Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,944 members, 7,814,195 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:52 AM

Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics - Politics (274) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics (668198 Views)

OPC - Faseun & Adams Unite For Security Of Yoruba Commonwealth / SEUN - Re: Yoruba-commonwealth-politics / Goodluck Jonathan Returns From Commonwealth Assignment (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (271) (272) (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) ... (384) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:31pm On Nov 20, 2015
interloper:

I wouldn't put it down to a yoruba "faux pas" per se . . . .but we have heard one too many of our friends, neighbours, relatives and siblings whilst growing up "subtly" complain about a typical yoruba parents attitude towards child discipline, child psychologist will let us believe if you provide both emotional and psychological support to kids at an early age in discovering their innate talent especially in sports, this helps to bring the best out of them and they go on to being an happy and healthy citizen and much more!!!

Much as this support is not there for the asking . . . . . me think over parenting killed many yoruba parents in this regard, whilst other tribes parentally (for want of a better word to say) . . . . permit their kids to have a kinda "free range" upbringing and as such they can roam around the neighbourhood with the peers and they might just b lucky to discover a sporting activities they might love and get interested in, i know in their eyes the parents were looking out for us and want us t be the best, but really the best comes in different jobs and skills and not necessary from being a white collar worker . . . . .sighs

But to some extent we (yoruba kids) were constantly reminded the path to being a doctor or a lawyer ain't thru football then hahaha . . . . .guess we know better now.

Yeah i agree to some extent ain't an exclusive yoruba thing but this over parenting more rampant within our ethnic subset

True talk! but i still believe the difference between Yoruba parents and parents from other tribes as regards their attitude to

these professions (music/football) isn't much
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by interloper(m): 3:33pm On Nov 20, 2015
MayorofLagos:

Not to digress from the point under discussion but you recall in 2008/2009 some American banks and corporations were classified as "too big to fail" and given Govt protection against market forces.

Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey are also in the bracket of American institutions that will never be allowed to fail.

In Europe and South America Soccer is more than just being called a sport!

A food vendor alone with a concession contract to supply food and refreshments at a major soccer or baseball game will take home about $10,000...this about 6,000 pounds sterling.

We do not yet operate our sports on that scale. We did not have a cinema flavor that has appeal around the globe twenty years ago. Until very recently we did not have a music genre that plays on airwaves round the globe, until recently. No doubt, whatever we touch in Nigeria turns to gold!. European teams will continue to recruit our players, so there is a open channel...wide open for seeding and developing sports in Nigeria as a big money maker.

When that day comes, one of the many ethnic groups in Nigeria would wield the power and occupy decision making. Which group would it be?

Let me reference Segun Odegbami commenting not long ago that a lot of people who he believes were fans of Orji Uzor Kalu, his competition for post of FIFA President, would prefer a foreigner is given the position if Kalu did not get it.

Sports has, in a way, become instrument of political negotiation. We cannot afford not to be the decision makers for mega sports wealth in Nigeria

i fully subscribe to your assertion that sports has become an instrument of political negotiation and am not too taken aback by Segun Odegbami's comment that instead of him being elected as FIFA president, a certain school(s) of thought(s) would rather that it's best be given to a foreigner . . . . .i really wish i can laugh but just brings to bare again what a divisive and vindictive society we come from. . . . . smh sadly
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ritchiee: 3:33pm On Nov 20, 2015
IyaIode:
When we are done with sports, i want to talk about terrorism, radicalisation and extremism in the SW.

Its no news that anywhere you find muslims in large numbers, the above is a worry ( i am muslim BTW).

I know Lagos State government has a firm grip on who becomes Imam in every mosque including private ones. I hope other SW states are coping this model, we already have a case of the knive holding BRITISH boy with a Yoruba name, we have also read about DSS operation against boko haram affiliate group in kogi (next door neighbor).

We don't want our kids getting radicalised, i hope DAWN or whoever is incharge is seriously taking this up.
Of course, the overwhelming majority of Muslims are not terrorists or sympathetic to terrorists. Equating all Muslims with terrorism is wrong. But acknowledging that there is a link between Islam and terror is appropriate and very baffling.

But there's one thing we must all be clear about: terrorism is not the pursuit of legitimate goals by some sort of illegitimate means and terrorism has no nationality or religion.

Whatever the murderers may be trying to achieve, creating a better world certainly isn't one of their goals. Instead they are out to murder innocent people.
As much as one shares your fears because of the large number of muslims in the SW,I think an average Yoruba man has this live and let live attitude and would rather try to convince you to follow his or her faith and if you say,NO...he leaves you to your destiny.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by laudate: 3:35pm On Nov 20, 2015
IlekeHD:
Lol oya come and share the collection with me.

This girl, you might as well be Yoruba.

Girl, ke??!! shocked shocked Haba!!
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:36pm On Nov 20, 2015
MayorofLagos:

If home econs becomes the currency of power across the globe, by God, Im Aceing it!

grin grin cheesy cheesy

Looool you go wait tire.Football will never be surpassed in Nigeria
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 3:37pm On Nov 20, 2015
MayorofLagos:
grin cheesy

Let me go tell her you are upset she has not shown up here in two days.

oloshi your wahala is too much.

ika agbaya grin

laudate:

Girl, ke??!! shocked shocked Haba!!

Girl ke kini?

Sharing is caring. I will just help you make space in your closet by taking all your ebenezer obey cds [or whatever they called it back in the days].

Thank you kiss kiss
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:41pm On Nov 20, 2015
Boundary roads in Osun state

Gbongan-Odeyinka-Orile-Owu-Ajegunle

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by MayorofLagos(m): 3:43pm On Nov 20, 2015
IlekeHD:

oloshi your wahala is too much.

ika agbaya grin

Girl ke kini?

Sharing is caring. I will just help you make space in your closet by taking all your ebenezer obey cds [or whatever they called it back in the days].

Thank you kiss kiss

Im the most quiet and reserved person out of every one you can find if you combed the entire 275 pages of the thread. Im a lover, not a troublemaker. wink
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Theflint1(m): 3:43pm On Nov 20, 2015
Shymm3x:

Why did you omit Obafemi Martins and Yakubu? Most people don't even know how good Martins used to be...the guy just never fulfilled his real potentials. Martins ought to have been greater than Drogba and Eto on the African all time great list - he was that good. I guess the fact that he was too distracted in trying to be "cool" and "hiphop" - and I think the death of his mum also messed him up.

I followed his career from Inter when he had that break-out season as a teenager, in the Seria A and Champions league - that was when Inter Milan was my favourite team on Pro Evo. I believe he's also the only Nigerian player to have ever made the list of the best young footballers in the world. And he was top-5 on that list.

I had the opportunity to watch him play live for Nigeria with my pops in 2004 against Ireland. I think that was his first game for Nigeria. This guy scored one of the most brilliant solo goals I have ever seen - similar to the one George Weah scored. He took the ball from his own half and went past players - before slotting in a brilliant goal.

Also, don't forget all the brilliant goals he scored in the EPL, despite the lack of support. That is my guy.

Yakubu was decent as well. Though he's more of a journeyman but you can't deny his record. He'll always be Harry Redknapp's guy lol.
Yakubu is Edo
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 3:48pm On Nov 20, 2015
CabbieAC:
Ilekehd you are simply the best wink
I can't help myself. I'll tone down the awesomeness.

MayorofLagos:

Im the most quiet and reserved person out of every one you can find if you combed the entire 275 pages of the thread. Im a lover, not a troublemaker. wink

I will keep praying sad

Most quiet and reserved? I give that title to Katsumoto smiley tongue
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:49pm On Nov 20, 2015
[size=13pt]Nelson Mandela Freedom Park, Osogbo[/size]

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by MayorofLagos(m): 3:51pm On Nov 20, 2015
CabbieAC:

grin grin cheesy cheesy

Looool you go wait tire.Football will never be surpassed in Nigeria

I agree. We must not continue to commit same error over and over. No one denies Ogunde is father of cinema and theatrical play in Nigeria...but going by our record in theater and plays and cinema why is Yoruba not the decision maker in that industry? Many of our actors and actresses are complaining of marginalization. This means another group is the mainstream of Nollywood.

Right?

Aare, You raise good topics for discussion. grin
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by MayorofLagos(m): 3:54pm On Nov 20, 2015
IlekeHD:

I can't help myself. I'll tone down the awesomeness.

I will keep praying sad

Most quiet and reserved? I give that title to Katsumoto smiley tongue

Whatt!! You gonna make me sharpen my sword! angry
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:54pm On Nov 20, 2015
Ritchiee:
Of course, the overwhelming majority of Muslims are not terrorists or sympathetic to terrorists. Equating all Muslims with terrorism is wrong. But acknowledging that there is a link between Islam and terror is appropriate and very baffling.

But there's one thing we must all be clear about: terrorism is not the pursuit of legitimate goals by some sort of illegitimate means and terrorism has no nationality or religion.

Whatever the murderers may be trying to achieve, creating a better world certainly isn't one of their goals. Instead they are out to murder innocent people.
As much as one shares your fears because of the large number of muslims in the SW, I think an average Yoruba man has this live and let live attitude and would rather try to convince you to follow his or her faith and if you say,NO...he leaves you to your destiny.
I hope it continues to stay that way, i hope the authorities are on top of their game regarding this. I will like to see other states follow the Lagos model.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:55pm On Nov 20, 2015
MayorofLagos:

I agree. We must not continue to commit same error over and over. No one denies Ogunde is father of cinema and theatrical play in Nigeria...but going by our record in theater and plays and cinema why is Yoruba not the decision maker in that industry? Many of our actors and actresses are complaining of marginalization. This means another group is the mainstream of Nollywood.

Right?

Aare, You raise good topics for discussion. grin

Abi now.

Na Professor Shymm3x raise the topic ooo grin
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by laudate: 3:56pm On Nov 20, 2015
tupacshakur:
Hey Candy! What a name. You must be sweet, no doubt.

...trust your day's going on smoothly.

My Nairaland Homie, Shymm3x thinks we would be compatible. I skimmed through your past posts and I noticed we have a mutual interest. wink Shymm3x must be right.

Can we be friends for a start? I mean real good friends.

Hehehe....I thought this thread was about Yoruba Commonwealth, not how to toast a babe and find a wife!! Oya, continue....we are all ears. If you need back up on this romantic journey, please do not hesitate to call us!
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:57pm On Nov 20, 2015
CabbieAC:
Boundary roads in Osun state

Gbongan-Odeyinka-Orile-Owu-Ajegunle

Is this a federal or state government project
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 3:58pm On Nov 20, 2015
MayorofLagos:

Whatt!! You gonna make me sharpen my sword! angry

sad sad sad Please do. Let's get some samurai action in here.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ritchiee: 3:58pm On Nov 20, 2015
interloper:

i fully subscribe to your assertion that sports has become an instrument of political negotiation and am not too taken aback by Segun Odegbami's comment that instead of him being elected as FIFA president, a certain school(s) of thought(s) would rather that it's best be given to a foreigner . . . . .i really wish i can laugh but just brings to bare again what a divisive and vindictive society we come from. . . . . smh sadly
Below is a list of Top 20 football families that have played for the National team in the past 50 years and this list says a lot about who plays for Nigeria one time or the other.How many yorubas are there from the outset?The only major tribe that had always had more representatives in the football thingy in Nigeria had been the S/easterners and the only tribe that could give them a run for their money was and had long been cut out of the action through football politics...

Patrick Okala, Emmanuel Okala
Cyril Okosieme, Ndubuisi Okosieme, Nkiru Okosieme:
Emmanuel Amuneke, Kevin Onyekachi Amuneke, Kingsley Amuneke
Sunday Oliseh, Azubuike Oliseh
Albert Yobo, Joseph Yobo
Dickson Paul Etuhu, Kelvin Etuhu
Kalu Uche, Ikechukwu Uche
Celestine Babayaro, Emmanuel Babayaro
Nwankwo Kanu, Christopher Ogbonnaya Kanu
Tijani Babangida, Ibrahim Babangida, Haruna Babangida
Efe Sodje, Sam Sodje, Akpo Sodje, Onome Sodje
Emma Okocha,Austin Okocha
Clement Temile, Omonigho Temile, Frank Temile
Willy Bazuaye, Baudwin Bazuaye, Daddy Bazuaye
Wilson Oruma, Dominic Oruma, Johnson Oruma
Tarila Okorowanta, Bernard Okorowanta
Emeka Onyedika, Ifeanyi Onyedika
Wole Odegbami, Segun Odegbami
Femi Olukanmi, Segun Olukanmi

John Utaka, Peter Utaka
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 4:00pm On Nov 20, 2015
9jacrip:
Eyin temi, especially Aunty Ilekeh, I am still in Ibadan but I've passed word to folks in that axis (Osun State University campus in Ejigbo) to get me photos of the building.

Okay...thanks for the heads up.

And good luck with everything else.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 4:01pm On Nov 20, 2015
IyaIode kilode ti eru se n bayin grin cheesy

Ko si waala jor! It can't happen in the south-west

The most ardent Yoruba muslims are salafis.Awon oni sokoto penpe grin grin

I don't even think there are extremist Islamic scholars in the south-west and even if there are

You think a Yoruba man will strap bombs to his body and blow himself up?

If I hear? We wey like owanbe pass anything grin grin

The problem with the muslims in the north is Ignorance
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 4:02pm On Nov 20, 2015
IyaIode:

Is this a federal or state government project

I think its state
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by MayorofLagos(m): 4:05pm On Nov 20, 2015
IyaIode:
When we are done with sports, i want to talk about terrorism, radicalisation and extremism in the SW.

Its no news that anywhere you find muslims in large numbers, the above is a worry ( i am muslim BTW).

I know Lagos State government has a firm grip on who becomes Imam in every mosque including private ones. I hope other SW states are coping this model, we already have a case of the knive holding BRITISH boy with a Yoruba name, we have also read about DSS operation against boko haram affiliate group in kogi (next door neighbor).

We don't want our kids getting radicalised, i hope DAWN or whoever is incharge is seriously taking this up.

Iyalode,
In backdrop to your concern, how would you categorize OPC in its early years?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 4:06pm On Nov 20, 2015
Township roads in Osun state

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 4:08pm On Nov 20, 2015
CabbieAC:
IyaIode kilode ti eru se n bayin grin cheesy

Ko si waala jor! It can't happen in the south-west

The most ardent Yoruba muslims are salafis.Awon oni sokoto penpe grin grin

I don't even think there are extremist Islamic scholars in the south-west and even if there are

You think a Yoruba man will strap bombs to his body and blow himself up?

If I hear? We wey like owanbe pass anything grin grin

The problem with the north is Ignorance
I remember we used to that Nigerians love the good things of life than to strap on a suicide vest till boko haram happened.

We should not let our guard down
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 4:10pm On Nov 20, 2015
CabbieAC:

I think its state
Not bad
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 4:11pm On Nov 20, 2015
MayorofLagos:

Iyalode,
In backdrop to your concern, how would you categorize OPC in its early years?

Mayor in what context? I am bit lost here
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by MayorofLagos(m): 4:13pm On Nov 20, 2015
IlekeHD:

sad sad sad Please do. Let's get some samurai action in here.

Look who is calling me a troublemaker. Yeye cheesy

My double edged sword is designed to decapitate a fulani in its forward thrust....and a yanmiri in its recoil swing.

It does not hunt for Yoruba blood so katz is safe. ...unless he brings that kiriji nonsense down here to rabble rouse Lagos.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by MayorofLagos(m): 4:14pm On Nov 20, 2015
Aare,
The stop sign in that picture, whats the function?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by laudate: 4:15pm On Nov 20, 2015
CabbieAC:
Saw some Yorubas marking register on biafran threads even after the sermons we delivered.9jacrip what exactly can we do to help these guys? This wan don pass wetin eye see oo

Tevinsolt I might have to be posting this your comment on every page ooo.Ha!

Egbon, I beg allow anybody from any non-Igbo tribe (whether he is Efik, Gwari, Edo, Sayyawa, Nupe, Bachama, Kanuri or Yoruba) continue to mark register on any Biafra thread. Do you know why?? shocked The minute any event is posted or any thread is opened, if such an event is unfavourable to their tribe or critical of their Biafran cause, they immediately launch ad hominem attacks and hate-filled propaganda speeches, in the direction of other non-Igbo tribes without provocation, irrespective of the fact that such ethnic groups have nothing to do with their current woes! They curse those non-Igbo tribes, and accuse them of every sin under the sun! shocked

Anyone who disagrees with their point of view must be Yoruba, any South-South or ND person who does not subscribe to their Biafra crusade is a saboteur, a coward or a lazy drunkard! Anyone who does not dance to their drumbeat of war, is a colonial slave!! Haba, na wetin??

Of course, since nobody has a monopoly on hate and rancour, people from those non-Igbo groups respond to them in kind! Abi na who be mumu??! angry

If rebuttals are not issued, any reader that stumbles on their vitriol may think it is a factual account, or the true state of events, and may go away believing their comments are correct. Before we know it, their propaganda would have been taken as fact, rumour would have become legend and ethnic stereotyping would have a field day.

There is a need to counter their neurotic submissions, and believe me I would not stop anyone who chooses to do so! sad

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 4:16pm On Nov 20, 2015
More of Osun state

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by MayorofLagos(m): 4:19pm On Nov 20, 2015
IyaIode:

Mayor in what context? I am bit lost here

What role should we attribute to a movement that carries shot guns, doube barrels and are unstoppable by the police?

(1) (2) (3) ... (271) (272) (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) ... (384) (Reply)

Nairaland Says No To Secessionists / Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.