Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,241 members, 7,815,329 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:55 AM

Why Are Some Christians Poor? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Some Christians Poor? (8993 Views)

Some Muslims Will Make Heaven While Some Christians Will Not. / Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. / Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Some Christians Poor? by lazarus2: 9:27am On Feb 19, 2007
Pls i will like to know why some christians are poor. send me ur views thanks.
Re: Why Are Some Christians Poor? by Backslider(m): 11:01am On Feb 19, 2007
@Lazarus2

Poverty is a state of Mind. Dont be fooled The true wealth comes from God. some people are only in Charge of Gods wealth Some are also In Charge of Satan Wealth and they War Against God With their little money. Compare their wealth with Solomon.

worldly wealth is Evil and can kill the soul of a man. But the true wealth is when God is looked as the Provider and Giver. If you have Wealth and you don't have God you are doomed.

When you have great monetary wealth that Encourages you to Neglect God love you are doomed. Some people say Jesus was Rich and so they should be rich in the manner some people(mog) have Celebrity life The have forgotten about Modesty.

Let me tell of true Richness is the One that men bless God when they see you in the streets. I know a man that I remember when I was In Naija I never looked at him as anything they were "poor" but there was a day I went to there house and I saw that everything was changed.

The company he worked for years came and gave alot of things his house was furnished and other benefit came this man works in Flour Mill Nigeria Limited. The Blessing of God was on his life But I saw them as poor.

Blessed are the poor in spirit the man had a broken spirit. There are holy men in Naija but they are silent and their wealth is not their own because The Commander of there souls can require it (Soul and Money) at any Time.

Seek the Son and Love If he gives you wealth or Not
Re: Why Are Some Christians Poor? by cuteass1(f): 9:55am On Feb 21, 2007
@poster

Sorryooo, not to sound rude or something but what kind of a question is that
"why are some christians poor", just like asking "why are some women barren" or "why are some human beings crippled/blind"wink.
That's life, everybody can't have it all, the world would be boring coming to think of it, the contrast of life is what makes it exciting. So my dear such is life and life is such cool
Re: Why Are Some Christians Poor? by Grouppoint(m): 4:44pm On Feb 22, 2007
cute-ass:

@poster

Sorryooo, not to sound rude or something but what kind of a question is that
"why are some christians poor", just like asking "why are some women barren" or "why are some human beings crippled/blind"wink.
That's life, everybody can't have it all, the world would be boring coming to think of it, the contrast of life is what makes it exciting. So my dear such is life and life is such cool

It is a valid question.
Many Christains and Preachers say that Christ has given us victory over poverty. (He became poor, so that we can be rich).
Yet all over the place, you see millions of poor, struggling sick Christians.
So I'd say its a moot point.
Re: Why Are Some Christians Poor? by TV01(m): 6:25pm On Feb 22, 2007
Dey is poor cos dey has not got any money innit? Cud be dey was mogged mugged grin!
Re: Why Are Some Christians Poor? by Grouppoint(m): 6:57pm On Feb 22, 2007
Lol TV01, Is dey really poor because of that?
I think its because dey is black

Some Christains are poor because they have not done what it takes to get rich e.g. Hard work and Smart decision making.
This has nothing to do with their christianity.

Some other christians are poor because God is taking them through a phase of earthly poverty, like a wilderness, after which they wouild come into their promised land.
Re: Why Are Some Christians Poor? by Digiman(m): 9:11pm On Feb 22, 2007
You have a point there, a lot of christians pray, fast, give tithes and offerings but still struggle financially, they believe and confess Gods promises daily yet it is not manifested in their lives on the other hand non believeres seem to be prospering around them. - Maybe its because they ask amiss
Re: Why Are Some Christians Poor? by jagunlabi(m): 10:20pm On Feb 22, 2007
Digiman:

Maybe its because they ask amiss
Or maybe the power of prayers is just way overrated.
Prayers will never guarantee financial success in this life,take it or leave it.
Re: Why Are Some Christians Poor? by cuteass1(f): 12:34am On Feb 23, 2007
Grouppoint:

Lol TV01, Is dey really poor because of that?
I think its because dey is black

Some Christains are poor because they have not done what it takes to get rich e.g. Hard work and Smart decision making.

Some other christians are poor because God is taking them through a phase of earthly poverty, like a wilderness, after which they wouild come into their promised land.

I love you for taking those words out of my mouth, people are so fund of looking at the surface of quotations without understanding the biblical/deep meaning. Mind you, poor in your eyes/eyes of man is not poor in the eyes of God. Now we say that God's time is the best, and in God's own special time everybody will definitely get what is rightfully theirs.

Now i'm sure all you "bible readers" just like to read what suits you or maybe your own bible lost the pages that taught us that there's time for everything "time to weep and time to laugh" and all the rest, afterall even the "rich" go through hard times atimes.

jagunlabi:

Or maybe the power of prayers is just way overrated.
Prayers will never guarantee financial success in this life,take it or leave it.

Your comment is sooo irritating that i'm speechless, overrated?yea right  angry angry
Re: Why Are Some Christians Poor? by TV01(m): 12:42pm On Feb 23, 2007
Grouppoint:

This is true, but only applies to some.

Grouppoint:

This is true, but only applies to some.

Digiman:

You have a point there, a lot of christians pray, fast, give tithes and offerings but still struggle financially, they believe and confess Gods promises daily yet it is not manifested in their lives on the other hand non believeres seem to be prospering around them. - Maybe its because they ask amiss

Applies to some, so this is partly true.

jagunlabi:

This is true and so applies to some.

cute-ass:

I love you for taking those words out of my mouth, people are so fund of looking at the surface of quotations without understanding the biblical/deep meaning. Mind you, poor in your eyes/eyes of man is not poor in the eyes of God. Now we say that God's time is the best, and in God's own special time everybody will definitely get what is rightfully theirs.

Now i'm sure all you "bible readers" just like to read what suits you or maybe your own bible lost the pages that taught us that there's time for everything "time to weep and time to laugh" and all the rest, afterall even the "rich" go through hard times atimes.

This is true and so applies to some.

The simple truth is that not every Christian will be rich! Great wealth in itself should not even be a motivator or desire for Christians!

God bless (not necessarily with cash-money grin!)
Re: Why Are Some Christians Poor? by Nobody: 12:23am On Feb 24, 2007
@ topic,

Simply because not all christians can be rich
Re: Why Are Some Christians Poor? by naijacutee(f): 12:20pm On Feb 24, 2007
Interesting question. I can see where it's leading too. . . The people you're asking about - Are they christians first and then become poor or are they poor, then become christians and remain poor? undecided
Re: Why Are Some Christians Poor? by kassim2(m): 6:34pm On Feb 24, 2007
To me i beleive in the scripture very well,and the bible let me to no that Jesus christ was poor 4 us to become rich.so it depends on individual believes,and your faith.u must sow to reap which is a general phenomena.some don't want to give but xpecting to get,is some how.so must follow the procedure 4 u to become rich.is well cos our God is awesome.
Re: Why Are Some Christians Poor? by Seun(m): 6:51pm On Feb 24, 2007
Some Christians are poor because the pastor has "chopped" all their money.
Re: Why Are Some Christians Poor? by arizona(m): 8:43pm On Feb 24, 2007
All our fingers are not equal, why do you expect every body to be rich, Richness also depends on what you call rich. Most times people equate richness with having millions of money, riding the most expensive cars etc. i believe that everybody is rich by your own standard. there are certain things you have in life that other haven't. some are blind, cripples, beggars, uneducated, single ladies,single men, no job, low wages, no father, no mother, no siblings, no house, etc in any situation you find you self, thank your God because it could have been worse.
the problem with Nigerians is that, they look on all these pastors to perform miracles of wealth for them. the pastor get richer while his followers gets "p, "
Re: Why Are Some Christians Poor? by adconline(m): 8:55pm On Feb 24, 2007
any where in the bible where it says that Christians should not be poor? Jesus was born poor.
Re: Why Are Some Christians Poor? by otokx(m): 11:46pm On Feb 24, 2007
What is all this talk about the words "rich" or "poor"? Is it describing the presence/absence of money or the existence of christs righteousness?
Re: Why Are Some Christians Poor? by bunmii(f): 10:45am On Feb 25, 2007
i think the right question is why are people poor? is doesn't really matter ur religion if u goin 2 be poor u goin 2 be.
Re: Why Are Some Christians Poor? by agnesoseka: 3:05pm On Feb 25, 2007
MAJORITY OF XTIANS R RICH!!!
Re: Why Are Some Christians Poor? by akara(m): 7:29pm On Feb 25, 2007
@Lazarus

please answer the landers first

Are you a Christian?
Are you poor? Why?
Are you rich?

Why not if not?
Re: Why Are Some Christians Poor? by 9ja4eva: 7:35pm On Feb 25, 2007
Seun:

Some Christians are poor because the pastor has "chopped" all their money.

LOL.
Digiman:

Think so too. cool
Re: Why Are Some Christians Poor? by deejay1(m): 7:48pm On Feb 25, 2007
lazarus why dont u think enough b4 u post this. this is simple sense man r u a christainy hater or sometin that u make u 2 say y r some christain poor. why dont u say  why r some muslim poor? or why r some traditional worshipper poor? dont missinterprete the bible  simple sence. am a christain and am happy 2 tell u that god won't come down from heaven 2 give u money or asset u gatta 2 work 4 it. bible is just trying 2 let u no u can get rich if u work 4 it coz the lord was once poor and he lived a comfortable life b4 he died. have u not had that christiany is not a religionthink abt wat u ur post is all abt  and seun u said its bcoz there pastors don chop there money. agbalagba de ni eeeeeee seun. if u dont believe in sometin why on earth why u be trying 2 tell pple dat beleive in it off. just watch the church u go to maybe u r one of the stewards in ur church and is dat ao u do? oga admin agbalagba niyin ooo
Re: Why Are Some Christians Poor? by 9ja4eva: 8:34pm On Feb 25, 2007
deejay1:

lazarus why don't u think enough before u post this. this is simple sense man r u a christainy hater or sometin that u make you to say y r some christain poor. why don't u say why r some muslim poor? or why r some traditional worshipper poor? don't missinterprete the bible simple sence. am a christain and am happy 2 tell u that god won't come down from heaven 2 give u money or asset u gatta 2 work 4 it. bible is just trying 2 let u no u can get rich if u work 4 it because the lord was once poor and he lived a comfortable life before he died. have u not had that christiany is not a religionthink about what u your post is all about and seun u said its because there pastors don chop there money. agbalagba de ni eeeeeee seun. if u don't believe in sometin why on earth why u be trying 2 tell people that beleive in it off. just watch the church u go to maybe you're one of the stewards in your church and is that ao u do? oga admin agbalagba niyin ooo

Comedy
Re: Why Are Some Christians Poor? by Nobody: 8:20am On Feb 26, 2007
Question-
why are some Muslims, Hindus, Jews, Atheists, FreeThinkers ,Buddists, Scientologists, Pagans, and adherents of the worlds over 100 religions poor? DUHHH!

What kind of dumb question is that?
If u r poor, get off your ASS!
Mayb if u spent more time hustling and less time on this forum, you wouldn't be asking that question!

We are all ultimately responsible for our financial success in this world.as to the next, well, I'll see when we get there
Re: Why Are Some Christians Poor? by Rogo: 1:32pm On Feb 26, 2007
Attainment in life is a state of mind and choice. some christian are poor because they refuse to apply the principles of God and life. life is full of principles. take charge of these things and freedom of riches will come. see at the top
Re: Why Are Some Christians Poor? by favourN(f): 5:46pm On Feb 26, 2007
if u are a true christian is not ur portion to be poor.
go 4 deliverance, read malachai 3,payur tithe nlook on GOd of righteousnees
Re: Why Are Some Christians Poor? by Digiman(m): 9:07pm On Feb 26, 2007
favour N:

if u are a true christian is not your portion to be poor.
go 4 deliverance, read malachai 3,payur tithe nlook on GOd of righteousnees

By referring to Malachi I assume you mean the famous argument preachers give for thithing:
"
Robbing God
   6 "I the LORD do not change. So you, O descendants of Jacob, are not destroyed. 7 Ever since the time of your forefathers you have turned away from my decrees and have not kept them. Return to me, and I will return to you," says the LORD Almighty.
     "But you ask, 'How are we to return?'

8 "Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me.
     "But you ask, 'How do we rob you?'
     "In tithes and offerings. 9 You are under a curse—the whole nation of you—because you are robbing me. 10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it."

Do you know this was referring to the Levites ?, secondly in this day an age is anyone except a Levite authorised to collect tithes?

I have been a christian for over 20 years, I have been in meetings where after preaching on tithing there is an alter call for all those in financial hardship/debt to come out and be prayed for, guess what , almost 90% of the church members step forward, the majority have I have known to be christains for over 10 years , are you trying to say they do not  tithe ?

Am I saying God is a liar - No, its people who use this extract from Malachi who are lying !

This is the promise:

"Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it."

How many tithing christians do you know that are so blessed that their blessings a over flowing ?
Re: Why Are Some Christians Poor? by 9ja4eva: 2:58am On Feb 27, 2007
Christains r nt d only poor ones oh.I dnt believe in d word poor sha
Re: Why Are Some Christians Poor? by charm01(m): 10:05am On Feb 27, 2007
Poverty is a trap.For a christian to break away from this trap,he has a great need of knowledge,revelation knowledge about the promises of God for His children as spelt out in his word.
Re: Why Are Some Christians Poor? by TV01(m): 10:32am On Feb 27, 2007
charm01:

Poverty is a trap.

Riches are a snare. For a christian to break away from this snare,he has a great need of knowledge,revelation knowledge about the promises of God for His children as spelt out in his word.
Re: Why Are Some Christians Poor? by goldenray(m): 12:48pm On Feb 27, 2007
very interesting question. the simple answer to that question however is so very dificult to carry out.
there are two reasons why a christian will remain poor, regardless of how devouted he is.forget the fact that God lets some people face the realities of life so they come out stronger. that is only for a period even if long. the clear reasons are:
1. coolinability to overcome SELF. this is one of the hardest things to do. can you think of others and go the extra lenght of helping them out even when it is inconvenient for you to do so? are your thoughts only bordered on helpin yourself first before others? that is SELF-a big limitation to wealth.
2. there is this principle and the truth is it does't really matter if u are a christian or not. if you carry it out, expect immediate results, 'where there is a scattering, there must be a gathering'. thats it. you scatter to others, regardless of what you are, you MUST SURELY gather in return.the bible says so.i'm a living proof of it.i used to be a selfish person even though very hard working.but when these concepts were revealed to me, not to think of how to sustain myself, but seek ways of helping others, things changed dramatically and immediately. from paying tithe of apprxt 8-9k a month, it rocketed to well over 20k per month and still rising cos i ain't stoppin there.now i dont frown when i pay tithes. its a thing of joy! and i pay WITHOUT expecting or thinking of what i will get in return.
wow, long sermon. i can go on and on, but hey, try them out.it is more blessed to give than to receive. God bless you all
Re: Why Are Some Christians Poor? by goldenray(m): 1:00pm On Feb 27, 2007
lemme make something a little bit clearer. Poverty is not being poor. Looks like most people are mixing both up. poverty is lacking in the essentials of life. you are never satisfied because what you have is never enuff no matter how much it is. being poor is simply not having! thats why poverty is not the portion of christians. christians can be poor and still be christians. but to be in poverty? something is eriously wrong with that life.It's a crime for a bible believing,christ-loving believer to be in poverty!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Does Not Going To Church Make One A Bad Christian? / Why Is There No Single Objective Proof That God Exists / Linear Chance?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.