Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,684 members, 7,816,788 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:12 PM

The Fear Of A Corp Member - NYSC (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / The Fear Of A Corp Member (20686 Views)

Earning As A Corp Member / My Experience As A Corp Member In Benue State. / NYSC 2016 Batch A Corp member Posted To RIVERS Let's Meet Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by myBoss(m): 7:50am On Oct 29, 2015
Wake up brother, if u are the one that is paying others, u wont die. Wake up and soil your n make some good good cash.
Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by Ezegozie(m): 7:52am On Oct 29, 2015
Between

Lagos and Portharcourt where will you advise a fresh graduate of Geology to start life after NYSC and why?
Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by tmxme(m): 7:55am On Oct 29, 2015
Go pay that your 100k wey you save as offering for church. And you will be surprised what the lord shall do for u wink smiley
Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by Nobody: 7:55am On Oct 29, 2015
Ok.... It's nice you have come to know the reality on time. I wish I did when it was my time. I'd always say, it's not easy getting the juicy jobs in this country as a fresh Nigerian graduate without foreign education. Just take note of the following ;
1. Garner more skills, develop yourself, more knowledge in your desired field. Make your resume interesting to see and start uploading them on your company of choice. There are numerous companies that screen through CV regularly.
2 . Be familiar with what an interview and assessment centre is like. Download materials and equip yourself with these activities
3 . Make good friends with folks that see things the way you see it. Folks that perhaps share same ideas with you. You may not be able to get a good house for 100k in ph. I would advise you join resources with someone. Someone who you can gain from and add to
4. Network like never before.
Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by Ezegozie(m): 8:05am On Oct 29, 2015
preciusly:

Thanks for your wonderful response.
You said I should not rent a house in PH?
Where do you want me to stay while looking for Job?

Do you want me to go back to the village?
Please I am happy that you also served in Akwaibom.
So please where do you want me to stay?
Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by Ezegozie(m): 8:07am On Oct 29, 2015
tmxme:
Go pay that your 100k wey you save as offering for church. And you will be surprised what the lord shall do for u wink smiley

Are you kidding me?
Talk is cheap.
You that is saying this How many have you donated to the church let alone giving out your whole savings.
Its always easier to preach than to act

1 Like

Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by VickyRotex(f): 8:09am On Oct 29, 2015
laykhorn:

For real Pls enlighten me on the bolded

Bros, that's why we should endeavor to make Internet our "dear friend" . Just Google search "TOP 10 10 or 20 Businesses to Begin with 100k or less in Nigeria" and youll get your answer.
Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by VickyRotex(f): 8:13am On Oct 29, 2015
Ezegozie:

what exactly can a male graduate start with #100,000 in this current economic system?
Please tell me, I am all ears

Bros, that's why we should endeavor to make Internet our "dear friend" . Just Google search "TOP 10 10 or 20 Businesses to Begin with 100k or less in Nigeria" and youll get your answer.
Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by Ezegozie(m): 8:18am On Oct 29, 2015
VickyRotex:

alright
Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by pimpinlala(m): 8:24am On Oct 29, 2015
I started mini importation business during my ND programme,and I'm in my HND..

I started importation with the sum of 15k,but now I've invested about 108k...I ordered for a galaxy note 2 + a black berry passport,all brand new and I'm expecting a profit of 38k.

100k is a huge amount of money to venture into a business,the only problem people have is what business to do.

Send me an e-mail if interested.
Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by ebbyneza(m): 8:28am On Oct 29, 2015
Ezegozie:
Goodevening Ladies and Gentlemen.
Let me start by introducing myself.
I am Gozie and I graduated from Geology department from one of our Federal Universities in Nigeria (name hidden for confidential reasons).
Well, I am currently serving in Akwaibom state and will pass out next year by April, but I have great fear borthering me sometimes, and that is LIFE AFTER NYSC.

I am an ardent visitor of Job and Vacancy section and I always read some threads created by Job seekers complaining of how Nigeria is devoid of employment and each time I see it, I feel disturbed.

REASONS WHY I AM AFRAID OF LIFE AFTER NYSC

1......My parents are both in the village and I dont have anyplace to go to after service while waiting for employment because I wont like to stay in the village.

2.........Though I graduated with Second Class Upper, I dont have any single connection in the industry and I have been reading posts of how life without connection can be miserable for a job seeker.

3........The highest I can save from this NYSC scheme is 100k, which is not enough capital to venture into any reasonable thing in Nigeria.

Please I seriously need your advice on what to do in other to get Job immediately I finish service next year April because that is the only surest way to raise capital.

I plan to relocate to PH and rent house there while waiting for employment because PH is well industralized and there are lots of oil companies , construction companies and other companies related to my course located in PH.

Looking forward to hearing your response.
Go to www.shortlistnigeria.com and register.
Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by Dolypson04(m): 9:06am On Oct 29, 2015
Ezegozie:
I am Gozie and I graduated from Geology department from one of our Federal Universities in Nigeria (name hidden for confidential reasons).
Well, I am currently serving in Akwaibom state and will pass out next year by April, but I have great fear borthering me sometimes, and that is LIFE AFTER NYSC.

I am an ardent visitor of Job and Vacancy section and I always read some threads created by Job seekers complaining of how Nigeria is devoid of employment and each time I see it, I feel disturbed.

1......My parents are both in the village and I dont have anyplace to go to after service while waiting for employment because I wont like to stay in the village.

2.........Though I graduated with Second Class Upper, I dont have any single connection in the industry and I have been reading posts of how life without connection can be miserable for a job seeker.

3........The highest I can save from this NYSC scheme is 100k, which is not enough capital to venture into any reasonable thing in Nigeria.

Please I seriously need your advice on what to do in other to get Job immediately I finish service next year April because that is the only surest way to raise capital.

I plan to relocate to PH and rent house there while waiting for employment because PH is well industralized and there are lots of oil companies , construction companies and other companies related to my course located in PH.

Seriously most of us fresh graduates are faced with these fears. Not only on jobs alone but being successful, happily married etc.
Now about jobs, one way to get connected is to have confidence. As a corp member, that your khaki gives you access to enter most places and speak with virtually everyone. With the few months left you can still meet a lot of people if you have confidence. Sometimes all what we need is 30s of insane confidence to turn our fears to success.
Sorry want to type more than this but my phone keeps hanging.
Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by SleekyPosh(m): 9:08am On Oct 29, 2015
sirmobol:

You want connection in the Industry... try and be a member of Nigerian Association of Petroleum Explorationists ( NAPE )
They'll be having another conference in Lagos this year. .. All the major oil company players come there and you get to talk one on one... you can also be opportune to meet those that would tell you which softwares to learn...
I don't know if you have also hear of petroplays. .. They are also into this...
You can learn more from that Association. It's one of the largest in Nigeria. .

Yeah Bro that NAPE caught my attention. Id love to join that association cos am in the Offshore field aswell. Pls kindly help with more information about it. Here is my cct details 09053662202 or goldengoals77@gmail.com. thanks in anticipation.
Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by AKPARAJA: 9:27am On Oct 29, 2015
jazinogold:
where you get ur statistics from?

You fail to mention GNLD 500 people!

Op the country for don dy stabilized before you serve finish! By then the new government for don settle down n companies would v adjusted to the new government policies!
GREAT LIE.govt that is busy denying its promises.
My bros fear not and look out for graduate trainee jobs and with ur 2.1 God will surprise you.
Enter into covenant with God and do 30 days fasting of 6 to 6 and ask God for a miraculous job.
Thanks
Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by laykhorn(m): 9:29am On Oct 29, 2015
VickyRotex:

what would I get? The 'Photocopy', 'Restaurants', Soap and insecticide Manufacturing, bookstore, Dry cleaning, Okada, Recharge cards, SoftDrinks, Boutique thing again. I challenge you to show me something mouth watering with less/no supervision . I have used different search machines over and over.
Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by Contumely: 10:11am On Oct 29, 2015
VickyRotex:
""which is not enough capital to venture into any reasonable thing in Nigeria""

No.3 is a lie! angry

100k can go a long way!

And which long way will 100k go?
Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by Adortem: 10:33am On Oct 29, 2015
A lot of 2:1 graduates around,so 2:1 isn't a bigdeal. I also graduated with a 2:1,thinking that's all I need.Well,my advise is get GMAT,SHL past questions etc and start practising vigorously,your 2:1 would grant you access for job aptitude tests.You may still stay with your parents or relative.Most aptitudes tests are in lagos,you can stay in lagos with a relative to save transport fare but while staying with a relative,never be a liability,teaching job is the most readily available job now,go teach so you wouldn't need to beg for money to barb your hair or go out,you would be respected that way,while you prepare for those tests.Better still,get internship placement just for experience.Most applications are done online get a phone with internet access and a laptop with a modem.You are good to go!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by Ezegozie(m): 10:34am On Oct 29, 2015
Contumely:

my brother help me ask her o o o.
Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by Ezegozie(m): 10:36am On Oct 29, 2015
Adortem:
A lot of 2:1 graduates around,so 2:1 isn't a bigdeal. I also graduated with a 2:1,thinking that's all I need.Well,my advise is get GMAT,SHL past questions etc and start practising vigorously,your 2:1 would grant you access for job aptitude tests.You may still stay with your parents or relative.Most aptitudes tests are in lagos,you can stay in lagos with a relative to save transport fare but while staying with a relative,never be a liability,teaching job is the most readily available job now,go teach so you wouldn't need to beg for money to barb your hair or go out,you would be respected that way,while you prepare for those tests.Better still,get internship placement just for experience.Most applications are done online get a phone with internet access and a laptop with a modem.You are good to go!

this is one of the best advice I have ever seen here.
I have a very sharp laptop with too much data that I even use to watch movies online (courtesy of cheats lolz).
I have heard you. Thanks so much

1 Like

Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by mumoftwo(f): 10:54am On Oct 29, 2015
VickyRotex:
""which is not enough capital to venture into any reasonable thing in Nigeria""

No.3 is a lie! angry

100k can go a long way!

Abeg, what can he do with 100k? i am interested. thanks

the lord is your strength o.
Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by dustydee: 11:00am On Oct 29, 2015
Ezegozie:
Be careful who and what you listen to. I graduated when there was chronic unemployment in Nigeria. Before I graduated from school, I had an idea of where (industry) I wanted to work. I had people around me who graduated some years before me and were doing well for themselves irrespective of their grades (2.1 and 2.2). The guys were ambitious and that encouraged me as well. Some of them were changing jobs when the general consensus was that there were no jobs. During my service year, I took interest in preparing my CV, NYSC organised some seminars on career development. Before I finished NYSC I started applying to companies related to my career choice. The banking industry was one of the most glamorous industries then and they were recruiting massively but I never applied to any bank during my service year.
I was eventually "forced" by my folks at home to apply to first bank (applied on the closing date - out of respect for my dad cos he kept asking if I had applied). I got the job but I refused to take the offer around June (finished serving in February). Few months (August) later I got a job in the field I wanted. I left after 6 months for another job. The company I moved to is a government agency which a lot of nairalanders pray to get into and I have read here that you must know someone before you get employed there - I didn't use any connection and I have since left the company. During my time searching for job, I met people who told me their story of how long it took them to get a job and they wear it like a toga. I also had a cousin who repeatedly told me he's not worried about me because he knows I will get a good Job - and I did. My brother had a job even before he graduated (not only because of his field but also because of his outlook to life) - he graduated with 2.2.Sorry for the long story but don't let negative talks influence you.

3 Likes

Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by DrewMX(m): 11:32am On Oct 29, 2015
OP,the fear of the unknown is the beginning of failure,no one knows what tommorow might bring...The best thing to do is to be diligent in prayers and be focused,cos there is nothing impossible for God to do.
Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by promo4(m): 12:48pm On Oct 29, 2015
Though am a prospective corper but I know that the secret of getting a good job is preparation plus God on one's side..I will prepare myself and one day my time shall come,work on my technical ability on tests,learn some skills and save painstakingly..
Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by Sammyblaq(m): 1:52pm On Oct 29, 2015
activelyA:
I might not know much, but this is my little advice to you...
1. You are what you read or think. This counters your number2 where all you have ever done is heard and read but have not experienced . Is it not on this same forum that some people have reportedly gotten job without connections And are there not people who have gotten job immediately after NYSC?? your fear is allowing your mind play a fast one on you
Do not feed your fears with evil testimonies, make a deliberate effort to read positive stories.

2. Do not relocate to anywhere on the basis of your judgement of the industriality of the place. Ask and seek God sincerely for help. I have seen people looking for job in Lagos for 11 years without anything but got a lucrative job in Benue within few months find your God given place

3. What do you mean by that statement that one cannot do any meaningful business with 100k 100k my brother shocked shocked . Arrant trash!!! Abi you want to start from where dangote is now You dont want to start small? Abi you want to buy trailer?? Give someone with a ready made Idea and plan 50k out of your money and see what comes out. Bottom line being you do not have a business Idea or plan ready yet if you do, you would have known a way of starting small with 50k.

4. Dont even think of teaching in a private school!!! angry that's if you dont want to go back to the village...or if you want to do something reasonable in your life. ..you will not understand no. 4 until you have tried it

5. Face your fears...its crippling you and do something.
Pray! Pray!! And pray more!!! God gives jobs, not man or your efforts.

My little thoughts. ....
Ooh well undecided
Nnem... that's good thoughts from you.
Again, Gozie nwanne... to save up to 100k in AK u have to stay off from 3-3, chicken and plantain. *girls*...Ma icho(if u like).

Put your fear behind you niggar... the translation of ur name CHIGOZIE got it all.
Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by Nobody: 2:00pm On Oct 29, 2015
Ezegozie:

. Well am also a corp member like you presently serving in Umuahia, Abia State. Those Fears you stated bothers me as well, cos I have elder ones who are still hustling despite graduating years ago. Nigeria economy isn't buoyant like that of the world powers because we don't create anything here, we are always importers. If I were you, don't bank on Been employed , instead you could be a Boss by being a job creator. At least you are thinking of saving, I can't try that here cos state allawee isn't forthcoming, so I solely depend on my FG allawee. Heard Rumours that Bank of Industry wants to start giving start up loans with little interest to corp members. Check This out .Do you have a serving youth corper brother, sister, friends or relative.?The BOI and NYSC graduate entrepreneurship fund (GEF) application is now open. Loans up to N2m could be provided to assist them start a business. Visit www.boinigeria.com/gef Application closes by midnight of 3rd Nov 2015. Pls send dis widely to assist your pple.
Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by whoisuche: 4:08pm On Oct 29, 2015
Ezegozie:

Remove that fear and believe in God.
Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by davide470(m): 5:13pm On Oct 29, 2015
VickyRotex:

May wisdom never elude you jare cool cool
Amen ooo wink

1 Like

Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by VickyRotex(f): 9:18pm On Oct 29, 2015
laykhorn:

what would I get? The 'Photocopy', 'Restaurants', Soap and insecticide Manufacturing, bookstore, Dry cleaning, Okada, Recharge cards, SoftDrinks, Boutique thing again. I challenge you to show me something mouth watering with less/no supervision . I have used different search machines over and over.

That's the problem with us, we want it all rosy immediately. You want a business that's mouth watering and no supervison or less supervised.

Like I said, do not despise the days of humble beginning.

Little businesses that we don't count as useful, are the ones more profitable.

Btw, you talk about dry cleaning? You really don't know how much dry cleaning services earn right.

Make your findings before condemning some businesses.
Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by VickyRotex(f): 9:21pm On Oct 29, 2015
Contumely:

As long as you want it to go. undecided
Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by VickyRotex(f): 9:25pm On Oct 29, 2015
mumoftwo:

Abeg, what can he do with 100k? i am interested. thanks

the lord is your strength o.

Sis. that's why we should endeavor to make Internet our "dear friend" . Just Google search "TOP 10 10 or 20 Businesses to Begin with 100k or less in Nigeria" and youll get your answer.
Re: The Fear Of A Corp Member by laykhorn(m): 10:24pm On Oct 29, 2015
VickyRotex:

That's the problem with us, we want it all rosy immediately. You want a business that's mouth watering and no supervison or less supervised.

Like I said, do not despise the days of humble beginning.

Little businesses that we don't count as useful, are the ones more profitable.

Btw, you talk about dry cleaning? You really don't know how much dry cleaning services earn right.

Make your findings before condemning some businesses.

nobody expects it to be all rosy from the onset. I want something that could grow with time to become a brand. Those business are already 'over overcrowded' in the Nigerian scene (Pun Intended).
I said little or no supervision because it wont be fulltime so I could focus on some other things too.
Dry Cleaning... Nobody said it cant earn you something, that machine is fast becoming ubiqutous no thanks to LG and Sharp washing machines that both go for less than 27K. Soon you will be forced out of business. If you're thinking Long term that will grow to become a global thing, Its def not for you.
These businesses are enough to sustain just you, not a family, it wont even serve the fleet of cars I see in my dreams. grin
What Business do you do?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Houses to let For Corp members In Ibadan / NYSC : 20 Corps Members Withdrawn Over Cult Attacks In Bayelsa Community / Is It Right For NYSC To Still Be Posting Corpers To The North?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.