Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,153 members, 7,818,483 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:03 PM

Man Takes Physically Challenged Lady To The Altar - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Man Takes Physically Challenged Lady To The Altar (1589 Views)

See What This Bi-sexual Lady To Her Ex-boyffriend Who Broke Her Heart / Can We Guys Physically Tell If A Girl Just Had Sex Recently With Another Guy? / Ladies, How Would You React If A Man Takes You To This Kind Of Restaurant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Takes Physically Challenged Lady To The Altar by REALTRUTH1: 1:42am On May 10, 2009
‘m short of words” were the exact words of Rev. Fr. Chigozie Odibo, the officiating priest at the wedding of Blessing and Bob Chukwunemerem Inyama.

Skip to next paragraph

File
The couple exchanging marital vows

Odibo was not the only speechless person at Christ the King Catholic Church, Ilasamaja, Lagos, where the ceremony held penultimate Saturday, May 2. The congregation that gathered to witness the holy solemnisation were stunned as Bob declared his love for Blessing who was on a wheelchair. ”This is true love,” declared a pregnant woman in the congregation. ”How many men can marry a woman on a wheelchair? Even girls that can walk are looking for husbands,” said another.

The bride was full of smiles as she exchanged marital vows with the man she had known since childhood. Grinning from ear to ear, the couple, who met 15 years ago, told everyone that cared to listen that they were together forever.

Going down memory lane, Blessing, 33, a manager with Crusader Insurance Plc said that no challenge could surmount the love she had for her husband, ”We met when I was very little; about 15 years ago. He saw me and fell in love but I didn‘t know. As I became older, I noticed that he was always coming to our house to play with me at Mbaise, Imo State. This went on for a while but I did not know what was on his mind.”

There was, however, a long pause in their relationship when Bob travelled out of the country to acquire more education. But this was not enough to deter him from pursuing the woman whom he fondly called ‘sweetheart.‘

Blessing, a chartered accountant, said, ”After a while, he travelled out of the country and we lost contact for seven years. In August 2006, my phone rang and he was the one on the line. We chatted and he asked me if I was married. I told him I was single, and that was how it all started. He told me what he had in mind right from when I was little. He said I was a small child then and he did not want to spoil me. He was actually waiting for me to come of age before letting his intentions known.”

Apart from his love for her, the bride told SUNDAY PUNCH that she was attracted to her husband because of his looks, ”He is a man of God; he‘s a man that fears God. He‘s also sincere and handsome. Those were the things that attracted him to me.”

The 32-year-old groom was not going to be outshined as he told his part of their love story. ”She was a little girl in the village when I met her. She was very pretty. Anyone who saw her liked her and came around her. I fell in love with her the first day I set my eyes on her. She‘s a wonderful girl.”

The admiration and love the couple shared was evident in their eyes. Guests at the ceremony were, however, baffled at the way the groom’s family showered the bride with affection despite her physical challenge. They hugged and kissed her at the slightest opportunity. According to Bob, his family raised no objection when he took his bride home, ”I‘m not aware of any objection. If anyone had any reservation, they did not voice it out.” Blessing nodded in agreement, ”I did not experience any stigma from his family. They love me and I love them too.”

If you think a great job, good education and a handsome man is all that Blessing has going for her, then wait till you read this: she also drives a car. There‘s absolutely no stopping the lady who has a Masters in Business Administration degree from the Ladoke Akintola University, Ogbomosho, Oyo State. No doubt, she‘s encountered difficulties, especially in a society that does not think highly of physically challenged individuals. But she has trudged on despite the polio attack she had as a child, she said: ”When I was in primary school, other children used to laugh at me. When I wanted to start my education, my parents were discouraged but I was determined to go to school. I told myself that even if they laughed at me for months or years, they would leave me alone and that was what happened. Fortunately I was always the best student in class. So, instead of laughing at me, they were always coming around me to teach them one thing or the other.

”I went to Amumara Community School for my primary school education and Amumara Secondary School, Mbaise, Imo State. I also attended the Federal Polytechnic, Afikpo for an Ordinary National Dipolma. I also have a Higher National Diploma. I‘m a charted accountant and I have an MBA from the Ladoke Akintola University.

”When I see physically challenged people, especially those that beg on the road, I try to encourage them. I remember when I was driving along the Iyana Isolo Bridge, Lagos, I saw a disabled man, who was an agbero (tout). When he saw me, he said ‘mama, settle us.‘ I called him and talked to him. He told me to call him regularly to encourage him. Since then, I‘ve not seen him at the bus-stop.”

When the couple was asked the number of children they would like to have. Bob said, ”She‘s not a baby making factory, four would be perfect.” His wife added, ”He‘s always teasing me that he wants 12 children but I want three.”

Blessing was thankful to friends who supported her. She singled out the Mobility Aid and Appliances Research and Development Centre, ”I‘ve known MAARDEC for years. I got to know them when my wheelchair was giving me problems; somebody recommended them to me that they could fix my chair. I fell in love with them and became a volunteer in their accounting unit.”

The president of the organisation, Cosmas Okoli , said the bride was a success story, ”She epitomises the contributions of our empowerment of persons with disabilities. Today, she is a chartered accountant, totally independent and drives herself. Her marriage is therefore another milestone in the attainment of our mission statement, which is: to empower persons with disabilities through the provision of innovative, affordable mobility aids, appliances and complementary services to ensure that they are socially, economically and politically relevant in the society.”

http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200905103141970
Re: Man Takes Physically Challenged Lady To The Altar by REALTRUTH1: 1:46am On May 10, 2009
could this be true love
Re: Man Takes Physically Challenged Lady To The Altar by biina: 2:25am On May 10, 2009
Wishing them a blessed married life!!!
Re: Man Takes Physically Challenged Lady To The Altar by StrStruck(f): 2:37am On May 10, 2009
Inspiring.
Re: Man Takes Physically Challenged Lady To The Altar by spoilt(f): 2:48am On May 10, 2009
I dont see disabilities in people.
Its all in your head and your heart not in your limbs or spinal cord!  undecided
Congratulations to them.
Re: Man Takes Physically Challenged Lady To The Altar by FLGators1: 2:58am On May 10, 2009
Should it be fascinating just cuz she's physically challenged?
That's why it's news?

I take that as disrespect.
Now that's just cruel undecided undecided
Re: Man Takes Physically Challenged Lady To The Altar by REALTRUTH1: 12:20pm On May 10, 2009
I sure do congratulate them and am happy for them too!,,but my thinking is that certain things that I believe inspires LOVE is found in that lady called blessing. This is one thing I tell people too,,,I will marry a lady like this becos she did all her best to overcaome the challenges that tends to want to limit her,,,someone recounted in the wedding ceremony that even ladies that complete can't find husband,,,what is complete here,,,that she has two legs and good bodily shape? No way,, if a lady never takes her time to develop her self ,,,I would never get close to her,,,get an education or a skill and don't be over dependent on a man,,,that is the new level of what inspires LOVE,,,
Re: Man Takes Physically Challenged Lady To The Altar by teissys(f): 3:30pm On May 11, 2009
FL Gators!:

That's why it's news?

Now, tell me something lady; did u just change your username? You sound like someone else who has suddenly gone AWOL. . .
Trust me I intend to find out wink

@ Post;
"Physically challenged" or not; there's nothing extra-ordinary that. The two have just found their other missing jigsaw puzzle and pieced it together, that's all.
Hakuna matata cheesy
Re: Man Takes Physically Challenged Lady To The Altar by Uche2nna(m): 3:34pm On May 11, 2009
FL Gators!:

That's why it's news?

Uhhhmmm, yeah!!!!

Lets see U get married to a physically challenged man, No , scratch that, lets see U get married to a financially challenged man and then we can talk!! tongue
Re: Man Takes Physically Challenged Lady To The Altar by spikedcylinder: 3:38pm On May 11, 2009
Lol! cheesy
Re: Man Takes Physically Challenged Lady To The Altar by ThoniaSlim(f): 3:43pm On May 11, 2009
I wish them a wonderful married life.
Re: Man Takes Physically Challenged Lady To The Altar by Ben13: 3:50pm On May 11, 2009
me too
Re: Man Takes Physically Challenged Lady To The Altar by teissys(f): 3:54pm On May 11, 2009
Eiyah. . . Ben, how far na
I missed you big tym o
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Man Takes Physically Challenged Lady To The Altar by jamace(m): 8:21pm On May 11, 2009
I'm happy for them. A typical example of love not seeing any limitation. May God bless their marriage.
Re: Man Takes Physically Challenged Lady To The Altar by MaiSuya(m): 8:41pm On May 11, 2009
Love, as they always say is. . .

Wishing the couple a blissful marriage.
Re: Man Takes Physically Challenged Lady To The Altar by Igwe9(m): 9:07pm On May 11, 2009
I wish them all the goodies in marriage.
Re: Man Takes Physically Challenged Lady To The Altar by Kunbee: 12:04am On May 12, 2009
love is blind marriage restores sight congratulations
Re: Man Takes Physically Challenged Lady To The Altar by FLGators1: 12:11am On May 12, 2009

Now, tell me something lady; did u just change your username? You sound like someone else who has suddenly gone AWOL. . .
Trust me I intend to find ou
Not denying not admitting wink tongue

Uhhhmmm, yeah!!!!

Lets see U get married to a physically challenged man, No , scratch that, l[b]ets see U get married to a financially challenged man and then we can talk!![/b]

Uche2nna, I already told you that I'll marry you even if you're not rich yet. We'll make it together tongue tongue

On a serious note, I think it's rude to give them special attention just because of the lady's disability.
It's like giving a person in a wheel chair special "awwwww" just because he can't walk. That's what I call pity. And that's not right wink
Re: Man Takes Physically Challenged Lady To The Altar by sosisi(f): 3:08am On May 12, 2009
FL Gators!:

[b]Should it be fascinating just cuz she's physically challenged?[/b]That's why it's news?

see who's talking

aren't you the same girl that'll run away from short men just because they're vertically challenged.
Re: Man Takes Physically Challenged Lady To The Altar by FLGators1: 3:34am On May 12, 2009
@Osisi
That's called preference.

Making it a "Breaking News" cuz I married a short man is an insult to him.

What if it becomes news that your husband marries you because you're blind (God forbid bad thing).
Wouldn't it discontenting to be hearing "awww, he's so wonderful to have married her", "Happy married couples. [b]Must [/b]be true love" bla bla?
Re: Man Takes Physically Challenged Lady To The Altar by sosisi(f): 3:39am On May 12, 2009
the woman willingly gave an interview to the papers and talks about her disability
what's your own
In Nigeria majority of the disabled end up as street beggars so that makes this a success story in every angle.
Re: Man Takes Physically Challenged Lady To The Altar by FLGators1: 3:52am On May 12, 2009
A success story that disabilities are getting married?

The fact that some of you people are taking precious time to applaud her situation is ridicule on its own. Wouldn't surprise me if she comes out with a book too.
Re: Man Takes Physically Challenged Lady To The Altar by SeanT21(f): 5:24am On May 12, 2009
CONGRATS TO THEM. wink
Re: Man Takes Physically Challenged Lady To The Altar by Nobody: 8:35am On May 12, 2009
SeanT21:

CONGRATS TO THEM. wink

hey sean, epi wants your attention.
Re: Man Takes Physically Challenged Lady To The Altar by PERVERT9: 12:18pm On May 12, 2009
na now i know say na true say love is blind
Re: Man Takes Physically Challenged Lady To The Altar by FLGators1: 12:06am On May 13, 2009
_ rotflmao grin
Re: Man Takes Physically Challenged Lady To The Altar by REALTRUTH1: 1:00am On May 13, 2009
PERVERT9:

na now i know say na true say love is blind
Love has never been blind at anytime,it sees very clearly! The guy in question saw with his clear eyes that the physically challenged lady is Chartered Accountant and a Manager in her place of work,,that is what inspired him to marry the lady.If the lady was a nobody, the guy won't marry her.That is why I keep saying people should always use there brain(HEAD) when it comes to man and woman issue.Infact the man actually won a jackpot from my own perspective!

(1) (Reply)

Naija Babes Watch Out"i'll Play Rough" / Is It Normal For Guys? / SHE NEEDS HELP: Is She Really Ungrateful?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.