Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,981 members, 7,817,900 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:14 PM

A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion (40088 Views)

Court Order Now Prerequisite For Release Of BVN - CBN / My Accounts Has Been Restricted Because Of BVN / Help: my money is Stuck In My GTB Account Because of BVN issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by Blizzy9ja: 1:06pm On Nov 06, 2015
Then you should also be afraid of sending your account number for business purpose. Don't you think hackers might get it?.... A very foolish post

If u check him account sef na change dey inside

1 Like

Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by Koolking(m): 1:10pm On Nov 06, 2015
This thread is not necessary. Your information is misleading.

BVN is not payment instrument or account number and can never be used to access your account or transfer your money by unauthorised user. BVN is for banks to validate the identity of its customers using Biometric information of the customer - photograph and finger print.

Even if they snatch your phone, there is no way, BVN can be used to transfer money from your account.

3 Likes

Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by UncleJudax(m): 1:12pm On Nov 06, 2015
Exodus2k:
Somebody with Criminal intent can conive with a crook in a financial institution to formulate a code to defraud people with it
Chill da fuckck out broh. grin

Assuming getting hold of people's BVNs is the holy grail in internet/bank scam. Would a scammer with an inside connection (according to you) need your permission to get your BVN?

Think out loud!
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by gfullmoon(m): 1:16pm On Nov 06, 2015
The last time I checked BVN was not my pin or anyone's pin nor my PAN or anyone's PAN(Personal Account Number(the about 18 digits number in front of your ATM)). So this your fear is unfounded and misleading. BVN is about the Identity of the account holder not his account security detail. Thank you.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by Nobody: 1:22pm On Nov 06, 2015
MikelEleta:
Has anyone wondered about the dangers of using your phone to get your BVN number. All I see is how excited everybody seems to be. Though its a laudable initiative BUT I feel it would give room for criminals and hackers to easily obtain the BVN number simply by collecting ones phone and using it to send the code thereby obtaining the BVN number. Something urgently needs to be done concerning this OR in the meantime let it be stopped by the NCC. I fear for the repercusions of this. Does anyone concur to what am saying or has a contrary opinion? Please I would like to get contributions. Cc Lalasticlala, Obinoscopy, Ishilove and all other mods please push this to front page let the authorities hear us.

It is impossible for anyone to use your BVN for anything. Each BVN is attached to a particular identity. Your identity cannot be stolen using your BVN unless there is an insider's collaboration, which I doubt because of the CBN strict monitoring of the BVN records.

Unless you can tell us in clear terms to what good it is for someone to steal another person's BVN, then I will regard this as one of such unfounded scepticisms of Nigerians with every new innovations.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by victorazy(m): 1:24pm On Nov 06, 2015
dan56:
what if u loose your phone

Must it be a fraudster that will pick the phone? Must I loose my phone?
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by riskit33: 1:27pm On Nov 06, 2015
wellmax:

You are wrong! Whatever can be done with your BVN can be done with your account number.

Those at risk are those who use same PIN for all their accounts, if one account is compromised, other accounts will be at risk.

Don't you think you are contradicting yourself in that last paragraph?
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by deluxecad(m): 1:28pm On Nov 06, 2015
MikelEleta:
Has anyone wondered about the dangers of using your phone to get your BVN number. All I see is how excited everybody seems to be. Though its a laudable initiative BUT I feel it would give room for criminals and hackers to easily obtain the BVN number simply by collecting ones phone and using it to send the code thereby obtaining the BVN number. Something urgently needs to be done concerning this OR in the meantime let it be stopped by the NCC. I fear for the repercusions of this. Does anyone concur to what am saying or has a contrary opinion? Please I would like to get contributions. Cc Lalasticlala, Obinoscopy, Ishilove and all other mods please push this to front page let the authorities hear us.

This fear or concern is baseless. You know why?

If you submit your BVN in a bank, the bank keys it into their system and pull up all details about you. What will happen if as Mr. Fani-Kayode you present a BVN that eventually pulls up Mr. Lai Mohammed's details? The securities will grab you, straightway. Yours is yours. You can't impersonate with it. That is actually the issue the BVN was created to solve.

2 Likes

Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by Jabioro: 1:31pm On Nov 06, 2015
To me I see no danger in it,the fraudster dies have your account details, he does not have access to your ATM details and your bank of registration. .calm guy no shaking!
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by Ladipodeal: 1:37pm On Nov 06, 2015
ATM transfer is what I am scared of.... With ones phone and ATM number you can transfer to almost all back.

You don't need ATM pin for the transfer
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by jaykaylegend(m): 1:39pm On Nov 06, 2015
Chinaimporter:
[size=18pt]it is very true.....no need for childs play here.......i dont want to lose my 4 billion naira in nigeria like i lost my 90 million dollars in venezuela and interpol seized my 101 million dollars in colombia[/size]
guy, go and wash your head ooo
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by pomsky: 1:39pm On Nov 06, 2015
MikelEleta:

[size=14pt]......so what's d danger if ur BVN is known by others[/size]? undecided
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by dammytosh: 1:42pm On Nov 06, 2015
Youngzedd:

Welcome to cyber world.

You're really a learner. No offence.

Olodo,

What nonsense cyber world.

Me learner ?

Then u av not started learning.

I repeat some one knowing ur BVN is nothing. Until u prove it, stop spreading ur ignorance.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by delishpot: 1:55pm On Nov 06, 2015
Chinaimporter:
[size=18pt]it is very true.....no need for childs play here.......i dont want to lose my 4 billion naira in nigeria like i lost my 90 million dollars in venezuela and interpol seized my 101 million dollars in colombia[/size]

Bros, dem dey follow you for village grin grin
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by Nobody: 1:57pm On Nov 06, 2015
Chinaimporter:

Taaa getaway you there nwanne...onry common ordinaly 4birrion and 191mirrion dorrars you are clying. What about us who have loss over 12birrion euros to those boys na internet and another 2000 naila to bvn niggas. Biko bvn dikwa safe nwanne...go and drank cold water and lelax ego gi is safe. Biko give me your BVN number ret me just chaeck to know if it is collect or fake.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by abatically(m): 2:06pm On Nov 06, 2015
jomoh:

Here is my question.

Don't you give people your account number?

Am sure most of the people that will join in condemning this innovation have distributed their account number to almost everyone on their contact list.

Having access to my BVN is like having access to my account number simple. It doesn't mean you have access to my account.

This is why the western worlds still regard us as being backward.

Correct. I wonder what the scare is all about. We all have given our acct number out one time or the other, why hackers never empty these accounts. Even mulitibillion naira companies, schools, hospitals give out their Acc numbers for customers to pay into. Why hackers never empty am. I can even post my BVN here for all to see. I want to see the hacker that would hack my acct.

In fact I don vex

22345327629. That's my BVN. Oya fraudsters get to work.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by BuddhaPalm(m): 2:26pm On Nov 06, 2015
debbie:
As far as i know,Nigeria is not yet ripe for all these ADVANCED TECHY STUFF we do.Do we have enough communication security,do we have enough internet security...have people been educated on the importance of all these and how to safeguard their data,info and personal stuffs( what about those who are illiterates,those aged men and women in the villages and towns,the ignorant youth who dosnt understand how all these works).What we want it to do this and that,CBN will wake up one day to issue an order ( which will turn to be a problem to the masses).Internet banking is porous in Nigeria,even face to face banking has its loopholes too.Even NCC has not even helped ordinary mobile phone users,have the ensured our information is safe.

We want to be like the developed world by force.....until then,biko try to educate your parents ,relations,uncles and aunties....and even friends.So that they wont fall prey to the gullible people out there.

We are far from cyber,mobile and telecommunication security....Nigeria doesnt even have a central security center where tech gurus work to ensure that things are safe.....please tell me if we have any?

Anyway my bvn number is deep down my BOX. cheesy

You don't know what you are talking about.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by BuddhaPalm(m): 2:27pm On Nov 06, 2015
imas:
OP, BVN does not give access to your account, so even if someone has the number, the worst that can happen is that they get your personal and biometric details, but be rest assured your money is safe

How?

Except the person works in a bank or something.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by kingreign(m): 2:28pm On Nov 06, 2015
abatically:

Correct. I wonder what the scare is all about. We all have given our acct number out one time or the other, why hackers never empty these accounts. Even mulitibillion naira companies, schools, hospitals give out their Acc numbers for customers to pay into. Why hackers never empty am. I can even post my BVN here for all to see. I want to see the hacker that would hack my acct.

In fact I don vex

22345327629. That's my BVN. Oya fraudsters get to work.

Your royal highness, hope no be your million dollars naira account BVN you drop for the whole universe to see?
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by lumeneng22: 2:28pm On Nov 06, 2015
These bank people are incensitive to things like. They are the ones warning us to keep our bvn secret and safe from other people, they foolishly now throw it open on phone platform. Anybody can just pick your phone probably from where you are charging it and dial *565*0# and bvn no will just pop up. What is real wrong with Nigeria banks? Nothing works in this country.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by Youngzedd(m): 2:32pm On Nov 06, 2015
dammytosh:

Olodo,

What nonsense cyber world.

Me learner ?

Then u av not started learning.

I repeat some one knowing ur BVN is nothing. Until u prove it, stop spreading ur ignorance.

I didn't insult you.

Go figure out what bad guys do with USA SSN.

I beg of you, don't quote me.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by rasheedmalik113: 2:40pm On Nov 06, 2015
okoooooo
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by Purej: 2:53pm On Nov 06, 2015
all these yahoo boyz are smarter and they think out of the box, we can not rule out the possibility of bvn giving them one or 2 information dey need to penetrate.

The central bank has failed in their responsibility to enlighten the general public on the usefulness of bvn and how it works.

Over 60% of Nigerian are illiterate, more than half of the total population, all cbn did was to threaten Nigerian with the deadline,
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by Ayostically: 2:54pm On Nov 06, 2015
thompson1510:

Would getting your BVN show them your card details?
I still dont understand ooooo...

Even if such happens, my bank go dey trouble coz I go shout!!

with ur bvn, don't u think, getting ur acct details n accessing ur fund will b easy for fraudsters.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by Ayostically: 2:54pm On Nov 06, 2015
thompson1510:

Would getting your BVN show them your card details?
I still dont understand ooooo...

Even if such happens, my bank go dey trouble coz I go shout!!

with ur bvn, don't u think, getting ur acct details n accessing ur fund will b easy for fraudsters.
...and forget shouting!!! my friend's acct was 1ce hacked, went to the bank to "shout", after tossing him to n frm for a long time, omo, d guy simply forgot about it.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by Purej: 3:01pm On Nov 06, 2015
WhoBeThisMan:

You sound as if you make sense, but you DONT!
I dont think the bvn gives anyone complete access to your account. Its like saying because someone has ur account number, he can withdraw from it.

please kindly send me your bvn number.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by Nobody: 3:02pm On Nov 06, 2015
BuddhaPalm:

How?

Except the person works in a bank or something.
You can access the information by logging in to the database through the right portal.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by 2scorehigh(m): 3:06pm On Nov 06, 2015
debbie:
As far as i know,Nigeria is not yet ripe for all these ADVANCED TECHY STUFF we do.Do we have enough communication security,do we have enough internet security...have people been educated on the importance of all these and how to safeguard their data,info and personal stuffs( what about those who are illiterates,those aged men and women in the villages and towns,the ignorant youths who dosnt understand how all these works).What we want it to do this and that,CBN will wake up one day to issue an order ( which will turn to be a problem to the masses).

Internet banking is porous in Nigeria,even face to face banking has its loopholes too.Even NCC has not even helped ordinary mobile phone users,have the ensured our information is safe.

We want to be like the developed world by force.....until then,biko try to educate your parents ,relations,uncles and aunties....and even friends.So that they wont fall prey to the gullible people out there.

We are far from cyber,mobile and telecommunication security....Nigeria doesnt even have a central security center where tech gurus work to ensure that things are safe.....please tell me if we have any?

Anyway my bvn number is deep down my BOX. cheesy

What advanced techy stuff are you talking about? I consider this to be a very lame excuse usually given by people who don't want to get informed by doing researches or task their brains as in learning and/or doing new things.

To be frank with you, comments like this really really pïss me off. You may not have realized it but what you are advocating here is the same reason why this country may never move forward.

I mean, how do we move forward and get to that advanced techy stage you're talking about if we don't embrace technology right now? You want us to remain in dark and wait until EVERYONE gets it before we can move forward, abi?

Mba kwa o! Chukwu ajụ! Ahead, ahead! Forward ever; backward never!

Internet banking is porous everywhere in the world but that doesn't mean we should now abandon it entirely. A whole Visa and MasterCard was hacked during the Julian Assange of WikiLeaks trials in 2010!

Again, I don't know if you've ever come accross the Edward Snowden case but internet security is not 100% guaranteed anywhere in the world so no one is really really all that safe but that doesn't mean we should not recognize the fact that technology is offering us awesome opportunities of making us more productive and our lives, simpler and more enjoyable.

Are you telling me you don’t want Nigeria to become advanced like America? Me, I want Nigeria to become technologically advanced like America o, by fire by force!

Yes, we are far from cyber, mobile and telecommunications security but how do we get there if we are always shying away from change? Scaring people and telling them that we are not yet ripe to fully embrace technology will never help this country.

I think what we should be doing as the lucky to be informed ones is to get these people aboard and be educating them on the need for technology plus how to maintain a measurable level of privacy and protecting their information. Let's start encouraging others to be doing researches on their own rather than relying on what they are just told all the time. That's why we have Google.

For your information, technological advancement is a process. In other words, there's no now and there is no then. In fact, there's no ending too when it comes to technology. It is and will always be work in progress.

Debbie... abeg change.

jomoh:

Nobody is having any bad experience. It is simply impossible.

Having my BVN is like having my account number nothing more. It is useless to the person possessing it and could only be useful to the owner if the possessor puts money in the account.

Anyone that is shouting about this needs to get education. Such person is no different from illiterate market women.

Thank you so much for saying this. Don't mind those misinforming the public. Typical Nigerian mentality. They are the typical We must continue to uphold the status quo... even if it is hurting all of us crew! Always wont to scare and discourage others from trying out new things but provide a better or alternative solution, they won't. Fück.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by abatically(m): 3:09pm On Nov 06, 2015
kingreign:

Your royal highness, hope no be your million dollars naira account BVN you drop for the whole universe to see?

Lol. I dey crayze abi. But seriously ain't nothing to be scared about.

1 Like

Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by WhoBeThisMan: 3:19pm On Nov 06, 2015
Purej:

please kindly send me your bvn number.
Ole grin
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by Nobody: 3:24pm On Nov 06, 2015
The best they can do is attach a password or pin to it - it is a good development, incase you forget your BVN number.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by iboboyswag(m): 3:29pm On Nov 06, 2015
The BVN is no more than a security and accountability tool. Think of it as a social security nos, drivers license nos, passport number etc. It's sole purpose is to help in accountability and data integrity. It cannot be used to access the content of your account whether it is known to a third party or not.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Herbert Wigwe's Cryptic Post Hints At ‘End Of Life’ / Man Tries To Commit Suicide In Banking Hall After Fraudsters Withdrew His Money / Ten (10) Ways One Can Remain Poor In Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.