Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,799 members, 7,810,078 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:13 PM

Lets Diagnose This Grand Cherokee Issue (fixed) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Lets Diagnose This Grand Cherokee Issue (fixed) (1890 Views)

What Is The Best Transmission And Engine Oil For Grand Cherokee Jeep 2005 Model / Toks Renault Scenic Starting Issue Fixed. Easily! / How To Diagnose Alternator Problems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lets Diagnose This Grand Cherokee Issue (fixed) by sultaan(m): 1:09am On Nov 02, 2015
Here are the symptoms

For a very long time the brakes were squishy soft and hiss whistle.
Idle was not stable meaning there was a vacuum leak

I drove without the booster hose attached for a couple of days then suddenly
Idle is 1100
Jeep lunging and have to step hard on brakes to keep it from running into thing
ANd brakes are very hard like directly stepping on hydraulics
Cleaned throttle body and IAC no change
yesterday got a CEL P1294

I think I know what the problem has been for a long time but with a bad brake now had to spend ~N27k for a remanufactured part.

I could have gotten a used one from the junk yard but didn't have the time and it is a safety issue

will be installing it now

What do you think is wrong based on the little information I have given
Re: Lets Diagnose This Grand Cherokee Issue (fixed) by fishly(f): 6:11am On Nov 02, 2015
You didn't state the year of manufacture
Re: Lets Diagnose This Grand Cherokee Issue (fixed) by mayor2013: 7:30am On Nov 02, 2015
sultaan:
Here are the symptoms

Idle is 1100

Target idle speed not reached . Is your car a DBW or a DBC?

I think I know what the problem has been for a long time but with a bad brake now had to spend ~N27k for a remanufactured part.

I could have gotten a used one from the junk yard but didn't have the time and it is a safety issue

Re: Lets Diagnose This Grand Cherokee Issue (fixed) by mayor2013: 7:31am On Nov 02, 2015
sultaan:
Here are the symptoms

Idle is 1100

Target idle speed not reached . Is your car a DBW or a DBC? ( drive by wire or drive by cable)
Re: Lets Diagnose This Grand Cherokee Issue (fixed) by sultaan(m): 9:07pm On Nov 02, 2015
2000 grand Cherokee limited 4.7 and

Dbw

So far stayed up late replacing the brake booster the darting stopped just need to drive around and see if the idle stabilizes can't feel any more surges right now.

There are cars for sale at my work might get rid of this truck if it still messing up to get a Cmax which will carry load and still get over 35 mpg
Re: Lets Diagnose This Grand Cherokee Issue (fixed) by sultaan(m): 9:10pm On Nov 02, 2015
Removal

Replacement with remanufactured unit
And the old booster

Re: Lets Diagnose This Grand Cherokee Issue (fixed) by Jakumo(m): 10:04pm On Nov 02, 2015
Sultaan I throway salute. Have you replaced the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) on that 2000 WJ version Jeep Grand Cherokee ?

I had some strange throttle issues until I replaced that $50 part, which fixed the problem instantly. Check Crysler Parts Online to get one.

Those WJ Jeeps do have a problem with the stock brakes binding up and stopping the car, so you may wind up having to go with after-market brake calipers all round, along with drilled or slotted rotors to avoid getting stuck out there. The WJ is otherwise a solidly built SUV, especially when fitted with the optional, ultra-reliable, "bullet proof" 4.7 liter V8 motor.

Driving a WJ Jeep years ago on a late night's desolate and winding Nigerian road, I was forced to invoke the full wrath of that 4.7 liter engine in order to escape a very determined car full of armed banditos who evidently felt that I would make a suitable target to rob or kidnap. That V8 Jeep Grand did not let me down that night, and I have regarded that MOPOAR power-plant with reverence and respect ever since.

2 Likes

Re: Lets Diagnose This Grand Cherokee Issue (fixed) by abatically(m): 10:21pm On Nov 02, 2015
sultaan:
2000 grand Cherokee limited 4.7 and

Lol So u drive a 2000 model Cherokee yet u fit open ur mouth dey yab anybody that drives a 2001 Camry. Me I been think say na 2015 car u suppose dey drive. And did I hear u mention junkyard?
Re: Lets Diagnose This Grand Cherokee Issue (fixed) by sultaan(m): 11:35pm On Nov 02, 2015
abatically:

Lol So u drive a 2000 model Cherokee yet u fit open ur mouth dey yab anybody that drives a 2001 Camry. Me I been think say na 2015 car u suppose dey drive. And did I hear u mention junkyard?

Does it hurt you so bad when I call Camry pure water

Let it go and make contributions others can learn from.

I have been using that used jeep for 7 years so I encourage people to buy a car they like to use for a long time do you understand me now
Re: Lets Diagnose This Grand Cherokee Issue (fixed) by Jakumo(m): 12:41am On Nov 03, 2015
abatically:

I for one am a proud, unrepentant patron and lifetime customer of auto-part junkyards worldwide, since a well-stocked junkard can be the very best place to find rare parts for older cars, many of which, once upgraded with SPECIFIC, KNOWN fixes, will easily out-perform the majority of those disposable, over-engineered, high maintenance, latest model, look-at-me cars that bedazzle so many.

For raw horsepower and precision handling, which is all I personally give a phuck about, a random choice from my stable of decades old, tired-looking cars will give any 2015-manufactured vehicle of similar capacity a major run for its money, yet these relics cost me but a tiny fraction of a new car's cost. By all means purchase a new car every year, if you can afford to do so, but when next you feel inclined to look down your nose at an older vehicle, just remember this old saying : "It ain't how you look - Its what you got under your hood."

Apologies for the digression, Megida Sultaan.
Re: Lets Diagnose This Grand Cherokee Issue (fixed) by abatically(m): 1:00am On Nov 03, 2015
Jakumo:

I for one am a proud, unrepentant patron and lifetime customer of auto-part junkyards worldwide, since a well-stocked junkard can be the very best place to find rare parts for older cars, many of which, once upgraded with SPECIFIC, KNOWN fixes, will easily out-perform the majority of those disposable, over-engineered, high maintenance, latest model, look-at-me cars that bedazzle so many.

For raw horsepower and precision handling, which is all I personally give a phuck about, a random choice from my stable of decades old, tired-looking cars will give any 2015-manufactured vehicle of similar capacity a major run for its money, yet these relics cost me but a tiny fraction of a new car's cost. By all means purchase a new car every year, if you can afford to do so, but when next you feel inclined to look down your nose at an older vehicle, just remember this old saying : "It ain't how you look - Its what you got under your hood."

Apologies for the digression, Megida Sultaan.

Lol. All these for me? Looks like u missed the thread where sultaan was condemning Nigerians that operate junkyards and those that patronize them. I never thought he could also patronize a junkyard.
sultaan:
junks, thrash of oyinbo is what we crave when new parts are even cheaper.

All say thanks to Nigerian government policy.

I don't know what kind of part my brother is buying in Chinese market I hope focus on Japanese brands grin

Please people every time you boast of a market don't post pictures other people in the world will only see our yansh and it is ridiculously dirty.

You can't boast of the biggest part market is the biggest African economy then post pictures of craps in gutters like that!
Re: Lets Diagnose This Grand Cherokee Issue (fixed) by abatically(m): 1:03am On Nov 03, 2015
sultaan:

Does it hurt you so bad when I call Camry pure water

Let it go and make contributions others can learn from.

I have been using that used jeep for 7 years so I encourage people to buy a car they like to use for a long time do you understand me now

Naa, doesn't hurt a bit as I don't even drive a Camry. And mind u I know people that have been driving their camry for 10 years and still going strong. That is everyday driving in Nigeria with bad roads, dust and kazeems as mechanics. Bring any of those ur American cars down to naija and I bet u they won't survive 3 years.

1 Like

Re: Lets Diagnose This Grand Cherokee Issue (fixed) by chemvic: 5:09am On Nov 03, 2015
abatically:

Naa, doesn't hurt a bit as I don't even drive a Camry. And mind u I know people that have been driving their camry for 10 years and still going strong. That is everyday driving in Nigeria with bad roads, dust and kazeems as mechanics. Bring any of those ur American cars down to naija and I bet u they won't survive 3 years.
@abatically I disagree with you on your closing remarks, I have seen american cars last 7 years as well, it depends on the atitude of the owner to maintainance, so don't be bias in judgment. As rugged as german cars are adjudged to be, if poorly maintained can get off road in little less than a year. My submission!

1 Like

Re: Lets Diagnose This Grand Cherokee Issue (fixed) by sultaan(m): 2:56pm On Nov 05, 2015
Problem was solved 3 days ago I had kazeemized the truck and it was giving all the signs without me fully checking my vacuum lines

At some point I had removed the vacuum hose from the airbox then put the booster hose on the air box I only realised it after taking the pictures both hoses are long enough to reach the air box and I only figured out where the booster hose goes after thinking of how I use seafoam hose should connect to intake manifold

Pic show both hoses trying to figure out connection

Booster connection at intake

Current idle and mileage

(1) (Reply)

The Gallant BMW 7 Series. / Price Of Petrol Dropping Weekly In Yola, Adamawa State / Top 10 Fastest Cars 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.