Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,247 members, 7,815,362 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:18 AM

List Of Animals That Have Gone Extinct In Our Lifetime - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / List Of Animals That Have Gone Extinct In Our Lifetime (10078 Views)

Extramarital Affairs Gone Wrong! A Comrade Has Fallen! / 10 Children Raised By Animals / Our Kids Have Gone Sexy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: List Of Animals That Have Gone Extinct In Our Lifetime by Rukkydelta(f): 10:05pm On Nov 01, 2015
Achilies:
[color=#006600][/color]
Please don't be?
hmmm
Re: List Of Animals That Have Gone Extinct In Our Lifetime by Achilies(m): 10:15pm On Nov 01, 2015
Frilled shark thought to be extinct the last one was caught in 2014

Re: List Of Animals That Have Gone Extinct In Our Lifetime by Achilies(m): 10:16pm On Nov 01, 2015
[color=#006600][/color]
Rukkydelta:
hmmm

Because it doesn't worth it.
Re: List Of Animals That Have Gone Extinct In Our Lifetime by Achilies(m): 10:17pm On Nov 01, 2015
[/color]
EfemenaXY:

[color=#FFFFFF]I've got to give it to you - you are patient, Achilies. smiley smiley

Done
Re: List Of Animals That Have Gone Extinct In Our Lifetime by Achilies(m): 10:20pm On Nov 01, 2015
Call the Dunkleosteus a nasty brute. Call it ugly. Even call it old-fashioned. Just don't call it a picky eater or late to dinner.

This powerful placoderm fish subsisted on just about anything it could get its mitts on: Sharks, fish and even other members of his or her own clan. Without actual teeth, the hungry fish used two long blades to snap and crush its prey. The Dunkleosteus apparently had no problem tracking down its meals, thanks to an enormous frame, speedy swimming and mighty jaw. However it seemed to suffer often from indigestion, not surprisingly

It's almost as if the Dunkleosteus was designed for destruction. Checking in at more than 33 feet (10 meters) and 4,000 tons (3,600 metric tons), the beast was bigger than a killer whale and at least as fierce. It also featured a series of hard, bony plates around its head that are believed to have served as armor for the battering ram. But the fearsome creature also appears to have been both a lover and a fighter. One of the first species to exist in male and female forms, the Dunkleosteus would have been one of the earliest to mate physically in order to reproduce [sources: BBC, Animal Planet].

Re: List Of Animals That Have Gone Extinct In Our Lifetime by tollu: 7:14am On Nov 02, 2015
Oh wow! Love this thread.
The White Rhino is stunning.

I didn't know Monkeys could die from the Ebola virus, always assumed they were natural carriers.

The the striped Tiger/Dog, kinda like a hyena methinks.

The passenger pigeon extinction story is sobering. How can birds that fly go extinct? That must have been some wild hunting.

The threat is climate change is really a clear and present danger. Seasons can no longer be trusted. It rained from January till November, who's to say it won't rain in December?
One cannot even be sure to get Harmattan anymore. It rained last December if I recollect correctly.

E go be.

Achilies:
Although hunting and killing of the species is illegal, western lowland gorillas continue to be killed for their meat, which is considered a delicacy, while baby gorillas are captured and kept as pets. The deadly Ebola virus has also devastated the wild ape population. In Gabon's Minkébé Forest alone, the virus killed more than 90% of the region's gorilla and chimpanzee populations.
Re: List Of Animals That Have Gone Extinct In Our Lifetime by Achilies(m): 9:04am On Nov 02, 2015
Ivory-Billed Woodpecker
The ivory-billed woodpecker has not been definitively sighted since 1944. If this unique American bird isn't already extinct, it’s not long until it will be.

1 Share

Re: List Of Animals That Have Gone Extinct In Our Lifetime by 5minsmadness: 9:08am On Nov 02, 2015
EfemenaXY:
Achilies, what about marine / aquatic animals? Surely there must be loads of them that have gone extinct too?

Why do you want to blind people? undecided

2 Likes

Re: List Of Animals That Have Gone Extinct In Our Lifetime by Fkforyou(m): 12:47pm On Nov 02, 2015
Could it be that those passenger pigeon most have migrated , I mean how can birds numbering up to a billion disappear within a span of 100 years....hmm...the movie 'Rio' comes to my mind.
Men.!!!...that tylosaurus is not only ugly but its also scary. Also if it was possible I would have loved to keep magalodons as pet....lol.
Re: List Of Animals That Have Gone Extinct In Our Lifetime by LaRoyalHighness(f): 5:25pm On Nov 02, 2015
Scary stuffs
Re: List Of Animals That Have Gone Extinct In Our Lifetime by Nobody: 6:34pm On Nov 02, 2015
Achilies:

Tylosaurus was a species of Mosasaur. It was enormous, reaching more than 50 feet (15m) in length.The tylosaurus was a meat eater with a very diverse diet. Stomach remains show signs of fish, sharks, smaller mosasaurs, plesiosaurs, and even some flightless birds. They lived during the late Cretaceous in the seas that covered North America, where they sat firmly atop the marine food chain for several million years.
Remove this from the list. The time frame is not our life time
Re: List Of Animals That Have Gone Extinct In Our Lifetime by Nobody: 6:37pm On Nov 02, 2015
Achilies:

Ivory-Billed Woodpecker
The ivory-billed woodpecker has not been definitively sighted since 1944. If this unique American bird isn't already extinct, it’s not long until it will be. 
The ivory woodpecker is extinct. I remember watching it in a program by Marty Stouffor (?) about 15/17 years ago. The last one was truly sighted in 1944
Re: List Of Animals That Have Gone Extinct In Our Lifetime by Nobody: 6:40pm On Nov 02, 2015
Man is the biggest threat to both themselves and the ecosystem
Re: List Of Animals That Have Gone Extinct In Our Lifetime by Nobody: 7:35am On Nov 03, 2015
I somehow get the feeling we're next it's the natural cause. Mankind ends up destroying everything. I would love to see how this world ends.
Re: List Of Animals That Have Gone Extinct In Our Lifetime by seeit: 5:53am On Jan 24, 2017
When you lost or found any item any were in Nigeria visit www.seeit.ng to report it, seeit.ng is a web site for lost and found item in all category.
Re: List Of Animals That Have Gone Extinct In Our Lifetime by bigfrancis21: 8:46am On Jan 24, 2017
I am an animal history lover and back in my primary school I would often go to our school library to read books about animal diversity. Of all these extinct animals, the story of the passenger pigeons got to me the most. Birds that were often in millions in numbers decimated to 0 in less than 100 years. cry cry
Re: List Of Animals That Have Gone Extinct In Our Lifetime by Gudfrie(m): 8:12pm On Jan 24, 2017
Achilies:
This extinct antelope once lived throughout much of Northern Africa and the Middle East. It was pushed toward extinction by European hunters in the 1900s.

The last remaining Bubal Hartebeest was shot between 1945 and 1954 in North Africa.  

This animal is still in the wild been hunted by the lions

(1) (2) (Reply)

Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? / Which Other Food Can I Introduce To My Baby Of 10 Mths Apart From Indomie? / Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.