Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,873 members, 7,828,113 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:15 AM

NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators (32771 Views)

Telecoms Operators Set For Tariff Hike / NCC Explains Why The Commission Introduced Data Floor Pricing / Telecoms Operators Threaten To Shut Down Operations In Six States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators by alldrunsx: 9:42am On Oct 28, 2015
undercurrent:
This NCC seems to be the problem than the solution.
They blocked Mtn's magic number, trutalk and ipulse low tarriffs just to protect the other lowsy competitors. Whose side are they on sef?

dhardline:
While Nigerians were busy cursing telecom operators for their high tariff,little did we know that our problem was the NCC. What is wrong with this country?thought the NCC are supposed to be the ones imposing on them to make this charges go lower? Am tired of Nigeria i swear. cry
Was just thinking abt all these a few day back. And it's getting clearer by d day dat d 'supposed-to-be' regulatory body is actually our problem. Otherwise, I often wonder why telcom coys wl send subscribers sms of increase in tarrif or cancellation of product/plan dat is widely beneficial to & affordable by all (e.g. Mtn magic no., airtel 2good premier, etc) quoting ".....in adherence wt regulatory requirements....." or "in compliance wt ......". Abeg, who are those faceless individuals or grp of pple making such regulations to aggravate our travail? Is d house of assembly really working for d good & betterment of d masses?

Abt 14 months, after sending diff mails and calling mtn care times without number to no avail, I decided to go thru NCC to bitterly compaln hw mtn zapped over N1,500 frm my airtime balance, I was assured they wl communicate d issue to my service provider and ensure it is resolved. Til d time of writing dis post, nothing is done abt d matter. If dis is hw mtn and other do to over 100,000 subscribers and they go unpunished, then what a rip-off!

I think it's high time we rose as a force against all these 'killing' policies.

1 Like

Re: NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators by Nobody: 9:45am On Oct 28, 2015
bumi10:

why are u asking that question? withdrawal or no withdrawal, was it suppose to be their before? if not that we are our own nemesis.

I will answer your question based on the assumption that you have a fair grasp of economics

Competition is desirable in any economy; it breeds innovation and greater choices for consumers

NCC as a regulator is empowered by the Nigeria Communications Act to administer competition regulations contained in the Act and the CPR- thus, the introduction of the Data Floor Price.

The reason for the above is obvious- some operator(s) ( MTN) have the chunk of the market share and are heavily capitalised. They can reduce the price of their services to such ridiculous amount that weaker competitors cannot be able to match, thus forcing them out of business.

When the above occurs, believe me, there will be trouble! The stronger operators would then monopolise the market and will exploit the consumers -because their competitors have closed shop

NCC has reversed the policy because the data providers have become strong enough to compete among themselves and can match any "predatory pricing" by competitors. NCC might still wade in if the need arises.

That's why I don't think that the initial introduction of the policy by NCC is wrong.

2 Likes

Re: NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators by Nobody: 9:50am On Oct 28, 2015
otabuko:
What i hope is that 1gb becomes 400 naira and mtn to mtn calls be 4kobo per second.....
Still expensive jor. Glo gives me 3gig for 1k
Re: NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators by Nobody: 9:50am On Oct 28, 2015
otabuko:
What i hope is that 1gb becomes 400 naira and mtn to mtn calls be 4kobo per second.....
Re: NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators by vitality22(m): 9:53am On Oct 28, 2015
bodee:
the removal of floor price means the telecom operators can now decide to sell at at any price they wish to sell.
It's a very good development and I believe we are going to see slashes in prices of data.
You made the most sensible comment here. I support what NCC just did now. it will enable healthy competition and telecoms companies will work on their networks so as to give best of services at cheaper rates.
Re: NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators by vitality22(m): 9:57am On Oct 28, 2015
flamingtiger:

I will answer your question based on the assumption that you have a fair grasp of economics

Competition is desirable in any economy; it breeds innovation and greater choices for consumers

NCC as a regulator is empowered by the Nigeria Communications Act to administer competition regulations contained in the Act and the CPR- thus, the introduction of the Data Floor Price.

The reason for the above is obvious- some operator(s) ( MTN) have the chunk of the market share and are heavily capitalised. They can reduce the price of their services to such ridiculous amount that weaker competitors cannot be able to match, thus forcing them out of business.

When the above occurs, believe me, there will be trouble! The stronger operators would then monopolise the market and will exploit the consumers -because their competitors have closed shop

NCC has reversed the policy because the data providers have become strong enough to compete among themselves and can match any "predatory pricing" by competitors. NCC might still wade in if the need arises.

That's why I don't think that the initial introduction of the policy by NCC is wrong.
Very very good submission. That's the way it is.
Re: NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators by Nobody: 10:26am On Oct 28, 2015
This is so ridiculous. How can we grow as a nation when the body that should make telcos clean up their act is encouraging mediocrity.
Re: NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators by Nobody: 10:27am On Oct 28, 2015
Omagzee:
Booked 100%

Wetin concern me? Simple server Still d rock!!
^^the guy above me is an interpreter, the one below might be a spacebooker.
does the simple server works on Airtel?
Re: NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators by ukelament(m): 10:33am On Oct 28, 2015
nice development.
Re: NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators by JeffreyJamez(m): 10:38am On Oct 28, 2015
This is very interesting....So because NTEL is coming out next month with 4G LTE data plans,,NCC now withdrew floor price ba...... hehehehehehe...... Make I start to save for 4G phone biko because the price of data is about to drop drastically... grin
Re: NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators by JeffreyJamez(m): 10:40am On Oct 28, 2015
Satunama:
This is so ridiculous. How can we grow as a nation when the body that should make telcos clean up their act is encouraging mediocrity.

NTEL is coming, NCC is giving them a soft landing because NTEL is going to start with Data plans and not calls.

1 Like

Re: NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators by ogaprime(m): 10:57am On Oct 28, 2015
JeffreyJamez:

NTEL is coming, NCC is giving them a soft landing because NTEL is going to start with Data plans and not calls.

You stole my comment bro. Was about to say the same thing. I think NCC wants to tempt service providers to increase their tariffs or prices so that Ntel can sneak in with low "masses kind of" tariffs. Well, that's the work of national carrier,for the masses.
Re: NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators by bumi10(m): 11:02am On Oct 28, 2015
flamingtiger:

wooow, that's a good and nice way to think about it. if this is the case, then they did and are doing a great job. but let me ask, knowing what you know about mtn, do you think mtn could have reduced their prizing rediclously just to wade of competitors?

I don't really think so but we don't have to give them the play ground to know what they are capable of doing.

tnks fr ur explanations.
Re: NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators by beyoncausme: 11:02am On Oct 28, 2015
hope its for the better ....
Re: NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators by JeffreyJamez(m): 11:18am On Oct 28, 2015
ogaprime:

You stole my comment bro. Was about to say the same thing. I think NCC wants to tempt service providers to increase their tariffs or prices so that Ntel can sneak in with low "masses kind of" tariffs. Well, that's the work of national carrier,for the masses.

It should sha be affordable, and the network should be fast, that's my own. grin..Mtn don build mansions with my money cry
Re: NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators by ogaprime(m): 11:26am On Oct 28, 2015
JeffreyJamez:

It should sha be affordable, and the network should be fast, that's my own. grin..Mtn don build mansions with my money cry

Loool...na so. But I think they should start with 4G first since they will start with fewer locations. After much extensive expansion, they can come down to 3.5G then end at 3G
Re: NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators by winzy(m): 11:36am On Oct 28, 2015
Omagzee:
Booked 100%

Wetin concern me? Simple server Still d rock!!
^^the guy above me is an interpreter, the one below might be a spacebooker.

Bros.... Mine is blocked, how did you configure yours?
Re: NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators by sean079: 12:22pm On Oct 28, 2015
Leyqute:
It's really disheartening to read the comments on this thread. This actually means that the average Nigerians is lazy, insecure and probably has an IQ of less than 60.

The move by NCC is a good one as the competition between the telecoms company is more pronounced nowadays. Removal of the "data floor price" will definitely make data subscription competition more intense, hence cheaper plans -which is favorable for the
masses. NCC also says it's willing to impose it again if things don't turn out as they should.

In my opinion, this is good news. I don't know why most people will jump to unintelligent conclusions and utter stupid things. Most of the first and second pages of this thread are filled with disjointed comments and prejudiced rantings that begs the understanding of the subject matter.

If we as Nigerians can't be civilized and sensible then there's nothing the government can do to change the nation for the better.

1 kobo.

Bros I feel u are the one here that couldn't relate with what the true Nigerian are talking about. Have you consider finding out Mtn turnover in terms of profit over the past years while this same NCC were looking at the other way. This price control is in collaboration with those operators to
Re: NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators by Leyqute(m): 1:25pm On Oct 28, 2015
sean079:

Bros I feel u are the one here that couldn't relate with what the true Nigerian are talking about. Have you consider finding out Mtn turnover in terms of profit over the past years while this same NCC were looking at the other way. This price control is in collaboration with those operators to

This is a very stu.pid mentality.

Obviously you have no idea of what I'm talking about. If you don't understand something you shut your mouth instead of saying rubbish.

What if MTN has a hefty turnover in Nigeria? Aren't they offering a form of service? If you sell a box of chocolate to every Nigerian with a profit of N1 do you know how much profit you'll make overall? Have you in any form erred?

If you'd said MTN's services are poor and expensive, that's a different matter and it's valid. I don't like MTN anymore than the average Nigerian but we have to be sensible in what we say.

If you feel NCC hasn't done much to punish MTN for the poor services they've offered, fine. I agree. Those guys have been passive and inept for a long time.

However, their latest move to remove the base lowest price for data subscription is a good move as it'll encourage competition and force telecomms coys to bring down data price.

However the reactions to the news aren't as intelligent nor sensible as one would fathom. You're probably one of those teenagers who can't read separate your perceptions and deductions from your prejudiced emotions.

Read and understand. Then comment.
Re: NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators by otabuko(m): 1:38pm On Oct 28, 2015
Amusaopeyemi:

you follow dey do this awoof abi....
Re: NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators by Nobody: 1:39pm On Oct 28, 2015
winzy:

Bros.... Mine is blocked, how did you configure yours?

same old settings oo...Buh i use pc mostly. BBLITED and BBMIDID still works for me.

If u have an andriod device, then u need auto proxy with simple server in order for it work.
Dont forget to refresh ur data connection at intervals too.
Re: NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators by Nobody: 1:43pm On Oct 28, 2015
dapipson:
does the simple server works on Airtel?

i dont know of airtel oooo, but mtn rocks full time if can u stand the constant disconnection and re-connection.

1 Like

Re: NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators by oshaosha2014(m): 1:47pm On Oct 28, 2015
Do you know the meaning of 'healthy competition?'
undercurrent:
This NCC seems to be the problem than the solution.
They blocked Mtn's magic number, trutalk + and ipulse low tarriffs just to protect the other lowsy competitors. NWhose side are they on sef?
Re: NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators by undercurrent(m): 2:03pm On Oct 28, 2015
oshaosha2014:
Do you know the meaning of 'healthy competition?'
No Prof...Pls educate me.
Re: NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators by Nobody: 2:25pm On Oct 28, 2015
bumi10:

wooow, that's a good and nice way to think about it. if this is the case, then they did and are doing a great job. but let me ask, knowing what you know about mtn, do you think mtn could have reduced their prizing rediclously just to wade of competitors?

I don't really think so but we don't have to give them the play ground to know what they are capable of doing.

tnks fr ur explanations.
Yes they will. For example the just launched 11k/sec pa lava , MTN responded immediately
Re: NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators by Nobody: 2:29pm On Oct 28, 2015
otabuko:
time will tell buddy....
Go through MTN packages as see if any charges MTN to MTN at cheap rate except true talk which isn't cheap. Family and friends list can come from any network. So my bro that na so we see am
Re: NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators by Chigold101(m): 2:42pm On Oct 28, 2015
ahckmedkosy:
I smell lies n foul play.. please this was Done to give mtel a soft landing wen they finally roll out their Data price by November. Chaii when will all these lies intended at pulling the wool over the poor Nigerians' eyes stop.
I agree with you bros. They don't want ntel to struggle with others, just the way they allowed glo to come up with per second billing on their inception in 2003
Re: NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators by Leyqute(m): 2:48pm On Oct 28, 2015
Chigold101:
I agree with you bros. They don't want ntel to struggle with others, just the way they allowed glo to come up with per second billing on their inception in 2003

I think it's better to allow glo's per second or per whatever or even me 2 u to manifest since they're an indigenous company. They should be given the edge.

If coys from other countries are dominating the market in a country they can do whatever they want- and get away with it. MTN wanted to be selling SIM cards for N50,000 before competition came. Imagine what they'll do if they're the only telecomms coy in the country.

See what Dstv is doing.
Re: NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators by Nobody: 2:51pm On Oct 28, 2015
buoye1:
dont mind the fool, he's high on klin soap......

Buhahahahahahahahaha!!! Chai!!! Guy you're evil o LMAO!!!
Re: NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators by Nobody: 2:54pm On Oct 28, 2015
obynaDmob:

Beht dz is a telecommunications post

Don't mind him jare. At least he has achieved Nairaland public notice
Re: NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators by Chigold101(m): 3:04pm On Oct 28, 2015
Leyqute:

I think it's better to allow glo's per second or per whatever or even me 2 u to manifest since they're an indigenous company. They should be given the edge.

If coys from other countries are dominating the market in a country they can do whatever they want- and get away with it. MTN wanted to be selling SIM cards for N50,000 before competition came. Imagine what they'll do if they're the only telecomms coy in the country.

See what Dstv is doing.
I don't have a problem with whatever happens once it will benefit the ordinary man on the street of Aguluezechukwu, Onisha Igbo, Epe, Chibok, Ikom etc...
Re: NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators by Chigold101(m): 3:05pm On Oct 28, 2015
Leyqute:

See what Dstv is doing.
I don't have a problem with whatever happens once it will benefit the ordinary man on the street of Aguluezechukwu, Onisha Ugbo, Epe, Chibok, Ikom etc...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

#Xenophobia: Angry Nigerian Burns His MTN Mifi / Solution To Getting BIS Edge Or 3g Network Symbol On Android. / MTN Memo And Airtel Letter Confirming FG's Ban On SIM Card Sales

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.