Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,026 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:25 PM

Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics - Politics (52) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics (668892 Views)

OPC - Faseun & Adams Unite For Security Of Yoruba Commonwealth / SEUN - Re: Yoruba-commonwealth-politics / Goodluck Jonathan Returns From Commonwealth Assignment (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) ... (384) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 6:22pm On Oct 26, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
How come the Alake of Egbaland has the most pictures on Google,he must have been really famous.Maybe that's the person our 'sexy' Governor is trying to emulate

lmaoooooo @that picture
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by teamchocolate: 6:26pm On Oct 26, 2015
You Crack me up everytime with this meme... so hilarious grin grin

CabbieAC:

Thank you very much for your contributions Sir,May Chukwu abiama bless you.You can now....

[img]http://niketalk.com/content/type/61/id/545358/width/350/height/700/flags/LL[/img]

Thank You
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 6:30pm On Oct 26, 2015
IlekeHD:

A while ago when NL debated historical facts and not beer parlor nonsense like Biafra, I learned that Islam came to Yorubaland before it spread to the North, but Yorubas were reluctant recipients of the religion. It was quickly absorbed by the North.

So Ijebus are smart people after all lol.

I think once I was able to decide, even though I was confused between personal decision and family obligations, I chose atheism. It took me a while to stand up for myself and what I want. It's hard to be an atheist in a Christian home, but my family tries to be tolerant. TRIES.

Islam was in Yorubaland way before Uthman Fodio and his Fulani jihadists started their madness. It came during Songhay empire and Yorubas did trade with them.

Heck, there were a few Yoruba Islamic scholars back them. I remember the thread you're alluding to and I did post a few academic references of the Yoruba Islamic scholars who actually traveled to Songhay.

Ijebus have always been smart. If not, how do you think my folks were able to monopolise the coast of Lagos for a long time, without a navy? And Ijebus did trade all the way to present day Bayelsa/Rivers. Heck, the traditional clothes the Nembe Ijaw folks of Rivers wear - the tortoise cloth - is an Ijebu cloth. And I'm sure you know that the Itsekiris are mostly Ijebus.

Check this out:

Governor Seriake Dickson of Bayelsa State visits Awujale’s Palace, traces root to Fidipote family

GOVERNOR Seriake Dickson of Bayelsa State yesterday paid a courtesy visit to the Awujale of Ijebuland, in Ogun State, Oba Sikiru Adetona, saying he is related to the Fidipote Ruling House of Ijebuland.

The governor who was accompanied by some members of his family and commissioners arrived the Awujale’s Palace at 12: 23pm.

http://thenationonlineng.net/dickson-visits-awujales-palace-traces-root-fidipote-family/

Lmao at atheism. I'm not an atheist. I'm still technically a Christian - though I don't go to Church (except for family things). I believe in God, the most high. I don't know who he/she is but I believe a higher being lives inside of me and someone is definitely watching over me. I don't know if this person/being is attached to any religion - but there's a supreme being out there somewhere that looks like me with the same complexion.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Jarus(m): 6:33pm On Oct 26, 2015
IlekeHD:

lol Jarus is the only one I remember.

Oyb
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 6:34pm On Oct 26, 2015
teamchocolate:
You Crack me up everytime with this meme... so hilarious grin grin

My father taught me to always make visitors comfortable cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 6:34pm On Oct 26, 2015
Jarus:

Oyb

You call yourself a northern Yoruba, which state would that be?

What happened to oyb cry cry
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by modath(f): 6:35pm On Oct 26, 2015
IlekeHD:

It's easier that way, to make them assume you're a guy.

Nigerian men are misogynist.

I'm active on preggy & mama threads & know some MOFOs will claim I be transgender, liar & all other names when they catch feelings, so I just clear it up quick!! smiley

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 6:37pm On Oct 26, 2015
IlekeHD:

It's easier that way, to make them assume you're a guy.

Nigerian men are misogynist.

[img]http://4.bp..com/-VtzXySViih4/VevpC4aWqgI/AAAAAAAATvs/HPGApCKVElw/s1600/okay-i-see.gif[/img]
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 6:38pm On Oct 26, 2015
ProfShymex:

Islam was in Yorubaland way before Uthman Fodio and his Fulani jihadists started their madness. It came during Songhay empire and Yorubas did trade with them.

Heck, there were a few Yoruba Islamic scholars back them. I remember the thread you're alluding to and I did post a few academic references of the Yoruba Islamic scholars who actually traveled to Songhay.

Ijebus have always been smart. If not, how do you think my folks were able to monopolise the coast of Lagos for a long time, without a navy? And Ijebus did trade all the way to present day Bayelsa/Rivers. Heck, the traditional clothes the Nembe Ijaw folks of Rivers wear - the tortoise cloth - is an Ijebu cloth. And I'm sure you know that the Itsekiris are mostly Ijebus.

Check this out:

Lmao at atheism. I'm not an atheist. I'm still technically a Christian - though I don't go to Church (except for family things). I believe in God, the most high. I don't know who he/she is but I believe a higher being lives inside of me and someone is definitely watching over me. I don't know if this person/being is attached to any religion - but there's a supreme being out there somewhere that looks like me with the same complexion.

Cool history.

I remember what my mom said about Ijebu people grin grin

If I want to believe in a higher being, I'll choose the protectors of my native land.........we call it Yoruba mythology, but they were more than mythology to our people back then. They were our religion. Infact, Christianity, like Islam, is filled with mythological "facts".
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Jarus(m): 6:43pm On Oct 26, 2015
IlekeHD:

You call yourself a northern Yoruba, which state would that be?

What happened to oyb cry cry

I mentioned oyb as another popular Kwaran here.

Yes, I'm a Yoruba and a northerner. Kwara is officially North.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 6:47pm On Oct 26, 2015
Jarus:

Ok....
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 6:48pm On Oct 26, 2015
Oba Gbadebo I, Alake of Egbaland (1892-1920 fifth from left) with his Chiefs and British colonial administrator

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 6:51pm On Oct 26, 2015
Jarus:

Let them know brother! In local parlance we say "Dem no dey beg sh!t make e smell" cheesy grin
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 6:55pm On Oct 26, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Let them know brother! In local parlance we say "Dem no dey beg sh!t make e smell" cheesy grin

Lol I've jejely left the case o.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by laudate: 6:56pm On Oct 26, 2015
ProfShymex:
I believe two of Oduduwa's children - Ketu and Sabe - settled in present day Republic du Benin and Togo. So a sizable populations of those countries should be Yorubas. Then you have the Fon admixture...and since Fon folks were under Oyo for a long time - we'll always be cousins.

Interesting! I remember my friend telling me that the dialect of the Cotonou traders was very different, from the central Yoruba spoken in Lagos. But he could still hold a conversation with them as the language is practically the same, even though parts of their dialect were a bit hard to decode. cheesy
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 6:56pm On Oct 26, 2015
IlekeHD:

Cool history.

I remember what my mom said about Ijebu people grin grin

If I want to believe in a higher being, I'll choose the protectors of my native land.........we call it Yoruba mythology, but they were more than mythology to our people back then. They were our religion. Infact, Christianity, like Islam, is filled with mythological "facts".

Bwahahaha

I know ya Ekiti and Ondo folks have no love for Ijebus...even Ijeshas who're very similar to Ijebus. grin

I understand why Ekitis and Ijeshas would feel a certain way due to bad blood from the past. But Ondo is a mystery. And I believe Ondo, especially Owo, are culturally similar to Ijebus in a lot of ways. Heck, even Owo and Ijebu arts share a lot of similarities. Then you have the Ilaje folks who're also similar to Ijebu waterside culturally.

Yoruba mythology does believe in a higher being. I don't know much about Ifa - but from the little I've read, the nucleus is about "Eleda" and "Ori inu". And those two right there are about a higher being. Yes, I'm also not a fan of foreign religions - Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduism et al...but I know there's a supreme being.

Personally, I don't even think I'm meant to be alive today cos I've been in a lot of situations where I should be been dead time ago (when I was younger and wild as fvck) - but something/someone miraculously kept me alive. And even sometimes whenever I self-destruct, there's always something/someone out there that puts me back in line to continue my journey in life. So who am I to disown the supreme being? That's what I always tell my darg who's an atheist...the whole atheism thing is Un-African and it's a new trick by white folks to enslave the souls and spirits of black people. Don't fall for the scam - there's a supreme being. grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 7:00pm On Oct 26, 2015
Oba Adesoji Aderemi

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by laudate: 7:03pm On Oct 26, 2015
IlekeHD:

Ok....

wink We just dey talk am now.... cheesy
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by WIZGUY69(m): 7:04pm On Oct 26, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
Oba Gbadebo I, Alake of Egbaland (1892-1920 fifth from left) with his Chiefs and British colonial administrator

is the Alake the overall king of present day Ogun or only egbaland? I don't really understand that matter. wink
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 7:05pm On Oct 26, 2015
laudate:

Interesting! I remember my friend telling me that the dialect of the Cotonou traders was very different, from the central Yoruba spoken in Lagos. But he could still hold a conversation with them as the language is practically the same, even though parts of their dialect were a bit hard to decode. cheesy

Honestly, I don't know much about Yoruba dialects and I believe the common Yoruba in Nigeria is the Oyo dialect since that was the dialect used in writing standard Nigerian Yoruba. And since they're not in Nigeria, whatever dialect they speak will be different. Coupled with the fact that they also speak french.

Maybe, those who under Yoruba dialects and linguistics can shed more light on the Yoruba they speak there, by comparing the dialects of the towns Oduduwa's children founded, just to get a proper understanding of what their dialect would sound like.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by laudate: 7:05pm On Oct 26, 2015
Are there any pictures or info on the Olowo of Owo, Sir Olateru-Olagbegi?? Heard he was quite famous, too. wink
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 7:06pm On Oct 26, 2015
WIZGUY69:

is the Alake the overall king of present day Ogun or only egbaland? I don't really understand that matter. wink

Overall king ke! Its just egbaland.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by WIZGUY69(m): 7:06pm On Oct 26, 2015
After Ogun state which state have the highest number of billionaire?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 7:07pm On Oct 26, 2015
Oba Olateru Olagbegi II, the Olowo of Owo

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by laudate: 7:07pm On Oct 26, 2015
WIZGUY69:

Erm, I heard there are three kings in Egba land - one from Yewa? and another from Gbagura, I think?? Am not really sure.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 7:08pm On Oct 26, 2015
ProfShymex:

Bwahahaha

I know ya Ekiti and Ondo folks have no love for Ijebus...even Ijeshas who're very similar to Ijebus. grin

I understand why Ekitis and Ijeshas would feel a certain way due to bad blood from the past. But Ondo is a mystery. And I believe Ondo, especially Owo, are culturally similar to Ijebus in a lot of ways. Heck, even Owo and Ijebu arts share a lot of similarities. Then you have the Ilaje folks who're also similar to Ijebu waterside culturally.

Yoruba mythology does believe in a higher being. I don't know much about Ifa - but from the little I've read, the nucleus is about "Eleda" and "Ori inu". And those two right there are about a higher being. Yes, I'm also not a fan of foreign religions - Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduism et al...but I know there's a supreme being.

Personally, I don't even think I'm meant to be alive today cos I've been in a lot of situations where I should be been dead time ago (when I was younger and wild as fvck) - but something/someone miraculously kept me alive. And even sometimes whenever I self-destruct, there's always something/someone out there that puts me back in line to continue my journey in life. So who am I to disown the supreme being? That's what I always tell my darg who's an atheist...the whole atheism thing is Un-African and it's a new trick by white folks to enslave the souls and spirits of black people. Don't fall for the scam - there's a supreme being. grin

I said she told me things, not bad things.

All I know about Ijebu people is their business skills.

You're alive because of Eledumare (not the Jews outcast). grin
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by WIZGUY69(m): 7:10pm On Oct 26, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Overall king ke! Its just egbaland.

Lol. grin

lemme put it this way : in Osun the overall head of kings (don't know how to put it) is Ooni.

Oyo- Alaafin
Ibadan- Olubadan.
Akure- Deji.

etc they are the top most kings in there place.

but Abeokuta/Ogun, i don't seem to understand them.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by laudate: 7:11pm On Oct 26, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
Oba Olateru Olagbegi II, the Olowo of Owo

Great! Thank you! cheesy Is this the present Olowo, or the former one?? One of his sons was a former boss of mine. The guy was as principled as anything, hardworking and yet still carried himself with a regal air. He also had an innate courtesy, and awesome manners that was so endearing.

My friend that went to Cotonou with me would love this. He is from there. grin
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 7:12pm On Oct 26, 2015
ProfShymex:

Honestly, I don't know much about Yoruba dialects and I believe the common Yoruba in Nigeria is the Oyo dialect since that was the dialect used in writing standard Nigerian Yoruba. And since they're not in Nigeria, whatever dialect they speak will be different. Coupled with the fact that they also speak french.

Maybe, those who under Yoruba dialects and linguistics can shed more light on the Yoruba they speak there, by comparing the dialects of the towns Oduduwa's children founded, just to get a proper understanding of what their dialect would sound like.

I'm fluent in my understanding of 2 ekiti dialects .... mom/dad sides.

But I'm more fluent in orally speaking my mom's dialect. Ekiti sounds so sexyyyy grin

And of course 90%+ Yorubas are fluent in Oyo dialect.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 7:15pm On Oct 26, 2015
laudate:

Great! Thank you! cheesy Is this the present Olowo, or the former one?? One of his sons was a former boss of mine. The guy was as principled as anything, hardworking and yet still carried himself with a regal air. He also had an innate courtesy, and awesome manners that was so endearing.

My friend that went to Cotonou with me would love this. He is from there. grin

That's the current one.His first name is Folagbade
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 7:18pm On Oct 26, 2015
IlekeHD:

I said she told me things, not bad things.

All I know about Ijebu people is their business skills.

You're alive because of Eledumare (not the Jews outcast). grin

Ha! Spill it out - she told you Ijebus are stingy and wicked. grin

Shyte, that's just normal now - I don't get pissed at seeing that anymore. grin

Well, "Eledumare" is the supreme being. And I believe it's the same thing as "Eleda". Then you've "Ori inu" which is connected to both. And ya destiny in Ifa is "ayanmo". Anyway, I believe in the three - Eleda, ori inu, and ayanmo - especially destiny, hence I don't watch other people. I just run my own race and I've always been like that since I was a kid. Evidently, Yoruba/ifa corpus has always been part of me - in-born.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by laudate: 7:18pm On Oct 26, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
That's the current one.His first name is Folagbade

Ah, ok thanks. My former boss is the son of the old king, not the present one. wink

But sha, these Yoruba kings are imposing, o! shocked shocked And very regal. Abi, na only my eye dey see am? How fear no go catch person wey wan misbehave for their palace or their front, sef?? shocked

(1) (2) (3) ... (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) ... (384) (Reply)

Nairaland Says No To Secessionists / Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.