Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,909 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:57 PM

A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion (40080 Views)

Court Order Now Prerequisite For Release Of BVN - CBN / My Accounts Has Been Restricted Because Of BVN / Help: my money is Stuck In My GTB Account Because of BVN issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by Intendy: 12:19pm On Nov 06, 2015
Nothing can happen if one have your bvn. its like having a superior bank account number
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by Intendy: 12:19pm On Nov 06, 2015
Nothing can happen if one have your bvn. its like having a superior bank account number
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by Raymonbell(m): 12:20pm On Nov 06, 2015
Simple security should be introduced just like share and sell.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by ifyalways(f): 12:21pm On Nov 06, 2015
dan56:
if I remove the sim and put in another phone nko??
Password your SIM.

Keep your phone safe.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by GoodMuyis(m): 12:21pm On Nov 06, 2015
Codyt:

You have a point

No He didnt have a point, the New bank will Verify your name and photograph before any transaction that requires BVN
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by alaskido(m): 12:22pm On Nov 06, 2015
You are absolutely correct.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by Joel3(m): 12:22pm On Nov 06, 2015
but what if it request for password to replay?
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by henrinity(m): 12:23pm On Nov 06, 2015
Nice observation but the CBN announced recently that The Bvn does not pose a threat to bank accounts security breach when openly tendered to anybody or even FOREX.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by Stemkay: 12:24pm On Nov 06, 2015
its happening already......a lady lost 200k two days ago.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by Nobody: 12:24pm On Nov 06, 2015
password your sim card and phone simple
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by porka: 12:26pm On Nov 06, 2015
[size=13pt]You didn't say how mere having your BVN, by unscrupulous fellows, poses any danger to your funds.

Has it happened to you already?

How did it happen?

Has anyone reported any case of loss of funds from their accounts due to MERE access to their BVN by any criminals?

You have to share more details.

Nevertheless, you have to have adequate trust in the financial system. It is very safe. People behind Nigeria's financial architecture are not as dumb as this post suggests. They are some of the very best we have in our country.

BVN is not a pin code to access your account. It's just your identification for financial transactions.

It's like your driver's license number or your passport number or your National Identification Number.

The layers of security for your online transactions still subsist:

1) For access to your account;
a) Your user name, and
b) Your access password

2) And for transaction authorization after you have gained access;
a) Your secret answer, and
b) Your token generated code (or One Time Code - which is valid for just one session, in case you don't have access to your token.)

These are very robust security measures to prevent unauthorized access to your accounts and funds. As long as these are not compromised, no BVN can be used for transfer.

If there are any issues arising from the use of the BVN, be rest assured that the system is robust enough to address them.[/size]

2 Likes

Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by porka: 12:28pm On Nov 06, 2015
Stemkay:
its happening already......a lady lost 200k two days ago.

[size=13pt]How did it happen?[/size]
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by Youngzedd(m): 12:29pm On Nov 06, 2015
imas:
OP, BVN does not give access to your account, so even if someone has the number, the worst that can happen is that they get your personal and biometric details, but be rest assured your money is safe

It's not about lossing your money, rather using your data to commit crime.

Just like USA SSN.

Don't ask me how.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by Nobody: 12:29pm On Nov 06, 2015
@ MIKELELETA seems like you have no idea what bvn is all about.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by dammytosh: 12:29pm On Nov 06, 2015
MikelEleta:
Has anyone wondered about the dangers of using your phone to get your BVN number. All I see is how excited everybody seems to be. Though its a laudable initiative BUT I feel it would give room for criminals and hackers to easily obtain the BVN number simply by collecting ones phone and using it to send the code thereby obtaining the BVN number. Something urgently needs to be done concerning this OR in the meantime let it be stopped by the NCC. I fear for the repercusions of this. Does anyone concur to what am saying or has a contrary opinion? Please I would like to get contributions. Cc Lalasticlala, Obinoscopy, Ishilove and all other mods please push this to front page let the authorities hear us.

If some one gets your BVN , What will he do with it.

BVN is just like your account number. No risk whatsoever.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by debbie(f): 12:30pm On Nov 06, 2015
Sorry to tell you this..if you cant understand someones point of view without sounding insulting.Keep your comment and mention to yourself.
Whatever i said is solely my personal opinion.
I brought out this BVN issue to add to the numerous problems people face either in banking or mobile communication,and our inadequacy to face squarely any problem that may arise from all these.
Thanks.
WhoBeThisMan:

You sound as if you make sense, but you DONT!
I dont think the bvn gives anyone complete access to your account. Its like saying because someone has ur account number, he can withdraw from it.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by dammytosh: 12:30pm On Nov 06, 2015
porka:
[size=13pt]You didn't say how mere having your BVN, by unscrupulous fellows, poses any danger to your funds.

Has it happened to you already?

How did it happen?

Has anyone reported any case of loss of funds from their accounts due to MERE access to their BVN by any criminals?

You have to share more details.

Nevertheless, you have to have adequate trust in the financial system. It is very safe. People behind Nigeria's financial architecture are not as dumb as this post suggests. They are some of the very best we have in our country.

BVN is not a pin code to access your account. It's just your identification for financial transactions.

It's like your driver's license number or your passport number or your National Identification Number.

The layers of security for your online transactions still subsist:

1) For access to your account;
a) Your user name, and
b) Your access password

2) And for transaction authorization after you have gained access;
a) Your secret answer, and
b) Your token generated code (or One Time Code - which is valid for just one session, in case you are don't have access to your token.)

These are very robust security measures to prevent unauthorized access to your accounts and funds. As long as these are not compromised, no BVN can be used for transfer.

If there are any issues arising from the use of the BVN, be rest assured that the system is robust enough to address them.[/size]
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by vickylala239: 12:31pm On Nov 06, 2015
MikelEleta:
Has anyone wondered about the dangers of using your phone to get your BVN number. All I see is how excited everybody seems to be. Though its a laudable initiative BUT I feel it would give room for criminals and hackers to easily obtain the BVN number simply by collecting ones phone and using it to send the code thereby obtaining the BVN number. Something urgently needs to be done concerning this OR in the meantime let it be stopped by the NCC. I fear for the repercusions of this. Does anyone concur to what am saying or has a contrary opinion? Please I would like to get contributions. Cc Lalasticlala, Obinoscopy, Ishilove and all other mods please push this to front page let the authorities hear us.

I Dnt get ur point at all.

Cuz bvn is easy to get.

For Mi bvn is Lik acct number.

I feel there is no need to hid bvn number.

Cuz if u get bnk to deposit it usually ask to write ur bvn on it teller.what stop anoda person from coping it.

Wat stop someone from getting ur pink deposit slip from d normal bnk boxes.

Also Ppl who wnt to pay in money for u nid bvn number too.

Bvn shuld Nt b an hidden stuff.aside phone text messages bvn cn b gotten from bnk direct while the customer is writing it on his teller.

So Wat is ur point.

From you post u didn't Evn write how bvn is a danger to any bdy.u Jst wake up a feel bvn is a danger tru phone.Wat are the implications.

To Me you make no point
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by melorious4(m): 12:33pm On Nov 06, 2015
Some pple are just talking like illiterate.... How can knowing BVN alone have anything doing with ur account or with d money in ur account. Just explain how it's risky for me if anyone have access to it. Explain pls. Even the most important thing which is my account number doest not give u access to d money in my account. Mtchew
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by Standing5(m): 12:33pm On Nov 06, 2015
Chinaimporter:
[size=18pt]it is very true.....no need for childs play here.......i dont want to lose my 4 billion naira in nigeria like i lost my 90 million dollars in venezuela and interpol seized my 101 million dollars in colombia[/size]
Whoever do you, do you take . . . . . Ehn ehn . . . Touches the ground and raise my hands to the sky.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by Youngzedd(m): 12:34pm On Nov 06, 2015
dammytosh:

If some one gets your BVN , What will he do with it.

BVN is just like your account number. No risk whatsoever.

Welcome to cyber world.

You're really a learner. No offence.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by luckyman1010(m): 12:34pm On Nov 06, 2015
MikelEleta:
my brother don't worry its just like normal account number.

1 Like

Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by skedy1(m): 12:38pm On Nov 06, 2015
*In don Jazzy's voice*

I concur!!
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by abumeinben(m): 12:45pm On Nov 06, 2015
MikelEleta:

The rate at which services are migrated to mobile platform is out of comprehension!
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by raphoo(m): 12:51pm On Nov 06, 2015
Pls i support this motion. NCC should AS a matter of urgency stop MTN and put d code unfunction because MTN is just finding means of paying their FINE at d detriment of their customer.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by xxxtedyxxx(m): 12:53pm On Nov 06, 2015
A con artiste can use ur BVN to gain access to your account with the help of an insider in the bank using a BVN-ACCOUNT nbr query in their database. Simple as ABC. The OP is right. BVN checking through uSSD code on phones should be reviewed. My 2kobo.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by Cyriloha(m): 12:55pm On Nov 06, 2015
saints2:
Quite true... I agree with the OP

hacker hacking hackers if person hack you you hack him back simple habba
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by Nobody: 12:56pm On Nov 06, 2015
ifyalways:
Password your phone.
Simple. It's your duty to keep your phone safe. smiley
seconded
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by musicwriter(m): 1:01pm On Nov 06, 2015
MikelEleta:

I think you don't know what the BVN is meant for. If anything, a criminal having your BVN makes him/her more prone to be caught really fast!.

Can you explain to me how someone could take money from your account, if they know your BVN?.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by Olenga(m): 1:02pm On Nov 06, 2015
Don't join in spreading panic messages. Let's think through this. Yes, the command returns your BVN given that it is issued against the phone number tied to your account. And that's it. To the fraudster, the BVN is as useless as my fart or maybe even more so. It is neither an account number nor a PIN and with it your account details cannot be retrieved, not even by your bank. And in the course of transacting business with your bank or other banks, your BVN is not required. The BVN is just a unique identifier for each individual in the Nigerian financial circle. Typically it comes useful in credit checks and credit line. If applying for a loan for example, the bank wants to run your BVN against a database to be sure you are who you say you are and that you do not have undisclosed indebtedness to other banks. It also displays if one has been blacklisted by one bank for the information of others. It is more like your social security number in the US and until we take it seriously, we cannot do things like running proper credit cards and all. So ignore all that crap about someone issueing a command, grabbing your BVN and clearing out your account. Question: do you know anyone personally who has been affected? Or even anyone who knows anyone personally? I guess not.

2 Likes

Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by Nobody: 1:03pm On Nov 06, 2015
I do not see this as a security risk. In fact i do not think your bvn in anyone elses hands would pose any danger.

What is BVN?
What is its use?

http://www.bvn.com.ng/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Herbert Wigwe's Cryptic Post Hints At ‘End Of Life’ / Man Tries To Commit Suicide In Banking Hall After Fraudsters Withdrew His Money / Ten (10) Ways One Can Remain Poor In Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.