Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,700 members, 7,831,184 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:04 PM

Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics - Politics (239) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics (671875 Views)

OPC - Faseun & Adams Unite For Security Of Yoruba Commonwealth / SEUN - Re: Yoruba-commonwealth-politics / Goodluck Jonathan Returns From Commonwealth Assignment (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (236) (237) (238) (239) (240) (241) (242) ... (384) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by modath(f): 4:41pm On Nov 17, 2015
Firefire:

Do you have the scientific instrument that is being used to measure peoples way irrespective of their location ?

Let me order for one.

OKODORO-ORO!

Fire, show me a post of yours here that doesn't have a Tinubu connection...?

There are times we kid around & throw bants here, I see you lurking without commenting, soon as it is Tinubu+SW govs staking time, you rush in with your fuel...

This thread can't be contentious everytime, but those are the only times you & your photgrapher bros pick to bless us with your "warped & highly subjective partisan" comments...

Minus Osomalo who supported Hero cos of his reason, anyone who supports Hero along party lines cannot stand in Judgement of Jagaban...

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 4:42pm On Nov 17, 2015
Osomalo:

Aunty, you are right.

Firefire hardly comment until Tinubu is being discussed. Fire, na wah for you.

I kinda don't see anything wrong with that.

Let him contribute on issues that interest him. I just don't believe the dude/anonimi are Yorubas.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Osomalo(m): 4:49pm On Nov 17, 2015
Well, the thread from page 0 till over 200 was about Yoruba's who are excelling in various fields. We also discussed economy and our social problems such as omo ita and omo onile who are creating nuisance.

We have never bashed any of our leaders here, in fact we avoided political discussion.

Until few days ago when we saw a thread on frontpage about debt owed by each state. Richtiee posted the debt profile here and we all reacted to it. That was the beginning of the anger. Someone like me was really angry when I discovered that debt of Osun State as at 2014 was 52bn whereas the debt Oyinlola left when he handed over power to Aregbesola in 2010 was 18bn.

People are angry because of the debt profile, what the PDP governors left for the ACN/APC governors is far from what we are seeing now.

The question is how do we pay the debt? Why were they all borrowing when the price of crude oil had not fallen? Now that the price have crashed, how do offset the debt? Aregbesola once boasted that he never needed federal allocation to pay salaries, he said the state was financially healthy. I was glad, I never knew he was only bullshitting.

Each state in SW should publish how much they are actually owing presently. We need to know how much each state is really owing. I fear the debt of Osun now is not less than 60bn. Where do we go from here? If our governors can't pay salaries, how then would they provide infrastructural facility.

Lord save us. Lord have mercy.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by modath(f): 4:51pm On Nov 17, 2015
Osomalo:

Aunty, you are right.

Firefire hardly comment until Tinubu is being discussed. Fire, na wah for you.

Abi oooo, me yaff already narrowed down fire 's connect to either of Tewonde or Koro, cos those two are his mortal enemies...

I know it's a Lagos connect cos the bile is mostly for the lagosians, other yoruba states are just cherry on Top...

@IlekeHD.. I have queued behind TheVoice 's comment, no more no less....
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 4:54pm On Nov 17, 2015
Osomalo:
Well, the thread from page 0 till over 200 was about Yoruba's who are excelling in various fields. We also discussed economy and our social problems such as omo ita and omo onile who are creating nuisance.

We have never bashed any of our leaders here, in fact we avoided political discussion.

Until few days ago when we saw a thread on frontpage about debt owed by each state. Richtiee posted the debt profile here and we all reacted to it. That was the beginning of the anger. Someone like me was really angry when I discovered that debt of Osun State as at 2014 was 52bn whereas the debt Oyinlola left when he handed over power to Aregbesola in 2010 was 18bn.

People are angry because of the debt profile, what the PDP governors left for the ACN/APC governors is far from what we are seeing now.

The question is how do we pay the debt? Why were they all borrowing when the price of crude oil had not fallen? Now that the price have crashed, how do offset the debt? Aregbesola once boasted that he never needed federal allocation to pay salaries, he said the state was financially healthy. I was glad, I never knew he was only bullshitting.

Each state in SW should publish how much they are actually owing presently. We need to know how much each state is really owing. I fear the debt of Osun now is not less than 60bn. Where do we go from here? If our governors can't pay salaries, how then would they provide infrastructural facility.

Lord save us. Lord have mercy.

Shouldn't we?

Some Yoruba politicians be waking up everyday with a smug on their face because we don't bash them. And nitori kini, if not to safe face.

There are some politicians I'll personally like to smack. Just give me an hour with Fayose and he'll come back to y'all like a good catholic boy.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by masseratti: 4:56pm On Nov 17, 2015
Damnnn am late.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by superstar1(m): 4:58pm On Nov 17, 2015
Gbawe:

Superstar, I respect the opinion of others but that should not be at the expense of wholesale lies being told against my person and utterances. You go and read the particular post to see if I ever made Kashamu a a SW leadership "benchmark" or "sullied" the name of men I have singularly always defended here.

If you agree I never implied that then do the right thing and speak to the person in the wrong and not me. I won't tolerate lies against me or anyone spinning what I wrote for their own need to play to the gallery. It is plain wrong and nairaland ERS should show the readiness to call a spade a spade here. No one is above criticism here or above the implied rules of our association which is that wrong against others is wrong . Anyway let us move on. I have made my point.

It's obvious you and Katz have your differences. However, that should not deter you from saying your mind the way you see things. In the nearest future, we might all realise you were right afterall.

I quite agree that Katz inferred things you were not saying, which might be due to how is mind processed the information.

We disagree to agree. We all want a better yoruba nation that ww can be proud of and that would be the envy of all.

We cannot tell who is reading our posts. One or Two of our leaders or aides can learn from it and can go ahead to make necessary reforms for our society. Let us keep saying things the way we see it. Blunt and bold.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 5:02pm On Nov 17, 2015
modath:

Abi oooo, me yaff already narrowed down fire 's connect to either of Tewonde or Koro, cos those two are his mortal enemies...

I know it's a Lagos connect cos the bile is mostly for the lagosians, other yoruba states are just cherry on Top...

@IlekeHD.. I have queued behind TheVoice 's comment, no more no less....

I can't argue that TheVoice made a lot of sense, so did many others.

The past discussion has been an enlightenment period for me. Thanks shymmex for posing the question[s].

I can't adequately form an opinion about Tinubu, but like many politicians, he has never been a fan of mine. However, my favor or disfavor shouldn't cloud Tinubu's present weight in Nigerian politics. He has brought Yorubas [like Gbawe mention] to the forefront of Nigerian politics, be it a selfish interest or a political interest]. Now the real question is: Now that we're here, what are we going to do with this position?

I really think we should find a way to minimize the North's political weight and to bring the power back to the South [be it SE/SS/SW]. A region with no added value shouldn't have so much power.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Osomalo(m): 5:03pm On Nov 17, 2015
F
modath:

Fire, show me a post of yours here that doesn't have a Tinubu connection...?

There are times we kid around & throw bants here, I see you lurking without commenting, soon as it is Tinubu+SW govs staking time, you rush in with your fuel...

This thread can't be contentious everytime, but those are the only times you & your photgrapher bros pick to bless us with your "warped & highly subjective partisan" comments...

Minus Osomalo who supported Hero cos of his reason, anyone who supports Hero along party lines cannot stand in Judgement of Jagaban...

Haaaaaaaaaa.

Aunty, shey Jonah Ologogoro le n pe ni Hero? Beer lo ma n je Hero?

Jonathan doesn't drink beer nah, he prefers Hot Oju-Ina(Ogogoro, some people call it Oju-Ina at Ife lols).

I'm missing my Jonathan, I too like Jonah Ologogoro.

Hahahahahahahahaahahahahah

Jonathan is nothing but a bloody civilian, he couldn't have made those mistakes if he wasn't a bloody civilian.

My governor just benched him as the Clueless No 1.

I dey laugh. I'm back to the evening games, COAS parade tins lol.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by modath(f): 5:23pm On Nov 17, 2015
IlekeHD:

The past discussion has been an enlightenment period for me. Thanks shymmex for posing the question[s].

I can't adequately form an opinion about Tinubu, but like many politicians, he has never been a fan of mine. However, my favor or disfavor shouldn't cloud Tinubu's present weight in Nigerian politics. He has brought Yorubas [like Gbawe mention] to the forefront of Nigerian politics, be it a selfish interest or a political interest]. Now the real question is: Now that we're here, what are we going to do with this position?

I really think we should find a way to minimize the North's political weight and to bring the power back to the South [be it SE/SS/SW]. A region with no added value shouldn't have so much power.

Ileke, you forget politics is a game of Numbers, the north got us stymmied on that front...

& South has add 13& a half of 16yrs, If the country isn't breaking up & they should have it for now...

I support Regionalism, make each region bear hin own cross & anyone that chooses to cross hin boundary should be heavily TAXED
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Gbawe: 5:24pm On Nov 17, 2015
raumdeuter:

I know how all these work. All of us would be here saying things Idealistically. How it should work, How no one should be unemployed, How the roads should all be good etc blast whoever is in Power whereas in the real world, None of these can work because of the peculiarity of the politics

That is why in my post yesterday I stated that Solarin, Soyinka, Gani, Babatope, Fayemi, Fashola etc these are the best any society can wish for, They have all at some time been in public office or tried to

All of them either failed or got booted out by inferior people

There is a difference between idealism and realism

Watching the Republican debate some weeks ago I saw Governor John Kasich said. Its easy to come on these stage and promise heaven go in public and say anything but when you have to deal with the vagaries on ground the reality is different

Suggest realistic options that would cut salaries without an electoral backlash. Using examples of people that have done it in the past but we dont have that

Quick question: Assuming Tinubu dies today, Is it the likes of Solarin or Soyinka that would assume power in the SWest?

thank you Dayo. It is your question at the end I similarly asked before some mischievously claimed I make Kashamu a "SW leadership benchmark" and "sully" the name of Soyinka et al.

Why see the truth, especially when very intelligent, and deny it or try spin it? Has history not shown us that SW grassroot politics, because of the peculiarity of Nigeria, favour the Kashamus of the world and rarely ever the Fayemi, Amosun and Ajimobi type till Tinubu came along?

I will tell the forum a real story that vividly illustrates my point. When Amosun became governor the first to come calling were Osoba et al. They reminded Amosun of the montly 'settlement' of awon boyz Amosun is obligated to pay. If I remember correctly, this sum was around N5- N9 million back then. Amosun insisted it was too much and that he would not pay it because he wanted as much money as possible available for the development of Ogun State. It was that day Osoba and others decided Amosun had to go and this is why they tried to use the SDP Party revival to throw Amosun out and once again control the purse string of Ogun State. Luckily for Amosun, Tinubu backed him privately after the former Lagos governor tried to resolve the impasse only to note Osoba and co were not reasonable and only wanted to run Amosun out of office. In the end Amosun overcame them and gained a second term. Imagine running a State and fighting such powerful forces of sabotage? how many of us, especialy those calling these leaders "failures", can do it?

Now the whole forum should consider whether Kashamu, OGD, Alao-Akala et al would ever hesitate to pay this 'Chicken change' amount and even much more to the detriment of the people. Will Soyinka, Fawenhinmi et al agree to pay? Is it then not obvious why the likes of Kashamu would always enjoy grassroot 'strongmen' support and why Soyinka et al never will? If Tinubu was not around today then it will simply be business-as-usual and we would never see 'aje butter' technocrats like Osinbajo, Kemi Adeosun, Fayemi, Amosun and Ajimobi controlling huge political office. That would be the preserve of the acolytes of Adedibu and co who will help you into office to then insist you bring a significant amount to them monthly.

I honestly don't and will never like idealism. It is very dangerous and can render even the brightest men and women totally ineffective. As Akanbi Edu observed, the SW is now allied to the centre and able to make of our future what we have not had the chance to even dream of since 1999. That is what we should focus on now because the degree of Dubai-style success we all want to see is not achievable without the assistance of the centre. This is a fact however anyone wants to simplistically insult SW governors and label them "failures". Even as I am unsure of Aregbe today, I am fairly sure the likes of Amosun and Ajimobi are some of the best administrators we parade and still able to move their SW States forward once Nigeria is thriving because the centre is delivering what only the centre is able to deliver. With Ambode, it is simply too early to judge him.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 5:26pm On Nov 17, 2015
modath:

Ileke, you forget politics is a game of Numbers, the north got us stymmied on that front...

& South has add 13& a half of 16yrs, If the country isn't breaking up & they should have it for now...

I support Regionalism, make each region bear hin own cross & anyone that chooses to cross hin boundary should be heavily TAXED

Niger Delta didn't have the number.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 5:30pm On Nov 17, 2015
IlekeHD:

Bwahahaha @ bold.

I'm sure you followed the last election and you know how the country is structured. And you're also following the dynamics of things under this government and the power-play. You better leave that alone for now and let's focus on how to get SW states out of the doldrums before they all go bankrupt. grin

Anyway, I've got an idea on the next topic to discuss, but I'm sorry you won't be part of it. Hopefully, Aareonakakanfo and raumdeuter will take charge of the topic. I think we need to discuss why Yorubas aren't producing that many footballing talents in Nigeria. And I'll probably cite the huge number of Yoruba teens and schoolboys playing for the academies of the different EPL clubs as the preamble by listing their names, and clubs. That should be interesting. grin
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 5:33pm On Nov 17, 2015
Shymm3x:

Bwahahaha @ bold.

I'm sure you followed the last election and you know how the country is structured. And you're also following the dynamics of things under this government and the power-play. You better leave that alone for now and let's focus on how to get SW states out of the doldrums before they all go bankrupt. grin

Anyway, I've got an idea on the next topic to discuss, but I'm sorry you won't be part of it. Hopefully, Aareonakakanfo and raumdeuter will take charge of the topic. I think we need to discuss why Yorubas aren't producing that many footballing talents in Nigeria. And I'll probably cite the huge number of Yoruba teens and schoolboys playing for the academies of the different EPL clubs as the preamble by listing their names, and clubs. That should be interesting. grin

Gosh, it sounds do boring already embarassed

Lots of Yorubas in the NFL and usa college footballs too.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by modath(f): 5:37pm On Nov 17, 2015
IlekeHD:

Niger Delta didn't have the number.

My sis, there is no basis for comparison, hero had the shoeless sentiment & the whole PDP heavyweight working for him...

Forget an alliance between the SOUTH!! Pre 2015, it could have been a possibility, can't ever see it happen..

Nigeria needs to be unbundled cos the north sentiment is never going to fly...
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 5:38pm On Nov 17, 2015
modath:

My sis, there is no basis for comparison, hero had the shoeless sentiment & the whole PDP heavyweight working for him...

Forget an alliance between the SOUTH!! Pre 2015, it could have been a possibility, can't ever see it happen..

Nigeria needs to be unbundled cos the north sentiment is never going to fly...

Alliance? Stupid question, but would we really need South alliance to bring the power back to the South?

Oh yea, GEJ did have the SW/SE behind him huh.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 5:48pm On Nov 17, 2015
[size=18pt]Yorubas in north wants Fulani cattle rearers face-off resolve[/size]

BY NDAHI MARAMA, Maiduguri

The Yoruba Council of Obas in the 19 northern states and Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Abuja have advocated for an amicable resolution of the face-off between farmers in the southwest and Fulani cattle rearer over grazing activities.

Arising from its 5th Quarterly meeting in Abuja, the council implored the Ondo State government to resolve the Fulani Cattle rearers-farmers’ conflict to avoid spill over to the northern part of the country.

A communique signed by the council’s acting Chairman who is also Mai (Oba) of Yoruba in Borno, Alhaji Hassan Yusuf and Dr Alani Adeyemi, Oba Yoruba Gombi, made available to journalists in Maiduguri yesterday, it appealed to the Ondo State governor to use his experience in resolving the problem.

“We implore the Governor of Ondo State, Dr Olusegun Mimiko to use his good office to resolve the ongoing crisis between the Fulani Cattle rearers and farmers in the state amicably and quickly to avoid spill over effect,” the council said.

It advised non-indigenes living in the southwest states and north to abide by the rules and traditional laws of the state they reside. It also urged them to continue to live harmoniously and peacefully with their hosts.

The council commended President Mohammadu Buhari for what it described as his genuine efforts at addressing immediate needs of the country especially the fight against Boko Haram insurgency and other security challenges, calling for support from all Nigerians

@MayorOfLagos
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by modath(f): 5:51pm On Nov 17, 2015
IlekeHD:

Alliance? Stupid question, but would we really need South alliance to bring the power back to the South?

Oh yea, GEJ did have the SW/SE behind him huh.

Ileke, I wish we can stop dragging this back & forth, 2011, Turai had pissed off most southerners, the shoeless rhetoric was spellbinding & the "islamization" propaganda took it home for him...

It was tried in 2015 as well but people said Mba, fool me once, you can't fool me twice.

What do you think informed the choice of PYO? RCCG votes & nilling of the islamist toga.

My sis in law told me, PYO got APC her vote, said she wasn't planning to vote cos PMB is a muslim & hero is a major bleep up!! cheesy
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Osomalo(m): 5:56pm On Nov 17, 2015
IlekeHD:

Shouldn't we?

Some Yoruba politicians be waking up everyday with a smug on their face because we don't bash them. And nitori kini, if not to safe face.

There are some politicians I'll personally like to smack. Just give me an hour with Fayose and he'll come back to y'all like a good catholic boy.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Ilekeh, I don't know who's crazier between you and Des.ola.

Don't forget Fayose is area fada oooooo grin grin grin grin grin grin

I dey laugh.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by superstar1(m): 6:10pm On Nov 17, 2015
Osomalo:

I dey laugh.

Is she not Desola?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 6:12pm On Nov 17, 2015
superstar1:

Is she not Desola?

Desola is in Lagos and knows a lot about Lagos, I'm not and my knowledge of Lagos is limited.

grin grin grin

Osomalo:

I dey laugh.

Area fada, okay.

I'll show him area whip for his area flogging.

By the time I'm done with him, he will be talking in perimeter.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by raumdeuter: 6:14pm On Nov 17, 2015
IlekeHD:

I really think we should find a way to minimize the North's political weight and to bring the power back to the South [be it [size=18pt]SE[/size]/SS/SW]. A region with no added value shouldn't have so much power.

See as you spoil everything with the bold
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 6:16pm On Nov 17, 2015
I think coolitempa might be Desola's new ID. Just my speculation.

raumdeuter:
See as you spoil everything with the bold

Lol e pkele. But the South is the South.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Katsumoto: 6:17pm On Nov 17, 2015
Gbawe:

Katsumoto, your argument is by far the more simple and populists, for the sake of it alone, because you don't seem to understand the rudiments of SW politics and simply postulate that its current crop of leaders are "failures". For example you claimed earlier that Amosun, Ambode et al are failures. How can Ambode who has been a governor for around 6 months be deemed a failure by any reasonable person? How is Amosun a failure for anyone who is truly conversant with the many achievement that has seen him praised universally? You then claim I use George, burji Kashamu as a benchmark. This is highly dishonest and I resent it. in fact this is why I avoided your posts earlier even when I saw the huge flaw in thinking and interpretation behind them. For the avoidance of doubt, and for those who read my posta nd understand it, it is 100% I stated that but for Tinubu, it is George, kashamu et al who will hold sway because everyone truly conversant with SW politics know that grassroot issues heavily favour the emergence of those sort as Yoruba leaders.

katsumoto, this is more shameless dishonesty and another entirely false interpretation that is simply incongruous with what I wrote. It is crystal clear to everyone I never insulted Soyinka, Fawenhinmi et al. Imerely sought to show that even as these men of integrity never hid they simply did not have the political or grassroot skills/connection that would have propelled them into influential political positions. My posts are still here and I really don't know why, how and for what reasons you have come to these grossly erroneous conclusions. I can only assume gbawe is the bad guy on this threas and opposing/twisting anything he says pays dividends with the likes of Shymmex.

forumers help me judge and speak up for what is right and fair. Where and how did I sully the name of Soyinka, fawenhinmi below? i really don't like this brand of open dishonesty and playing to the gallery. It should not be coming from you Katsumoto.

First, I never stated that you insulted the said men of honour; I stated that you sully their names. And I posit that you do so because you want to elevate or defend Tinubu. On this thread alone, you have mentioned their names severally. Why is that? Like I stated earlier, Fawehinmi, Soyinka, Solarin PROVIDED a social conscience for the nation at great risks to their lives, health, well being, finances. To reduce them to failed politicians to make a point is what I refer to as 'sully'. See below for one of several posts you made mentioning their names.

Gbawe:

@OP

Can you eschew idealism and give us an honest answer to these questions? What became of the political careers of Tai Solarin, Gani Fawehinmi, Wole Soyinka et al? I.e men of unimpeachable characters that the people would still not follow politically? Is political clout in Nigeria about being a saint? Can you form a new Party and get Yorubas to follow you because of your angelic profile alone? Trying to state things politely here, albeit opposite to the view of others, should not routinely be met by Fayose-style intolerance and lack of decorum. Why? Are you not the OP who should neutrally insist on tolerance and the cessation of talk from some that makes them feel they are more Yoruba than others and are somehow more entitled than others to speak on this your thread? Is that what we Yorubas are about?

Second, you do use Kashamu and other PDP rogues as a benchmark because you continue to remind us that without Tinubu, these would be the men in power. And like I stated earlier, it would be better to use other better indices which show the improvement in the lives of the people as benchmarks. When Obama supporters want to defend Obama's record, they point to GDP today as against when he came to power, they point to inflation, price of gas, teenage pregnancy, unemployment stats, etc. They don't tell us that if Obama didn't win, McCain would be president. It is better to use positives for benchmarking. Why focus on the bad?

Third, that some political pigs want the entire political field to be a pigsty doesn't mean the rest of society has to accept it. This is where I disagree with you. I don't care for George, Kashamu, Daniel, OBJ and other PDP goons because they should never be the standards for governance. I may not be on the ground in Nigeria but I know what good governance is and know the drivers for good governance.

Fourth, grass root politics is no more than 'stomach infrastructure' politics. It is a dirty way of controlling politics. It is a feudal type system. The peasants report to an area father who in turn pledges loyalty to godfather. People can't make their own decisions because they have to be subservient and obedient to someone higher in the hierarchy. Is this what learned and reasonable people should be promoting and defending? Shouldn't we be discussing ways to dismantle this archaic, unjust, corrupt, and unproductive system?

Lastly, I am sorry but I have zero energy for negativity. I prefer to focus on what can be achieved and not what is real because our realities in this world is what we choose it to be. In addition, let us do away with name calling just because we have disagreements. I have disagreed many times with Dayo, Shymexx, etc but it is always respectful.

Please ignore any typos.

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 6:23pm On Nov 17, 2015
I'm surprised I never responded to some comments tho

Anyhow sha e don pass

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Gbawe: 6:24pm On Nov 17, 2015
Katsumoto:

First, I never stated that you insulted the said men of honour; I stated that you sully their names. And I posit that you do so because you want to elevate or defend Tinubu. On this thread alone, you have mentioned their names severally. Why is that? Like I stated earlier, Fawehinmi, Soyinka, Solarin PROVIDED a social conscience for the nation at great risks to their lives, health, well being, finances. To reduce them to failed politicians to make a point is what I refer to as 'sully'. See below for one of several posts you made mentioning their names.

Second, you do use Kashamu and other PDP rogues as a benchmark because you continue to remind us that without Tinubu, these would be the men in power. And like I stated earlier, it would be better to use other better indices which show the improvement in the lives of the people as benchmarks. When Obama supporters want to defend Obama's record, they point to GDP today as against when he came to power, they point to inflation, price of gas, teenage pregnancy, unemployment stats, etc. They don't tell us that if Obama didn't win, McCain would be president. It is better to use positives for benchmarking. Why focus on the bad?

Third, that some political pigs want the entire political field to be a pigsty doesn't mean the rest of society has to accept it. This is where I disagree with you. I don't care for George, Kashamu, Daniel, OBJ and other PDP goons because they should never be the standards for governance. I may not be on the ground in Nigeria but I know what good governance is and know the drivers for good governance.

Fourth, grass root politics is no more than 'stomach infrastructure' politics. It is a dirty way of controlling politics. It is a feudal type system. The peasants report to an area father who in turn pledges loyalty to godfather. People can't make their own decisions because they have to be subservient and obedient to someone higher in the hierarchy. Is this what learned and reasonable people should be promoting and defending? Shouldn't we be discussing ways to dismantle this archaic, unjust, corrupt, and unproductive system?

Lastly, I am sorry but I have zero energy for negativity. I prefer to focus on what can be achieved and not what is real because our realities in this world is what we choose it to be. In addition, let us do away with name calling just because we have disagreements. I have disagreed many times with Dayo, Shymexx, etc but it is always respectful.

Please ignore any typos.

Katsumoto, I have no time for your pedantism. Either apologise or stay in your lane. That is a simple enough request. The meaning of sully is shown below and no spin can convince fair-minded Nairalanders I did anything to justify you using the word. I also did not make Buruji et al "benchmarks" of leadership as you claim. Anyway, let us leave issues and face the thread. I really don't care for any back and forth.

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=sully%20meaning

sully
ˈsʌli/Submit
verbliterary
damage the purity or integrity of.
"they were outraged that anyone should sully their good name"
synonyms: taint, defile, soil, tarnish, stain, blemish, besmirch, befoul, contaminate, pollute, spoil, mar, spot, make impure, disgrace, dishonour, injure, damage
"he never sullied his lips with swear words"
make dirty.
"she wondered if she dared sully the gleaming sink"

http://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/sully

sully

To sully is to attack someone's good name and to try to ruin his reputation.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Katsumoto: 6:24pm On Nov 17, 2015
raumdeuter:

When I said there is a difference between idealism and reality this puts it clearly.

Reality is that Buruji, Daniels and Bode George are present and ready to pounce on power if Tinubu is off the stage. PDP, Buruju are no bogeymen they are the reality of our time. They exist. Oyo State was ruled by Akala, and Teslim Folarin, Lagos state was going to be ruled by Obanikoro, Kashamu rules Ogun, Fayose rules Ekiti

Fawehinmi actually went into politics, How did he fare there? Did he win a single LGA out of over 700 in Nigeria

Tai Solarin was given People's Bank to handle how did that experiment end?

Wole Soyinka was put in charge of FRSC, How did that end?

And about the Saraki swipe, I dont think that takes anything away from Tinubu. Awolowo had people who didnt buy into his ideology and actually sent Awo to jail without being able to achieve his goal

Dayo

Reality is what you make it to be. People deserve better than those you mentioned.

Gani went into politics because there was a vacuum of credible leaders. Soyinka and Solarin had posts; not quite the same thing.

Losing out to Saraki exposed Tinubu greatly. It showed that Tinubu is no more than a local champion. It was embarrassing to be schooled in that manner.

I don't want to get into Awo with you for obvious reasons. You are an Akintola. We both know where we stand; so I will leave that alone.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by coolitempa(f): 6:27pm On Nov 17, 2015
IlekeHD:
I think coolitempa might be Desola's new ID. Just my speculation.

Lol e pkele. But the South is the South.

Hahahahahaha....... wink wink wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgxdSNgamSc
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 6:28pm On Nov 17, 2015
Katsumoto:

Dayo

Reality is what you make it to be. People deserve better than those you mentioned.

Gani went into politics because there was a vacuum of credible leaders. Soyinka and Solarin had posts; not quite the same thing.

Losing out to Saraki exposed Tinubu greatly. It showed that Tinubu is no more than a local champion. It was embarrassing to be schooled in that manner.

I don't want to get into Awo with you for obvious reasons. You are an Akintola. We both know where we stand; so I will leave that alone.

Is this really katsumoto? Where have been? Long time.
Nice to see you here again.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Katsumoto: 6:29pm On Nov 17, 2015
superstar1:

You should realise that the ideologies of the 2 men are different. Awo was a socialist, which is a typical yoruba structural orientation and ideology while Tinubu is a capitalist to the core.

The difference in ideology explains the achievements of both politically and in terms of visible development.

Will it have been possible for Awo to achieve some of his welfarist and socialist ideologies in modern times? I strongly doubt it.

Will Tinubu have gotten away with his imperialistic capitalist tendencies in the contemporary times of Awo? Capital N and O.

Why can't socialist ideologies survive today? I am a capitalist but I believe that ALL countries with free mineral resources should have socialist programs simply because free money will be stolen or mismanaged.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 6:29pm On Nov 17, 2015
Aigbofa:

Is this really katsumoto? Where have been? Long time.
Nice to see you here again.

Katsumoto's head don swell o. Na wa.

(1) (2) (3) ... (236) (237) (238) (239) (240) (241) (242) ... (384) (Reply)

Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. / Enugu, The Pride Of The East.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.