Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,072 members, 7,821,681 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:49 PM

Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics (670223 Views)

OPC - Faseun & Adams Unite For Security Of Yoruba Commonwealth / SEUN - Re: Yoruba-commonwealth-politics / Goodluck Jonathan Returns From Commonwealth Assignment (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (384) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by totit: 7:42pm On Oct 23, 2015
Hands up:

Can somebody please enlighten me the significance of the name" abule egba " and where it originated from?

I am very curious :
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by modath(f): 7:44pm On Oct 23, 2015
wytecat:
I know you didn't mention any party, but just said that cos of what I thought you were saying indirectly.

Anyway this is all about. We are Yoruba first before anything.

Amen to your prayer.

@zimoni @ wytecat,

The beautiful & great thing about Yoruba is that we do not let politics spoil our omoluwabi, irrespective of our differences we are Yoruba & always without fail maintain the brotherhood...

Muslim, Christians, Aborisa, we think of ourselves as humans 1st before any other appellation....

God will continue to grow & bless us all...

8 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by zimoni(f): 7:49pm On Oct 23, 2015
modath:

@zimoni @ wytecat,

The beautiful & great thing about Yoruba is that we do not let politics spoil our omoluwabi, irrespective of our differences we are Yoruba & always without fail maintain the brotherhood...

Muslim, Christians, Aborisa, we think of ourselves as humans 1st before any other appellation....

Thanks Ma'am.

Thanks Bro wytecat.

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 7:50pm On Oct 23, 2015
Missy89:

The last time i was there, the city looks the same. Same old pictures .Visiting again next year.

You need to bring the rock to Guam as soon as possible wink

Loool.

You need to bring ya arse to Ldn for a test drive first. lipsrsealed grin
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ritchiee: 7:50pm On Oct 23, 2015
tunde1200:
Though I'm from kwara state. God bless Yoruba land. God bless Nigeria. Proudly Yoruba man!!.
We know Kwara is 90% Yoruba...

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 7:51pm On Oct 23, 2015
I'm kicking off with the home town - London Town. cool
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by modath(f): 7:52pm On Oct 23, 2015
totit:
Hands up:

Can somebody please enlighten me the significance of the name" abule egba " and where it originated from?

I am very curious :

*From stories i can't substantiate*..The Egba merchants made it their "mid point" resting place between Isale Eko & Abeokuta on their buying & selling ventures trips...

Overtime they began to build shelters & stay for few days & it began to grow & grow & the name stayed..

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by theV0ice: 7:52pm On Oct 23, 2015
modath:

@zimoni @ wytecat,

@the bold.....perfectly said grin

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by nduchucks: 7:52pm On Oct 23, 2015
Ritchiee:
Sorry Sir, but this is strictly for the S/WESTERNERS and not meant to harm you or any other...THANKS.Yes,it is a beautiful door.Good night... smiley

mumu ni iwo okunrin yi.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 7:53pm On Oct 23, 2015
[size=14pt]Proposed Yoruba Village in London[/size]

The Yoruba Village is a mixed use development on a 1Ha site providing a wide range of community facilities.
The aspiration of the project is to provide the community with a destination to celebrate the culture of the West African community in London. The proposals were presented to 400 distinguished guests at the Grange Tower Hotel in Tower Bridge in August 2013.

This will be a special scheme for Yoruba's in Diaspora and also a multicultural community that can learn about the Yoruba culture.
The project has been designed to be as permeable as possible with the community through its facade treatment. The urban strategy has been strategically implemented to draw people into the scheme. It provides an 'extension to the main road by introducing a pedestrian’s concourse right through the centre of the scheme.

A flythrough of the project can be viewed on here

The scheme consist of the following
• Public Gallery exhibiting Yoruba and West African Culture
• Suite / Hall 01, 02, 03
- Seats 500 Dining
- Seats 700 Theatre
• Restaurant / Bar Facilities

• Retail Units x10
• Commercial Units x12
• Supermarket 20000 sq ft

• Car Parking - 1000 gross spaces

•Community Facilities (crèche, academic)

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1668159_y1_jpeg_jpegc742a585ad4fb6e8f8cf0a323da2753a

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1668161_y3_jpeg_jpeg1785f6c97b33ffccfb2167284e3077e6

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1668162_y4_jpeg_jpeg204f322510a58f440359d07782cf985b

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1668160_y2_jpeg_jpegc346302dfe45b8088c232ee2a309385d
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 7:56pm On Oct 23, 2015
Moving to America.

Here I'm going to post pictures and background story to the following:

- Odunde Festival, Philadelphia.

- Oyotunji Yoruba Village, South Carolina.

- Osun Village, Miami
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by totit: 7:58pm On Oct 23, 2015
Wale Meets Barack Obama – Photos by RICHIEBOI1(m): 10:37pm On Jul 23
Nigerian-American rapper Wale as part of his stop at the White House got to meet with President Of The United States, Barack Obama.
The DC rapper looked excited to have met the POTUS and Obama looked pleased too and the picture was pretty relaxed.
Wale also met with kids during his stop at the White House.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Wale/status/624306569899982848
cheesy

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by zimoni(f): 7:59pm On Oct 23, 2015
tunde1200:
Though I'm from kwara state.
God bless Yoruba land.
God bless Nigeria.
Proudly Yoruba man!!.

Forget the boundary demarcation Bro.

We are all Omo Yoruba.

God Bless Yorubaland.

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 8:00pm On Oct 23, 2015
[size=14pt]Odunde Festival, Philadelphia[/size]

ODUNDE was created in 1975 by Lois Fernandez and Ruth Arthur. The festival attracts UP TO 500,000 people annually and is the largest African American street festivals held in the country.The festival, whose concept originates from the Yoruba people of Nigeria, West Africa, celebrates the coming of another year for African Americans and Africanized people around the world. It is an occasion highlighted by a colorful procession from 23rd and South Streets to the Schuylkill River where an offering of fruit and flowers is made to Oshun, the Yoruba goddess of the river. ODUNDE is also known for its authentic African marketplace featuring vendors from around the world selling merchandise from many African nations, the Caribbean and Brazil.

Each year, the second Sunday in June, ODUNDE takes place covering 12 city blocks. ODUNDE will be celebrating its 39TH year in the traditional south Philadelphia location near 23rd and South streets. The festival started in 1975 with a $100.00 grant and neighbors from Fernandez's south Philadelphia community. In just two years the ODUNDE Festival exploded. The eclectic mix of vendors, entertainment and music started to draw people from around and beyond the region and each year continues to be no different. ODUNDE IS FOR EVERYONE, WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU AND YOUR FAMILY THIS YEAR!!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by totit: 8:02pm On Oct 23, 2015
modath:

*From stories i can't substantiate*..The Egba merchants made it their "mid point" resting place between Isale Eko & Abeokuta on their buying & selling ventures trips...

Overtime they began to build shelters & stay for few days & it began to grow & grow & the name stayed..

God bless you bro.

Point is, most of what Ogun was part was hijacked by lagos.
I.e , alagbado,agege,ikorodu,mushin, abule egba et al were all part of Ogun state....

My thoughts
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Rilwayne001: 8:04pm On Oct 23, 2015

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Missy89(f): 8:04pm On Oct 23, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Ajowa-Akoko Ondo state

cool Akoko!

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by zimoni(f): 8:05pm On Oct 23, 2015
nduchucks:

mumu ni iwo okunrin yi.

You speak Igbo, Hausa, Fulfulde and Yoruba. No wonder you want to die for One Nigeriya.

However, this thread is about Yoruba Omo Kaaro O Ji're Bi. It's strictly for the Omoluabis.

Please, don't derail this Beautiful thread.

Thanks.

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 8:06pm On Oct 23, 2015
[size=14pt]More Pictures of the Odunde Festival[/size]

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 8:08pm On Oct 23, 2015
Quick break - I need to hit the gym.

Should be back at 11.30PM.

Shalom! grin

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Missy89(f): 8:11pm On Oct 23, 2015
I must check this odunde festival out next year cool

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by demelza: 8:13pm On Oct 23, 2015
Thread was at page 4 when I left this morning!
Got a lot to educate myself on.
Thanks to every contributor.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 8:21pm On Oct 23, 2015
Until i see high speed rail linking the entire region, i am not impressed.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by jstbeinhonest(m): 8:58pm On Oct 23, 2015
IyaIode:

High speed rail?,when we still lack basics like gud roads,hospitals and schools?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 9:03pm On Oct 23, 2015
jstbeinhonest:

High speed rail?,when we still lack basics like gud roads,hospitals and schools?
We need to start thinking big
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by teamchocolate: 9:08pm On Oct 23, 2015
@ ikeji- arakeji, what do u mean

undecided undecided

modath:

By osun I believe the limit is ikire or gbogan, you definitely can't be referring to Ikeji arakeji. cheesy

On a more serious note though, with high speed train, IFe is doable....only that it won't be an everyday kind of Job.

I feel for you lagosians, oluwa a fi ere si ise gbogbo yin..
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 9:10pm On Oct 23, 2015
Missy89:
I must check this odunde festival out next year cool

Don't worry we'll go together...I just bought a few dashikis I'm gonna start wearing on holz a few weeks ago. But can you twerk ya small batty to talking drums though? Loool

Shyte, I can't really dance, apart from skanking (London type of dance), but when the talking drums go off...I'll lose my darn minds lol. So you need to be able to compete with that.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 9:12pm On Oct 23, 2015
IyaIode:

You want high speed rail, yet you support rogues and sing their praises daily.

Bury ya head in the sand!

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by ARIZONA123(m): 9:12pm On Oct 23, 2015
Good thread!!!!!!! But can d yeribas allow igbos to have e-fight free thread like this? I doubt it. Plsss yerigbas. Let's repect one another for dis country to move foward biko. Thank you mr Festus for this wonderful thread. Shalom!!!

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by ARIZONA123(m): 9:15pm On Oct 23, 2015
Shymm3x:

Don't worry we'll go together...I just bought a few dashikis I'm gonna start wearing on holz a few weeks ago. But can you twerk ya small batty to talking drums though? Loool

Shyte, I can't really dance, apart from skanking (London type of dance), but when the talking drums go off...I'll lose my darn minds lol. So you need to be able to compete with that.
. Internet scammer. I see ur handwork. Good job you are doing here. Cheers!!!
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by ARIZONA123(m): 9:17pm On Oct 23, 2015
Let's play small. Cc:ArodeTsolaye,MrMbam,chyke okolo,codedslayer,Ebukaobi,The revelation,after1
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by tunde1200(m): 9:19pm On Oct 23, 2015
Oodua agbewa oo!

zimoni:

Forget the boundary demarcation Bro.

We are all Omo Yoruba.

God Bless Yorubaland.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (384) (Reply)

Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. / Enugu, The Pride Of The East.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.