Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,663 members, 7,816,701 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:38 PM

Barcanista: Biafrans Are Not Igbos - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Barcanista: Biafrans Are Not Igbos (3156 Views)

Benue May Share Similar Culture, But We’re Not Igbos At All – Jerry Agada / Yorubas fought the North to make Goodluck Jonathan President not Igbos / Anioma/asaba People Are Not Igbos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Barcanista: Biafrans Are Not Igbos by Nobody: 6:52am On Oct 27, 2015
LordMecuzy:
Long Live TonyeBarcanister My Brother
they are so disappointed that a well known SS voice could kick against a phantom biafra. Even I couldn't believe Truckpusher could as well. I've always thought the dude was ibo.

Reality has now slap the ibos in the face. They thought their support for jonathan was all they needed to cajole the minorities to themselves. These minorities now have an identity and would protect it to the very last of their breathe. Even the so-called ibos in SS will gladly choose Niger Delta republic over biafra owing to the fact that all a nation needs to survive lies in the region.

Who wants to be landlocked?

The yorubas have been vindicated
Re: Barcanista: Biafrans Are Not Igbos by otil1: 8:32am On Oct 27, 2015
Tycoflu:

E na ako bullshit. Compare Enugu of 2015 with that of 2007 before Chime. He did a lot and never show casted his achievements on tv; a rare virtue among Nigerian Politicians.

Na who be dis?

Park well joor. Wetin you know?

I won't compare Enugu; I will compare Enugu State. Chime wasn't elected as Mayor of the City of Enugu. If I want to compare, I start from my LG. You, compare your own LG, not Enugu.

Unless you are one of the SAS abi SSAS? Otimkpus! Or one of the chicks?

Anyway sha, I have very little to say on Chime. His ummunna in Udi kpom kwem have given him a rounded "F". No be me talk am.

Bye

Re: Barcanista: Biafrans Are Not Igbos by Nobody: 9:40am On Oct 27, 2015
atbu1983:

Since ur 5 eastern states have everything why not make Biafra ur 5 eastern state only.
Stop dragging any south south nations.
The whole of Delta State (Including Asaba) was never at anytime in history part of Eastern region and will never be.
Were you not the 1diot that said Edo has oil, coal and limestone why not make Edo a country of its own? Why are you bent on dragging the entire SS into your animalistic delusion? Do you know you don't have anything in common with somebody that is from anioma, kwale, ikwerre and the rest of them?
Coming to what you said about Delta state not included in the history of Eastern region, can you educate me on this.. Before the amalgamation of this contraption in 1914, was there anything like Eastern region or Western region?

1 Like

Re: Barcanista: Biafrans Are Not Igbos by Forwetinnah: 12:35pm On Oct 27, 2015
While we argue and bicker Over trivial things the Hausa/Fulanis are having a swell time taking us for phoools. Enough of all these Banter...lets get one thing out of the way first which is separating from this oppressed Union called "Nigeria" but then serious issues have to be addressed so that some ethnic groups don't move from one oppression into another. Biko..this banter haff do joor!!
Re: Barcanista: Biafrans Are Not Igbos by mej67: 1:18pm On Oct 27, 2015
Unemadu:
mej67 nwanne! i thought u and ur evil twin otil1 have been kidnapped. Good to see u guyz. Whats happening in our dear Enugu state

Hey Unemadu, you are a good man and kind hearted. I am okay. I never left actually, but we were done with Enugu far back and we all moved on.

The Gov, this time is something else. That guy has no business in govt house leading the executive. He's a legislator! Look at all he has been doing -just playing to the gallery. No content, I make bold to say. Formed a committee on Nsukka urban, reversed it quickly when people started to complain; formed a useless economic advisory committee that should have been his elders council and now borrowing billions to fund heavy SUVs for commissioners.

All these are after many rounds of thank you tour to failed former Gov. Chime.

Bros, na now we go know. This one is not it at all. Anytime you see him at National Economic Council (NEC), he's sleeping. If not sleeping, he will be picking his nostrils. I have never heard him comment or try to move into the right cliques.

Enugu is in God's hands.

Di ok.

1 Like

Re: Barcanista: Biafrans Are Not Igbos by zoobz88: 6:32am On Oct 28, 2015
The OP is correct. Biafra is not just Igbo. I wish most Nigerians understood this. Also Biafra does not have to mean civil war. Nations can negotiate terms of separation intellectually.

1 Like

Re: Barcanista: Biafrans Are Not Igbos by PRYCE(m): 6:52am On Oct 28, 2015
bugzbunny:

Barcanista is an attention seeker
I urge all patriots including the Op to ignore his thread... D dude is confused.. Collectively we can make him irrelevant on Nairaland...
Then you have a ton of work to do in your hands!
Re: Barcanista: Biafrans Are Not Igbos by princemillla(m): 7:03am On Oct 28, 2015
Sometimes i wonder why people blame barcanista?
I av come to realise that no matter how knowledgeable a man becomes, whatever I know within me always surpass him or her.

Just becuz I read all is wonderful write up doesn't abase my knowledge to his, rather I see it as his own point of view.

But becuz we've seen him to be a mighty man, once he Bleep up it pained us.

@Op there is nothing wrong in educating Barcanista which why I am saying nice write up to you. God bless you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Barcanista: Biafrans Are Not Igbos by Codedb2: 7:04am On Oct 28, 2015
TonyeBarcanista is a spin doctor cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Barcanista: Biafrans Are Not Igbos by Codedb2: 7:13am On Oct 28, 2015
AZeD1:
Using a 1967 map in 2015? Like seriously?
Are you going to also fight Cameroon for Bakassi since it was also part of the Eastern region then?

Abokii
You mean every year nations should change their maps?
Are you okay

1 Like

Re: Barcanista: Biafrans Are Not Igbos by happydays1(m): 7:43am On Oct 28, 2015
Very nice write up by op. there are indigence in all biafra territories. I'm from umuahia, abia - ibo. I'm an indigen. I can't lay claim to ph, that have their own indigens- ikkwere, ijaws and co. if this struggle must succeed we must respect each other. Never mind some little brain fellows that claim wrongfully. Maybe what they mean is ph belong to ibo speaking ikweres and ijaws n co. the fact remains we and the North are not the same in every thing. my wife is an ijaw, I don't feel as if iv married outside.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Barcanista: Biafrans Are Not Igbos by banio: 8:32am On Oct 28, 2015
Which Igbo community is close to Port Harcourt that Igbos speak of Port Harcourt. We have the following communities bothering Port Harcourt: Isaka, Diobu, Amadi, Abuloma, Elekahia etc. These communities are just 10 minutes ride to Port Harcourt main town, that's the lands sold to the whites by the Okrikans and Ikwerres.
Igbo communities are not in Rivers State, so Igbos MUST SHUT UP
Re: Barcanista: Biafrans Are Not Igbos by Nobody: 8:45am On Oct 28, 2015
mej67:
When you research the term ‘spin doctor’, you are likely going to have such definitions as “Somebody who works in or for the media who ensures that the public understands things from a certain perspective” and “a person (as a political aide) responsible for ensuring that others interpret matters from a particular point of view”

TonyeBarcanista is a spin doctor. I must confess that I am one of those who have been proud of his work. Ride on, Barcanister.

I make this current submission in response to TonyeBarcanista’s “Dear Igbos, We Don't Hate You... We Are Not Your Antagonists” at Politics – Nairaland1, which essentially wanted the Igbos not to ever make claim to Port Harcourt, that Port Harcourt is not Igboland.

Guess what? Tonyebarcanister is right! Port Harcourt remains the aboriginal home to Ikweres and Okirikas, as he said; not Igbos.

Now, to the point. Barcanista, Sir, Igbos are not claiming Port Harcourt. Igbos never at any point claimed Port Harcourt and I am sure that there is no plan or intention for the Igbos to ever lay claim to Port Harcourt.

Issue is, there is now a growing number of spin doctors who equate Biafra with Igbo. That is an unfortunate twist of history for Biafra is not Igbo or should I say Igbo alone. Attributing Biafra to Igbo is incorrect. Igbo may be predominant in Biafra but it is wrong to think of Biafra territory as Igbo land. Biafra was Biafra as then declared and Igboland is but part of it. Whenever Biafra is defined or discussed, Port Harcourt will be part of the territory that was Biafra. That is just the historical facts. Can TonyeBarcanista disprove this fact? No, he can’t. Reason: There has been no new discussion and definition of Biafra territory except as it was on the day of declaration of the republic in 1967. Given, the Nigerian army decimated and devastated the entire area and re-annexed it into ‘one Nigeria’, but anytime reference is made to Biafra, what is meant is that original nation that was and was no more.

Ikwere was Biafra. Bonny was Biafra and Port Harcourt was Biafra.

Today, the issue of Biafra is becoming narrowly defined as an Igbo affair, but that is wrong from historical perspective. Biafra was not an Igbo-alone project! That is revisionism. That is a fallacy.

Hear TonyeBarcanista “Show Respect For Our Territories: I believe that it was Kanu that spread the fable that Portharcourt is an Igbo city, which some of you now call Igweocha. This is absolutely insulting on us the Okrikans/Ijaws especially.” This is a bad spin. If you replace “Igbo” with “Biafra” in above expression, you get the fact. Port Harcourt was a Biafran city. IPOB is about Biafra not Igbo.

Quite Frankly, I don’t really know much about Igweocha, but natives may have an old dialect for referring to a place yonder their territory. I have heard of Fernanda Po, I have heard of Potokiri but these are colloquial references to places. Even the Biafran administration did not rename Port Harcourt.

For all those being deceived by spin doctors that Igbos brought about Biafra, please a good look at history books will be necessary.

In Barcanistar’s style, I usher the following points:

1. The geographic territory of the defunct Biafra nation has never been in doubt and actually pre-dated Nigeria2.
As a simple guide, there were three regions –the Eastern, Western and Norther Regions of Nigeria and later, the Mid-Western region. Biafra would be equal to the entire old Eastern Region and mainly the Igbo-speaking Mid-west. The Biafran war was never about expanding the Igbo territory, but to defend the new nation called Republic of Biafra. Alas, it became impossible. Please note this quote from Wikipedia on Biafra (para. 6) “Biafra as a territory existed long before the amalgamation and independence of Nigeria as a republic.”

2. Biafra was NOT an Igbo affair:
The old Eastern Region was home to Igbos, of course. So it was for many other tribes, all making up one region –Efiks, Ibibios, etc., etc., quite a long list; and they all existed and operated well in the region that, at some point, had a higher economic growth rate than the Asian Tigers. It is on record that the man that suggested the name “Biafra” was Chief Frank Opigo an Izon, not Igbo, who later served as the administrator of Yenagoa Province of Biafra and the commissioner for rural development3. The second in command to Col. Ojukwu, the Vice President of the defunct Biafra was Obong Philip Efiong, who actually became the Head of State as Ojukwu departed and saw to the surrender and closure of the Bifran chapter as at then. Not an Igbo man. He is from current Akwa Ibom. I don’t need to mention Victor Banjo and others.

Note that at the declaration of independent Biafra Republic on 30 May 1967, there was no record of revolt in any part of the then Eastern Region (Biafra). The Ikweres did not revolt, the Okirikas did not, the Efiks did not, the Izons did not. We were all together in the venture until they started to divide us.

3. Igbos never annex territory:
Start from the defunct Eastern Region; although the Igbos was the predominant tribe by population, there were no incidences of annexation of territories or acquisition of homesteads of other tribes within the Region. The Region was peaceful and was able to achieve great economic feats that would have been impossible in an environment of hostility in between the tribes or between Igbos and the other tribes. Igbos simply need to trade with others, not acquire their lands, territories, properties and wives. What Igbos make from trading is enough for them, and they use it to buy, acquire and develop property, not annex or expand territory. Igboland has a more or less known and fixed territory and has been so for many centuries. Igbos do not want to conquer at the same time, they do not want to be conquered,

4. Denial of Biafra is an induced reaction since the end of the war:
As Biafran terrirories fell into the hands of Nigerian army, denial of Biafra was made a condition for staying alive for all those in the Biafran territory and every Biafran was faced with either accepting and professing “one Nigeria” or execution. We all professed “one Nigeria”, no shame about it. One has to be alive to agitate.

[b]5. The current agitation for Biafra hopes to adopt a different approach –a civil approach, not war:
Other than violence and strife, I am one of those who believe that something positive can be achieved from drawing attention to the poor conditions of a people forced to be in an arrangement that is not beneficial to them. Such was the birth of the concept of indigenous of people of Biafra, which, I believe, is hoped to be more acceptable and understandable, especially to the international community and the UN. Of course, in fullness of time, there shall be discussions and choices on who wishes to be in the new Biafra because, Biafrans cannot complain about Nigeria being foisted on them and then end up foisting Biafra on those that do not want it.

On another note, for all those being deceived by spin doctors that Igbos want to dominate you, that Igbos want to expand and take your homes, please worry not. Igbos are not interested in these things and I can prove it. Ask yourself, whose territory have Igbos annexed before in history? Who have the Igbos really dominated before? Find the answers to this question by knowing that as Igbos travel all over the world, if their goal was to dominate or annex territories, they would not be everywhere you find the Igbos today. Igbos would rather lord it on people they are able to dominate or find it easy to take their territory rather than being in the developed Western world, the now blossoming Asia and in fact, in every part of the globe.

Truth be said, the Igbo simply want to be successful. The Igbo want to live decently. The Igbo detest strife. It spoils business for them. The Igbo is not after your land or territory. If an Igbo man wants your land, he will come to you with a keg of palm wine or equivalent like carton of Carlo Rossi, ask you nicely, negotiate with you, and pay you a reasonable price in exchange.

Now, speaking from Igbo perspective, for our neighbours in South South (mind you, I did not say brothers), it remains to be seen what the gain is to you of siding the grand beneficiaries of the Nigerian project. First, to weaken Biafra, there was the first creation of States to give you a false sense of independence (from Igbos). But that ended up the way it has today –with your resources being spread across the length and breadth of the Northern Nigeria who now has no incentive to collect taxes from their people because your crude revenue is just what they need. Check the recent listing of States and their IGR4 and see what is happening.

They made you believe the Igbo was/is your problem but that is not supported from any empirical evidence. Imagine if all that revenue did not have to be spread to Chad basin. I sometimes like to fantasize about this. Meanwhile, if it is about crude and gas. The Igbo is not as baren as Sokoto and Borno.

Anyway, going on, following the first creation of states, was the declaration of abandoned property, which basically was about bribing you with the ‘spoils of war’, to strengthen your resolve to part ways with Igbos forever. Extreme divide and rule, I'd say. This you gladly embraced and went ahead to appropriate Igbo property in Port Harcourt and environs. This, Igbos have long forgiven and moved on. That's history now. But the question continues to be there –is the South-Southerner better off today? What I personally see are issues everywhere -the needless killing of Prof Ken Saro Wiwa, the devastation of Ogoni land which became an evenue of politicking even when President Jonathan was there, the begging for 50% derivation, the broader Niger delta militancy, etc., etc...

That's an aside. The choice remains yours. In the new Biafra, if you do not want, you will not be part. But since discussion is about the only Biafra we have always known, Tonyebarcanister, if you are truly from Okrika, you are a Biafran, that is, if you agree that Biafrans are those that inhabit the territory then and today referred as Biafra; Port Harcourt a Biafran city, Okrika and Ikwere, Biafran territories (of course, as it then was). Let me hear you say tuffiakwa! But, yes, you are not Igbo and there is no interest in making you one.

Notes
1. https://www.nairaland.com/2691679/dear-igbos-dont-hate-not
2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biafra
3. https://www.nairaland.com/2689230/photo-man-suggested-name-biafra#39345850
4. https://www.nairaland.com/2689625/states-internally-generated-revenue-see

rivers state is an igbo state

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pls What Is Joe Ajaero's State Of Origin? / See The Faces Of The PDP Governors & Senators That Humiliated Sheriff Today(Pics / Should Hijab Be Banned In Osun ?, America As An Example !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.