Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,920 members, 7,817,695 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:28 PM

Opobo And Bonny Are Parts Of Igboland. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Opobo And Bonny Are Parts Of Igboland. (13335 Views)

"Port-Harcourt Is Part Of Igboland And Igbos Developed Lagos" - Pat Utomi / Tonye Barcanister Ndokis, Bonny Are Tight Ibo Tribes / Relocate Boko Haram Prisoners Out Of Igboland Now - Ohaneze Tells Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Opobo And Bonny Are Parts Of Igboland. by peleson: 4:04pm On Oct 27, 2015
bigfrancis21:

You just need to hear them speak. The people of Opobo and Bonny all speak one native language - Igbo. No other language whatsoever do they speak in addition. Neighbouring towns surrounding Bonny may still speak Ibani but Bonny town proper speaks pure Igbo. The first Igbo bible was written in Bonny Igbo, and the dialect is notable for saying, 'ike m' for 'me' which funny enough means 'my buttocks' in other Igbo dialects and 'ike gi' for 'you/yours' which means 'your buttocks' in other Igbo dialects. Chinua Achebe, in one of his books, had written about a funny Igbo christian interpreter from a distant land to his town who was known for saying, 'ike m' and 'ie gi', which confused the people of his village. Many of these people, though, bear 'Ibani' names such as Fiberesima etc. they barely know the meaning of in addition to Igbo names as well. They all practise Igbo customs, namely 'omugwo', and celebrate Igbo festivals they share in common with their Ndoki Igbo neighbours such as the Nwaotam festival. However, their dressing style is Rivers/Riverine style.

Also, parts of Okirika in Rivers state are also Igbo-speaking. Hilda Dokubo Mrakpor, the Nollywood actress, is a Rivers state indigene from Ogu-Bolo LGA who speaks fluent Igbo. Patience Jonathan is an Okirika woman who speaks Igbo as native language.

Ignore many things you read on nairaland. People just come on here to create false impressions about certain realities. All you need to do is visit these towns to verify for yourself.
Lies! The true language spoken in Bonny and Opobo has always been Ibani ijaw language. The ubani spoken that u refer as ibo language is a broken language with missed diallect from surrounding native towns which started in the 17th century during king jaja for facilitating trade! It was established as a trade language for the hinterland since the people of the hinterland could not understand English language
Re: Opobo And Bonny Are Parts Of Igboland. by peleson: 4:07pm On Oct 27, 2015
bigfrancis21:

You can't be from Opobo and Bonny as the same time as they are 2 distant places from each other sharing similar ancestral patterns of origin.
she is from Ibani!
Fixed!
What she told u was that she is from a common origin. Bonny and Opobo are one blood- Ibani only divided by politics
Re: Opobo And Bonny Are Parts Of Igboland. by IGBOPRINCE: 7:45pm On Oct 27, 2015
bigfrancis21:

You just need to hear them speak. The people of Opobo and Bonny all speak one native language - Igbo. No other language whatsoever do they speak in addition. Neighbouring towns surrounding Bonny may still speak Ibani but Bonny town proper speaks pure Igbo. The first Igbo bible was written in Bonny Igbo, and the dialect is notable for saying, 'ike m' for 'me' which funny enough means 'my buttocks' in other Igbo dialects and 'ike gi' for 'you/yours' which means 'your buttocks' in other Igbo dialects. Chinua Achebe, in one of his books, had written about a funny Igbo christian interpreter from a distant land to his town who was known for saying, 'ike m' and 'ie gi', which confused the people of his village. Many of these people, though, bear 'Ibani' names such as Fiberesima etc. they barely know the meaning of in addition to Igbo names as well. They all practise Igbo customs, namely 'omugwo', and celebrate Igbo festivals they share in common with their Ndoki Igbo neighbours such as the Nwaotam festival. However, their dressing style is Rivers/Riverine style.

Also, parts of Okirika in Rivers state are also Igbo-speaking. Hilda Dokubo Mrakpor, the Nollywood actress, is a Rivers state indigene from Ogu-Bolo LGA who speaks fluent Igbo. Patience Jonathan is an Okirika woman who speaks Igbo as native language.

Ignore many things you read on nairaland. People just come on here to create false impressions about certain realities. All you need to do is visit these towns to verify for yourself.
Re: Opobo And Bonny Are Parts Of Igboland. by stebell(m): 10:07am On Oct 28, 2015
Curlieweed:

Charles (Charlie Boy) Oputa is from Oguta in IMO State. Is he Ijaw or Igbo? After you've answered that question, do a Facebook search with the name Oputa. You will discover that the majority of people with that name are from Bayelsa.

The question of ethnic identity is a bit more complex than some of you simplistically put it. Some communities may have people with diverse origins as inhabitants. I will rather go with what the inhabitants choose to call themselves than the opinion of outsiders.

Your attempt at concatenating Opobo with Bonny is misleading. Opobo and Bonny were not even in the same province before the creation of Rivers State. Opobo lands were acquired from the Obolo and belong to himself and his descendants.

Since yu know the history of my place more than me, can yu pls tell me where the Opobo man came from or did we jus fall frm the moon??
For the the Opobo man, Bonny is our ancestral home and no place else. We are Ibanis and bear Ibani/Ijaw names. there is nothing in me that shows I am Ibo. so pls continue with ur IPOB agitation I pray it comes through, but I'll not be blackmailed into being part of Biafra.
Re: Opobo And Bonny Are Parts Of Igboland. by stebell(m): 10:11am On Oct 28, 2015
bigfrancis21:

You can't be from Opobo and Bonny as the same time as they are 2 distant places from each other sharing similar ancestral patterns of origin.

take it or leave it
Re: Opobo And Bonny Are Parts Of Igboland. by Curlieweed: 10:23am On Oct 28, 2015
stebell:

Since yu know the history of my place more than me, can yu pls tell me where the Opobo man came from or did we jus fall frm the moon??
For the the Opobo man, Bonny is our ancestral home and no place else. We are Ibanis and bear Ibani/Ijaw names. there is nothing in me that shows I am Ibo. so pls continue with ur IPOB agitation I pray it comes through, but I'll not be blackmailed into being part of Biafra.

You're clearly mistaking me for someone else. In my comment I clearly stated that the indigenes of each community should be allowed to state what they are. I really don't give a flying fckk one way or the other. If you read my posts, you will see that I am not in support of a Biafra 2,0 that includes even one non-affirming Igbo sub-ethnic group. In fact I stated that I will stand with the "one" Nigeria proponents and fight such a monster.
Re: Opobo And Bonny Are Parts Of Igboland. by stebell(m): 10:29am On Oct 28, 2015
Curlieweed:

You're clearly mistaking me for someone else. In my comment I clearly stated that the indigenes of each community should be allowed to state what they are. I really don't give a flying fckk one way or the other. If you read my posts, you will see that I am not in support of a Biafra 2,0 that includes even one non-affirming Igbo sub-ethnic group. In fact I stated that I will stand with the "one" Nigeria proponents and fight such a monster.

Indeed, it was meant for someone else I had this arguement with.
I love Biafra, but wat I dont like is them especially those here trying to change the history of other ethnic grioup to suit themselves.
Re: Opobo And Bonny Are Parts Of Igboland. by ikennaj44: 10:45am On Oct 28, 2015
claims and counter-claims everywhere, if opobo are ijaw, why do they speak igbo as their native language instead of jaw language, do igbos Colonized them? it is a well established fact that the first king and the founder of opobo was an igbo man, who settle in on empty land where they presently are today, it is blatant lie for an inter-trade between two group to completely oust out one anothers language, atleast the alleged dying language must survive because not all the inhabitants of each groups are into said trade, it does not sound logic to rational minds. Nigeria was colonized by Britain, have nigerians lost their native languages.

below is what an opobo lady said
http://www.africabusinessworld.com/opobo-stepping-forward-to-claim-their-igbo-heritage/2015/10/27/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opobo And Bonny Are Parts Of Igboland. by momonny: 10:50am On Oct 28, 2015
pazienza:
The Ottams were the aborigines of Opobo, they were Igbos.

the Opobo and Bonny people are not Igbos, student of history knows the aborigins bought so many igbo slaves and through this contact their language was aldultrated. The original language of these people is not igbo and almost in extintion and it is called ebgani. Moreso when king jaja came to opobo he met some people there. When u hear the language the nkoro people speaks u cant say opobo is igbo

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Opobo And Bonny Are Parts Of Igboland. by momonny: 11:02am On Oct 28, 2015
ikennaj44:
claims and counter-claims everywhere, if opobo are ijaw, why do they speak igbo as their native language instead of jaw language, do igbos Colonized them? it is a well established fact that the first king and the founder of opobo was an igbo man, who settle in on empty land where they presently are today, it is blatant lie for an inter-trade between two group to completely oust out one anothers language, atleast the alleged dying language must survive because not all the inhabitants of each groups are into said trade, it those not sound logic to rational minds. Nigeria was colonized by Britain, have nigerians lost their native languages.

below is a what an opobo lady said

http://www.africabusinessworld.com/opobo-stepping-forward-to-claim-their-igbo-heritage/2015/10/27/
Opobo dont speak igbo as their native language they speak ibani. Like birom people in jos speak Hausa but they are not Hausa. Igbo is a general language spoken by everybody in Bonny/Opobo but their main language is ibani so dont mix up.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Opobo And Bonny Are Parts Of Igboland. by ikennaj44: 11:24am On Oct 28, 2015
momonny:
Opobo dont speak igbo as their native language they speak ibani. Like birom people in jos speak Hausa but they are not Hausa. Igbo is a general language spoken by everybody in Bonny/Opobo but their main language is ibani so dont mix up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opobo/Nkoro
momonny, thanks for your input, though I will not engage in a prolonged debate with you. please can you expatiate the disappearance of the native language, what is mystery behind such sporadic transition?
Re: Opobo And Bonny Are Parts Of Igboland. by Abagworo(m): 11:35am On Oct 28, 2015
momonny:

Opobo was founded by an Igbo man in 19th century and has never spoken Ibani. It is recently Ibani is being introduced. Bonny and Finima were the ones speaking Ibani.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Opobo And Bonny Are Parts Of Igboland. by momonny: 11:58am On Oct 28, 2015
Abagworo:

Opobo was founded by an Igbo man in 19th century and has never spoken Ibani. It is recently Ibani is being introduced. Bonny and Finima were the ones speaking Ibani.
thats a lie, stop distorting history when king jaja came to opobo people where their. Do ur research

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Opobo And Bonny Are Parts Of Igboland. by momonny: 12:07pm On Oct 28, 2015
ikennaj44:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opobo/Nkoro
momonny, thanks for your input, though I will not engage in a prolonged debate with you. please can you expatiate the disappearance of the native language, what is mystery behind such sporadic transition?
ibani is been spoken till tomorrow in opobo and bonny but like every other language that is disappearing the reasons are because our parent have refused to speak it to us instead they use english and the general igbo language to communicate. Please find time to research on the aborigins of opobo
Re: Opobo And Bonny Are Parts Of Igboland. by Dhugal: 12:14pm On Oct 28, 2015
momonny:
thats a lie, stop distorting history when king jaja came to opobo people where their. Do ur research
Jaja didn't "come" to Opobo,he established Opobo.Took the virgin land from the Ibibio tribe that originally claimed it and established a state on it.Opobo is his personal property and that of his progeny for life to come.
Who taught you all these nonsense you're spewing out?.
Opobo's history is so recent it can never be rewritten nor changed by anybody.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opobo And Bonny Are Parts Of Igboland. by Abagworo(m): 12:21pm On Oct 28, 2015
momonny:

History of Opobo is too open to be debated. Any other people there were of Ibibio.

1 Like

Re: Opobo And Bonny Are Parts Of Igboland. by Nobody: 12:34pm On Oct 28, 2015
An opobo Man posted this when asked why opobo speaks igbo

opobo is igboland founded by an igbo man , yes! Part of the grand design to severe the Igbo ties is not unconnected with the long kingship tussle that greeted Opobo at the demise of her last Amanyanabo. As we all know, there was a gang up by some chieftaincy houses of Ijaw origins in Opobo to unseat the Jajas. But after 30 years of legal battle, the Nigerian Supreme Court, on the 23rd of April, 2003, ruled that “Opobo is not a traditional town as we know it. It is a Settlement founded by King Jaja, and remains his estate and that of his descendants” Led by the legal giant, the late Chief G.C.M Onyiuke (SAN), the Jajas' authority over Opobo was permanently signed and sealed.
It was after the landmark ruling that the family established a foundation in honor of their patriach and quickly appointed Anyim Pius Anyim, the then Senate President, as the life Chairman. Thus, the success or otherwise of de-tonguing Opobo - from Igbo to Ijoid Ibani - will largely depend on the acceptance of the Jaja dynasty. Opobo was founded on Igbo language. And King Dandeson Douglas Jaja, the man I saw at Peter Obi’s farewell gathering at Awka, does not appear like someone who would play with history and tradition.
Opobo is one settlement that will be difficult for revisionists to undo as all documents signed by King Jaja himself on behalf of his estate were well secured. And which helped the surviving off-springs reclaim their father’s settlement in the Supreme . Therefore, it is only the Jaja family that can determine the cultural identity of Opobo.
In August 2014, at the Elekahia Stadium, Port Harcourt, Hon. Dakuku Peterside representing Opobo told the “unification” gathering of Ohaneze Ndigbo that “I’m a full blooded Igboman….My town, Opobo, was founded by an Igbo, the mighty King Jaja...”

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Opobo And Bonny Are Parts Of Igboland. by cheruv: 12:46pm On Oct 28, 2015
Dhugal:

Jaja didn't "come" to Opobo,he established Opobo.Took the virgin land from the Ibibio tribe that originally claimed it and established a state on it.Opobo is his personal property and that of his progeny for life to come.
Exactly!!
Opobo is the property of Jaja and his dynasty and nothing can change that. I'd even suggest that in addition to having King Jaja's portrait on our currency notes,that his descendants be crowned Grand Duke of the seas(Obi Ukwu nāchi Osimiri Biafra) with the rights and privileges that come with such position smiley

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opobo And Bonny Are Parts Of Igboland. by momonny: 3:14pm On Oct 28, 2015
Dhugal:

king jaja was the only ibo man in that entourage.
Re: Opobo And Bonny Are Parts Of Igboland. by Dhugal: 3:49pm On Oct 28, 2015
momonny:
king jaja was the only ibo man in that entourage.
Whether or not he was the only one,is immaterial.Opobo was/is his personal estate,him and descendants of his body.He made sure of that and it's been written in law.The only ones to have any say about what ethnicity Opobo is,is the King and members of the royal family by blood.None other.
Not chiefs,families or whatever

3 Likes

Re: Opobo And Bonny Are Parts Of Igboland. by ijawcitizen(m): 11:06am On May 16, 2016
pazienza:
The Ottams were the aborigines of Opobo, they were Igbos.
Why are you igbos behaving so erratically like tormented souls. Always looking for peoples land to claim and yet you still wonder why people detest you. Do you think this attitude of yours is normal? Do you even imagine how you would feel if people start claiming your land eg Onitsha where the king is of Bini descent.

5 Likes

Re: Opobo And Bonny Are Parts Of Igboland. by 99xtr6r: 11:27am On May 16, 2016
ijawcitizen:
Why are you igbos behaving so erratically like tormented souls. Always looking for peoples land to claim and yet you still wonder why people detest you. Do you think this attitude of yours is normal? Do you even imagine how you would feel if people start claiming your land eg Onitsha

How can Igbos go about grabbing lands from a people without land? Is there any part of history that had Igbos establish empires to dispossess other ethnic groups of their lands? Igbos are too civilised for that.

If you're sure of your silly online rants venture into Opobo and Bonny and do the needful. And if you're not man enough to do that do take your frustrations elsewhere!

Stop ranting like a demented soul and disgracing your people in the public.

Greedy, irredeemable lots!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opobo And Bonny Are Parts Of Igboland. by CSTR6: 11:38am On May 16, 2016
ijawcitizen:
Why are you igbos behaving so erratically like tormented souls. Always looking for peoples land to claim and yet you still wonder why people detest you. Do you think this attitude of yours is normal? Do you even imagine how you would feel if people start claiming your land eg Onitsha
people detest igbos? Who are these people?
Anyway, a lion does not concern itself with the opinions of sheeps. Every inch of igboland will be reclaimed in the fullness of time.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opobo And Bonny Are Parts Of Igboland. by ijawcitizen(m): 11:53am On May 16, 2016
I am not really bothered about this general Igbo rascality, even the Opobians are here seeing this madness and we are taking notes.

Continue making your absurd claims on Opobo & Bonny from the internet, it is your problem and not ours.

When you finally take your first bold initiative to take this madness to Bonny & Opobo, you will finally hear from the Ijaw nation.

Until then, we are enjoying the Igbo's circus show of public madness.

2 Likes

Re: Opobo And Bonny Are Parts Of Igboland. by 99xtr6r: 12:00pm On May 16, 2016
To all notorious people and land grabbers parading on NL as Ijaw miscreants:

“Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly" - Albert Einstein

The Opobo/Nkoro people are mainly farmers and fishermen. They are of Igbo extraction. They speak Igbo language mixed with pidgin and Igbani. Just like the neighbouring Bonny, founded by Ndokis of Azuogu, slaves from the hinterlan transformed the demography of the area when the Transatlantic Slave Trade was abolished. Ijaws who came in as porters also settled there and the Igbo language was adopted. Although, there are no indigenous Ijaw communities there, most Ijaw migrants and porters have fully been integrated into the original indigenous Igbo communities.
http://www.magnusabe.com/
True confession by Magnus Abe.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opobo And Bonny Are Parts Of Igboland. by steppin: 12:04pm On May 16, 2016
99xtr6r:
To all notorious people and land grabbers parading on NL as Ijaw miscreants:

“Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly" - Albert Einstein

The Opobo/Nkoro people are mainly farmers and fishermen. They are of Igbo extraction. They speak Igbo language mixed with pidgin and Igbani. Just like the neighbouring Bonny, founded by Ndokis of Azuogu, slaves from the hinterlan transformed the demography of the area when the Transatlantic Slave Trade was abolished. Ijaws who came in as porters also settled there and the Igbo language was adopted. Although, there are no indigenous Ijaw communities there, most Ijaw migrants and porters have fully been integrated into the original indigenous Igbo communities.
http://www.magnusabe.com/
True confession by Magnus Abe.
This is quite annoying. I don't understand the need to include people who are not interested in being Igbo into your agenda.
Igbos in Nl should stop doing this. In reality, Igbos don't give a damn about anyone who decides to join them or not.

2 Likes

Re: Opobo And Bonny Are Parts Of Igboland. by EasternLeopard: 12:11pm On May 16, 2016
ijawcitizen:
Why are you igbos behaving so erratically like tormented souls. Always looking for peoples land to claim and yet you still wonder why people detest you. Do you think this attitude of yours is normal? Do you even imagine how you would feel if people start claiming your land eg Onitsha where the king is of Bini descent.

You are Ijaw and not Opobo. Therefore allow the Opobos to decide for themselves

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opobo And Bonny Are Parts Of Igboland. by EasternLeopard: 12:13pm On May 16, 2016
ijawcitizen:
I am not really bothered about this general Igbo rascality, even the Opobians are here seeing this madness and we are taking notes.

Continue making your absurd claims on Opobo & Bonny from the internet, it is your problem and not ours.

When you finally take your first bold initiative to take this madness to Bonny & Opobo, you will finally hear from the Ijaw nation.

Until then, we are enjoying the circus show of madness.

So Opobo belongs to the Ijaws.

You need help

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opobo And Bonny Are Parts Of Igboland. by amInigerian: 12:29pm On May 16, 2016
[size=13pt]Interesting show of madness. Confirmation that Igbos stay at the bottom of the political ladder for the forseeable future and this is at their own hands.[/size] EasternLeopard

[size=20pt]Yes, I agree that Bonny is Igbo just as New York was originally Ibibio[/size]
steppin

[size=13pt]Igbos don't even know their history not to talk of other people's history. This is how their historical education is formed: / Dhugal
i) think up something that appeals to their irresponsible imaginations / momonny
ii) assert it as if they have a credible source for it (besides their already mentioned irresponsible imaginations) / CSTR6
iii) repeat ii) above until the folly therein has been exposed / ijawcitizen
iv) start the process all over again from i) above /99xtr6r
[/size]
steppin

aminigerian stebell Curlieweed Abagworo peleson bigfrancis21 menabadoo

Re: Opobo And Bonny Are Parts Of Igboland. by macluvph1(m): 12:32pm On May 16, 2016
stebell:
Hw many people in Iboland answer Ijaw names like Tonye, Ibim, Ibiso et al.
Don't ever yu get it mixed up OP and his band of followers.
Opobo and Bonny are Ijaws and cannot be Igbo land. Never.
I don't want to even talk about this any further cos I see that yu Biafran/Igbo peeps won't stop with this delusion of urs.

I'm an Ijaw and frm Opobo/Bonny, I don't think their is any name in ma community or tradition that resembles that of the Igbo. The only thing I can think of is marriage between both tribes/region.

I say again, Opobo Town and Bonny are Ijaws and not Ibos.

What of Uranta,Dienye,Ogolo etc.

Hope the above names are ijaw, am ready to dish out at the spot 20 Opobo names that are affiliated to Ibo names.
Re: Opobo And Bonny Are Parts Of Igboland. by 99xtr6r: 12:49pm On May 16, 2016
steppin:
This is quite annoying. I don't understand the need to include people who are not interested in being Igbo into your agenda.
Igbos in Nl should stop doing this. In reality, Igbos don't give a damn about anyone who decides to join them or not.

What part of my posts ever alluded to your unnecessary insinuation?

Igbos are too civilised to compel or hoodwink any ethnic group to join them. We live in a world of freedom of association. Opobo, Bonny and the likes can choose to face OduaArewanistan republic; it's their inalienable right.

The Igbo's quest for nationhood is strictly for hard-working achievers and goal-getters, and not for lazy, ass-licking minions who have only survived by being stooges and weak-minded fellows. Igbos cannot be interested in such beings.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opobo And Bonny Are Parts Of Igboland. by amInigerian: 12:50pm On May 16, 2016
macluvph1:

What of Uranta,Dienye,Ogolo etc.

Hope the above names are ijaw, am ready to dish out at the spot 20 Opobo names that are affiliated to Ibo names.
[size=18pt]Please tell us what connection a name like Dienye has with Igbo

Meanwhile...

In Igbo, gini means what.
In Youruba, kini means what

I hereby declare that Igbos are actually Yourbas that were driven out of the Oyo empire for bad behaviour, misconduct and probably fraud.

ijawcitizen 99xtr6r CSTR6 Dhugal momonny aminigerian stebell Curlieweed Abagworo peleson bigfrancis21 menabadoo
[/size]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"There Was No Secret Recruitments In CBN, FIRS, Others" – Laolu Akande / Christopher Kolade To Head Subsidy Reinvestment (SURE) Board / EFCC Begins Process To Extradite Diezani From UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.