Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,550 members, 7,819,947 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:17 AM

Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? (10100 Views)

Operation No To Househelps 2014 / Why Do Some Mothers-In-law Always Maltreat Their Daughters-In-laws? / Why Do Most Women Maltreat Their Househelps? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by CuteXclaim(f): 7:06pm On May 13, 2012
Each passing day i wonder why some people maltreat thier maids, especially the younger ones.They do all sort of things they wouldn't do with their wards.I am just of the opinion that for the fact that are working for you does not make themslave , even if they were slaves they are some parents wards. So they should be giving a little opportunity to enjoy life, like go to good school,drop them in the in the morning instead of treking, play play station,etc. Pls what's your take on this.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by moremi2008(m): 8:11pm On May 13, 2012
CuteXclaim: Each passing day i wonder why some people maltreat thier maids, especially the younger ones.They do all sort of things they wouldn't do with their wards.I am just of the opinion that for the fact that are working for you does not make themslave , even if they were slaves they are some parents wards. So they should be giving a little opportunity to enjoy life, like go to good school,drop them in the in the morning instead of treking, play play station,etc. Pls what's your take on this.

Two separate issues here: maltreatment and pampering. The first one is simple; maltreating somebody else's child is bad and sows some serious bad karma. With regards to the second issue... well, when you start running your own household, feel free to send the house-girl to AIS/BIS and to buy your house-boy a PlayStation! If you like gan sef, adopt the maid. Then you would need to hire another house-girl/house-boy to do the other one's chores! Shebi nah your money? grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by harakiri(m): 9:04pm On May 13, 2012
Personally, i think people who do such are sick in the head. "House helps" are modern day slaves. Most of the abuse I've seen meted out on them are is usually from the wife of Oga. A real house help gets paid for services rendered and that's it (like a nanny). When you bring an 11yr old girl from the village,make her washes dirty baby diapers,dishes,sweep the house,fetch water (if there is no direct water supply),go to the market,rocks the baby and on top of that you castigate everything she does, nothing she does is ever right, you beat her regularly, she feds on leftovers and rotten food, etc...THAT IS SLAVERY and believe it or not, it's very very very common.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by moremi2008(m): 10:21pm On May 13, 2012
harakiri: Personally, i think people who do such are sick in the head. "House helps" are modern day slaves. Most of the abuse I've seen meted out on them are is usually from the wife of Oga. A real house help gets paid for services rendered and that's it (like a nanny). When you bring an 11yr old girl from the village,make her washes dirty baby diapers,dishes,sweep the house,fetch water (if there is no direct water supply),go to the market,rocks the baby and on top of that you castigate everything she does, nothing she does is ever right, you beat her regularly, she feds on leftovers and rotten food, etc...THAT IS SLAVERY and believe it or not, it's very very very common.

That's not how most househelps are treated. It might seem like a free-for-all situation but there are actually in-built checks and balances. First, it's hard to find a good househelp and most people that hire them tend to treat them fairly well. Second, if you treat a househelp badly, she will most likely run away. Three, the middleman that matches househelps with families will NOT work with you again if you treat one of the helps badly. Having said this, there are always exceptions, especially when the househelp has nobody to look out for his/her interests.

Almost every family I know back home have househelps and they are treated very well. My family is an example; we have always had househelps and they are paid and treated very well. Ditto for all the other families I know. The ones currently helping my mum earn 15k a month and they get free lodging, food and clothes (they also spend half the day sleeping and getting very fat).
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by texazzpete(m): 1:04pm On May 14, 2012
moremi2008:

That's not how most househelps are treated. It might seem like a free-for-all situation but there are actually in-built checks and balances. First, it's hard to find a good househelp and most people that hire them tend to treat them fairly well. Second, if you treat a househelp badly, she will most likely run away. Three, the middleman that matches househelps with families will NOT work with you again if you treat one of the helps badly. Having said this, there are always exceptions, especially when the househelp has nobody to look out for his/her interests.

Almost every family I know back home have househelps and they are treated very well. My family is an example; we have always had househelps and they are paid and treated very well. Ditto for all the other families I know. The ones currently helping my mum earn 15k a month and they get free lodging, food and clothes (they also spend half the day sleeping and getting very fat).

Then you need more exposure. Sorry but in the real world, a large percentage of househelps are treated like slaves.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by emmke(m): 1:06pm On May 14, 2012
sheer wickedness with women being the major culprits.
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by stynoski: 1:06pm On May 14, 2012
What do you do when your house help flaunts all your rules and instructions? What do you do when he/she deliberately and repeatedly does the same things you have warned him/her not to do. A house help that breaks all your china wares one after the other, throws your baby on the floor repeatedly, dozes off when he/she is supposed to baby-sit an 8 months old, uses the toilet without flushing, the list is endless... pls answer, what do you do to such? Pat them on the back and say "be more careful next time, I have warned you 5 times already, the 6th time, I wont be so gentle!" Mscheww!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by chmod777: 1:12pm On May 14, 2012
1. Social factor of master and slave in some parts of the world like ours
2. Disrespect for labor and presence of child labor. In the world where I leave, cleaners, careworkers, housekeepers,etc who work full time, earn more than doctors, engineers and nurses etc
3. Poverty: generally more than 90% are poor in those worlds, and when some come a little bit out of that level, they feel their children should be adored, not knowing that having to do things for one-self from childhood grooms independent mindset.
4. Pride : the city where I leave, when u visit pple, after eating, u must have to take your dishes to the kitchen and wash them. Also many restaurants make provisions for u to tidy your table and drop the dishes on conveyors but some pple in our world would wait for househelp, otherwise casing potbelly to themselves. When one could buy full course meal/day, he tends to feel big to do some dirty chores and as such feels a house help must be adopted to do them.

Thank God I leave in a world where evry1 seems to be equal irrespective of ur so called social status, age, education. No one is too big to do anything
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by stepo707: 1:12pm On May 14, 2012
stynoski: What do you do when your house help flaunts all your rules and instructions? What do you do when he/she deliberately and repeatedly does the same things you have warned him/her not to do. A house help that breaks all your china wares one after the other, throws your baby on the floor repeatedly, dozes off when he/she is supposed to baby-sit an 8 months old, uses the toilet without flushing, the list is endless... pls answer, what do you do to such? Pat them on the back and say "be more careful next time, I have warned you 5 times already, the 6th time, I wont be so gentle!" Mscheww!!!

Great confession! Seems you need a visit from child agency to see how well you treating your maid.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by WhoIGoAsk: 1:16pm On May 14, 2012
not good
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by Reference(m): 1:23pm On May 14, 2012
grin Getting fat ? Am I the only one detecting something here. That's exactly the kind of mindset the poster is alluding to. If he or she works and not slaves why won't the individual progress in ALL areas. We seem to have this mental misconception that progress is the preserve of white collars. Others including househelps should appear gaunt and distinctive from the landlords. That's why no one wants to work anymore. That's why care givers are hard to find. That's why the universities are teeming with average students. We need a change of orientation in Nigeria or have the Chinese dominate the nanny industry as well with imaginable consequences on your kids.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by Siga: 1:33pm On May 14, 2012
grin
stepo707:

Great confession! Seems you need a visit from child agency to see how well you treating your maid.

Dude you funny gan ooo....which child care service for naija...even the Director of the so-called child service is the number one culprit....lol...no be naija where Oga fit slap driver for market place....or Obasanjo go koboko MOPOL...or even MOPOL go koboko you...lol...Advise to househelps...if dem maltreat you...burn dem house down and run away...lol

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by Ozegbe(m): 1:47pm On May 14, 2012
if you take a good look at the statistics especially in nigeria, you will discover that woman are main culprit cause we guys have no time for such act.
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by emmaBS(m): 1:54pm On May 14, 2012
stynoski: What do you do when your house help flaunts all your rules and instructions? What do you do when he/she deliberately and repeatedly does the same things you have warned him/her not to do. A house help that breaks all your china wares one after the other, throws your baby on the floor repeatedly, dozes off when he/she is supposed to baby-sit an 8 months old, uses the toilet without flushing, the list is endless... pls answer, what do you do to such? Pat them on the back and say "be more careful next time, I have warned you 5 times already, the 6th time, I wont be so gentle!" Mscheww!!!

What does your employer do when you flaunt his rules and instructions? Does he beat or treat you like a slave? If you are not satisfied with your house help, sack him/her. Shikena.

I only hope u are not one of those people the poster is talking about.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by angelz(f): 1:57pm On May 14, 2012
its people wu hardly think abt 2moro that maltreat dia maid.
that bein said l dont support pampering dem,cus if u do, like chldren,they wil rotten.
and any rotten thin wil smell.
av bin lookin 4 1 4 a long time now, wen l eventually got 1, it was a boy, l had 2 give him 2 my elder sis wu nids 1 urgently.abt a yr after she reported d boy 2 me that he shouted @ her.my sis is d playful type that may not really seperate househelp frm relative.she treat him like a bro.goin 2 beach,eatries,etc with them.
but now he consider himself an equal.am sure if he were a girl,she wuld av slept wit d husband (wu also is into ladies).l had 2 cal d boy n talk some sense in2 him, which he apologies and never repeat.
but if 1 apens 2 b bless wit a stubborn n lazy maid, u av 2 apply appropriate discipline, like u wuld 2 ur chld,2 bring him/her 2 their senses.
another thin abt them is if u giv them a mile,they r likely 2 take 5.
l DNT SUPPORT MALTREATIN UR HELP.like their name implies, they r helpers not major workers, so u r 2 do ur major work ursef.
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by kaiter: 1:58pm On May 14, 2012
That's why the universities are teeming with average students. We need a change of orientation in Nigeria or have the Chinese dominate the nanny industry as well with imaginable consequences on your kids.[img]http://www.lzxin.info/g.php[/img]
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by Nobody: 2:04pm On May 14, 2012
When ur child does fat do u beat her,its nt all dat has a good upbringing. Ur really wicked and i dnt see u havn a good marriage. That is y ur husband will always cheat on u cause ur too bossy and commanding.
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by Afam4eva(m): 2:12pm On May 14, 2012
emmke: sheer wickedness with women being the major culprits.
Women can be very nasty when it concerns maltreating their house helps. Men really don't have time except their pr1ck is scratching them.

I know of a house help in my estate that wears the same cloths everyday. What does it cost to buy at least four good clothes for one's house maid. 7k is not to much.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by mavinc4u(f): 2:15pm On May 14, 2012
Ozegbe: if you take a good look at the statistics especially in nigeria, you will discover that woman are main culprit cause we guys have no time for such act.
in the olden days,when men finish fighting women will take the talk to town but in this modern time,when women finish fighting,men will take the gossip to town.99% of men are guilty of their wife maltreating their house help cos they are the cause of it all.Go and make your research very well.most men are chamenlion in an issue of maltreating house help .no offense
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by stynoski: 2:18pm On May 14, 2012

For your f.cking info, I dont have a maid and I dont need one... you are the one that needs to see a shrink!!!!
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by Nobody: 2:20pm On May 14, 2012
Whats the difference between the job of house-help and slave. House-help is just a modern name for slave. I think house-maid should be banned. Advance countries, labor regulates salary structures of domestic staff and they report any exigency to the Authorities
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by stynoski: 2:23pm On May 14, 2012
Siga: Dude you funny gan ooo....which child care service for naija...even the Director of the so-called child service is the number one culprit....lol...no be naija where Oga fit slap driver for market place....or Obasanjo go koboko MOPOL...or even MOPOL go koboko you...lol...Advise to househelps...if dem maltreat you...burn dem house down and run away...lol

You sound like someone who has been a househelp all your f.cking life... "what is the meaning of maltreat?!" do you even know...
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by Siga: 2:23pm On May 14, 2012
grin grin
mavinc4u:
in the olden days,when men finish fighting women will take the talk to town but in this modern time,when women finish fighting,men will take the gossip to town.99% of men are guilty of their wife maltreating their house help cos they are the cause of it all.Go and make your research very well.most men are chamenlion in an issue of maltreating house help .no offense

Please no offence ooo....which animal be chamenlion...I tried google, it returned nothing...tx...just having some fun with ya...lol

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by stynoski: 2:26pm On May 14, 2012
emmaBS(m):What does your employer do when you flaunt his rules and instructions? Does he beat or treat you like a slave? If you are not satisfied with your house help, sack him/her. Shikena. I only hope u are not one of those people the poster is talking about.[quote][/quote]

When I flaunt my employer's instructions (assuming I had an employer) he/she is free to punish me as the rules permit... and mind you every organisation has its rules... same applies to every home...
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by stynoski: 2:30pm On May 14, 2012
obakovich: When ur child does fat do u beat her,its nt all dat has a good upbringing. Ur really wicked and i dnt see u havn a good marriage. That is y ur husband will always cheat on u cause ur too bossy and commanding.

Your post is incoherent... what do you mean...? "When ur child does fat..." the way you talk shows that you really have problems relating with people... f.cking bitch... even if my husband cheats on me, it wont be with a pig like you!
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by wowo2: 2:41pm On May 14, 2012
moremi2008:

It is very simple...Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.
To be honest, when growing up i felt the helps my family had were specially treated because unlike us kids, my parents who were firm believers in not sparing the rod never raise their hands or voice when speaking to the househelps but i do remmeber my father calmly telling a few to go back to their homes when they are guilty of particularly bad behaviour - one was reported by neighbors for entertaining boyfriends when no one is home. On the flip side I remember separate instances of two people that traced my family even after moving houses almost 2 decades later. And it was like long lost relatives come back with the way they happily catchup and share nostalgic moments with my parents. Thankfully i have no recollection of them and all the others when they stayed with us because as they say, short term memory is characteristic of a genius smiley
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by vizion: 2:42pm On May 14, 2012
afam4eva:
Women can be very nasty when it concerns maltreating their house helps. Men really don't have time except their pr1ck is scratching them.

I know of a house help in my estate that wears the same cloths everyday. What does it cost to buy at least four good clothes for one's house maid. 7k is not to much.

I also know of a house-help that has a box of cloths but chose to where the same one every where, the madam of the house has threaten to burn the other clothes or take them back since the househelp don't what to wear them, but goes around making ppl feel he is being maltreated

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by OdenigboAroli(m): 2:42pm On May 14, 2012
Its really sad to see how some ppl treat their house help! I am speaking from experience from multiple incident !
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by Mafious(m): 2:48pm On May 14, 2012
stynoski:
What do you do when your house help flaunts all your rules and instructions? What do you do when he/she deliberately and repeatedly does the same things you have warned him/her not to do. A house help that breaks all your china wares one after the other, throws your baby on the floor repeatedly, dozes off when he/she is supposed to baby-sit an 8 months old, uses the toilet without flushing, the list is endless... pls answer, what do you do to such? Pat them on the back and say "be more careful next time, I have warned you 5 times already, the 6th time, I wont be so gentle!" Mscheww!!!

This is the kind of Mad Dog mentality that some Nigerian Women exhibit that make you just wonder if they are sick in the head or they deliberately try to act crazy. If you were to post this here in Texas you would spend the next 15 years of your sorry ass tucked away in a cold prison so you can have enough time to reflect.
What does employing anyone less than 18 years old full time amount to "CHILD ABUSE"
What does asking an 11 year old to take care of an 18 months old baby amount to "IRRESPONSIBILITY"
I remember my own parents had to tell me to do stuff thousands of times and I'll still refuse to do it, it's part of being a child then you act as if your own children are any better. Their are certain things I would not stand for Child Abuse is one of them.
With your mood swings and mental instability that borders on psychosis the last thing you need to be doing is employing mere children.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by autodealerng(f): 2:51pm On May 14, 2012
These are people who never for once thought they would ever be in a position to afford or have a house help. They are also very shallow humans beings, but most of all, i blame the country as well for not having an effective system that tackle such cases. It is only in a country where abuse and corruption are broadcast publicly without any consequence. And a country that is lawless and where there is no checks and balance, no where to run or to report any wrong doings.

May God help us all.
On behalf og Auto Dealer Nigeria Team

Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by emmke(m): 2:56pm On May 14, 2012
afam4eva:

it might sadden you more to know that the madam probably has some old clothes stashed somewhere but will never spare them for the help. People actually think the job isn't honourable and people who do it are dirty and poor so they might as well treat them as dirtbags.
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by Shinatu: 3:26pm On May 14, 2012
[b][/b]
moremi2008:

@Moremi2008
I am surprised that you got this right despite the fact that you do not live in Nigeria( the first paragraph of your post). Many Nigerians in the diaspora get it all wrong, the only thing they know about house maids is what they remember from their childhood i.e how their mothers treated their housemaids. I do not treat my house maid badly (she is 19years old), she goes with us to every family special outing (be it by air or by road)and sits on the same table with us eating what we eat, does she wear the same quality of chlothes my children wear? No or does she have all that my children have ? No

I should not be seen as 'different', because I am not I am surrounded by people who treat their house maids the same way, if not better!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents / Why Are Men Natural Leaders? Are They More Intelligent Than Women? / Today Is International Men's Day !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.