Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,159 members, 7,811,343 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:46 AM

N1.04tn Fine: MTN Apologises, Seeks Leniency - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / N1.04tn Fine: MTN Apologises, Seeks Leniency (20189 Views)

Nigeria Seeks Foreign Investors For Smart Cities Project / N1.04trn Fine: Nigerian Lawyers Challenge NCC In Court / MTN Seeks To Reduce $5.2bn NCC Fine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

N1.04tn Fine: MTN Apologises, Seeks Leniency by Adesiji77: 7:51am On Nov 04, 2015
We did not renew licence, NCC insists

Following the N1.04 trillion fine imposed on MTN Nigeria by the telecoms industry regulator, the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), for violating its directive on SIM card deactivation, it appears the telecoms company is already seeking pardon.

Reuters reported that two sources had informed it that the cell phone operator had written a letter to Nigerian authorities asking for leniency.

MTN was fined $5.2 billion (N1.04 trillion) for not deactivating unregistered SIM cards from its network.

Giving details of the fine, NCC said the commission had consistently engaged Mobile Network Operators, (MNOs) to strictly adhere to the regulations and its business rules in the registration of their subscribers.

But despite all of these several engagements, the commission confirmed various cases of violations of the regulations and sanctioned appropriately.
Consistent with the commission’s mandate and its regulatory process, the commission monitored MNOs compliance with the above regulations and in 2012, observed irregularities in the registration process.

Given the recent security concerns in the country, government held several meetings with MNOs on the need to ensure only properly registered SIM cards are active on their networks, NCC said.

On August 4, 2015, another high level meeting was held with the MNOs. Consequent upon which earlier directives were reinforced with a deadline to deactivate all invalid/improperly registered SIM cards within seven days ending August 11, 2015.

Three days after the deadline, the commission carried out a compliance audit of all the MNOs from 14th to 18th August, 2015.

The outcome of the audit showed that while all other MNOs complied substantially with the directive to deactivate improperly registered SIM xards, MTN showed no sign of compliance at all.

Meanwhile, contrary to information released by the telecoms company that the NCC has approved the renewal, and consequent extension of the tenure of MTN’s operating spectrum in the 900MHz and 1800MHz frequency bands, the NCC, in a statement, said it did not renew the Digital Mobile Licence (DML) of telecoms operators (telcos).

According to NCC, the commission had earlier this year, decided that the DML issuance be disconnected, and subsumed under the Unified Service Access Licence (USAL), which it granted MTN and Airtel in 2006, since USAL licence is a more relevant licence, with plans to harmonise both licences.

NCC insisted that what the telecoms operators got was extension of their USAL licence by additional five years, from the initial 10 years period, which will now expire in 2021.

NCC said in 2006, MTN along with other licencees, was granted UASL for a period of 10 years, commencing from September 1, 2006, to August 31, 2016.

NCC further explained that in 2007, when MTN won the 2GHz spectrum licence, the commission, extended the UASL licence by another five years for both MTN and Airtel and asked them to pay for the extension fee, which was paid in 2007. According to NCC, payment for extension of operational licence cannot be the same with licence renewal and that it did not renew the licence of any telecoms operator.

But according to a statement from MTN, NCC has approved the renewal, and consequent extension of the tenure of MTN’s operating spectrum in the 900MHz and 1800MHz frequency bands. With this renewal and extension, MTN’s operating spectrum which was issued along with the Digital Mobile License (DML) in 2001, with an original expiry date of August 31, 2016, has now been extended to 31stAugust, 2021.

The statement further read: The licence extension notification was contained in a letter dated November 2, 2015, and signed by the acting Executive Vice-Chairman of the NCC, Prof. Umaru Dambatta.

According to the letter: “MTN will, however, be required to pay the sum of $94,225,152.75 as Spectrum fee for the 5 year extension period.”

It added that in February 2001, pursuant to one of the most transparent mobile license auctions in the world, the NCC issued DML to three pioneer mobile operators. The licences were bundled with spectrum in the 900MHz and 1800MHz frequency bands. Among other authorisations, MTN also holds a Unified Access License and a 3G Spectrum License through which it provides a full bouquet of digital services to its esteemed customers throughout Nigeria.

Corporate Services Executive of MTN, Mr. Akinwale Goodluck, said: “We view this extension as a demonstration of confidence in MTN’s capacity to continue to provide ground-breaking and innovative services to its customers, and another milestone in the evolution of the Nigerian communications industry.”

Responding to MTN’s claim, NCC, in a statement, said: The DML won by MTN in 2001 was for a period of 15 years, commencing from 9/2/2016, subject to automatic renewal as provided for in paragraph 3 and 4 of the DML licence condition.

The NCC statement further said that MTN along with other licencees, was granted Unified Access Service Licence (UASL) for a period of ten years, commencing from 1/9/2006 to 31/8/2016.

In 2007, when MTN won the 2GHz spectrum licence, the Commission, based on the Information Memorandum, requested MTN to pay for the extension of its UASL licence. Records available in NCC Finance Department, show that MTN paid for extension of the licence in 2007, from 10 years to 15 years.

Early this year, in compliance with the condition with the DML licence on renewal, MTN, along with other licencees, applied for the renewal of the DML licence, which expires on 8th February, 2016.

After due consideration, by the commission, it was decided that the DML issuance will be disconnected, as it has been subsumed under the USAL. However, the tenure of the spectrum licence being used for this service, 900MHz and 1800MHz, would be harmonised to run concurrently with the UASL for administrative convenience.

The commission, by a letter dated 27th July, 2015, had asked MTN to pay for the extension of the spectrum till 31st of August, 2015, the statement said, adding that MTN has to pay spectrum fees till 2021, instead of 2016.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/n1-04tn-fine-mtn-apologises-seeks-leniency/224627/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Apologises, Seeks Leniency by vkeydon(m): 8:25am On Nov 04, 2015
well i am the right person MTN should hv met to ask for liniency i know the chairman of NCC he was my student back then in primary skul if MTN can pls jst give me #200 naira recharge card i will be so grateful and definitely will ask the NCC chairman to help them out.

16 Likes

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Apologises, Seeks Leniency by menix(m): 4:43pm On Nov 04, 2015
I use God name beg NCC, Abeg!!! Make una no gree oooo..

MTN nah thief ooooo, those people don use the last 2 weeks gather the money from debiting people for subscriptions we re not using.

NCC if una fit adhere to my beg, God go promote all of una nd una pikin go buy MTN when time reach..

MTN, the beast connection..

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Apologises, Seeks Leniency by macuwon(m): 4:43pm On Nov 04, 2015
Dat epistle is too long, i couldnt read it, but i know one thing..

Everywhere you go!...... You go pay that fine!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Apologises, Seeks Leniency by MadCow1: 4:43pm On Nov 04, 2015
Buhari Sir, Abeg forgive MTN..

Make them pay the money small small over a period.

Any Company wey remove 1.3 Trillion Naira from ehn account must suffer.

No more bonanza and promo again.

project fame go close.

Dem fit even vex go collect that Aeroplane wey dem dash that babe for promo back.. grin

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Apologises, Seeks Leniency by Berrylite: 4:43pm On Nov 04, 2015
Ok
Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Apologises, Seeks Leniency by Nobody: 4:43pm On Nov 04, 2015
Not my business
Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Apologises, Seeks Leniency by kulobyno: 4:44pm On Nov 04, 2015
MTN should pay and stop seeking pity. They have ripped Nigerians for years without remorse

21 Likes

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Apologises, Seeks Leniency by Csami(m): 4:44pm On Nov 04, 2015
Empty hen never see something. They should pay that money o! In fact, FG should increase that fine by 50%.

3 Likes

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Apologises, Seeks Leniency by pobosky20(m): 4:44pm On Nov 04, 2015
No going back.let them pay that fine!!!!

1 Like

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Apologises, Seeks Leniency by EverestdeBliu(m): 4:44pm On Nov 04, 2015
If the Fine is paid,what will it be used for?. Won't it be shared among the elite? What difference will it make to the common man?

1 Like

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Apologises, Seeks Leniency by okeyfx(m): 4:44pm On Nov 04, 2015
but to be sincere o, the fine is way damm too much

4 Likes

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Apologises, Seeks Leniency by Inioluwa01(m): 4:45pm On Nov 04, 2015
As much as I detest EmptyN, I think NCC should tamper justice with mercy. That fine is more than the budget of some African Countries.....meanwhile.....

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Apologises, Seeks Leniency by gurunlocker: 4:45pm On Nov 04, 2015
I just dey pity this MTN sha

1 Like

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Apologises, Seeks Leniency by Seunaj05(m): 4:45pm On Nov 04, 2015
Whooping $5.2 billion it just too much! . NCC letting MTN have the feeling of wot it means to be exploited. MTN has exploited Nigerians since 16th of May, 2001. 15 good years, NCC is determined to collect their own share of the profit

6 Likes

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Apologises, Seeks Leniency by Tenim47(m): 4:45pm On Nov 04, 2015
MTN go come change call rate #100/sec or min. .

2 Likes

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Apologises, Seeks Leniency by kkkp: 4:45pm On Nov 04, 2015
Una must pay o! Remembering those days that MTN sim was abt 20k..mtn na tif

7 Likes

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Apologises, Seeks Leniency by jeje123(m): 4:45pm On Nov 04, 2015
I'm very sure d burden will be passed on Nigerians

3 Likes

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Apologises, Seeks Leniency by qualityovenbake(m): 4:46pm On Nov 04, 2015
Ok
Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Apologises, Seeks Leniency by ichidodo: 4:46pm On Nov 04, 2015
F**k that bullsh**t..
Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Apologises, Seeks Leniency by chiedu7: 4:46pm On Nov 04, 2015
GEJs boys fined virgin and BA millions and the house of reps stopped it.
until they deal with them, I no go take this serious

http://businessnews.com.ng/2011/12/05/fg-sets-up-panel-to-appraise-235m-fine-against-ba-and-virgin-atlantic/

2 Likes

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Apologises, Seeks Leniency by LordMecuzy(m): 4:46pm On Nov 04, 2015
I Think our Government should be lenient here tho hope it serves as a warning to other firms

1 Like

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Apologises, Seeks Leniency by EmmanuelDon7(m): 4:47pm On Nov 04, 2015
They should b granted national pardon.

The amount should b reduced drastically if nt poor subscribers ll pay d price indirectly.

1 Like

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Apologises, Seeks Leniency by Lanceslot(m): 4:47pm On Nov 04, 2015
He who fetched insect infested firewood is inviting lizards for a meal... No leniency for them, they should pay the heavy fine which will serve as a lesson to other foreign companies (Indian/Lebanon/China) who think they can do anyhow in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Apologises, Seeks Leniency by Tenim47(m): 4:47pm On Nov 04, 2015
vkeydon:
well i am the right person MTN should hv met to ask for liniency i know the chairman of NCC he was my student back then in primary skul if MTN can pls jst give me #200 naira recharge card i will be so grateful and definitely will ask the NCC chairman to help them out.
Is dat ur problem?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Apologises, Seeks Leniency by hotgunz(m): 4:47pm On Nov 04, 2015
So MTN can beg Wen una comot my 200naira. For my acct and i called customers care d beg una.... dat girl b say, sorry pls we don't accept begging in here. GOD catch una.

4 Likes

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Apologises, Seeks Leniency by dridowu: 4:47pm On Nov 04, 2015
NCC should please pity them with condition such as

1) 5GB for 1k/Month
2) 1# for 2Minutes (all network)
3) 2# for 320 Chararcter (all network)
4) Graduate Trainee should receive 250000 per month
5) Listing of MTN shares on NSE
6) Corporate Social Responsible must be double than the present one
7) Condusive Environment for their Staffs
cool Nairanlanders Add Yours

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Apologises, Seeks Leniency by tolexy007(m): 4:48pm On Nov 04, 2015
but lets be sincere to ourself, that money to much angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Apologises, Seeks Leniency by Nobody: 4:49pm On Nov 04, 2015
They should pay it jor.

I am totally in support.

Haven't they swindled us enough?

But the most annoying thing is, this matter will be swept under the rug after a few Ogas have been settled.

2 Likes

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Apologises, Seeks Leniency by Idrismusty97(m): 4:49pm On Nov 04, 2015
This isn't the Nigeria of before. You must pay that fine! Nigeria should keeps it dignity please, No matter what don't reduce the fine! They can pack out of the country if they can't pay. Already banks are paying fines for negligence, who the hell is MTN? This should send a message to all these big companies, We won't tolerate exploitation. Buhari already made that clear to the Indians.

2 Likes

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Apologises, Seeks Leniency by destinysaid(m): 4:50pm On Nov 04, 2015
Today's my birthday!! I and ojukwu share d same day.... honoured. smiley

But despite all of these several engagements, the commission confirmed various cases of violations of the regulations and sanctioned appropriately.
Consistent with the commission’s mandate and its regulatory process, the commission monitored MNOs compliance with the above regulations and in 2012, observed irregularities in the registration process.

The outcome of the audit showed that while all other MNOs complied substantially with the directive to deactivate improperly registered SIM xards, MTN showed no sign of compliance at all.

angry
the above is why I won't pity mtn, NCC been telling em to deactivate lines since 2012, and MTN was d only network that didn't comply with the new directive ,even after several warnings ..

abeg mtn pay, Nigeria needs fund for 2016 budget. tongue grin

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Investments In Lekki Free Trade Zone Hits N4.55 Trillion / Is Farmcrowdy Truly Legitimate? / GMG Inevitable Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.