Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,076 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:30 AM

My Experience Today As An Applicant. - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Experience Today As An Applicant. (39350 Views)

My Bitter Experience Today As A Marketer / 6 Annoying Things Nigerian Interviewers Do When Interviewing An Applicant / My Job Interview Experience Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by Nobody: 5:46pm On Oct 26, 2015
engrhorla:
What has the world turn to?

Ladies are hungrier to get jobs than the guys.

Imagine this story!

I can bet it that most guys who just finished NYSC are travelling from one place to the other in the name of fun and adventure..some will be trying to catch up with their old flames..kai

No wonder, we have a lot of young, motivated and progressive ladies than guys.

Yet these same fun seeking guys will cry their lungs out when a 50year old emir marries a 25year old

It's a pity!
how did you come about this?
Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by oluamid(m): 5:47pm On Oct 26, 2015
Getting a job is a job on its own, but the jobs are out there so you need to keep up the effort and enthusiasm. Your new job is an inspired effort away.
Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by butanep(m): 5:49pm On Oct 26, 2015
Insel:
Send me your CV let me review it for you. 97% of young nigerian grads dont know how to package themselves and project an image of someone ready for work. Will do it for you at no cost and can assure you that you will get called for interviews however, getting pass that stage is another hurdle.

Please can I get your mail so I can send mine for you to review.

I will appreciate.
Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by Tex42(m): 5:50pm On Oct 26, 2015
delors:
Lol. Right. Tried that angle some years back in Lagos. Walked the whole ikeja-ogba axis, advanced to ilupeju and obanikoro, then scanned VI all within a week on foot...nobody advised me before I born again. Fruitless effort. As in FRUITLESS in caps.
lol! @ scanned VI... no kill pesin here o!

LWKMD... Kai!
Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by redcurry(f): 6:02pm On Oct 26, 2015
Jollyjoy:
If na like dis exam questions dey long,everybody for cucuma dey ready for carryoversadsad
hahahahahahhahahaha@op.to add a little to d ones stated above. Pls don't limit ur search to ur field.after searching in my field for 6 months after nysc with no result to show.I picked a waitress job in a fast food in abuja here, with little or nothing. d pay barely covered my tfare. after two months there, I moved to another restaurant with a little raise (2k)both jobs were less than 20k. it was at d second restaurant that God connected me to someone who helped me to get my current job.thou am still aiming higher,but my take home now is.....@least am starting my building proeject ds December... moral of my long epistle.... thou shall not despise d days of humble beginnings.
Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by Dentale(m): 6:03pm On Oct 26, 2015
OP I salute your determination! Imagine, less than one month post NYSC and you're not taking it easy at all. Your hardwork will be rewarded. I couldn't help laughing at some parts though. Loll. Cold calls usually don't work for job searches o. Please rest your feet dear. As some have mentioned, practice and keep practicing aptitude tests. Apply to as many companies as you can online. At least with a 2.1, your options are somewhat less restricted. Also referrals help too. Talk to your friends, family, neighbours, Church or Mosque members and spread the word that you're looking for a job. You never know where the opportunities will come from. All in all don't give up. Keep pushing and you'll reach your goals. God speed!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by abiambo(m): 6:04pm On Oct 26, 2015
And u think you now knw the gravity of the situation My dear u are still learning, no worry u will understand what I mean in due course... getting a job is nothing short of a miracle in this country, over 20M unemployed and counting with more getting kicked out of jobs... ur best bet is to pray to God...
Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by solexadex(m): 6:06pm On Oct 26, 2015
Send ur cv to Solomon@centuryinformationsystems.com
Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by charles009(m): 6:17pm On Oct 26, 2015
you know what folks, I ask you to pray for divine favour. Dont let your face drop.Let the struggle add a spin to your step. I was unnemployed for 5 years, yes 5 years of staying indoors and praying to God. Then one faithful day i help showed a man a street when he visited the compound. The rest was history. I mean all my years of hardship has been forgotten.

He will see yu through, Though its stormy now, but belive me, its never gonna rain forever.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by PasNina(m): 6:18pm On Oct 26, 2015
danieloy4:
My own best tips-
Since u knw ur career profile and where u wud fit in,get a list of companies u feel u cud fit in,goto dere websites(career),fill in ur app. Or u get dere company email and send ur CV dere.
Also jobberman is also a gud jobsites in itself wen dey want to but all ds scammer job vacancies re just ruining tins,so wat i do most times is list down all dos vacancies go look for d companies on google,if i find dem i apply directly, cos most times i doubt all dos applications sent via jobberman get to dere destinations
True.
Jobberman could be trash.
Opt for hotnigerianjobs instead.
Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by Spidermon: 6:29pm On Oct 26, 2015
Freeben:
October 15? And already frustrated? My guy hope still dey o. I finished service October 10th 2013, I have only been called to one interview since then and that was in December 2014. I submit my CV everyday. I am yet to give up, so guy, abeg never tire o. E MUST better for us.
Goodluck in your continious search!!!

[color=#006600][/color]

Help me tell am ooo. People dey ground, she dey complain.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by An2elect2(f): 6:30pm On Oct 26, 2015
247notire:
Sashafm me thinks u started looking out for jobs very late. You should have started from the first day u resumed in ur PPA! Srong advise to corpers out thr, please begin right now to apply for jobs, so u won't experience frustrations and dissapointments after NYSC. No serious company will reject u just cos ur still serving. I'm a living testimony!!!
I am currently serving. Can you be kind enough to share how you did it? smiley This has been on my mind for a while now.
Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by Nobody: 6:41pm On Oct 26, 2015
Sashafm:
Being recently churned out by NYSC, on October 15th of this month. I have always heard about how precarious it was to get a job in this country without connections, but I did not actually know the gravity of it until now. Armed with my 2.1 certificate from OAU (The best University wink) and my NYSC discharged certificate I thought now I have arrived to become gainfully employed.
Don't stop being optimistic, and things will work out great.
Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by 247notire(m): 6:43pm On Oct 26, 2015
An2elect2:

I am currently serving. Can you be kind enough to share how you did it? smiley This has been on my mind for a while now.
Lol. Ain't no secret really. Just go ahead and keep scouting for openings as if ur done serving already... I'm an HR person so I also come across job openings from time to time though there are a thousand and one job sites these days. Thrs something coming up in my firm anyways. Hopefully b4 the end of the year... Gonna be a massive graduate trainees recruitment... I'll quote u on one of ur more obscure posts with my email addy... Cheers dear...
Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by petiteee(f): 6:43pm On Oct 26, 2015
The thought of staying jobless after my NYSC which is in 5mths scares me really bad sad
Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by AustinowithaC(m): 6:52pm On Oct 26, 2015
You really got me cracked up. leaving Lagos for Abuja for job search, is like like rejecting a kingdom for a house.

free2ryhme:

You have made the first mistake like those before and after you.

You left lagos to Abuja.

Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by Sashafm(f): 6:59pm On Oct 26, 2015
AustinowithaC:

You really got me cracked up. leaving Lagos for Abuja for job search, is like like rejecting a kingdom for a house.
LOL. As funny as that may sound I did so wink

Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by nkemjacob2(m): 7:01pm On Oct 26, 2015
Ur job hunt search is just an ice berk of what i went through searching for a job. Nigeria economy is rubbish and nonsence..... My advice to u go and learn a handwork, engage in little trade, work as a freelancer y seraching for ur drim job....
Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by 4C2215131: 7:02pm On Oct 26, 2015
Sashafm:
Being recently churned out by NYSC, on October 15th of this month. I have always heard about how precarious it was to get a job in this country without connections, but I did not actually know the gravity of it until now. Armed with my 2.1 certificate from OAU (The best University wink) and my NYSC discharged certificate I thought now I have arrived to become gainfully employed.

I left Lagos for Abuja just 2 days after my POP, alas, after sending out countless applications and applying for any job that fits my criteria, I have not even been called for a single interview!!!.

I was swayed after a week and thought to myself, if I wouldn't be called for interviews I would go in search of the companies my self and make an appearance. I was Wrong sad. I am not really conversant with Abuja very well, but i was determined to go in search of a job physically instead of gazing at my laptop all day long. I dressed in my best, looked very corporate even wore my corporate court shoes that i painfully bought from my alawee in the hope that when I get called for interview by Standard chartered bank or PWC grin, I would launch it. Anybody that met me on the way would think I am a business executive,on my way to seal a contract deal.

Started the long journey to town as I stay close to the airport. on getting there I started from Wuse zone 3, as I had earlier sourced from the internet the addresses of companies that had posted vacancies in Abuja. My plan was to go and submit my CV in person .Unfortunately for me I was even unable to locate the offices as, the Address given on the internet did not even correspond. mogbe moment was activated as I was lost, broke and on heels with no direction. I was being turned back at most of the offices, that was when I realized the gravity of being an unemployed person. At a point removed my shoes and changed to my sanders as i had packed them in my bag. Dejected and sad, I turned back home. And here I am at home again. Glued to my laptop and scanning for job again. It is indeed pathetic.

There's a term for it: Reality Check!
Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by Armstrong34(m): 7:06pm On Oct 26, 2015
so make we begin fear OAU.............shey because at d mention of OAU,jobs shall appear..........omo naija no send weda yhu b OAU or ABU oo

1 Like

Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by Sashafm(f): 7:07pm On Oct 26, 2015
I have really enjoyed creating this thread, sharing my story;I received quite a number of criticism and also quite a number of encouragement. The Struggle continues all the same. I was just so down when i got back today that I took to this forum to churn out my grievances and never regretted doing so. At least I had quite a number of good laughs from some post and above all, I hope someone, somewhere has learnt a thing or two from my experience and from people's views. smiley smiley

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by dwebdesign(m): 7:10pm On Oct 26, 2015
abeg, whats "mogbe moment".
Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by AustinowithaC(m): 7:13pm On Oct 26, 2015
[quote author=Sashafm post=39388258][/quote]

My dear I actually served in Abuja. After my service years I spent few months combing FCT, but when I get to realize that Abuja is all about federal parastatals/offices and no existence of even biscuit industry, I took to my heels. Anyway, I wish you luck dear.
Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by Ultimus: 7:23pm On Oct 26, 2015
taiwolusol:

A very short sighted post!

And you as well are a blighted dunder head. The unemployment you see us grappling with today is as a result of the failure of the country to protract the economy in accommodating our booming population. For me, the only thing that will make sense is if the govt diversify the economy and stimulate more private investments.
Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by mideactive: 7:25pm On Oct 26, 2015
It's a global thing,just be hopeful and prayerful..
Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by Adortem: 7:52pm On Oct 26, 2015
Philadelphia:

Twas the OP that is dreaming as she was the one who said it. Not I.
shocked I recognise this Moniker,you created the Nigerian Immigration thread
Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by bitingcool: 7:54pm On Oct 26, 2015
dwebdesign:

Lol. Aka Gbese re moment; aka 'I don enter' moment tongue grin ; aka who send me message moment

1 Like

Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by bitingcool: 7:59pm On Oct 26, 2015
dwebdesign:

Lol. Aka Gbese re moment; aka 'I don enter' moment tongue grin ; aka who send me message moment
Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by bitingcool: 8:10pm On Oct 26, 2015
Dear Sashafm, I salute your determination and doggedness. It's not unnatural to be disappointed seeing that you set out with such high hopes and expectation. My advise to you is this PERSIST! PERSIST!! PERSIST!!!

Don't give up in your search, just be more tactical and smarter. Write down the salient points you've been advised with. Search smarter.
I tell you, people get jobs faster when they inform everyone and anyone they know.
So many people have asked for your course of study, let them have it. The opportunity you seek could just be here. I admire your determination, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

You'll do well darling.
Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by GeoOla25(m): 8:10pm On Oct 26, 2015
Smiles....OAU.? ....2:1.?....., you better brace up and stop living on old glory, Recruiters doesn't look at institutions disparity anymore, all they need is your content......all you need is to get connected....I prescribe Linkedin for you...I wish you the best.
Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by cheerokee(m): 8:26pm On Oct 26, 2015
Instead of searching for non-available jobs, you can become a boss of your own..

I know of someone who joined a multinational networking company and made almost 2million in the space of 5months, though not everyone can do this business, it requires active doggedness and your ability to bring more people to the business, your bonus increases as you do it, the company has a lot of products you can sell and make bonus from it self (no target)..

let me stop here for now.. if you're ready just send me a DM
PS. it's not GNLD oh, just Lagos residents only pls, contact me, I'll link you to someone who'll register you with (#4,000)

please, it isn't compulsory oh, don't lambast me..
Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by Nobody: 8:40pm On Oct 26, 2015
That's the spirit of Great Ife. I did exactly the same thing you are doing 8years ago.

I remember going to Glo office on the island and I stood in front of Adenuga tower. The security guys are the most dreaded. They will never let you enter. You have to strategise. After spending hours in front of the office, if I see anybody dressed corporate come out of the building, I will walk up to the person and say "good morning sir/ma, pls I want to drop my cv in this company, can you help me"

Everybody I met, looked at me and hissed. Some will just politely say "sorry can't do"

I stayed there for more than 4hours and 1 guy just passed and said "you have been standing here since, what do you want" I told him and he collected the cv from me.

I was very glad that I did what I wanted to do. It gave me joy. My cv entered Glo. Though I believe the guy could have trashed it to relieve me from my trauma. Al the same, I was satisfied

So keep the faith. Push, go anywhere you mind tells you, be bold to talk to anybody you see. They were once job seekers.

Sashafm:

I left Lagos for Abuja just 2 days after my POP, alas, after sending out countless applications and applying for any job that fits my criteria, I have not even been called for a single interview!!!.

I was swayed after a week and thought to myself, if I wouldn't be called for interviews I would go in search of the companies my self and make an appearance. I was Wrong sad. I am not really conversant with Abuja very well, but i was determined to go in search of a job physically instead of gazing at my laptop all day long. I dressed in my best, looked very corporate even wore my corporate court shoes that i painfully bought from my alawee in the hope that when I get called for interview by Standard chartered bank or PWC grin, I would launch it. Anybody that met me on the way would think I am a business executive,on my way to seal a contract deal.

Started the long journey to town as I stay close to the airport. on getting there I started from Wuse zone 3, as I had earlier sourced from the internet the addresses of companies that had posted vacancies in Abuja. My plan was to go and submit my CV in person .Unfortunately for me I was even unable to locate the offices as, the Address given on the internet did not even correspond. mogbe moment was activated as I was lost, broke and on heels with no direction. I was being turned back at most of the offices, that was when I realized the gravity of being an unemployed person. At a point removed my shoes and changed to my sanders as i had packed them in my bag. Dejected and sad, I turned back home. And here I am at home again. Glued to my laptop and scanning for job again. It is indeed pathetic.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

CBN (central Bank Of Nigeria) 2nd Recruitment 2012, Latest Massive Job Vacancies / Test Venues For 2014 NNPC Recruitment Test / When Asked About Salary Preference

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.