of Ramadan were prescribed, the Prophet neither enjoined the fast of 'Ashura nor forbade it.

But this report is fallacious and does not stand the test of enquiry. The first day of the month of Muharram in the first year of Hijrah (Migration) was Friday, which corresponds to the 16th of Tamuz, 933 (A.E.). As against it, the first day of that year among the Jews was Sunday, the 12th of Awwal which corresponds to the 29th of Safar. Hence, the fast of Ashura should have fallen on Tuesday, the 9th of Rabi-ul-Awwal, while the Migration had taken place during the first half of that month. The two dates, at any rate, do not correspond to each other."

He adds: "The contention that on this day God had drowned the Pharaoh, too, is not supported by what is given in the Torah. The event of the drowning of the Pharaoh had taken place, according to Torah, on the 21st of Nisan, which is the seventh day of the festival of Passover. The first Jewish fast of Passover, after the arrival of the Prophet in Madinah, occurred on Tuesday, the 22nd of Azhar 933 which corresponds to the 17th of Ramadan. This report also is, therefore, without a foundation."

With due respect to the scholarship of Beruni, it is clear that he has built his thesis wholly on conjecture. He has, for instance, surmised that the talk reported by Ibn-i-Abbas and other Companions had taken place on the very first day of the Prophet's arrival in Madinah as is evident from his observation, "when the sacred Prophet came to Madinah or entered it."

[b]This misconception is due to the ignorance of the science of Traditions and of the holy Companion's mode of narration, innumerable instances of which are available in the Traditions. For example, it is related by Anas bin Malik: "When the Prophet came to Madinah and (saw that) there were two days which the people of that place celebrated as festivals he enquired about their significance. (The people of Madinah) told, 'These were our days of fun and entertainment during the days of Paganism.' The Prophet, thereupon, observed, 'God has given you two better days in their place, 'Id-ul-Fitr and 'Id-ul-Adha'."

Now, will it be proper for anyone to infer from the above Tradition that the arrival of the Prophet in Madinah took place on the same day that was the day of celebration in that town, and to proceed to question the veracity of the Tradition on the ground that it was not chronometrically possible? Similar errors of interpretation have been made in respect of other traditions as well, like the one relating to pollination in date palms.
[/b]
Commenting on the argument advanced by Beruni, Allama Ibn-i-Hajr Asqallani says,

"He found it difficult to accept the tradition due to the misunderstanding that when the Prophet arrived in Madinah he saw the Jews in the state of keeping the fast of 'Ashura while, in fact, it was in the month of Rabi-ul-Awwal that the Prophet had come to Madinah. The answer to it is that he has erred in the interpretation of the tradition. What the tradition actually means is that the Prophet came to know of the fast of 'Ashura only when he had migrated to Madinah and made his enquiry, for the first time, after he had reached there. In other words, the Prophet, when he came to Madinah and stayed there till 'Ashura, found that the Jews fasted on that day."

There is left no chronological contradiction after Allama Asqallani's explanation, in the Tradition regarding the fast of 'Ashura.
Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by Empiree: 8:42pm On Oct 27, 2015
Dottore:
I mistakenly came here and got this on my profile can someone tell me how to get rid of it.

"I believe that there is no god/God but Allah and Muhammad is His Prophet."

Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by sino(m): 8:51pm On Oct 27, 2015

The second misconception under which Beruni labors is that the fast of 'Ashura mentioned in the Tradition signifies the tenth day of the Jewish month of Tisri which is also known as Yom Kippur or the Fast of Atonement and is observed by them with greater ceremony than any other fast. But there is nothing in the tradition to warrant such a conclusion, and it is also not supported by the Torah because the Fast of Atonement was instituted in expiation of a mortal sin and observed as a day of penance and mourning.

The Day of Atonement, which is the tenth day of the seventh month of Tisri, is referred to in these words in the Third Book of Moses called, Leviticus:

"And this will be a statute for ever unto you; that in the seventh month, on the tenth day of the month, ye shall afflict your souls, and do no work at all, whether it be one of your own country, or a stranger who sojourneth among you: for on that day shall the priest make an atonement for you, to cleanse you, that ye may be clean from all your sins before the Lord. It shall be a sabbath of rest unto you, and ye shall afflict your souls, by a statute forever" (Lev. 16:29-31)

At another place, in the same Book, it is said: "And the Lord spoke unto Moses, saying, also on the tenth day of this seventh month there shall be a day of atonement: it shall be a holy convocation unto you; and ye shall afflict your souls, and offer an offering made by fire unto the Lord. And ye shall do no work in that same day; for it is a day of atonement to make an atonement for you before the Lord your God." (Lev. 23:26-28)

Similarly, in the Book of Numbers, it is set forth: "And ye shall have on the tenth day of this seventh month a holy convocation; and ye shall afflict your souls; ye shall not do any work therein."

On the other hand, it explicitly occurs in the traditions that the day of 'Ashura (on which the Muslims are enjoined to fast) was a day of rejoicing among the Jews. As Imam Bukhari has related it on the authority of Abu Musa Ashari, the Jews regarded it to be a day of Eid and it was on seeing it that the holy Prophet advised his Companions also to keep fast on it.

In Saheeh Muslim, also, it is related from Qais bin Muslim that men of good-doing observed the fast of Ashura and celebrated it as the day of Eid, with their women wearing the best of clothes and ornaments. The Prophet, on seeing it, said to us, "You should also fast on this day."

It is, further, related by Koraib bin S'ad from Omar bin el-Khattab that, "On the Day of Judgment God will ask you only about two fasts, the fasts of Ramadan and the fast of the day of adornment (i.e., 'Ashura)."

In the light of the facts given above, it will be incorrect to say that 'Ashura is the Day of Atonement. Were it so, it would have been a day of lamentation and mortification while 'Ashura, as mentioned in the tradition, is a day of merriment and decoration.

The same fallacy is shared by a number of Western scholars as well. As for instance, Abraham Katish observes about the Day of Attonement in his book entitled, 'Judaism in Islam,' that "Mohammad, in the beginning, instituted it as a day of fasting for Muslims."

The assertion of the Jews themselves about 'Ashura that it was the day on which God had delivered the Israelites from their enemies is enough to set at rest all doubts in this connection. In the Torah it has been repeatedly mentioned as Abib which later came to be known as Nisan. About Abib, we read in Dairatul M'aarif, "it is a Hebraic word which means 'green'. It is the name of the first month of the Hebraic year. This name was given to it by Moses and it corresponds nearly to the month of April. When the Jews were exiled in Babylon they changed its name to Nisan, meaning 'the month of flowers.' Their 'Id-ul-Fateer (Passover) is also held in the middle of it."

Beruni, also, has admitted that it is wrong to suppose that the Day of Atonement signified the day on which God had drowned Pharaoh and his men. He says, "Their contention that on this day God had drowned Pharaoh is opposed to what is stated in the Torah because the event of drowning took place on the 21st of Nisan, which is the seventh day of Ayam-ul-Fateer (Passover). It is set forth in Torah (Ex. 12: 18): 'In the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month at even, ye shall eat unleavened bread, until the one and twentieth day of the month at even'."

We, therefore, conclude that 'Ashura, which is mentioned in the traditions related by Ibn-i-Abbas and others and on which day the Muslims have been exhorted to fast and was included among the near-obligatory duties in Islam before the fasts of Ramadan were prescribed, corresponds, in the largest measure, to the day which falls in the middle of the Hebraic month of Abib, whose name was changed to Nisan by the Jews during the period of their exile in Babylon and was celebrated by them as an 'Id and an event of fasting and entertainment. It was on this day that the Israelites had come out of Egypt and the Pharaoh was drowned.[b] In the second Book of Moses it is related: "And Moses said unto the people, Remember this day in which ye came out from Egypt, out of the house of bondage; for by strength of hand the Lord brought you out from this place; there shall no leavened bread be eaten. This day came ye out in the month of Abib."[/b] (Ex. 13: 3-4)

In sum, the general consensus among Muslim theologians and religious scholars is that 'Ashura fell on the tenth day of the Arab month of Muharram in the second year of Migration and that it was later annulled by Ramadan.

Besides, any attempt to make the Lunar Arabian Calendar correspond to the Solar Jewish Calendar can, at the best, be only hypothetical. The ancient custom of Nasi has also taken a hand in adding to the confusion. This practice was quite common in Arabia, both before and after the advent of Islam, till it was prohibited by the Qur'anic injunction which reads: Postponement of a month is only an excess of disbelief, whereby those who disbelieve are misled. (ix: 37)

On the occasion of the Farewell Hajj, the holy Prophet had declared, "Time has returned to the original state that obtained when the heavens and the earth were created". These words were of Divine Inspiration for the Arab arrangement of time into days, weeks, months and years had been changed so frequently that it could not be relied upon nor restored to its original form through mathematical calculation. It is, therefore, incorrect to question the authenticity of successive Traditions merely on the basis of an erratic and inconstant Calendar.

It is also possible that the Jews of Madinah were different from the other Jewish communities where the fast of 'Ashura was concerned and observed it with greater enthusiasm and regularity, and, in this respect, they were similar to the Arabs who, seeing that so many important events had taken place on that day, fasted on it out of reverence.

It is related by Hazrat-at Ayesha , "the Quraish fasted on the day of 'Ashura during the period of Ignorance and the sacred Prophet also kept it." (Muslim). Further, the fast days among the Jews living in different countries differed from one another. We have seen how in the Jewish Encyclopedia it is indicated that apart from the fixed fast-days many fasts of a local or national character had become established among the Jews from the early days, which varied from place to place. Private fasts were also common among the Jews and one could take it upon oneself to fast on certain days in memory of certain events or at the time of adversity to arouse God's mercy. In these circumstances, it is quite possible that the fast of 'Ashura, on the tenth day of the first month of the Arab Calendar, was peculiar to the Jews living in Arabia alone. Perhaps, it is for this reason that the Talmud and the Jewish Calendar are silent on this score. Some historians have treated it as identical to the Fast of Atonement which all the Jews, wherever they be, consider obligatory. Thus, those who subscribe to this view are inclined to doubt the veracity of the afore-mentioned traditions. But their judgment is influenced by the ignorance of the habits and practices of the Jews living in various parts of the world, specially in Arabia where they had been settled for generations as a distinct community, possessing their own beliefs and customs and receiving local impressions in the historical course of things.
Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by AlBaqir(m): 11:17pm On Oct 27, 2015
@Sino, you are something else with your copy-pasting. All the encyclopedia epistles you pasted is for what?! You have not even tackle a single question out of many that I have asked concerning your Jewish practice. Kindly go back from the beginning and read my argument again. Try to remove your spectacle. I have nothing to do with Beirun's argument vs whatever scholar respond to it. I did not bring forth any whatsocalled Beiruni's theory. You must be dreaming of that for long.

# To even expose your copy-paste technique without proper digestion: The scholar you quoted emphasised that ahadith are referring to Prophet's migration to Madina (obviously in the first Hijrah). If the Prophet arrived Madina in Rabiul Awwal and he noticed the Jew fasting in Muharram, thats 9-10 months of his Arrival. So its still a period within the 1st year of his arrival. Part of the questions I challenged people like you was "Why did the narrator of the hadith concluded by saying Prophet DIED the following year thereby could not fast the Tasua (9th day) he intended to fast to distinguish from the Jew?" After all he spent 10 years in Madinah after the migration in 1year Hijrah.

# Adding further, Abdullah ibn Abbas (radiAllahu anhum), the said narrator of the hadith, was how old in the 1 A.H? He was born 2- 3 years before Hijrah (migration to Madina) making him around 3 years in 1Hijrah. A child that just left suckling, Is he credible to report what happened in 1A.H in line with your ilm hadith?

Other narrators of the hadith which signify Prophet's arrival at Madinah and his converse with the Jews, are as follows:

Abu Musa, he came from the tribe of Banu Ash’ar in Yemen. He became Muslim before the Hijra, but he was not seen in Medina till the battle of Khaybar in the seventh year after Hijra. The Prophet had sent him to Yemen to preach to his tribe. Hence, Abu Musa was not in Medina in the first year of Hijra, so how could he possibly narrate this hadith?

Abu Huraira, he also was not seen in Medina until after the battle of Khaybar in the seventh year of Hijra. He became Muslim in the 7-8 year Hijri.

Muawiya, the son of Abu Sufyan, he became Muslim in the 8/9th year of Hijra when or after Makkah was conquered, so how could he narrate a hadith from the Prophet seven or eight years before he became Muslim?

Some of the hadeeth go back to Ibn Zubayr. Abdullah ibn Zubair was born in 2nd year of Hijrah approximately the very year the Prophet was assumed to have met the Jews.

# Going further, your scholar agreed there is an hadith (apparently from Aisha who was non-existent during the Jahiliyah period if we are to go by the purported age of 6 Bukhari gave her) which clearly indicated that Ashura fasting has been a practice kept by the Quraish long in the time of Jahiliyah, that even Prophet used to fast it. If Ramadhan was established after his migration to Madinah, obviously, he keeps on with his forefathers observation of the fasting of Ashura, why would he need to be totally NAIVE of the Jewish observation of the fasting of Ashura?! Was there a difference of intention regarding the fast [Jew vs Quraysh]? There is all indications from Aisha's hadith that Prophet fasted Ashura while he was in Makkah for 13 years of his mission! Apparently his followers (in Makkah) will did along with their Prophet. Why introducing to them again in the hadith of Ibn Abbas?

# Were the Jews of Makkah different from that of Madinah in observing Ashura? Or Muharram in Madinah is different from Muharram in Makkah?

You have bag logs of questions you ran away from at the very beginning of this excellent thread. Now you are adding fuel to fire.

Lastly if you observe very well, my posts have basis. 1. To expose the falsity of your ahadith on the so-called Ashura fasting of the Jew. 2. To present to the world the massacre of the family of the Prophet that incidentally happened on the 10th of Muharram. These are the two foundation of all my posts. I have nothing to do with merits of Umar, Mu'awiyah or what have you that you keep repeating.
Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by AlBaqir(m): 8:38am On Oct 28, 2015
Intercalation of Arab and Jewish calendar
Just to dispel your myth, Shia scholar doesn't qoute Beruni's theory to prove the fallacy of your Jewish-based Ashura fasting while it is safe to say that the scholar you quoted pick quote Biruni without letting us see Biruni's whole argument. A reference to Beruni's work [title of his book] will be appreciated, to study his real argument.

Anyway here's Sayed Akhtar Saeed Rizvi, a Shi'i scholar:
First: The Jews had their own calendar and months. There is no logic in saying that they fasted on the 10th of Muharram - unless it could be proved that this date always coincided with a Jewish day of fast.

It was mentioned in my article, “Martyrdom of Imam Husayn and the Muslim and the Jewish Calendars” (Al-Serat, Vol. VI, No's 3 & 4; Muharram 1401 Nov. 1980) that the first month of the Jews (Abib, later named Nisan) coincided with Rajab of the Arabs. W.O.E. Oesterley and Theodore H. Robinson have written that in Arabia “the most important of all the new-moon festivals was that which fell in the month of Rajab (sic), equivalent to the Hebrew month 'Abib, for this was the time when the ancient Arabs celebrated the Spring festival.” (Hebrew Religion; S.P.C.K., London; 1955; p.128)

Probably, in ancient times the two branches of Abraham's house followed the same system of intercalating an additional month 7 times in a cycle of 19 years. And in this way the 7th Jewish month, Tishri I, coincided with Muharram.

And the 'Ashura of Muharram synchronized with 10th of Tishri I, the Jewish Day of Atonement - a day of fast. In that article, it was observed that the two calendars lost their synchronization when Islam, in the 9th year of hijra, disallowed intercalation.

But on deeper consideration it transpired that that parity was lost long before the advent of Islam, because the Arabs did not follow any mathematical calculation in their intercalation. That was why the Muharram of the 2nd year of Hijra began on 5th July, 623 C.E. (Al-Munjid, 21st ed.), months before Tishri I (which always coincides with September-October).

Clearly, 'Ashura of Muharram in that year (or, for that matter, during the Prophet's whole life at Medina) had no significance whatsoever for the Jews.

The question is: Why did they fast on that day?

Second: The Jewish Midrashic literature relates the 10th day of the 7th month (Yom Hakippurim - Day of Atonement) to the event of bringing the tablets of the Covenant from Mount Sinai, as Dr. Mishael Maswari-Caspi has written in his letter, quoted in my previous article, mentioned above.

The question is: If the Jews had wanted to keep the long-lost synchronization of Tishri I and Muharram in view, how was it that they forgot to narrate this tradition to the Prophet?

Third: The month in which God delivered the Israelites from Pharaoh was Abib (i.e. Rajab), as the Bible clearly says: “Observe the month of Abib, and keep the passover unto the Lord thy God: for in the month of Abib the Lord thy God brought thee forth out of Egypt by night.” (Deut., 16:1)

The question is: How could the Jews transfer an event of Abib (originally coinciding with Rajab) to Muharram, in open defiance of their Torah?
Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by sino(m): 9:46am On Oct 28, 2015
You amuse me, what has copy and paste got to do with my submissions? Did I not reference the author? I guess you were too tired to digest it; perhaps you should give it a second (or more) reading if you wish…I know the truth hurts, Ashurah fast has nothing to do with the innovations of the shia, you guys are good with inventing new religious practices in the deen and we all know the Prophet (SAW) warned against this.

I ask, what is still confusing you? All the points you have raised has been obliterated, the fact that you do not have proper understanding of ahadith and the science of hadith is not a basis for you to pontificate on the veracity of this sunaah (ahadith), you say you don’t care about Beruni’s hypothesis, but it is quite similar to your skepticisms you have raised. If you want me to summarize my “copy and paste” for you, you may politely ask…

An example of your lack of understanding of the ahadith is this…

Your quote:

AlBaqir:
In a similar version, the following is added:

"Some of the companions exclaimed 'O Messenger of God! It is a day which the Jews and the Christian hold in high esteem. Thereupon the messenger of God said: 'When the next year comes, God willing, we would observe fast on the 9th‟. But the messenger of God died before the advent of the year.

{Ref: Sahih Muslim, chapter: Fasting on the Day of Ashura, Book 13 Hadith 172 & 173; Book 6 Hadith 2528 &2529}.

Firstly, there are other narrations about the fast of Ashurah, scholars of hadith have done beautiful work in explaining these ahadith, and with common sense, one would understand the following:

1. The prophet (SAW) fasted on Ahurah before the enquiry from the Jews,

2. Scholars of hadith had said that the enquiry of the Prophet (SAW) from the Jews was not what prompted fasting of the Prophet (SAW) on Ashurah, the prophet (SAW) had commanded people to fast Ashura, until Ramadhan was made compulsory which made Ashura fast voluntary (there are narrations in respect to this).

3. That the Prophet (SAW) enquired from the Jews the significance of what they do, does not in any way diminish his status, the Prophet (SAW) and the Jews had conversations, whereby they ask questions from the Prophet (SAW), and he answered and vice versa, also it can be said that such question from the Prophet (SAW) was to confirm the authenticity of the significance of Ashurah, since he (SAW) fasted this day prior to Medinah, and also to teach us the significance of the Ashurah day.

4. Based on what can be found in Sahih Muslim, the way you portray the hadith in which I quoted you above looks fishy. The hadith where Ibn Abbas talked about the significance according to the enquiry from the Jews is quite different from that of when the Prophet (SAW) was asked by the companions about the Jews taking the day also as significant…see below:

Ibn `Abbās (raḍī Allāhu anhu) said: When the Messenger of Allāh (ṣallallāhu ‘alayhi wa sallam) came to Madīnah, he found the Jews fasting on the day of `Āshūra. He asked: ‘What is this [that you are doing]?’ They replied: ‘This is a righteous day. On this day Allāh saved the Israelites from their enemies, and so Moses, on this day, observed a fast.’ The Messenger of Allāh (ṣallallāhu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: ‘I have a greater right on Moses (alayhis salām) than you.’ So, he observed the fast (on that day) and ordered the Muslims to also fast.’ [Agreed Upon].

Ibn `Abbās (raḍī Allāhu anhumā) narrated that when the Messenger of Allāh (ṣallallāhu ‘alayhi wa sallam) fasted on the day of `Āshūra and commanded that it be observed as a fast, they (his Companions) said to him: “Messenger of Allāh (ṣallallāhu ‘alayhi wa sallam), it is a day which the Jews and Christians hold in high esteem.” Thereupon the Messenger of Allāh (ṣallallāhu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: “When the next year comes, Allāh willing, we will observe fast on the ninth.” The Messenger of Allāh (ṣallallāhu ‘alayhi wa sallam) died before the advent of the next year. [Muslim, Aḥmad, Abū Dāwūd and Ibn Mājah]

We can clearly see that this hadith are different, and not in contradiction as you want us to believe. The above has destroyed your argument about your skepticism, the second hadith put it at the year the Prophet (SAW) died, and the first is about when the Prophet (SAW) enquired about the practice of the Jews which Sheikh An-Nadwi had obliterated the wrong interpretation of entering Medinah to mean the first day/year of Hijrah….

5. You also made references to following pre-Islamic practices; I ask You AlBaqir, did the Quraish not also perform Hajj before the advent of Islam?! So should we abandon Hajj too?! What about when the Prophet and the Muslims faced Jerusalem during prayers?! Were they copying the Jews too?! Common sense brother! The day of Ashurah is a significant day; it is reported by Ibn Abbas again:

Ibn `Abbās (raḍī Allāhu anhumā) narrated: “I do not know the Messenger of Allāh (ṣallallāhu ‘alayhi wa sallam) singling out any days for fasting, and considering it more excellent than another, except for this day [the day of `Āshūra] and that month – meaning the month of Ramaḍān.” [Agreed Upon]

Again, the fast of Ashurah is a sunnah of the prophet (SAW), authentic narrations are there for all to read, even in the shia books, fasting is clearly established, it was never established to copy the Jews, nor was it because of the death of Prophet’s (SAW) grandson Husein (ra).

Lastly, I would rather believe in and accept authentic narrations of the Prophet (SAW) than accept AlBaqir’s skepticism and “intellectual” analysis.

And Allah Knows Best!
Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by AlBaqir(m): 12:11pm On Oct 28, 2015
sino:

Firstly, there are other narrations about the fast of Ashurah, scholars of hadith have done beautiful work in explaining these ahadith, and with common sense, one would understand the following:

1. The prophet (SAW) fasted on Ahurah before the enquiry from the Jews,

Ma sha Allah! Aisha had reported so. Meaning that the Prophet KNEW AND VERY MUCH AWARE OF THE FAST OF ASHURA AND OBSERVED IT RELIGIOUSLY. Agreed?!

sino:

2. Scholars of hadith had said that the enquiry of the Prophet (SAW) from the Jews was not what prompted fasting of the Prophet (SAW) on Ashurah, the prophet (SAW) had commanded people to fast Ashura, until Ramadhan was made compulsory which made Ashura fast voluntary (there are narrations in respect to this).

Contrary to the baloney opinions of your scholars, here is how hadith portray the scenerio:

"...He (the Prophet) asked them (the Jews): "What is the significance of this day on which you fast?" Does this statement ever portray awareness of this day (Ashura) let alone the fast? Don't your scholars agreed he's being observing that fast for ages before he even attain prophethood?

The hadith continue after the Jews gave their theories and prophet agreed, ONLY THEN the hadith says: "He (the Prophet) then fasted on that day and ORDERED the Muslims too"

This is a completely new set of order. And a huge blow to the fact that prophet (and apparently the muslims- Muhajirun) had been observing the fast of Ashura for years (at least 13years of his stay as a Prophet in Makkah).

sino:

3. That the Prophet (SAW) enquired from the Jews the significance of what they do, does not in any way diminish his status, the Prophet (SAW) and the Jews had conversations, whereby they ask questions from the Prophet (SAW), and he answered and vice versa, also it can be said that such question from the Prophet (SAW) was to confirm the authenticity of the significance of Ashurah, since he (SAW) fasted this day prior to Medinah, and also to teach us the significance of the Ashurah day.

OH it is! Quran says:

"It is He (Allah) who has sent His Apostle with guidance and the Religion of truth, that he may proclaim it over all deen (ways of life, practice, religion)..." surah Saff:9; surah Tawbah:28.

Quran continues:

Never will the Jews and the Christians be satisfied with thee (Muhammad) unless you follow their form of religion. Say (O Muhammad) 'The guidance of Allah, that is the (ONLY) guidance.' Were you to follow their desires after knowledge which has reached you, then you will neither find protector or helper against Allah" {surah al-Baqarah:120}.

Yet the hadith narrators even quoted that one companion exclaimed: "O Messenger of Allah! IT is a day which the christians and the Jews hold in high esteem." Are you alleging the Prophet will rule against the order of the Quran?!

Sino, this is a plain Quran. And it is the Furqan that destroy your myth and blind followership of whatever you see in the book of hadith. Sometimes I don't blame the likes of Username that ran away from your so-called ahadith.

Nabi Musa (alaihim Salam) is the most talked about Prophet in the entire Quran. Interestingly, Allah mentioned the very encounter he had with Pharaoh and how Allah saved him and Israelites from paraoah's fitnah. Quran never stops there, it also give aftermath of the scenerio. Even if Quran keep silent on fasting of Ashura (which is allegedly link to Musa), rather than asking the Jews and legislate based on their verdict, Muhammad (sala'Allahu alaih WA a'ahli) will be informed by His Lord through Jubril (as).

Allah says:

"By the star when it goes down

Your companion (Muhammad) is neither astray nor being misled

Nor does he say (aught) of (his own) desire.

It is no less than inspiration sent down to him

He was taught by Almighty in Power" {surah Najm}.

sino:

4. Based on what can be found in Sahih Muslim, the way you portray the hadith in which I quoted you above looks fishy. The hadith where Ibn Abbas talked about the significance according to the enquiry from the Jews is quite different from that of when the Prophet (SAW) was asked by the companions about the Jews taking the day also as significant…see below:

Ibn `Abbās (raḍī Allāhu anhu) said: When the Messenger of Allāh (ṣallallāhu ‘alayhi wa sallam) came to Madīnah, he found the Jews fasting on the day of `Āshūra. He asked: ‘What is this [that you are doing]?’ They replied: ‘This is a righteous day. On this day Allāh saved the Israelites from their enemies, and so Moses, on this day, observed a fast.’ The Messenger of Allāh (ṣallallāhu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: ‘I have a greater right on Moses (alayhis salām) than you.’ So, he observed the fast (on that day) and ordered the Muslims to also fast.’ [Agreed Upon].

Ibn `Abbās (raḍī Allāhu anhumā) narrated that when the Messenger of Allāh (ṣallallāhu ‘alayhi wa sallam) fasted on the day of `Āshūra and commanded that it be observed as a fast, they (his Companions) said to him: “Messenger of Allāh (ṣallallāhu ‘alayhi wa sallam), it is a day which the Jews and Christians hold in high esteem.” Thereupon the Messenger of Allāh (ṣallallāhu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: “When the next year comes, Allāh willing, we will observe fast on the ninth.” The Messenger of Allāh (ṣallallāhu ‘alayhi wa sallam) died before the advent of the next year. [Muslim, Aḥmad, Abū Dāwūd and Ibn Mājah]

[s]We can clearly see that this hadith are different, and not in contradiction as you want us to believe. The above has destroyed your argument about your skepticism[/u]

sino:

the second hadith put it at the year the Prophet (SAW) died, and the first is about when the Prophet (SAW) enquired about the practice of the Jews which Sheikh An-Nadwi had obliterated the wrong interpretation of entering Medinah to mean the first day/year of Hijrah….

The same narrator, Ibn Abbas! The same command to the Muslim to fast@underline (above). Yet you open your 'mouth' trying to dupe people the two ahadith are different:that One happened in 1st year Hijri, the other in the 9th year Hijrah.

Hasn't Aisha (and others) reported the following: "...So, when he migrated to Madina, he fasted on it and ordered (the Muslims) to fast on it When the fasting of Ramadhan was enjoined, it became optional for the people to fast or not to fast on the day of Ashura."

You see your fallacy, Mr Sino? How will Prophet ordered fasting of Ashura in 9th Hijri, after Allah has legislated Ramadhan to nullify previous obligatory fasting? Besides, that hadith goes further to say Prophet planned to fast "tasua" (9th day of Muharram) the following year [to be different from Jewish and Christian form of fasting on 10th Only] but died before the advent of that year. So are you insinuating the Prophet continue following the practice of the Jew and Christians for 9years before realizing there is a need to be different from them? That is a disobedience to the verse 120 of Surah Baqarah where Allah says NEVER should the Prophet followed the Ahlul Kitab.

Mr man don't deceive your intelligent for the price of defending your k-legged creed. The hadith of Ibn Abbas (ra) is the same thing in different sigha (version). Obviously none of your Shuyukh has ever reason shallowly the way you have reasoned.

sino:

5. You also made references to following pre-Islamic practices; I ask You AlBaqir, did the Quraish not also perform Hajj before the advent of Islam?! So should we abandon Hajj too?! What about when the Prophet and the Muslims faced Jerusalem during prayers?! Were they copying the Jews too?! Common sense brother!

Its like the blood-rush of defending your hadith by all means do not allow you to digest my argument well. According to your history, the Quraish were pagan idol-worshippers. So observation of Ashura by the Quraish was based upon what intention? Obviously not Musa's safety from Pharaoh because if it was, the Prophet (who is alleged to have been observing this fast since that time) will not displayed naivety to the Jewish theory. And you will add salt to your injury if you claim he's fasting is in accordance with the practice of the Jew/Christian of Makkah.

Again the fact that the Quraish worships idols which they placed in the Kaaba, perform Tawaf Naked etc. Absolutely that is not Hajj they were performing in the pre-Islamic period. Hajj is a monotheistic call and practice established by Nabi Ibrahim, but polluted by the pagan as a result of time. All their practice were render null and void and Islam established (while preserving Ibrahim's rites) the rites of Hajj.

Pertains to Muslims facing Jerusalem, Mr Sino kindly share with us any hadith that ever alleged that Nabi Muhammad asked the Jew why they face Jerusalem thereby he now ordered his followers to do so. That will be a perfect fit for your Ashura fasting. Its an insult to Quran and the Prophet to claim he used to consult the Jews and then legislate. Allah has given him the knowledge of their books [Torah and Injil] and he consult his Lord only for difficult or ambigous matters.

Many golden verse of Quran have just been quoted for you, one of which Allah says:
"It is He (Allah) who has sent His Apostle with guidance and the Religion of truth, that he may proclaim it over all deen (ways of life, practice, religion)..." surah Saff:9; surah Tawbah:28.

Therefore, Allah ruled that Muslim should turned to Makkah as against Jerusalem. That was an explicit order in line with the ayah above.

Saying Prophet consult the Jews on issues of Islamic legislation is nothing but lies against the Prophet.
Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by AlBaqir(m): 4:52pm On Oct 31, 2015
Mr Sino, where are thou? I hope you did not ran away o. You have chance to save lots of your brothers and sisters in dillema on this Jewish fasting of a thing faah. You've add lot of salt to your injuries already. 1st year hijri vs 9th year Hijrah. Busted! That hadith of Ibn Abbas is a bomb.
Your respond brother.

1 Like

Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by sino(m): 7:15pm On Oct 31, 2015
AlBaqir:

Ma sha Allah! Aisha had reported so. Meaning that the Prophet KNEW AND VERY MUCH AWARE OF THE FAST OF ASHURA AND OBSERVED IT RELIGIOUSLY. Agreed?!

Contrary to the baloney opinions of your scholars, here is how hadith portray the scenerio:

"...He (the Prophet) asked them (the Jews): "What is the significance of this day on which you fast?" Does this statement ever portray awareness of this day (Ashura) let alone the fast? Don't your scholars agreed he's being observing that fast for ages before he even attain prophethood?

The hadith continue after the Jews gave their theories and prophet agreed, ONLY THEN the hadith says: "He (the Prophet) then fasted on that day and ORDERED the Muslims too"

This is a completely new set of order. And a huge blow to the fact that prophet (and apparently the muslims- Muhajirun) had been observing the fast of Ashura for years (at least 13years of his stay as a Prophet in Makkah).

I can’t help your warped understanding you infuse into this traditions, I can only show you facts, what the people of proper knowledge and understanding had expressed, and what common sense dictates…

How can you conclude that a question from the Prophet (SAW) to the Jews signifies his lack of knowledge about Ashura?! Is that logical at all? So if I ask you a question about the significance of something, that automatically means I don’t know that thing right? Ever heard of false dichotomy?

The understanding from this question of the Prophet (SAW), is that the Prophet (SAW) asked about the significance from the Jews, Just as he (SAW) asked the people of Medinah about the significance of their eid, as reported in another tradition (see hadith below), which buttress the sunnah of the prophet (SAW) to ask questions, either to confirm the practice as acceptable, or order what has been inspired by Allah (SWT) which is better.

Related by Anas bin Malik: "When the Prophet came to Madinah and (saw that) there were two days which the people of that place celebrated as festivals he enquired about their significance. (The people of Madinah) told, 'These were our days of fun and entertainment during the days of Paganism.' The Prophet, thereupon, observed, 'God has given you two better days in their place, 'Id-ul-Fitr and 'Id-ul-Adha'."

If we cannot conclude that the Prophet (SAW) did not know anything about eid from this narration, then you cannot say the Prophet (SAW) does not know anything about Ashura narration. I hope this is clear enough?!

Again we can easily see how the Prophet (SAW) denied what belongs to paganism, while that of the Jews was not about paganism, the Jews are monotheist, and Musa (AS) is a prophet of Allah (SWT), whose practice can be emulated if there is no divine revelation against such practice, this is a fact for all the prophets and messengers of Allah (SWT).

I had hinted what our scholars of hadith had explained earlier, but I know you do not care about authorities (except when it suits your agenda), but for the benefit of the sincere reader, here are two quotes from scholars who are authorities in their own right, worthy of analyzing ahadith:

Al-Maaziri (rah) said in regards to the question of the Prophet (SAW) to the Jews:

What the Jews say is not to be accepted (and taken as true), so it may be that the Prophet (saw) received revelation that confirmed what they said, or that he heard about that from many different sources, so that he concluded that it was true. (This was quoted by an-Nawawi in Sharh Muslim, 8/11)

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (rah) said:

Even though this fast was not originally intended to do the same as the people of the Book, his saying, “We are closer to Moosa than you” is a confirmation of the prescription to observe this fast, and explaining to the Jews that what you do of expressing love for Moosa, we do too, and we are closer to Moosa than you. (Iqtida’ as-Siraat al-Mustaqeem, p. 174)

Now you have continued to commit a grave mistake of isolating hadith and jumping to conclusion, you forgot to mention another version whereby the Prophet (SAW) gave a response in regards to their theories, the above statement by Ibn Taymiyah put this in proper light, it shouldn’t be that difficult to comprehend. This does not in any way contradict what the Prophet (SAW) and his companions observed prior to the enquiry of the Prophet (SAW).

AlBaqir:

OH it is! Quran says:

Quran continues:

Never will the Jews and the Christians be satisfied with thee (Muhammad) unless you follow their form of religion. Say (O Muhammad) 'The guidance of Allah, that is the (ONLY) guidance.' Were you to follow their desires after knowledge which has reached you, then you will neither find protector or helper against Allah" {surah al-Baqarah:120}.

Yet the hadith narrators even quoted that one companion exclaimed: "O Messenger of Allah! IT is a day which the christians and the Jews hold in high esteem." Are you alleging the Prophet will rule against the order of the Quran?!

Sino, this is a plain Quran. And it is the Furqan that destroy your myth and blind followership of whatever you see in the book of hadith. Sometimes I don't blame the likes of Username that ran away from your so-called ahadith.

Nabi Musa (alaihim Salam) is the most talked about Prophet in the entire Quran. Interestingly, Allah mentioned the very encounter he had with Pharaoh and how Allah saved him and Israelites from paraoah's fitnah. Quran never stops there, it also give aftermath of the scenerio. Even if Quran keep silent on fasting of Ashura (which is allegedly link to Musa), rather than asking the Jews and legislate based on their verdict, Muhammad (sala'Allahu alaih WA a'ahli) will be informed by His Lord through Jubril (as).

Allah says:

"By the star when it goes down

Your companion (Muhammad) is neither astray nor being misled

Nor does he say (aught) of (his own) desire.

It is no less than inspiration sent down to him

He was taught by Almighty in Power" {surah Najm}.
Interesting, did Allah (SWT) send the messengers before Muhammad (SAW) with misguidance?! The hadith clearly states that the Jews were basically emulating Prophet Musa (AS), which the Prophet (SAW) confirmed that we are more closer to Musa (AS) than they are, because they have changed their religion, edited the Book Allah (SWT) gave them and they didn’t believe in the Prophet (SAW) as the last messenger which Allah (SWT) says is clear in the book given to them.

A quick question AlBaqir, did Musa (AS) bring the Jewish religion? Was Musa (AS) misguided? If your answers are NO, then what is the need of quoting these Qur’anic verses above? That the Jews and Christians formulated their own religion, and disobeyed their messengers, does not invalidate the messages of their messengers. Part of the articles of faith to be a Muslim is to believe in the Messengers and their books. I see you want support from the hadith rejecters, perhaps you come clean and tell us you are now a Quranist, and then I would understand your rejecting authentic narrations even those in your shia books, authenticated by your shia scholars.

For your information, according to the hadith, it wasn’t a companion that “EXCLAIMED”, it was "the companions said"… it is not something new for the companions of the Prophet (SAW) to draw his attention to matters they are worried about, and again, the Prophet (SAW) was not emulating the religion of the Jews and Christians, He was emulating his brother Musa (AS), or have you forgotten the Prophets are brothers?! and the Prophet (SAW) has the right to inform the companions to fast the 9th, He does not speak out of mere desires remember?

If you truly believe the verses you have quoted, especially what Allah (SWT) says in surah An Najm, then you will not be here undermining this well established sunnah of our beloved prophet (SAW). Let us look at what Allah (SWT) says about the rescue of the Israelites from Pharaoh:

“And certainly We sent Musa with Our communications, saying: Bring forth your people from utter darkness into light and remind them of the days of Allah; most surely there are signs in this for every patient, grateful one.
And when Musa said to his people: Call to mind Allah’s favor to you when He delivered you from Pharaoh’s people, who subjected you to severe torment, and slew your sons and spared your women; and in this there was a great trial from your Lord.
And when your Lord made it known: If you are grateful, I would certainly give to you more, and if you are ungrateful, My chastisement is truly severe.
And Musa said: If you are ungrateful, you and those on earth all together, most surely Allah is self-sufficient, Praised.
(Q14:5-cool

We read here how Musa (AS) advised his people “remember Allah’s days”, especially the day Allah (SWT) saved them, and that they should be grateful, fortunately, the hadith informed us that Musa (AS) fasted to show gratitude on this day so what is still your confusion? Funny enough, you must have used this verse to advice people to show gratitude, that Allah (SWT) would increase you in manifold; don’t you know that it was Musa (AS) that Allah (SWT) is using to teach us this great lesson? And then it is found on record that he fasted, which is what any good Muslim would do to show gratitude to Allah (SWT) for His favor, aside from giving sadaqah.

I find it quite bizarre that you people would go at any length to discredit the sunnah, why I ask?! And then you come and claim you are following the Prophet (SAW) and the ahl-l-Bayt even when they also fasted on this day?

AlBaqir:

The same narrator, Ibn Abbas! The same command to the Muslim to fast@underline (above). Yet you open your 'mouth' trying to dupe people the two ahadith are different:that One happened in 1st year Hijri, the other in the 9th year Hijrah.

Hasn't Aisha (and others) reported the following: "...So, when he migrated to Madina, he fasted on it and ordered (the Muslims) to fast on it When the fasting of Ramadhan was enjoined, it became optional for the people to fast or not to fast on the day of Ashura."

You see your fallacy, Mr Sino? How will Prophet ordered fasting of Ashura in 9th Hijri, after Allah has legislated Ramadhan to nullify previous obligatory fasting? Besides, that hadith goes further to say Prophet planned to fast "tasua" (9th day of Muharram) the following year [to be different from Jewish and Christian form of fasting on 10th Only] but died before the advent of that year. So are you insinuating the Prophet continue following the practice of the Jew and Christians for 9years before realizing there is a need to be different from them? That is a disobedience to the verse 120 of Surah Baqarah where Allah says NEVER should the Prophet followed the Ahlul Kitab.

Mr man don't deceive your intelligent for the price of defending your k-legged creed. The hadith of Ibn Abbas (ra) is the same thing in different sigha (version). Obviously none of your Shuyukh has ever reason shallowly the way you have reasoned.

Na wa o, me dupe people? How? The hadith are there for all to read, even in sahih Muslim, they are in different subheadings, and what logic is it that the same narrator, means the same hadith?! Let us look at the ahadith again:
2712 - حَدَّثَنَا يَحْيَى بْنُ يَحْيَى أَخْبَرَنَا هُشَيْمٌ عَنْ أَبِى بِشْرٍ عَنْ سَعِيدِ بْنِ جُبَيْرٍ عَنِ ابْنِ عَبَّاسٍ - رضى الله عنهما - قَالَ قَدِمَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ -صلى الله عليه وسلم- الْمَدِينَةَ فَوَجَدَ الْيَهُودَ يَصُومُونَ يَوْمَ عَاشُورَاءَ فَسُئِلُوا عَنْ ذَلِكَ فَقَالُوا هَذَا الْيَوْمُ الَّذِى أَظْهَرَ اللَّهُ فِيهِ مُوسَى وَبَنِى إِسْرَائِيلَ عَلَى فِرْعَوْنَ فَنَحْنُ نَصُومُهُ تَعْظِيمًا لَهُ. فَقَالَ النَّبِىُّ -صلى الله عليه وسلم- « نَحْنُ أَوْلَى بِمُوسَى مِنْكُمْ ». فَأَمَرَ بِصَوْمِهِ.

2714 - وَحَدَّثَنِى ابْنُ أَبِى عُمَرَ حَدَّثَنَا سُفْيَانُ عَنْ أَيُّوبَ عَنْ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ بْنِ سَعِيدِ بْنِ جُبَيْرٍ عَنْ أَبِيهِ عَنِ ابْنِ عَبَّاسٍ - رضى الله عنهما - أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ -صلى الله عليه وسلم- قَدِمَ الْمَدِينَةَ فَوَجَدَ الْيَهُودَ صِيَامًا يَوْمَ عَاشُورَاءَ فَقَالَ لَهُمْ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ -صلى الله عليه وسلم- « مَا هَذَا الْيَوْمُ الَّذِى تَصُومُونَهُ ». فَقَالُوا هَذَا يَوْمٌ عَظِيمٌ أَنْجَى اللَّهُ فِيهِ مُوسَى وَقَوْمَهُ وَغَرَّقَ فِرْعَوْنَ وَقَوْمَهُ فَصَامَهُ مُوسَى شُكْرًا فَنَحْنُ نَصُومُهُ. فَقَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ -صلى الله عليه وسلم- « فَنَحْنُ أَحَقُّ وَأَوْلَى بِمُوسَى مِنْكُمْ ». فَصَامَهُ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ -صلى الله عليه وسلم- وَأَمَرَ بِصِيَامِهِ.
Ibn `Abbās (raḍī Allāhu anhu) said: “When the Messenger of Allāh (ṣallallāhu ‘alayhi wa sallam) came to Madīnah, he found the Jews fasting on the day of `Āshūra. He asked: ‘What is this [that you are doing]?’ They replied: ‘This is a righteous day. On this day Allāh saved the Israelites from their enemies, and so Moses, on this day, observed a fast.’ The Messenger of Allāh (ṣallallāhu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: ‘I have a greater right on Moses (alayhis salām) than you.’ So, he observed the fast (on that day) and ordered the Muslims to also fast.’

This first two hadith above are what can be said to be same but different versions, and one clearly explains the other and put it into proper context. This is what I understand about different versions of a hadith. Now let’s look at the one below:

2722 - وَحَدَّثَنَا الْحَسَنُ بْنُ عَلِىٍّ الْحُلْوَانِىُّ حَدَّثَنَا ابْنُ أَبِى مَرْيَمَ حَدَّثَنَا يَحْيَى بْنُ أَيُّوبَ حَدَّثَنِى إِسْمَاعِيلُ بْنُ أُمَيَّةَ أَنَّهُ سَمِعَ أَبَا غَطَفَانَ بْنَ طَرِيفٍ الْمُرِّىَّ يَقُولُ سَمِعْتُ عَبْدَ اللَّهِ بْنَ عَبَّاسٍ - رضى الله عنهما - يَقُولُ حِينَ صَامَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ -صلى الله عليه وسلم- يَوْمَ عَاشُورَاءَ وَأَمَرَ بِصِيَامِهِ قَالُوا يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ إِنَّهُ يَوْمٌ تُعَظِّمُهُ الْيَهُودُ وَالنَّصَارَى. فَقَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ -صلى الله عليه وسلم- « فَإِذَا كَانَ الْعَامُ الْمُقْبِلُ - إِنْ شَاءَ اللَّهُ - صُمْنَا الْيَوْمَ التَّاسِعَ ». قَالَ فَلَمْ يَأْتِ الْعَامُ الْمُقْبِلُ حَتَّى تُوُفِّىَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ -صلى الله عليه وسلم-.
Ibn `Abbās (raḍī Allāhu anhumā) narrated that when the Messenger of Allāh (ṣallallāhu ‘alayhi wa sallam) fasted on the day of `Āshūra and commanded that it be observed as a fast, they (his Companions) said to him: “Messenger of Allāh (ṣallallāhu ‘alayhi wa sallam), it is a day which the Jews and Christians hold in high esteem.” Thereupon the Messenger of Allāh (ṣallallāhu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: “When the next year comes, Allāh willing, we will observe fast on the ninth.” The Messenger of Allāh (ṣallallāhu ‘alayhi wa sallam) died before the advent of the next year.

Firstly, from the chain of transmission, we can see the difference, while the first two hadith reported that the prophet (SAW) came to Medina and found the Jews fasting on the day of ashura, this hadith states that when the Prophet (SAW) was fasting ashura and ordered his companions to fast…in the first two hadith, Musa and saving the children of Isreal is reported, in this hadith, nothing of such can be found…in this hadith, death of the prophet(SAW) is mentioned, in the first two, nothing of such can be found…in the first two hadith, it can be said that the gathering would consist of the Jews and the companions, while this hadith only indicates the companions being present… Only a mischievous person would say they are the same hadith.

Secondly, that the Prophet (SAW) ordered his companions to fast do not indicate the same hadith or an obligatory act like Ramadhan, rather a reminder, and what is termed sunnah muakkadah according to the fuqaha, but I expect you to know this, so unfortunate, Alhamdulilah that Islam is not based on what we think.

Thirdly, how many times must it be mentioned before you understand that “came to Medina” does not mean 1st of hijra in this narrations?!

Fourthly, what brought about being different from the Jews and Christians?! Do you read tafsir at all? I had pointed out that the Jews and Christians had doctored their books, went against the teachings of their Prophets (AS) and did not believe in the Prophet (SAW), and Allah (SWT) told the Prophet (SAW) that they will never be pleased until he follows their religion which Allah (SWT) clarified to mean following their desires in the same verse you are quoting, I do not see from the ahadith of ashurah that the Jews fasted based on their desires, or do you have such ahadith? I don’t know how this helps your argument, only if you believe that Musa (AS) and Issa (AS) were the founders of these religions, then perhaps you are right, they came with false religion.

Allah (SWT) says: “And the same did Ibrahim enjoin on his sons and (so did) Yaqoub. O my sons! Surely Allah has chosen for you (this) faith, therefore die not unless you are Muslims.” (Q 2: 132)

“Nay! Do you say that Ibrahim and Ismail and Yaqoub and the tribes were Jews or Christians? Say: Are you better knowing than Allah? And who is more unjust than he who conceals a testimony that he has from Allah? And Allah is not at all heedless of what you do.” (Q 2: 140)

Abu Hurairah reported Allah’s Messenger (SAW) as saying: “I am most akin to Jesus Christ among the whole of mankind, and all the Prophets are of different mothers but belong to one religion and no Prophet was raised between me and Jesus.” (Muslim – Book 30, Hadith 5835)

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by sino(m): 7:15pm On Oct 31, 2015
AlBaqir:

Its like the blood-rush of defending your hadith by all means do not allow you to digest my argument well. According to your history, the Quraish were pagan idol-worshippers. So observation of Ashura by the Quraish was based upon what intention? Obviously not Musa's safety from Pharaoh because if it was, the Prophet (who is alleged to have been observing this fast since that time) will not displayed naivety to the Jewish theory. And you will add salt to your injury if you claim he's fasting is in accordance with the practice of the Jew/Christian of Makkah.

Again the fact that the Quraish worships idols which they placed in the Kaaba, perform Tawaf Naked etc. Absolutely that is not Hajj they were performing in the pre-Islamic period. Hajj is a monotheistic call and practice established by Nabi Ibrahim, but polluted by the pagan as a result of time. All their practice were render null and void and Islam established (while preserving Ibrahim's rites) the rites of Hajj.

Pertains to Muslims facing Jerusalem, Mr Sino kindly share with us any hadith that ever alleged that Nabi Muhammad asked the Jew why they face Jerusalem thereby he now ordered his followers to do so. That will be a perfect fit for your Ashura fasting. Its an insult to Quran and the Prophet to claim he used to consult the Jews and then legislate. Allah has given him the knowledge of their books [Torah and Injil] and he consult his Lord only for difficult or ambigous matters.

Many golden verse of Quran have just been quoted for you, one of which Allah says:

Therefore, Allah ruled that Muslim should turned to Makkah as against Jerusalem. That was an explicit order in line with the ayah above.

Saying Prophet consult the Jews on issues of Islamic legislation is nothing but lies against the Prophet.

‘Abdullah ibn ‘Umar(ra) narrated that the people of the Jaahiliyyah used to fast on the day of ‘Ashoora’, and the Messenger of Allah(saw) and the Muslims fasted it before Ramadaan was made obligatory. When the month of Ramadaan was made obligatory, the Messenger of Allah(saw) said: “ ‘Ashoora’ is one of the days of Allah, so whoever wishes may fast it and whoever wishes may omit it.” [Narrated by Muslim (1126)].

The Quraish may be Jahil, and idol worshipers, but that does not make them not to know a significant day, either through their forefathers or their experiences. We do not have a report explicitly saying why the pagans fasted on this day, but what the above hadith confirms is that Allah (SWT) had made the Prophet (SAW) aware of this day, and as stated in the Qur’an, which the Prophet (SAW) also reiterated here, “Ashoora is one of the days of Allah”.

Abu’l-‘Abbaas al-Qurtubi(rah) said:

The words of ‘Aa’ishah(ra): “Quryash used to fast ‘Ashoora’ during the Jaahiliyyah,” indicate that fasting on this day was known to them to be prescribed and they were aware of its virtue. Perhaps they fasted on that day on the grounds that it was part of what was prescribed to Ibraaheem(as) and Ismaa‘eel(as), because they claimed to be following them and they attributed many of the rulings of Hajj and so on to them. [Al-Mufhim lima Ashkala min Talkhees Kitaab Muslim, 3/190, 191]

You can deny it all you want, the facts have been presented to you, and you shall answer for your skepticism and doubts.

Good, you said it yourself, the pagans polluted Hajj, thus, it was still Hajj they would call it, and since the Prophet (SAW) was from Quraish, He was among them and knew why they were performing it, which is following their forefathers. The Prophet (SAW) came to clear the corruption people introduced into the one true religion the religion of his forefathers, especially the corruption of shirk and all other forms of corruption Allah instructs him to destroy. Fasting on Ashura is not a corruption in the deen because Jews observed it, just as Hajj is not a corruption because those who were doing it were pagans and introduced their own desires to the rites; these acts were established by prophets of Allah (SWT). It is that simple…#common sense

And please furnish us with the divine revelation to face Jerusalem for prayers bro; honestly, I’m interested to read it, why did the Prophet (SAW) face Jerusalem for prayers initially?!

You are the one interpreting the whole thing to what your prejudiced view dictates, where is it stated that the Prophet (SAW) consulted the Jews to legislate matters about the deen? When he (SAW) asked the people of Medinah about their eid, was he also consulting them to legislate about the deen? Did the reply of the Prophet (SAW) suggest or indicate someone who was seeking their opinion on what to do? Subhanallah!

“….the Prophet (saw) did not fast the day of ‘Ashoora’ in emulation of the Jews, because he used to fast it before he came to them and before he knew anything about them; rather what happened was that he made it obligatory, in hope of softening the Jews’ hearts and win them over to Islam, just as was the reason for facing towards their qiblah. That period was the time when the Prophet (saw) liked to do the same as the people of the Book in matters that he had not been forbidden to do so. (Al-Mufhim lima Ashkala min Talkhees Kitaab Muslim, 3/191-192)

I know it is difficult for you to accept; you have even ignored your Imams statements, and ready to reject authentic ahadith altogether, just because of hate for the Ummayads, just because you want to bring into Islam, what was never part of it, the practices you people do in commemorating the death of Husein (ra), but here is a quote from a shia:

Famous Shia scholar al-Muhaqqiq al-Sha`rani says in his commentary on the book “al-Wafi” by al-Faydh al-Kashani, 22/505:
وقد يتفق لبعض الرواة الغالين في عداوة المخالفين والمبالغين في خلاف المنحرفين عن أهل البيت عليهم السلام أن يجاوزوا الحد ويلزموا أمورا من غير عمد ليخالفوا أهل الخلاف تدعوهم إلى ذلك شدة علاقتهم بالتشيع كما نرى جماعة في الأعصار المتأخرة ينكرون استحباب صوم عاشوراء مع الاتفاق على استحبابه ليخالفوا المخالفين ،
ويلتزمون بتحريف القرآن ليطعنوا به على أعداء أهل البيت عليهم السلام ، مع أن مطاعنهم في الكثرة بحيث لا يحتاج معها إلى إثبات التحريف وهدم أساس الدين

[It happens that some of the narrators who are extreme in their hatred for the Mukhalifeen (Sunnis), those who exaggerate the differences and deviate from the school of Ahlul-Bayt (as), that they may go over board in certain beliefs un-intentionally only so they may oppose the Mukhalifeen. They do this because of their strong relation to Tashayyu`, as we see a group in the late times who deny that fasting `Ashura is liked (Mustahabb) by agreement, just so they can oppose the Mukhalifeen, and they stick to the belief that the Qur’an is corrupted so they can use this to criticize the enemies of Ahlul-Bayt (as), although there are many criticisms against them and there is no need to prove Tahreef(corruption) and demolish the foundations of the religion.]

Fasting is prescribed, the Prophet (SAW) fasted, the Ahl-l-bayt fasted, your scholars agreed the narration of fasting on ashura are authentic, but here you are, fighting tooth and nail, denying the sunnah of the Prophet (SAW).
Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by AlBaqir(m): 8:27pm On Oct 31, 2015
^@ Sino,

First, check again for confirmation: I never said "1st Hijrah". I said "1st year Hijrah". I even made a calculation for you about 9-10month between the month Prophet entered Madinah and the purported month he was reported to have met the Jew fasting. So, "entered Madina" could be in a frame of period. You are the one that quoted Beruni's theory which nobody asked you.

Second, absolutely you have not done anything other than continuous pasting of what we really don't need. The word of Qurtubi you quoted blow all your argument further:

“….the Prophet (saw) did not fast the day of ‘Ashoora’ in emulation of the Jews, because he used to fast it before he came to them and before he knew anything about them; rather what happened was that he made it obligatory, in hope of softening the Jews’ hearts and win them over to Islam, just as was the reason for facing towards their qiblah. That period was the time when the Prophet (saw) liked to do the same as the people of the Book in matters that he had not been forbidden to do so. (Al-Mufhim lima Ashkala min Talkhees Kitaab Muslim, 3/191-192)"

Obviously from the hadith of Aisha, he knew much about the fast of Ashura perhaps that was the reason al-Qurtubi too agreed on that. The point is why was he fasting then? 13years (at least not to add years of pre-prophethood) he's been fasting. With what intention?! Qurtubi blew it apart obviously since he knew those alleged questions of "the prophet" to the Jews prove absolutely his nativity to Ashura fasting. Perhaps Qurtubi sensed the danger [of what intention had he been fasting all these days of Jahiliyah + 13years as prophet], here he insinuated prophet knew the reason tender by the Jews already but ""to softening their heart and win them over, he made the fast obligatory for the Muslims" Do you also subscribe to this, Sino, Empiree et al?

I say Subhan'Allah! Lahaola walaquwata illah billah, al-Aliyy al-Azeem. That (suggestions) is crazy brother! Anyway that's Qurtubi's theory which he can never backed up by any hadith from the Prophet. Its only conjecture.

Third, Quran says in many places that Allah has given the Prophet the knowledge of previous divine book. And no doubt he knew the divine books of the previous prophets and in a better position to teach the Rabi and pastors of the Jews and christians respectively. So why asking the Jews the significance of the fasting of Ashura?

Fourth, while I maintained that the two ahadith of Ibn Abbas are of the same event of meeting the Jews but came in different sigha (version), you on the other hand reasoned the 1st hadith refer to the encounter with the Jews in the 1st year Hijri and the second hadith was a year before the prophet demise around 9th year hijri.

For the sake of argument let me follow your pseudo suggestion, so why does it took the prophet donkey years [8years] before realizing Muslims need to be differ from the Jewish practice of Ashura, thereby institutionalized "tasua, 9th" along Ashura, 10th?

Obviously he's been following the Jews all these while and the command of Allah in surah Baqarah to never follow the Jews had been revealed in 2A.H when Ramadan was legislated.

Haba Sino, why? All these to defend this Ashura fasting?! This is sad, brother.

All other "points of yours" worth no comments.

1 Like

Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by AlBaqir(m): 8:51pm On Oct 31, 2015
@ Sino, you seemed do not understand my view on Ashura fasting of yours at all. Remember you and I once ironed out "Tarawih" issue. In the same context, whether you fast Ashura or not [same as Tarawih], is none of my business and obviously the reward of every good act with pure intention [whether established by the prophet or not] is with Allah. My bone on contention is the hadith attributed to Ibn Abbas. Fasting Ashura with that crooked intentions that Prophet "emulated the Jews (and probably the Christian)"?! The same with Tarawih when you guys alleged it was the Prophet that established it. So get this fact right rather than pasting epistles and continue quoting Shi'i text.
Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by fahadali22: 1:16am On Sep 30, 2017
Fasting 9th and 10th Muharram has great value in Islam. We fast because it is the Sunnah of our Prophet Mohammad (Peace Be Upon Him). He(PBUH) fasted due to the following:

When the Prophet Muhammad(Peace Be Upon Him) emigrated to Madina he found the Jews fasting on the 10th of Muharram (the 1st month), who in were fasting because their Prophet Moses (AS) fasted in gratitude of Allah for saving him and his followers from the Pharaoh. There upon he started to fast as well and ordered the Muslims to fast too.

The next year, fasting was made mandatory by Allah in the month of Ramadan – the 9th month – thus the fast for 10th Muharram became non-obligatory yet remained important as the Prophet continued to keep fast on this day outside of Ramadan. He fasted on other days as well but this was one of the days when he recommended others fast too.

Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) said: Allah’s Messenger (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “The best time to fast after Ramadan is Allah’s month.

In the 10th year of his stay in Madina, the Prophet (SWT) said: “If I live, then IA next year I will fast on both 9th and 10th Muharram as we should fast differently from the Jews”.

Imam At-Tirmidhi reported that Ibn `Abbas (may Allah be pleased with them both) used to say: We should fast on two days: the 9th and 10th of Muharram to distinguish ourselves from the Jewish community. (At-Tirmidhi, Hadith 686).

Source: prayertimenyc.com
Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by AlBaqir(m): 5:46am On Sep 30, 2017
fahadali22:
Fasting 9th and 10th Muharram has great value in Islam. We fast because it is the Sunnah of our Prophet Mohammad (Peace Be Upon Him). He(PBUH) fasted due to the following:

When the Prophet Muhammad(Peace Be Upon Him) emigrated to Madina he found the Jews fasting on the 10th of Muharram (the 1st month), who in were fasting because their Prophet Moses (AS) fasted in gratitude of Allah for saving him and his followers from the Pharaoh. There upon he started to fast as well and ordered the Muslims to fast too.

# Obviously the Hadith of Aishah established this - meaning that our Prophet knew nothing and practice nothing of Ashura fasting prior to his arrival at Madina. The Jewish practice kick start the whole thing for him despite the fact that the Quraysh of Jahiliyyah used to fast Ashura, according to yet another report:

# Imam Muslim also documents:

"'A'isha (r) reported that the Quraish used to fast on the day of 'Ashura in the pre-Islamic days and the Messenger of Allah (s) also observed it. When he migrated to Medina, he himself observed this fast and commanded (others) to observe it. But when fasting during the month of Ramadan was made obligatory he said: He who wishes to observe this fast may do so, and he who wishes to abandon it may do so."
Reference : Sahih Muslim 1125 a
In-book reference : Book 13, Hadith 143 http://
www.sunnah.com/muslim/13

NB: Although the Hadith of Ibn Abbas that maintained that only when Nabi met the Jews fasting Ashura that he "started" the fasting and commanded his followers is in gross contradiction to this Aishah claim that the Prophet also observed fast of Ashura alongside the Qurayshi (his clan) in the pre-Islamic days, however let's wave it and forge ahead.

# In short, the prophet "started" Ashura fasting in the 1st year of migration to Madina upon the Jewish practice.

fahadali22:

The next year, fasting was made mandatory by Allah in the month of Ramadan – the 9th month – thus the fast for 10th Muharram became non-obligatory yet remained important as the Prophet continued to keep fast on this day outside of Ramadan. He fasted on other days as well but this was one of the days when he recommended others fast too.

# Ma sha Allah, Ramadan was made obligatory in the 2nd year of Hijra.

# Unfortunately, Ashura fasting was rather made ABANDONED after Ramadan was legislated.

Imam Bukhari documents the interpretation of "abandon" of Ashura fasting by a Sahabi:

Narrated Ibn `Umar:
The Prophet (s) observed the fast on the 10th of Muharram ('Ashura), and ordered (Muslims) to fast on that day, but when the fasting of the month of Ramadan was prescribed, the fasting of the 'Ashura' was abandoned. Abdullah did not use to fast on that day unless it coincided with his routine fasting by chance.
Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 1892
In-book reference : Book 30, Hadith 2 http://
www.sunnah.com/bukhari/30

# And indeed that is how Allah structure Islam when He states in another early Madinan surah:

"He it is Who sent His Apostle with the guidance and the true religion, that He may make it overcome the religions, all of them, though the polytheists may be averse " {surah as-Saff: 9}

# This is indeed true: Muslims used to face masjid al-Aqsa in Jerusalem to observe Salat. When Allah legislated Qibla by facing the Kaaba in Makkah, was facing al-Aqsa in Jerusalem became "non-obligatory" or abandoned?

1 Like

Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by AlBaqir(m): 6:00am On Sep 30, 2017
fahadali22:

Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) said: Allah’s Messenger (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “The best time to fast after Ramadan is Allah’s month.

In the 10th year of his stay in Madina, the Prophet (SWT) said: “If I live, then IA next year I will fast on both 9th and 10th Muharram as we should fast differently from the Jews”.

fahadali22:

Imam At-Tirmidhi reported that Ibn `Abbas (may Allah be pleased with them both) used to say: We should fast on two days: the 9th and 10th of Muharram to distinguish ourselves from the Jewish community. (At-Tirmidhi, Hadith 686).

Source: prayertimenyc.com

# Kindly back your submission @underlined.

# The only Hadith that gives this information is narrated by Ibn Abbas which states:

Imam Muslim documents:

Ibn 'Abbas reported that when the Messenger of Allah (s)
fasted on the day of 'Ashura and commanded that it should
be observed as a fast, they (his Companions) said to him:
Messenger of Allah, it is a day which the Jews and Christians hold in high esteem. Thereupon the Messenger of Allah (s) said: When the next year comes, God willing, we
would observe fast on the 9th But the Messenger of
Allah (s) died before the advent of the next year

Reference : Sahih Muslim 1134 a
In-book reference : Book 13, Hadith 172 http://
www.sunnah.com/muslim/13

# This hadith which claimed Nabi died the following year
he commanded the fasting of Ashura, clearly suggest he
might have spent 2 - 3 years in al-Madinah. This is
contradictory to established facts of 10 years he spent in
al-Madinah.

# If we however suggest that this command (of the prophet) and the complaint (of the sahabah) of Ashura fasting was on the 9th/10th year of Hijra that Nabi entered al-Madinah therefore died the following year 10th/11th, then it render the previous ahadith of Aishah, Jabir et al useless since they claimed fasting of Ramadan (established in 2nd year) made fasting of Ashura abandoned or optional.

# There is absolutely no suggestion in this hadith that
there was a time difference between the command of
Ashura fasting and the complaint of the Sahabah. Even if
we fabricate a gap period, the question is what made the
complaint of the Sahabah and Nabi's unrealized reaction (that they are emulating the Jews) so late for about 8/9 years?

# The fact that Allah has declared in the 1st year of
Prophet's arrival in al-Madinah:

"Never will the Jews and the Christians be satisfied with thee (Muhammad) unless you follow their form of religion. Say (O Muhammad) 'The guidance of God, that is the (only)
Guidance.‟Were you to follow their desires after the
knowledge which has reached you, then you will neither find protector or helper against God
” {Sura al-Baqarah: 120}

# So, neither the Prophet nor the Sahabah was heed(ful) of
this ayah?!. The valid conclusion is that both the command
and complaint as expressed in the hadith took place in
the 1st/2nd year of Hijra.

# The fact that the hadith later claim Nabi died the
following year collapse the whole pack of lies about the
Tasu'a and Ashura fasting.

1 Like

Re: Why We Fast On 9th And 10th Muharram by AlBaqir(m): 7:58am On Sep 30, 2017

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can A Person Be Possessed By The Jinn When He Is Keeping Up With Adhkaar? / Ruling On Swearing By The Prophet (peace Be Upon Him) / A Journey Through The Quran.... The Amazing Quran Season 2...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 262
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.