Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,005 members, 7,821,521 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:17 PM

Things To Consider Before Joining The Military - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Things To Consider Before Joining The Military (7258 Views)

Things To Consider Before Choosing A Career / Soldier Wins Over 50million Naira In Betnaija. Will He Leave The Military Or Not / Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things To Consider Before Joining The Military by Nobody: 8:26pm On Oct 24, 2015
Joining the Military can be one of the most challenging and rewarding decisions you ever make. This being said, however, it is something you want to carefully consider before taking the plunge. In order to ensure that you are making the right decision for yourself and your country, there are a few things you should consider before enlisting.

[b]1. What are your interests? Joining the military will provide you with specialized training in any number of fields, depending upon the branch you are considering. Thing about what skills you would like to possess at the end of your term of service. Learn as much as you can about each branch of military service and see which one will suit your needs. This way, you can serve your country to the best degree possible.

2. What skills are you bringing to the table? If you are already proficient with certain skills, perhaps you would like to hone these skills in the military. Whether it is working with computers, mechanics, or administrative duties, the military can provide you with the best training in a wide variety of areas.

3. Are you willing to make the commitment? Many people are enchanted with the idea of the military, only to have “buyer’s remorse” after joining. Seriously contemplate whether or not you will be happy with the commitment you are going to make. Once you have enlisted, you are under contract with the government, and getting out is no easy feat.

4. Have you been fully informed? This is extremely important. You must ask all of the right questions before enlisting. Make sure you do the appropriate research and talk with as many people as possible. This way, you won’t feel misled or cheated when the actuality of your situation becomes evident. Don’t listen selectively; actively listen to your recruiter. Make a list of things you need to know about and get informed.

5. What do you want to do in the future? After being in the military for a while, some decide that they would like to make a career out of military life. Others decide that they would like to move on and pursue their education or a career in the civilian world with the skills they picked up while serving. Have your future in mind when selecting a job when you enlist. Make sure that you will leave the service with the proper tools to be successful in life.
[/b]

Culled from the original post By Kelly Kilpatrick..

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/consider.htm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Things To Consider Before Joining The Military by fratermathy(m): 8:31pm On Oct 24, 2015
My guy. cheesy

I love the military so much. In other life, I may be a military man but in this life, I don't think I can withstand the rigorous training and hardened conscience.

Espirit de Corps!
Seun, Ishilove, Farano, Lalasticlala, Warri boys are back again. wink

1 Share

Re: Things To Consider Before Joining The Military by Nobody: 8:52pm On Oct 24, 2015
fratermathy:
My guy. cheesy

I love the military so much. In other life, I may be a military man but in this life, I don't think I can withstand the rigorous training and hardened conscience.

Espirit de Corps!
Lalasticlala, Warri boys are back again. wink
I can't do anything else apart from military professionally.... It's just my life....It's a family tradition! grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things To Consider Before Joining The Military by daniska3yaro(m): 8:52pm On Oct 24, 2015
Hmmm.
Re: Things To Consider Before Joining The Military by Nobody: 9:00pm On Oct 24, 2015
'Buyers remorse' is one thing you don't wanna have after signing up.
Re: Things To Consider Before Joining The Military by FruityLass: 9:15pm On Oct 24, 2015
smiley

Under contract with the government once you are enlisted and getting out is no easy feat embarassed
Re: Things To Consider Before Joining The Military by Nobody: 9:23pm On Oct 24, 2015
How do they join da military?
Re: Things To Consider Before Joining The Military by Nobody: 9:24pm On Oct 24, 2015
FruityLass:
smiley

Under contract with the government once you are enlisted and getting out is no easy feat embarassed
Army?
Re: Things To Consider Before Joining The Military by Nobody: 9:25pm On Oct 24, 2015
Durentt:
How do they join da military?
You enlist!
Buy the form and register
Re: Things To Consider Before Joining The Military by Nobody: 9:27pm On Oct 24, 2015
Freemanan:
You enlist! Buy the form and register
no jamb? No waec? No exams at all? And if i buy form am i 100% sure to be enlisted
Re: Things To Consider Before Joining The Military by Nobody: 10:13pm On Oct 24, 2015
fratermathy:
My guy. cheesy

Espirit de Corps!
Lalasticlala, Warri boys are back again. wink

I Really pity this one grin grin

you nor go they enjoy your life small small ,na Army u 1 join.. Lolz.. fratermathy oo.. just they improve on your Articles and do us a favor (Publish books) you are good at that. As for army leave it to those make 1 die.. I even they wonder wenti Make Hausa people love military work more than anything, is it that they luv Hardship more than Education ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Things To Consider Before Joining The Military by Nobody: 10:14pm On Oct 24, 2015
Freemanan:

I can't do anything else apart from military professionally.... It's just my life....It's a family tradition! grin

u be navy ?
Re: Things To Consider Before Joining The Military by opezy: 11:01pm On Oct 24, 2015
Hey freeman....i love to know more about the millitary. Most especially there short term service
Re: Things To Consider Before Joining The Military by Nobody: 6:22am On Oct 25, 2015
Durentt:
no jamb? No waec? No exams at all?
And if i buy form am i 100% sure to be enlisted
Lol... No...
Test and screening surely will be Done...
Re: Things To Consider Before Joining The Military by Nobody: 6:33am On Oct 25, 2015
Goodboiyy:

u be navy ?
Almost....
Your boy is in the process!
Re: Things To Consider Before Joining The Military by Nobody: 6:36am On Oct 25, 2015
opezy:
Hey freeman....i love to know more about the millitary. Most especially there short term service
Opezy Which of the arm are you interested in? Army, Navy, or Airforce?

Navy and Airforce are difficult when it comes to Short Service But Army is fair.... I mean entering into the programme....

Which one precisely do you intend joining?
Re: Things To Consider Before Joining The Military by Allwility: 9:15am On Oct 25, 2015
Singing: Leave your wife and join the army, One more river to cross...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Things To Consider Before Joining The Military by Nobody: 11:59am On Oct 25, 2015
Freemanan:

Almost....
Your boy is in the process!

oboy be navy Jor.. na only Navy Uniform I just like. the white and white stuff. and its not that Risky. but army.. I don't just like them
Re: Things To Consider Before Joining The Military by Nobody: 12:09pm On Oct 25, 2015
Goodboiyy:

oboy be navy Jor.. na only Navy Uniform I just like. the white and white stuff. and its not that Risky. but army.. I don't just like them
It's not easy sir...
But NNS Delta will see me Soon..
Re: Things To Consider Before Joining The Military by Nobody: 12:10pm On Oct 25, 2015
Allwility:
Singing: Leave your wife and join the army, One more river to cross...
Lol... What if you marry a military personnel?

1 Like

Re: Things To Consider Before Joining The Military by Allwility: 12:22pm On Oct 25, 2015
Freemanan:

Lol... What if you marry a military personnel?
You leave her na! Duty is duty. Duty comes first.
Re: Things To Consider Before Joining The Military by Nobody: 12:25pm On Oct 25, 2015
Allwility:

You leave her na! Duty is duty. Duty comes first.
Surely! And She will understand because She is in the field also.
Re: Things To Consider Before Joining The Military by Gentlesniper(m): 1:51pm On Oct 25, 2015
Freemanan:

in other words, you will force a child of yours to join the millitary whether he/she has a passion for it or not since its a family tradition
Re: Things To Consider Before Joining The Military by Nobody: 2:01pm On Oct 25, 2015
one of my friends wanted to join the Airforce. He always kept swaggering bout how he was going to pilot missions over Boko Haram once he graduates the Academy. When he got enlisted, you needed to have seen how happy he was. It was like he won the lotto. When he left, he was so friggin exicted.........

But when he came back..............
Re: Things To Consider Before Joining The Military by Nobody: 2:11pm On Oct 25, 2015
Gentlesniper:
in other words, you will force a child of yours to join the millitary whether he/she has a passion for it or not since its a family tradition
Nope....
He will be inclined to it... I wasn't forced But I love it because I grew and grind in it...

You might not understand But Military is Bae tongue
Re: Things To Consider Before Joining The Military by Gentlesniper(m): 2:55pm On Oct 25, 2015
Freemanan:

Nope....
He will be inclined to it... I wasn't forced But I love it because I grew and grind in it...

You might not understand But Military is Bae tongue
yea, I perfectly understand but sometimes a child doesn't fall in love with his environment. I come from a strictly millitary family but yet my elder brother has no passion 4 anything millitary despite the fact he was forced to attend NMS. My dad was mad when he chose 2 study vertinary medicine, and he is doing so well as a Vet. Doctor
Re: Things To Consider Before Joining The Military by Nobody: 3:36pm On Oct 25, 2015
Gentlesniper:
yea, I perfectly understand but sometimes a child doesn't fall in love with his environment. I come from a strictly millitary family but yet my elder brother has no passion 4 anything millitary despite the fact he was forced to attend NMS. My dad was mad when he chose 2 study vertinary medicine, and he is doing so well as a Vet. Doctor
Yeah, I have Seen cases like that... If one of the kids can take up the tradition the NO problem! Are you interested in military ?

Either joining or a follow up...
Re: Things To Consider Before Joining The Military by Nobody: 3:45pm On Oct 25, 2015
Freemanan:

Yeah, I have Seen cases like that... If one of the kids can take up the tradition the NO problem! Are you interested in military ?

its normal not every child wants to take after his father but in some family every one want to. its mindset and the level of upbringing.
Re: Things To Consider Before Joining The Military by Gentlesniper(m): 3:58pm On Oct 25, 2015
Freemanan:

currently serving with the NA
Re: Things To Consider Before Joining The Military by Nobody: 4:14pm On Oct 25, 2015
Gentlesniper:
currently serving with the NA
Splendid....

You joined through DSS or you starred from the scratch?
Re: Things To Consider Before Joining The Military by Gentlesniper(m): 4:23pm On Oct 25, 2015
Freemanan:

Splendid....

You joined through DSS or you starred from the scratch?
joined the academy immediately after nms
Re: Things To Consider Before Joining The Military by Nobody: 6:18pm On Oct 25, 2015
Gentlesniper:
joined the academy immediately after nms
Splendid.... Hope to be in ASAP...
You are a F.Lieutenant?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why You Should Start Your Pension Early / Stanbic-IBTC Bank On A Sacking Spree! / 1,500 Nigerians Lose Jobs In Julius Berger Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.