Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,307 members, 7,815,561 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:30 PM

The Fear Of A Corp Member - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / The Fear Of A Corp Member (20685 Views)

Earning As A Corp Member / My Experience As A Corp Member In Benue State. / NYSC 2016 Batch A Corp member Posted To RIVERS Let's Meet Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Fear Of A Corp Member by Ezegozie(m): 8:32pm On Oct 28, 2015
Goodevening Ladies and Gentlemen.
Let me start by introducing myself.
I am Gozie and I graduated from Geology department from one of our Federal Universities in Nigeria (name hidden for confidential reasons).
Well, I am currently serving in Akwaibom state and will pass out next year by April, but I have great fear borthering me sometimes, and that is LIFE AFTER NYSC.

I am an ardent visitor of Job and Vacancy section and I always read some threads created by Job seekers complaining of how Nigeria is devoid of employment and each time I see it, I feel disturbed.

REASONS WHY I AM AFRAID OF LIFE AFTER NYSC

1......My parents are both in the village and I dont have anyplace to go to after service while waiting for employment because I wont like to stay in the village.

2.........Though I graduated with Second Class Upper, I dont have any single connection in the industry and I have been reading posts of how life without connection can be miserable for a job seeker.

3........The highest I can save from this NYSC scheme is 100k, which is not enough capital to venture into any reasonable thing in Nigeria.

Please I seriously need your advice on what to do in other to get Job immediately I finish service next year April because that is the only surest way to raise capital.

I plan to relocate to PH and rent house there while waiting for employment because PH is well industralized and there are lots of oil companies , construction companies and other companies related to my course located in PH.

Looking forward to hearing your response.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by Niyeal(m): 8:45pm On Oct 28, 2015
Teaching in 2ndry schl.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by Ezegozie(m): 8:50pm On Oct 28, 2015
Niyeal:
Teaching in 2ndry schl.
I dont understand.
Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by Hotsparkles(m): 10:16pm On Oct 28, 2015
Don't worry God will be ur connection, connection will come and you will be shocked. OP start from anywhere don't wait for big jobs.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by yomi007k(m): 10:20pm On Oct 28, 2015
Ezegozie:

I dont understand.
He means Teaching in secondary school.

Haven't u seen any place where dey wrote vacancy in dt akwa ibom? Jus so u hav an idea.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by davide470(m): 10:44pm On Oct 28, 2015
I always tell people: Focus on the Positive, forget about the negative.

You graduated with a 2.1! Congrats. That means technically, you can apply for any Graduate Trainee Job in any firm in Nigeria. You see threads where people are complaining, so also there are threads where people are getting offers.

On a general note, Olam took 20 or more graduates, PwC took about 120 Graduates, KPMG 150 or so, Sterling: about 100, GTB took up to 400 Entry Level Graduates this year alone, Dangote is planning to take more and these are the figures I am aware of.. Who is getting these Jobs? Foreigners or your fellow graduates?

So, don't be scared. Prepare yourself positively for the Job Market, never let any negative story or thread weigh your down, and abeg forget about Oil Companies (They will always recruit one time in your lifetime with the age limit being flexible) and applying to only "course related" firms.

Finally, Lagos is better than PH for any fresh graduate.

94 Likes 8 Shares

Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by Adesiji77: 11:05pm On Oct 28, 2015
davide470:

You graduated with a 2.1! Congrats. That means technically, you can apply for any Graduate Trainee Job in any firm in Nigeria. You see threads where people are complaining, so also there are threads where people are getting offers.

On a general note, Olam took 20 or more graduates, PwC took about 120 Graduates, KPMG 150 or so, Sterling: about 100, GTB took up to 400 Entry Level Graduates this year alone, Dangote is planning to take more and these are the figures I am aware of.. Who is getting these Jobs? Foreigners or your fellow graduates?

So, don't be scared. Prepare yourself positively for the Job Market, never let any negative story or thread weigh your down, and abeg forget about Oil Companies (They will always recruit one time in your lifetime with the age limit being flexible) and applying to only "course related" firms.

Word! Thumbs up bro

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by damton(m): 11:12pm On Oct 28, 2015
God is your strength.
Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by VickyRotex(f): 11:13pm On Oct 28, 2015
""which is not enough capital to venture into any reasonable thing in Nigeria""

No.3 is a lie! angry

100k can go a long way!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by teepsee(f): 11:14pm On Oct 28, 2015
The Lord is my Sheppard I shall not fear
Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by VickyRotex(f): 11:15pm On Oct 28, 2015
davide470:

May wisdom never elude you jare cool cool

18 Likes

Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by jazinogold(m): 11:17pm On Oct 28, 2015
Hmmmm!
Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by Karleb(m): 11:17pm On Oct 28, 2015
VickyRotex:
No.3 is a lie! angry

I very big fat lie.

3 Likes

Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by Tenim47(m): 11:18pm On Oct 28, 2015
I c no point
Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by tiamiyukunle69(m): 11:18pm On Oct 28, 2015
davide470:

You nailed it! Thumbs up

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by VickyRotex(f): 11:19pm On Oct 28, 2015
Do not despise the days of humble beginning.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by Kelklein(m): 11:21pm On Oct 28, 2015
calm down op..the same God that saw you through from Kindergarten to this point has not changed.. Trust in HIM!

Just enjoy your service and stop worrying unnecessarily.

modified: not an English master tho..but I think that "fear " in the topic should be "fears"

cc: lalasticlala

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by kinibigdeal(m): 11:21pm On Oct 28, 2015
Kill Fear before Fear kills you

1 Like

Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by cheerokee(m): 11:21pm On Oct 28, 2015
booked

1 Like

Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by jaykaylegend(m): 11:22pm On Oct 28, 2015
You are still serving ;
You should focus on that ATM...

My advice for you is to be very prayerful and when you get to that bridge, the lord will help you cross it

4 Likes

Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by Lifebender(m): 11:22pm On Oct 28, 2015
Booked
Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by sternlley(m): 11:23pm On Oct 28, 2015
Gud comprehension .....waec candidates should study dis comprehension very well ,its gonna be use in nxt year's waec exam

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by activelyA(f): 11:23pm On Oct 28, 2015
I might not know much, but this is my little advice to you...
1. You are what you read or think. This counters your number2 where all you have ever done is heard and read but have not experienced . Is it not on this same forum that some people have reportedly gotten job without connections And are there not people who have gotten job immediately after NYSC?? your fear is allowing your mind play a fast one on you
Do not feed your fears with evil testimonies, make a deliberate effort to read positive stories.

2. Do not relocate to anywhere on the basis of your judgement of the industriality of the place. Ask and seek God sincerely for help. I have seen people looking for job in Lagos for 11 years without anything but got a lucrative job in Benue within few months find your God given place

3. What do you mean by that statement that one cannot do any meaningful business with 100k 100k my brother shocked shocked . Arrant trash!!! Abi you want to start from where dangote is now You dont want to start small? Abi you want to buy trailer?? Give someone with a ready made Idea and plan 50k out of your money and see what comes out. Bottom line being you do not have a business Idea or plan ready yet if you do, you would have known a way of starting small with 50k.

4. Dont even think of teaching in a private school!!! angry that's if you dont want to go back to the village...or if you want to do something reasonable in your life. ..you will not understand no. 4 until you have tried it

5. Face your fears...its crippling you and do something.
Pray! Pray!! And pray more!!! God gives jobs, not man or your efforts.

My little thoughts. ....
Ooh well undecided

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by jazinogold(m): 11:23pm On Oct 28, 2015
davide470:

where you get ur statistics from?

You fail to mention GNLD 500 people!

Op the country for don dy stabilized before you serve finish! By then the new government for don settle down n companies would v adjusted to the new government policies!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by Ezegozie(m): 11:25pm On Oct 28, 2015
davide470:

Thank you so much for your wonderful advice.
I have learnt alot from what you said.

4 Likes

Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by Icon4s(m): 11:25pm On Oct 28, 2015
Ezegozie, firstly let me tell u that I also studied Geology (2nd Class Upper) and I served in Akwa-Ibom.

Tackling ur fears from ur listed points:

1. Ur parents living in d village: Yes it mayb a problem if u allow it to be a problem. This is an e-age. Pple no longer walk from office to office looking for jobs. All u need is a mobile phone with internet or a laptop with moderm. Most jobs these days are advertised online. Jst have soft copies if ur credentials. And u should know where d nearest post office is to ur vollage in case u are asked to submit hard copies. And on ur thought of relocating to PH to rent a house when u dnt have a job, dnt try dat. That is suicidal. If u have a friend or relative that live there ok.Same thing if u chose to relocate to Lagos.

2. Issue of connection: I can tell u categorically that u dnt need any connection to get a good job if u have a good grade and u excel at tests and interviews. Ur 2:1 will open up doors of opportunities for u. All that is left is for u to grab them with both hands.

3. Issue of saving enough money during NYSC: My brother u can never save enough no matter how much u earn. Dnt b too bordered abt how much u will save bc as a Corper what u earn is jst enough for ur feeding and transport. However, try and save something no matter how little as u may jst need some little cash to print ur CVs, buy Test questions and pay transport to attend tests and interviews.

Helpful tips for u while still serving: Prepare well. Practise Test past questions, read interview books. Take up (teach) technical subjects like maths and physics, it will sharpen ur brain.

Finally Pray to God for Divine favour and Grace to go through that next stage in ur life.

15 Likes

Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by magicminister: 11:26pm On Oct 28, 2015
Ezegozie:
I am Gozie and I graduated from Geology department from one of our Federal Universities in Nigeria (name hidden for confidential reasons).
Well, I am currently serving in Akwaibom state and will pass out next year by April, but I have great fear borthering me sometimes, and that is LIFE AFTER NYSC.

I am an ardent visitor of Job and Vacancy section and I always read some threads created by Job seekers complaining of how Nigeria is devoid of employment and each time I see it, I feel disturbed.

1......My parents are both in the village and I dont have anyplace to go to after service while waiting for employment because I wont like to stay in the village.

2.........Though I graduated with Second Class Upper, I dont have any single connection in the industry and I have been reading posts of how life without connection can be miserable for a job seeker.

3........The highest I can save from this NYSC scheme is 100k, which is not enough capital to venture into any reasonable thing in Nigeria.

Please I seriously need your advice on what to do in other to get Job immediately I finish service next year April because that is the only surest way to raise capital.

I plan to relocate to PH and rent house there while waiting for employment because PH is well industralized and there are lots of oil companies , construction companies and other companies related to my course located in PH.

Youre wrong

Connections are quite important but I will stick my neck out to say that most fresh graduates got their first job without know anybody.
Myself and my siblings are a testimony to that.

I have paid close attwntion to the nigerian labour market and I realized that most fresh graduates get a job within 6 months after their nysc program.

Make sure you have a good cv,
Make sure you speak well and master good etiquette.

Best of luck

4 Likes

Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by Nobody: 11:27pm On Oct 28, 2015
Ezegozie:

You want connection in the Industry... try and be a member of Nigerian Association of Petroleum Explorationists ( NAPE )
They'll be having another conference in Lagos this year. .. All the major oil company players come there and you get to talk one on one... you can also be opportune to meet those that would tell you which softwares to learn...
I don't know if you have also hear of petroplays. .. They are also into this...
You can learn more from that Association. It's one of the largest in Nigeria. .

1 Like

Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by Helkayklassic(m): 11:29pm On Oct 28, 2015
All u need is a good grade which you already have, then prayer and believe, you will surely get ur dream job. Wish u best of luck when u join the labour market.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by digitalgeorgy(m): 11:29pm On Oct 28, 2015
dont kill yourself with hungry while trying to save money oo!
Life after NYSC is hard, no doubt, but just believe that if 10percent of graduates can survive after service, then you will survive.
I had sleepless night while in service thinking about things like this, but now, am having sleepless night trying to cover my job requirement.
ALL IS WELL MY BROTHER! ALL IS WELL!!

6 Likes

Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by Rufex07(m): 11:30pm On Oct 28, 2015
VickyRotex:
No.3 is a lie! angry
It's not! It is very possible.

For your information, I served 2 years ago in Umuahia and can authoritatively tell you that I bought things well over #250k(a brand new laptop, desktop computer, home appliances, a guitar, two printers, ups etc).

How did I got the money? N19,800 federal allowance, N8,500 state allowance, N8,000 from teaching computer in a private school based on my own time schedule and was earning over N15,000 from computer business and printing business I was doing in the Catholic lodge where I paid just N15,000 for rent. I grossed over N450,000 throughout my service year. The things I bought also helped me pay my bills before getting my current job.

My advise to OP is; N100,000 can definitely get you a small trade or business to start with. Look around your environment, spot what they lack and capitalise on It. Shyness doesn't pay bills, hard work does! I graduated with a 2.1 upper division too.

Also, be of good behavior to win peoples confidence and trust easily. I wish you well.

9 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Houses to let For Corp members In Ibadan / NYSC : 20 Corps Members Withdrawn Over Cult Attacks In Bayelsa Community / Is It Right For NYSC To Still Be Posting Corpers To The North?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.