Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,269 members, 7,811,776 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:25 PM

A Comparison Between The Benin People And The Igbo People Based On Nigerias Hist - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Comparison Between The Benin People And The Igbo People Based On Nigerias Hist (10433 Views)

Buhari: Obama Goes For Medical Treatment: A Comparison pics / Read How Aisha Buhari Misled On Financial Burden On Nigerias High Commision / Bad State Of The Benin-Lokoja Road At Ekpoma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Comparison Between The Benin People And The Igbo People Based On Nigerias Hist by Curlieweed: 12:54am On Oct 25, 2015
NOBLEDANDY:

Then if you are saying in affirmative that the Portuguese also slept with bini women when trading with them...

Why then do bini look like bini...
While esans look different?

According to you they both slept with Portuguese men in line of trading with them.

Some Portuguese were actually granted dukedoms by the Oba. They settled in those dukedoms and raised families which might explain the throwbacks you're seeing. I remember going to high school with an Esan guy with green eyes.
Re: A Comparison Between The Benin People And The Igbo People Based On Nigerias Hist by Nobody: 12:57am On Oct 25, 2015
NOBLEDANDY:

Then if you are saying in affirmative that the Portuguese also slept with bini women when trading with them...

Why then do bini look like bini...
While esans look different?

According to you they both slept with Portuguese men in line of trading with them.

Well I don't know why Benin and Esan look different, it's just one of those things. Also the Oba sent representatives to Portugal and the Portuguese sent some of their men to Benin and helped the Benin in some battles and the rest is history... although they probably didn't mate with the Benin women as much as Esan, which could explain the difference physically.
Re: A Comparison Between The Benin People And The Igbo People Based On Nigerias Hist by buuubzx: 2:19am On Oct 25, 2015
Uniben4sure:
I am more interested in the history of esan people because those people look so much like igbos, except that they don't speak the language.

When I see a Bini person, I easily identify the person. Likewise, ijaw, urhobo, itshekiri, Yoruba or Hausa. But once I see esans, I mistake them for Igbo's. It has happened to me severally.

So, I will like to read a clear history of esans.

I think this is a exaggeration. Esans and Benins look alike to me.

1 Like

Re: A Comparison Between The Benin People And The Igbo People Based On Nigerias Hist by buuubzx: 2:22am On Oct 25, 2015
aim5:

Well I don't know why Benin and Esan look different, it's just one of those things. Also the Oba sent representatives to Portugal and the Portuguese sent some of their men to Benin and helped the Benin in some battles and the rest is history... although they probably didn't mate with the Benin women as much as Esan, which could explain the difference physically.

So you're insinuating that the only way Africans can be light is due European heritage? Esan and Benin people look alike, I don't know why some of you guys think there's a great difference in looks between us.

1 Like

Re: A Comparison Between The Benin People And The Igbo People Based On Nigerias Hist by Nobody: 2:53am On Oct 25, 2015
buuubzx:

So you're insinuating that the only way Africans can be light is due European heritage? Esan and Benin people look alike, I don't know why some of you guys think there's a great difference in looks between us.

Oh my God no. I said that some have Portuguese lineage. I never said all lightskin is due to European . And to me, they look a tad bit different that's my opinion.
Re: A Comparison Between The Benin People And The Igbo People Based On Nigerias Hist by buuubzx: 3:52am On Oct 25, 2015
aim5:

Oh my God no. I said that some have Portuguese lineage. I never said all lightskin is due to European . And to me, they look a tad bit different that's my opinion.

How though? I have both Benin and Esan heritage (mostly due to my grandfather on my mother's side) and I don't really see any great differences in terms of looks. I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm genuinely curious, because even I think that "some Edos have Portuguese ancestry" theory is a bit far-fetched.

1 Like

Re: A Comparison Between The Benin People And The Igbo People Based On Nigerias Hist by Nobody: 4:00am On Oct 25, 2015
buuubzx:

How though? I have both Benin and Esan heritage (mostly due to my grandfather on my mother's side) and I don't really see any great differences in terms of looks. I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm genuinely curious, because even I think that "some Edos have Portuguese ancestry" theory is a bit far-fetched.

Hmm that's your opinion, maybe I haven't been around many Benins to gauge any similarities in looks. And as for the Portuguese theory a few are, but we should stop beating a dead horse. I've had enough of this topic ha.
Re: A Comparison Between The Benin People And The Igbo People Based On Nigerias Hist by EasternLeopard: 6:15am On Oct 25, 2015
atbu1983:

I am Esan. we share boundary with Anioma people of Delta state. You even have Ekpon who are both Esan and Anioma at d same time. They are bilingual. Most of the migrant from Benin Empire that form most of d today Anioma are esan. That is why Esan, ika, ukwuani and other Anioma people look alike.

Esan are descendant of Bini.

What is this goat saying

Aniomas are Esans

Guy stop smoking ganja

Esans look like Igbos because their men married lots of Igbo women in ancient times because of their fair skin colour which eventually affected their genetic make up

Aniomas are not Esans and vice versa. angry

4 Likes

Re: A Comparison Between The Benin People And The Igbo People Based On Nigerias Hist by Nobody: 7:54am On Oct 25, 2015
lygn19:
This thread is dedicated to those who gain joy by causing disharmony and sowing seeds of hatred in people where non exist.

Nigeria is a country located in the African continent, it's located in the west African sub region close to the Equator and lies between latitude and longitude 4 to14 degrees north and 3 to 15 degrees east.
It is a very diverse country with people with different culture, way of lives, religion and tribe.
We have the hausa/fulanis making the majority tribe in the north, the yorubas making the majority tribe in the west and the igbos making the majority tribe in the east, plus other ethilnic groups like Kanuri, nupe, igala, idoma, ijaw, oron, benin, itsekiri etc.
I want to compare between two ethnic groups, its people and there history.
The Great Benin people of the mid west and the Great Igbos of Eastern Nigeria.

Nnaaa eh.
Wetin person no go see for nairaland.
why d insult on d Igbos.
bini kwa.

1 Like

Re: A Comparison Between The Benin People And The Igbo People Based On Nigerias Hist by Nobody: 8:39am On Oct 25, 2015
Idiataqueen:
am esan too ple do mistaken me for igbo infact here in southwest all edos are igbos they dont know d diff between igbos and edos,am surprise and sad when igbos keep saying dat we edos are yoruba ,i dont blame them sha igbo dont forget and forgive easily i dont know dat edos have rejected them before well i dont care if they like they can call us hausa.
we igbos have nothing against Edo people its just u people who hate us for no reason, when they ask you people why you would say our people killed your people during the war, so because something happened 40years ago u would pass the crime on the children despite the fact that the people who commited this crime died a long time ago.
Everytime they open any igbo thread u would see people like atbu1983, his brother spanishkid, mulattoclaro and the rest charging up, so much that if u go through there profile all there posts that they created all was dedicated to cursing igbos... for what reason if I may ask?

2 Likes

Re: A Comparison Between The Benin People And The Igbo People Based On Nigerias Hist by sandraokosun: 9:52am On Oct 25, 2015
greetings to all esans in the house. Esans are resilient people, they even call uromi people igbo becos uromi are everywhere, doing business and very stubborn, we cant be taken 4 granted. We have just(5) local government. And yet that 5lga has produced the first man to move the motion 4 nigeria independence(antony enahoro). A vice president of nigeria(augustus aikuhomo) first class nigeria cardinals who belonged to the vatican cabals (cardinal okogie, ekpu) pdp board of trustee chairman(anenih) nigeria ports chairman(anenih) ministers (ikimi,anenih,onolememe) a first lady(stella) current nigeria nurtw chairman(alaji isiwele) world class pastor(chris oyahkilome) etc some region with states cant do half

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Comparison Between The Benin People And The Igbo People Based On Nigerias Hist by Nobody: 11:29am On Oct 25, 2015
aim5:

I can see how you'd see the similarities.. even my dad, he's like light brown now but when his complexion was clean yellow, he was always called Omo Igbo by his Yoruba friends. And although I have some problems with Igbos, I can see some similarities in that both Esan and Igbo are very proud and stubborn, probably why I butt heads with many Igbos, even though I've always respected you guys' industriousness and entrepreneurship.
Now you are supporting the fact that esan look like igbos when you had slighted the yoruba for calling them igbo.
A yoruba man who has not traveled wide would undoubtedly call any southerner except yoruba igbo.the same way igbo call edo yoruba ( I see them as yoruba too).
Any southerner who has not traveled to the north would call any northerner Hausa.
Re: A Comparison Between The Benin People And The Igbo People Based On Nigerias Hist by Cjrane2: 1:19pm On Oct 25, 2015
xtractor:

Now you are supporting the fact that esan look like igbos when you had slighted the yoruba for calling them igbo.
A yoruba man who has not traveled wide would undoubtedly call any southerner except yoruba igbo.the same way igbo call edo yoruba ( I see them as yoruba too).
Any southerner who has not traveled to the north would call any northerner Hausa.

I have NEVER seen an Igbo (Even those in the villages) call and Edo or Delta person Yoruba. Stop lying!!!

Igbos may call someone from Borno hausa, but not to mistake Edo for yoruba. You will soon say you saw Igbos calling a Calabar person Yoruba or Ghanaian. Bloody liars.

5 Likes

Re: A Comparison Between The Benin People And The Igbo People Based On Nigerias Hist by Malawian(m): 2:32pm On Oct 25, 2015
I give it to ishans, their girls are quite pretty on the general, but they are not predominantly fair skinned. I schooled there myself. I don't see how they look like Igbo's either unless we are arrogating beauty to IGBO girls alone. between them and the Bini are also a coin toss as to who have prettier girls. one thing no other tribe can beat them in is superior craft. the worst of mankind can be easily found amongst them although I also have to say, the best of the best can also be found there. there is no middle ground. either you are totally for God, or for juju.
their language is also a high point for them, I mean, I thought they were singing when I first heard them speak, so sonorous.

2 Likes

Re: A Comparison Between The Benin People And The Igbo People Based On Nigerias Hist by bokohalal(m): 2:57pm On Oct 25, 2015
I can imagine Bini people taking a look at this thread and refusing to be baited. There is actually no need for us to respond to any comment made here.

2 Likes

Re: A Comparison Between The Benin People And The Igbo People Based On Nigerias Hist by Nobody: 4:36pm On Oct 25, 2015
xtractor:

Well, I don't see myself as Yoruba. And yes I can see how some can mistake Esan for Igbo since both can have lighter skin, but still I also don't see myself as an Igbo man either. And unlike most, I actually know that they're many ethnic groups in the North.
Re: A Comparison Between The Benin People And The Igbo People Based On Nigerias Hist by Nobody: 4:38pm On Oct 25, 2015
Malawian:
I give it to ishans, their girls are quite pretty on the general, but they are not predominantly fair skinned. I schooled there myself. I don't see how they look like Igbo's either unless we are arrogating beauty to IGBO girls alone. between them and the Bini are also a coin toss as to who have prettier girls. one thing no other tribe can beat them in is superior craft. the worst of mankind can be easily found amongst them although I also have to say, the best of the best can also be found there. there is no middle ground. either you are totally for God, or for juju.
their language is also a high point for them, I mean, I thought they were singing when I first heard them speak, so sonorous.

No black group is predominantly fair skinned. I'd say about 20 to 25 percent of Esan is fair.
Re: A Comparison Between The Benin People And The Igbo People Based On Nigerias Hist by Nobody: 5:06pm On Oct 25, 2015
Cjrane2:

I have NEVER seen an Igbo (Even those in the villages) call and Edo or Delta person Yoruba. Stop lying!!!

Igbos may call someone from Borno hausa, but not to mistake Edo for yoruba. You will soon say you saw Igbos calling a Calabar person Yoruba or Ghanaian. Bloody liars.
But you just read an Igbo man calling isan (edo) igbo

1 Like

Re: A Comparison Between The Benin People And The Igbo People Based On Nigerias Hist by Nobody: 6:47pm On Oct 25, 2015
EasternLeopard:

What is this goat saying

Aniomas are Esans

Guy stop smoking ganja

Esans look like Igbos because their men married lots of Igbo women in ancient times because of their fair skin colour which eventually affected their genetic make up

Aniomas are not Esans and vice versa. angry

SMDH.. yes I'm not going to rule out the possibility of intertribal breeding between Esan and some Igbos back in the day but to say that Igbos greatly affected the genetic makeup is laughable. Other than some Kpotokin links, most of the fairskinned ones are just fair and 100 percent African. You Igbos can be so funny.

1 Like

Re: A Comparison Between The Benin People And The Igbo People Based On Nigerias Hist by Nobody: 8:23pm On Oct 25, 2015
sandraokosun:
greetings to all esans in the house. Esans are resilient people, they even call uromi people igbo becos uromi are everywhere, doing business and very stubborn, we cant be taken 4 granted. We have just(5) local government. And yet that 5lga has produced the first man to move the motion 4 nigeria independence(antony enahoro). A vice president of nigeria(augustus aikuhomo) first class nigeria cardinals who belonged to the vatican cabals (cardinal okogie, ekpu) pdp board of trustee chairman(anenih) nigeria ports chairman(anenih) ministers (ikimi,anenih,onolememe) a first lady(stella) current nigeria nurtw chairman(alaji isiwele) world class pastor(chris oyahkilome) etc some region with states cant do half

Also Odion Ighalo can be a potential football star if he can continue to put up world class performances.
Re: A Comparison Between The Benin People And The Igbo People Based On Nigerias Hist by Living4christ(m): 2:24pm On Aug 26, 2016

I am Esan. we share boundary with Anioma people of Delta state. You even have Ekpon who are both Esan and Anioma at d same time. They are bilingual. Most of the migrant from Benin Empire that form most of d today Anioma are esan. That is why Esan, ika, ukwuani and other Anioma people look alike.

Esan are descendant of Bini.

And you forgot to mention that Igbos were in Benin before esan tribe was even formed
Re: A Comparison Between The Benin People And The Igbo People Based On Nigerias Hist by Dsov2016: 12:03am On Dec 04, 2016
Never have I been ashamed to read what fellow nairalanders post on this site. Seeing such tribalistic,vulgar,self centered ,egocentric and narcissistic post really takes the cake. Bros na wetin Benin people do u abi one of us their ur girlfriend because if not na now I no say u be correct olodo. Yanga dey sleep trouble go wake am. Abeg which one dey vex u, say Benin people nor join ur useless near sighted Biafra dream or set Benin don't be greatness b4 people know igboland. Tell me whether Igbo people son exist up to 1 mellenium like Benin people. Even the onyibo wet u quote his country were still savages when Benin people son dey do their Renaissance. Benin wall is the largest construction project undertaken by a medieval society. If no be yeye oyinbos wet they fill una empty skull with nonsense wetin go make earthworm like u con dey challenge lion like benin people. Isaac newton said it all u are standing on the shoulders of giants like us

1 Like

Re: A Comparison Between The Benin People And The Igbo People Based On Nigerias Hist by Dsov2016: 12:17am On Dec 04, 2016
Make I tell u something biafra proponents dey always make d civil war look like say na only dem suffer.what about other minority tribe wey die out.what about people wet una soldiers kill.what about wave of crime wet ur war introduce to Nigeria as dem nor disarm several people of their weapon,wat about wen una import foreign mecenary . people like u blog poster make me spit in disgust.do u know that my family personally suffer at ur Biafra hand my grandfather's adopted son die in una attack near river Niger bridge. Common bone we nor see to bury. My father still suffer from trauma when una come benin. My grandfather resisted una for government house benin na him una threaten to kill am. He told them with guns pointed at him that Nigeria's unity is non negotiable.he loved every Nigerian to the point he risked battle front even when he was not a trained soldier to help IBO people.instead of una to propose way to move this country forward una dey bring agenda wey go cause more problem than it can solve.gen. Gowon said the right thing no victor no vanquished.Pls stop insulting the various tribe lest those who know history of this country more than u ever do,who know ow many blood and reputation of the unsung hero's come and shame u. A word is enough for the wise

1 Like

Re: A Comparison Between The Benin People And The Igbo People Based On Nigerias Hist by Dsov2016: 12:21am On Dec 04, 2016
Even self how many of u Biafra agitators were at an age to understand the agitation talk less of been born then. Most of the elder proponents am sure were not even in the country as d war was going on

1 Like

Re: A Comparison Between The Benin People And The Igbo People Based On Nigerias Hist by redsun(m): 1:36am On Dec 04, 2016
Me Not drifting far but I want to correct some impressions and some propagandas that has been carried around by some benin elements about igbo people and I want Nigeria and the world to be the judge;
Before independence the Benin empire was one of the most influential in west Africa and Africa as the whole, with the Oba of Benin as its ruler plus his sons and other administrators who assisted him, during the reign of the Benin empire just as every other kingdom as at then was built on the backs of slaves, agriculture and trade. But one thing differentiated the Benin empire from others, its tyranny and wickedness that made British explorers write about Benin with the following statement;
"Naval intelligence officer R.H. Bacon wrote,

The one lasting remembrance of Benin in my mind is its smells. Crucifixions, human sacrifices, and every horror the eye could get accustomed to, to a large extent, but the smells no white man’s internal economy could stand. …

Blood was everywhere; smeared over bronzes, ivory, and even the walls, and spoke the history of that awful city in a clearer way than writing ever could. And this had been going on for centuries! Not the lust of one king, not the climax of a bloody reign, but the religion (save the word!) of the race …

the atrocities of Benin, originating in blood lust and desire to terrorise the neighbouring states, the brutal love of mutilation and torture, and the wholesale manner in which the caprices of the King and Juju were satisfied, could only have been the result of stagnant brutality …

[I saw] a crucifixion tree with a double crucifixion on it, the two poor wretches stretched out facing the west, with their arms bound together in the middle. The construction of this tree was peculiar, being absolutely built for the purpose of crucifixion. At the base were skulls and bones, literally strewn about; the debris of former sacrifices … and down every main road were two or more human sacrifices.

The synoptic reports of two other officers are excerpted in this tome; e.g.,

Seven large sacrifice compounds were found inclosed by walls … [containing earthen] altars [that] were covered with streams of dried human blood … [and] open pits filled with human bodies giving forth the most trying odours."

Where did you this from?It is an echo if the kind of horrors that goes on in Europe at that period. No wonder,even vultures,the most dreaded and efficient scavengers don't perch in that land.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Temitope Sugar: His Rise And Fall / Senate Debates Omo-Agege’s Sexual Harassment Bill / Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.