Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,751 members, 7,809,874 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:26 PM

Why Do Some Christians Reject Gospel Hip Hop? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Some Christians Reject Gospel Hip Hop? (1844 Views)

Some Muslims Will Make Heaven While Some Christians Will Not. / Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? / Why Are Some Christians Poor? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Some Christians Reject Gospel Hip Hop? by Nobody: 9:24pm On May 05, 2009
Why Do Some Christians Reject Gospel Hip Hop?

Is gospel music supposed to be slow?

Once most Christians talk about gospel music, the first thing that comes to their mind is Don Moen's kind of music. They never think about think about T-Bone. If you play Don Moen's type of music, you are considered a good to be a good gospel singer but if you start doing some rap thing, they will say you are doing canal music. Why?

In churches, the youths are told to stop listening to secular music like that of D'banj and the rest but they don't give the youths, some holy alternative. They want us to buy, play and listen to hymns. This is not good enough.
Not everybody likes slow music which most Christians think is holy.

Can you guys say something about this?
Re: Why Do Some Christians Reject Gospel Hip Hop? by tpiah: 4:44am On May 06, 2009
It depends on which church you're referring to.

personally, I like DC Talk which is a gospel hiphop/rap band.

Another of my favorites, Newsboys, also raps on occasion.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Reject Gospel Hip Hop? by tpiah: 4:59am On May 06, 2009
Re: Why Do Some Christians Reject Gospel Hip Hop? by Image123(m): 3:44pm On May 06, 2009
Actually christian songs are supposed to be spiritual.This is because children of God are spiritual people.They do not please the flesh/carnal man or give occasion to the flesh. They try to LIVE in the Spirit and walk in the Spirit,not according to the course of this world Ephesians2v2. Spiritual songs minister more to the spirit/than the body.'unspiritual' songs please the flesh more. Of course we have different kinds of spiritual,so stick to godly spiritual as you should know that christians are not the only spiritual people.
Colossians3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom;teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs,singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
His commandments are not grievous.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Reject Gospel Hip Hop? by tpiah: 3:48pm On May 06, 2009
Image123:

Actually christian songs are supposed to be spiritual.This is because children of God are spiritual people.They do not please the flesh/carnal man or give occasion to the flesh. They try to LIVE in the Spirit and walk in the Spirit,not according to the course of this world Ephesians2v2. Spiritual songs minister more to the spirit/than the body.'unspiritual' songs please the flesh more. Of course we have different kinds of spiritual,so stick to godly spiritual as you should know that christians are not the only spiritual people.
Colossians3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom;teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs,singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
His commandments are not grievous.

so what's not spiritual about contemporary Christian music? Please explain.

How do you explain the psalms which say make a joyful noise unto the lord?
Re: Why Do Some Christians Reject Gospel Hip Hop? by JeSoul(f): 4:36pm On May 06, 2009
Re: Why Do Some Christians Reject Gospel Hip Hop?

1. Becos they don't like hiphop music in general
2. Becos they are ignorant
3. Becos they have been poisoned and misled to believe all hiphop is evil

I remember I taught a seminar once to an audience of 60-70yr olds about gospel hiphop and most of them had the same misconceptions. I'm glad to say they weren't close minded and once they got a chance to listen to and see the lives of these musicians, they changed their minds.
@poster, I am heavily involved in gospel hiphop and can testify that God can and uses all kinds of music to bring glory to His name. One of my friends who's a rapper had this line in his song that said:

For those o'yall who say God's not in hiphop/ who gave ya'll the right to put God in a box?

Image123:

Actually christian songs are supposed to be spiritual. This is because children of God are spiritual people. They do not please the flesh/carnal man or give occasion to the flesh. They try to LIVE in the Spirit and walk in the Spirit,not according to the course of this world Ephesians2v2. Spiritual songs minister more to the spirit/than the body.'unspiritual' songs please the flesh more. Of course we have different kinds of spiritual,so stick to godly spiritual as you should know that christians are not the only spiritual people.

Lol . . . so only the slow, boring hymns are "spiritual" enough to be acceptable unto God? I see you have not been exposed to quality spirit-filled gospel hiphop. If you are willing I will direct you to some annointed and inspiring musicians in gospel hiphop.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Reject Gospel Hip Hop? by Image123(m): 7:19pm On May 06, 2009
@JeSoul and tpiah
I'll say you're not being fair to me.Obongproff among other things wrote about dbanj and the others and asked can you guys say something about this.This was what I replied to and most of what I wrote were bible quotes,not mine opinions.I didn't mention hiphop or 'contemporary christian music' or slow or fast.What I said was spiritual songs.if you're feeling hiphop was judged,maybe God is simply telling something.Children of God are heaven minded people,their mind and affection are set on things above,not on things on earth.
BTW,make a joyful noise doesn't compulsorily have to be hiphop or ragga,it could still be a 'slow boring Don Moenic' joyful noise
Re: Why Do Some Christians Reject Gospel Hip Hop? by tpiah: 8:12pm On May 06, 2009
Image123:

@JeSoul and tpiah
I'll say you're not being fair to me.Obongproff among other things wrote about dbanj and the others and asked can you guys say something about this.This was what I replied to and most of what I wrote were bible quotes,not mine opinions.I didn't mention hiphop or 'contemporary christian music' or slow or fast.What I said was spiritual songs.if you're feeling hiphop was judged,maybe God is simply telling something.Children of God are heaven minded people,their mind and affection are set on things above,not on things on earth.
BTW,make a joyful noise doesn't compulsorily have to be hiphop or ragga,it could still be a 'slow boring Don Moenic' joyful noise

well, I posted some songs that have greatly touched me in the past. And still do. Just like hymns, slow songs, traditional ones, and other forms of music have also touched me at various times.

Banning a whole generation from certain things which are seen as "worldly" or "not heavenly", often doesnt really make them more spiritual- just more religious or maybe more conforming to a certain norm.

Hiphop has been used to spread all kinds of messages- Christian hiphop was actually slow to join the bandwagon. The first song I posted on that list was a Christian hiphop/rap song about hope and new beginnings. Someone can listen to that when they wouldnt be caught dead near a hymn singing church.

anyway, God works in all kinds of ways.

The psalms mention different instruments, and music types.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Reject Gospel Hip Hop? by JeSoul(f): 8:30pm On May 06, 2009
Image123:

@JeSoul and tpiah

my brotha apologies if it sounded like I was attacking you, my motive was far far away from that  kiss
I think you misunderstood Obong. He wasn't talking about dbanj n co's music, I think he meant that older folks say not to listen to them but don't supply them with a christian alternative that is also hiphop/rap/contemporary etc.

You have made your point clearer though in saying "I didn't mention hiphop or 'contemporary christian music' or slow or fast.What I said was spiritual songs" As long as the lyrics glorify God and edify man it is = to a "spiritual song". It's just that oftentimes christians have this perception in their mind of what "godly/christian music" should sound like when we are all different and praise God in different ways. So even if a christian does not like hiphop or gospel hiphop that is fine, as long as they don't presume to have some kind of self-proclaimed spiritual authority to say that gospel hiphop is evil and not of God.

And fyi Don Moen is one of my all time favs  smiley
Re: Why Do Some Christians Reject Gospel Hip Hop? by tpiah: 8:32pm On May 06, 2009
JeSoul:

my brotha apologies if it sounded like I was attacking you, my motive was far far away from that kiss

likewise, Image123 wink
Re: Why Do Some Christians Reject Gospel Hip Hop? by Image123(m): 11:12pm On May 06, 2009
@tpiah and JeSoul
no qualms,my sisters.We're both on the Lord's side and by God's grace,we'll sing with saints and angels unto God in that day.Amen
Re: Why Do Some Christians Reject Gospel Hip Hop? by tpiah: 2:28am On May 07, 2009
Amen. wink
Re: Why Do Some Christians Reject Gospel Hip Hop? by AKO1(m): 9:59am On May 07, 2009
Its just a silly stereotype. undecided

However the problem with christian hip hop is that some performers put more emphasis on the stylistic aspects of the music than on the message. With hymns and 'slow songs', its mostly the other way around.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Reject Gospel Hip Hop? by duduspace(m): 12:32pm On May 07, 2009
Maybe its becos a mixture of white and black becomes gray and some people want to be certain of where they stand or maybe some people are just too stuck in their ways and can't change with the times, depends on whose perspective.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Reject Gospel Hip Hop? by tudor(m): 4:38pm On May 08, 2009
There's nothing wrong with christian or islamic hip hop,it all depends on your culture,temperament and personality.as long as the lyrics are xtian u shld have no problem, since christianity is so full of hypocrites i'm nt suprised pple have issues with this
Re: Why Do Some Christians Reject Gospel Hip Hop? by tpiah: 5:10pm On May 08, 2009
tudor:

There's nothing wrong with christian or islamic hip hop,it all depends on your culture,temperament and personality.as long as the lyrics are xtian u shld have no problem, since christianity is so full of hypocrites i'm nt suprised pple have issues with this

do you know how to stay on point? Is the thread about Christian hypocrites or what are you babbling about?

are there no hypocrites in your own atheist circles or whatever religion you feel like claiming?

how is Islamic hiphop connected to this topic? There's a Muslim section for you to state your concerns.

too know no go kill una undecided
Re: Why Do Some Christians Reject Gospel Hip Hop? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 5:15pm On May 08, 2009
it depends on nothing, music in whatever form, tempo or beat is a universal phenomena, GOD feeds on music, he enjoys it, infact he is hooked on music, worship etc.

It is not what goes into the body that corrupts but what comes out of the heart, or the evil tongue.

You can hate or be averse to the lyrics of some music, but you cannot deny that music evokes a certain spiritual, emotional and mental state.

If the music carries a song that is in bad taste to your religious preferences, hate it, so Rock Music that say "Demons We Love You" will be offensive to a christian because it is anti-christian

But confusing good beats with a song and using it as a rule fr what is good christian music is just daft.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Reject Gospel Hip Hop? by allycat: 8:49pm On May 09, 2009
Music has evolved over the years and every generation tends to stick to the style they are most comfortable with. When Don Moen and co first began to sing, many ofthe older generation of that time felt the music was not really Christian (Ask your parentsif they are 50 and above), their idea of Christian music then was conventional hymns (which many of us now consider boring). It was younger generation that began to appreciate that music. In the 1600's the type of music that was considered Christian then was what we now called classical music such as Handels Messiah and stuff like that. I dont think the Jews and early Christians in Samaria and Corinth sang any hymns as we know them. So be rest assured that music will always evolve and each generation will cling to what is familiar. As the Bible says in Eclesiatics there is a time for everything - Now is the time for Hip Hop gospel.

(1) (Reply)

God Said:make Sure They Give In Dollars. Does God Have Currency Preferences? / Virin Mary Sheding Blood / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome’s Daughter’s Engagement & Wedding Confirmed!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.