Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,428 members, 7,815,965 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:25 PM

Pregnant, Black Nigerian Woman Faces Death Penalty For Drugs - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Pregnant, Black Nigerian Woman Faces Death Penalty For Drugs (3274 Views)

Faces Of The Failed Coup Plotters In Burundi (pics) / Jackie Chan Supports Death Penalty For Drug Offences / Faces Of The Innocent Victims Of Flight MH17 That Killed All 298 People. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pregnant, Black Nigerian Woman Faces Death Penalty For Drugs by platinumnk(f): 7:32pm On May 04, 2009
This is a some serious drama here. Samantha Orobator, a British citizen from Nigeria was arrested for carrying 2.2. pounds of heroin while visiting Laos.

Samantha Orobator “is facing death by firing squad for drug trafficking,” said Clare Algar, executive director of Reprieve, a London-based human rights group.

Orobator, 20, was arrested on August 5, said Khenthong Nuanthasing, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman.

She was alleged to have been carrying just over half a kilogram (2.2 pounds) of heroin, Reprieve lawyer Anna Morris told CNN by phone from Vientiane, the Laotian capital. “For that amount of heroin the sentence is normally the death penalty,” she said.

Orobator’s mother Jane found out in January her daughter was pregnant — more than four months after she was arrested, her mother said.

Jane Orobator heard the news from the British Foreign Office, which has been monitoring the case, the mother told CNN by phone from Dublin, where she lives.

This is her right here
[img]http://bossip.files./2009/05/samantha-orobator-drugs-laos-british1.jpg[/img]

Is this right?!!
Re: Pregnant, Black Nigerian Woman Faces Death Penalty For Drugs by Seun(m): 7:35pm On May 04, 2009
Firing squad for drugs? That's not proportional at all. Punishment should fit the crime, not exceed.
Re: Pregnant, Black Nigerian Woman Faces Death Penalty For Drugs by platinumnk(f): 7:35pm On May 04, 2009

HANOI (AFP) — Officials said Monday they would continue to press for legal representation for a pregnant Briton expected to face trial in Laos on drug charges this week, but it was unclear when the case would be.

Under Laotian law, Samantha Orobator, aged 20, could face the firing squad if convicted.

The British embassy in Bangkok said its vice consul in Thailand arrived in neighbouring Laos over the weekend to assist Orobator, "in particular to make sure Samantha does have good legal representation," a spokesman said.

Foreign Office minister Bill Rammell has said he will also raise the case with the Laotian deputy prime minister when he meets him in London on Thursday, but campaigners have said they fear this may be too late.

Orobator was arrested last August after allegedly being caught with 680 grams (1.5 pounds) of heroin while trying to board a plane to Thailand.

With confusion surrounding when the trial will be, the British diplomatic spokesman in Bangkok said Monday "all that we know is that it's not today". This was confirmed by Khenthong Nuanthasing, a spokesman for the Lao government. "The trial will be held this week but I don't have the exact day," he said.

Khenthong said that, as far as he knew, no foreigner has ever been executed in Laos.

However, human rights watchdog Amnesty International has said that, even though under local laws the Briton would get the death penalty, the Southeast Asian country has an effective moratorium on capital punishment.

Earlier, Clive Stafford Smith, director of the justice advocacy group Reprieve, which is helping Orobator, said she had somehow "managed to get a call through" and said the trial was set for Monday.

"This whole process is a farce. The trial is just being put on as a show. They wanted to get it all over with before she was able to see a British lawyer," Stafford Smith added.

Reprieve lawyer Anna Morris arrived in Laos at the weekend and told Sky News she was to meet Orobator on Tuesday. However, she expressed concern the trial could go ahead before then.

Until now, the Nigerian-born Orobator has had no legal representation, Morris said, adding that she understood that in Laos, defendants were only allowed to meet their lawyers a week before the trial or even, in some cases, the day the trial starts.

"That has been our concern from the outset, that she has had no access to legal counsel before this week," she added.

The government said it only learned of Orobator's plight months after her arrest, but is now in regular contact with Laotian authorities.

Orobator's mother has expressed concern about the welfare of her daughter, who is due to give birth in September.

"I'm so scared, I'm so scared,  I don't know what they are up to there," Jane Orobator told Sky News television.

She added: "I learned she was pregnant. Before she was arrested she wasn't pregnant."

In a statement last July, Amnesty International said there had been no executions in Laos since 1989. It urged the government to "go a step further by formalising the current de facto moratorium."

Government spokesman Khenthong agreed no one has been put to death in 20 years but said the Lao courts still issue death sentences.
Re: Pregnant, Black Nigerian Woman Faces Death Penalty For Drugs by platinumnk(f): 7:36pm On May 04, 2009
Seun:

Firing squad for drugs? That's not proportional at all. Punishment should fit the crime, not exceed.

So true indeed, some countries law can be so heartless.
Re: Pregnant, Black Nigerian Woman Faces Death Penalty For Drugs by blissieng(f): 8:30pm On May 04, 2009
I know this family,  Imagine the shock?

Its amazing how some things we've heard or imagine b4 could hit sooo close to home.

Good GOD will surely 'Omega' what he has Alpha'd!
Imagine finding out abt 9 month after imprisonment, What/who  is to say we wouldnt have got wind of it after its too late.
Re: Pregnant, Black Nigerian Woman Faces Death Penalty For Drugs by Orimili(m): 8:01am On May 06, 2009
I don't know, it's common practice in east Asia to deliver harsh penalties for drug smuggling. It may not be fair, and the rules will certainly not change because she is a female or a mother to be. Besides, what the hell is she doing in Laos, of all places, and with ~700g of heroin?
Re: Pregnant, Black Nigerian Woman Faces Death Penalty For Drugs by blissieng(f): 4:20pm On May 06, 2009
Wish I could answer that!
Re: Pregnant, Black Nigerian Woman Faces Death Penalty For Drugs by bigbumper(f): 6:14pm On May 06, 2009
Orimili:

I don't know, it's common practice in east Asia to deliver harsh penalties for drug smuggling. It may not be fair, and the rules will certainly not change because she is a female or a mother to be. Besides, what the hell is she doing in Laos, of all places, and with ~700kg of heroin?

Chei, Nigerians have started adding jara to the story, she was alledgedly caught smuggling 700grams, not kilograms cheesy How she wan carry 700kg, when she herself weighs less than 60kg grin grin grin

Apparently, she has been on holiday to that region before so prolly either met someone who influenced her or set her up undecided
Re: Pregnant, Black Nigerian Woman Faces Death Penalty For Drugs by Orimili(m): 7:49pm On May 07, 2009
big_bumper:

Chei, Nigerians have started adding jara to the story, she was alledgedly caught smuggling 700grams, not kilograms cheesy How she wan carry 700kg, when she herself weighs less than 60kg grin grin grin

Apparently, she has been on holiday to that region before so prolly either met someone who influenced her or set her up undecided

Oh, wow, I knew something was wrong with that number. The units were incorrect! Indeed, 700kg would be a bit much for her to carry, haha. I'm going to edit that last comment.

(1) (Reply)

Why 'the Donald' Trumps Obama's Cult Of Celebrity / Warning To Obama!! ISIS Beheads Missing American Journalist (photos) / Are Patriots Ready To Take United States Back?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.