Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,107 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:04 AM

Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria (43426 Views)

Buhari Moves To Install Barrow As Gambian President. / Buhari Moves To Sack SGF Babachir Lawal, Gets Likely Replacements - Naij.com / You Cannot Force Workers Into Farming, Labour Tells Govs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria by gidjah(m): 5:58am On Nov 07, 2015
Welcome development
Re: Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria by Affable200(m): 6:11am On Nov 07, 2015
This is just the beginning
Re: Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria by Trustworthiness: 6:11am On Nov 07, 2015
Mogidi:
This guy is a joke, Buhari is grossly incapable of leading Nigeria.

This was the same failed method Buhari used in the 80s by expelling 700,000 migrants, did it help our economy?
Buhari should be told you have more Nigerians in Ghana and other west African countries than you have aliens here.
Expect tit for tat reactions from our neighbours.

I believe you are ignorant of what is going on in other part of the world like Europe. They give preference to their citizens first and later they denied foreigners employment in their country because their people needs job. They only job that we have are been taken by foreigners.

Imagine, these oil and gas company in the company foreigners to be servicing batteries for their UPS. Can't Nigerians be trained on it and be doing the job?

I believe you did not read the content of what the op posted. You only read the thread title and you are pouring out nonsense as a comment.

The president did not saying he is going to send the foreigners away, but train Nigerians to be able to take those jobs and do it perfectly.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria by donodion(m): 6:14am On Nov 07, 2015
Mogidi:

Buhari tried similar tactics in the 80s by expelling 700,000 Ghanaians, what good did it do to our economy or to the unemployed?

This is grandstanding by an inept and direction-less President. This would only appease our patriotism but nothing else, if it didn't work in the 80s it wouldn't work now.
I don't subscribe to European Technicians posing as Engineers here, but the people Bubu wants to repatriate are West African artisans. We signed ECOWAS protocol on free movement for a reason and those in fear of repatriations are brick and block layers, carpenters, painters, welders, fabricators, plumbers. Those jobs can hardly be described as jobs by Europeans.

What happens when our neighbours retaliate?

Mogidi,

You are an alarmist and need to be constructive in your criticisms.

1. No where in the article did Pres Buhari said foreign workers be deported.Its your own version to create negative e-sensation.

2.Pres Buhari according to the article said moves would be made to prevent influx of skilled workers in construction..meaning government shall provide training opportunities for our own citizens ( and obvious residents,foreigners inclusive, in the country) .

3. Most skilled and experienced hands have and and are still fleeing the country to sell their skills for better paying offers abroad ,than what corrupt employment practises ( God fatherism), scam employment, useless and unfavourable contract job offers where employees ended up be exploited at home....just to mention a few.

4. Nigeria needs an effective and efficient labor law policies that would protect citizens and labour engagement in the country.Yes we need foreign skilled hands just as much as we also have the greater need to improve OUR OWN.

Hope you get it now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria by DonBobes(m): 6:17am On Nov 07, 2015
themilanway:

You are smarter than him yet you still remain docile in where ever you are?
Shut up if you can't proffer solutions.
gbam! God bless u jare.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria by dabossman(m): 6:30am On Nov 07, 2015
charix:
This man is slowly taking Nigeria back to the Stone Age. It's only a matter of time before fire would get looked upon as an advancement in science.

So I want to build a castle above hills when I finally make it in life, complete with medieval weaponry and expert masonry - this whole plan has been killed because we have a president who cannot look beyond his grievance from 32years ago?! I know no Nigerian architect or construction workers who can design exactly what I have in mind. How won't this dictator put that into consideration!

Wow! Not only does your post show your lack of basic comprehension; it also shows you understand very little about basic processes involved in building construction and exposes your inferiority complex.

So, you are going to bring in bricklayers, plumbers, carpenters, tillers, painters etc from Europe to build your medieval castle right? Watching Game of Thrones or Merlin has suddenly made you an expert on medieval architecture I see. Obviously, Nigerians are also too dumb to be trained to build anything beyond a bungalow right?

@topic: I do hope this can be implemented. There is a dearth of skilled artisans in the building construction field right now. To get a good plumber, electrician, or even bricklayer has become difficult. The good ones are getting older but there are no young ones to take their place. People are coming in from Togo and Benin Republic these days to take those roles while our own young people are being turned to okada riders and keke drivers in the name of youth empowerment and poverty alleviation. Technical skills that will be useful to them anywhere in the world is what is needed.
Re: Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria by Sheggy13(m): 6:48am On Nov 07, 2015
Mogidi:

If there were Nigerians capable of doing those jobs, Dangote wouldn't go to China to recruit. Lets train enough Nigerians before asking the immigrants to leave, except we want shoddy work, in which case we can ask them to leave and deploy substandard craftsmen to do jobs meant for qualified artisans.
Did you see any where in that article where Buhari ordered the multinationals to stop bringing in "expatriates" and artisans abroad. Every right thinking govt knows the statement made by the directors that the shortage of competent construction artisans in the country had forced them to bring in foreigners,is an indictment on Nigeria and Nigerians; and the long-term solution to this anomaly is revamping the vocational training institutions which is the crux of this article. Simply because you want to appeal to the emotions of never-do-well idiots that call their country a zoo and get cheap,meaningless likes from the same set of hyper-deluded ethnocentric bigots, you had to put up an unrelated post on a move that should instead be lauded.
Re: Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria by cjudy(m): 7:06am On Nov 07, 2015
another lie. nawa o
Re: Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria by tophee(m): 7:07am On Nov 07, 2015
themilanway:

You are smarter than him yet you still remain docile in where ever you are?

Shut up if you can't proffer solutions.
God bless u Man

1 Like

Re: Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria by Nobody: 7:12am On Nov 07, 2015
Mogidi:

This was the same failed method Buhari used in the 80s by expelling 700,000 migrants, did it help our economy?
Buhari should be told you have more Nigerians in Ghana and other west African countries than you have aliens here.

Most times the kinda jobs you ll get to do ourside your country are dirty jobs or highly skilled jobs. So why should the so called expatriates come here to do jobs that our own people can do?
Re: Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria by favourlove1: 7:13am On Nov 07, 2015
commitcrime:
It is only in nigeria that insanity thrives as norm.

In the US. We ve republicans and democrat
In UK. We ve labour and Conservatives
But in nigeria wat we ve is Chanters and Wailers
It is pathetic

We need to surge forward
stop comparing, nigeria isn't is not n wount be the US or Britain. So quit comparing n live. Are you a chanter or wailer? Where do you fall in? Buhari wount change anything if Nigerians are not willing to change. Fashola removed 2yrs rent in advanve landlords saw it as an avenue to increase rent. They even made comments like...se na govt build house for us? So u see? With that mind set even if he says let's use only nigerians for construction will an average nigerian b honest? We are corrupt by default.
Re: Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria by akilo1: 7:14am On Nov 07, 2015
Mogidi:

one of the wailer.continue what u are paid to do
Re: Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria by Anijay1212(m): 7:24am On Nov 07, 2015
Mogidi:

What has your comment got to do with the topic discussed.And after seeing the number of likes you got with that silly post then i know that this country is in trouble.
Re: Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria by Anijay1212(m): 7:29am On Nov 07, 2015
Sheggy13:

Did you see any where in that article where Buhari ordered the multinationals to stop bringing in "expatriates" and artisans abroad. Every right thinking govt knows the statement made by the directors that the shortage of competent construction artisans in the country had forced them to bring in foreigners,is an indictment on Nigeria and Nigerians; and the long-term solution to this anomaly is revamping the vocational training institutions which is the crux of this article. Simply because you want to appeal to the emotions of never-do-well idiots that call their country a zoo and get cheap,meaningless likes from the same set of hyper-deluded ethnocentric bigots, you had to put up an unrelated post on a move that should instead be lauded.
thanks for putting that ignoramus where he rightly belongs.
Re: Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria by godwin120alex: 7:33am On Nov 07, 2015
If this news is true them I hail PMP but let it not be like I'm looking for saints for mininstrial appointment after which he came with d same pple. I know d party APC and propaganda na twin.
Re: Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria by Nobody: 7:55am On Nov 07, 2015
[quote author=oluseyi33 post=39759548][/quote]

its TRUE o those GHANIANS that were expelled then especially the teachers were "EXCELLENT and OUTSTANDING" miles ahead of PAST and PRESENT day Nigerian LECTURERS and TEACHERS combined!

Inasmuch as i would like to support and stand to directly benefit from this new policy drive by our presido, i think it is imperative that he thinks it tru before implementation. in addition as matter of urgency he has to also overhaul, revitalize, revamp, restructure the entire education sector (both material and personnel) that is in such a bad condition that it is now digging for crude.
he has to find highly qualified, competent and experienced Nigerian professionals at home and in diaspora that will effectively replace these expats!
Re: Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria by Dozzysamuel(m): 7:58am On Nov 07, 2015
Re: Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria by classicsamuel(m): 8:09am On Nov 07, 2015
To be sincere though president is moving at a slow rate but I think he would achieve big, people might not believe him or trust him but I see a better Nigeria where things would be better. It's not a big deal if some group of people choose to dislike the present government, some junkies prefer Jonathan and his cabinet stealing and misconduct.. So I don't see why even argue with them, birds of the same feather flock together
Re: Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 8:09am On Nov 07, 2015
lmm4real:

Ok let me clear your, down here with JB it is either u bring a letter of recommendation from a serving top government official or a serving senator, some one they can seek favour from if the need arises.
I was just a young copper then with no connections. But I later got a job with a government agency where part of my work schedule was to vet and recommend their structural drawings for approval or disapproval.
If you check it would be your brother in JB that is requiring this.not a company policy.don't you think so.
Re: Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria by justmenoni: 8:09am On Nov 07, 2015
Everyone hailing this development are actually dummies, if every countries government are doing this then billions if not millions of Nigerians will be deported back home..

The right thing in my opinion is dat he should implement a favourable minimum wage no matter the job,once that is done then you will see alot of crimes and corruption reducing drastically... Also d FG should implement a law stating that a job should be giving to a foreigner only if there are no Nigerians qualified.

But let the FG also improve our educational system cos both local and international companies in naija knows dat our educational system has lots of corruption in it.... Will u be happy hiring a cultist as ur HR manager,will u be happy hiring a first class olosho as ur receptionist, will u be happy hiring a dullard as ur accountant ( I know a country who hired a dolapo has their leader and the result is affecting her citizens yet some Brain deficiency syndrome are on a forum hailing his rule)...
Re: Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria by Acjohn(m): 8:11am On Nov 07, 2015
onatisi:
read the article before making a comment
I went through the article, may be you need to read mine again, the first line. Is anybody talking of the welfare of the construction workers? They came to the President to make him feel The expatriates everywhere thing is not their fault. so that he would feel sorry for them and may be say we are not doing enough we need to play our part bla bla bla...
I will say it and quote me anywhere you like, it is Nigerians that do the Job. How do you explain expatriates that can barely speak English supervising Nigerians that don't hear what they are saying. So you are thinking reviving the centres for learning would stop them from bringing in expatriates or you think reviving the centres would solve the unemployment problems? then you need to think again.
These people came to do nothing but win his sympathy. Most work they do are being done by their Chinese counterparts at insanely cheap amount that they can comprehend.
I have heard many of the construction workers say, the supervisors that looks more like illiterates or criminals that are running from the laws in their countries only consent to the best work they do with a nod, but they cannot tell them how to do the best. Now ask yourself, how would a sane company bring a supervisor that can't speak English to an English speaking country? Are there no Nigerians at all that can fill these places? May be Nigerians are too cheap to earn such amounts.
They now come forward to invariably tell the President that your people that fry themselves under the sun are incompetent, and people like you just look away and clap for them.
All these artisans that the President talk about don't we have them in Nigeria, Do you think the Chinese that are looking for lands to offload their excess population in their polluted China can do better than Nigerians? I know plenty people that left the construction companies because they feel they would earn better by being on their own. Now they come to claim no competent workers. Tell them to improve their staff welfare and and Salaries, you will see the workers.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria by Acjohn(m): 8:20am On Nov 07, 2015
erico2k2:

Guy U dull,
That moment you enter malaysia and call the people there whites
You wey sharp, go tell rickRoss wey say Africa is a country say he dull or go tell all those wey they say all those from the North or Mid belt are Hausa say they Dull.
That said, you will do you self lots of favour and most importantly save your time by chasing objects not shadows.
as far as am concerned that is what you are doing here.
Re: Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria by rusher14: 8:36am On Nov 07, 2015
charix:

At least least you're competent in one thing; inanity.

Next time learn to comprehend sentences properly before hitting the quote function.
Attention seeker.
Re: Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria by kaokao2015: 9:06am On Nov 07, 2015
This just the beginning. My wish is that it's well implemented to the letter. I PRAY FOR NEW NIGERIA.
Re: Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria by lmm4real: 9:23am On Nov 07, 2015
erico2k2:

If you check it would be your brother in JB that is requiring this.not a company policy.don't you think so.

Come are u in Nija, cos from what u saying I kind of doubt u in Nija. JB is one of the worse thing that has happened to the Nigerian construction industry, am in the field and this is privileged info am giving u. They are officially the most corrupt construction firm in Niger.
Re: Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria by 93RD(m): 9:27am On Nov 07, 2015
Right move Mr President. This has been a major problem since i could remember, how can a construction company/multinational have 80 percent of thier staff coming from outside the country all in the name of expatriates. Most of them are not even qualified yet you see them up there as superior officers when we have more qualified graduates roaming around the companies as casual staff. If this is done then i must say that it will save Nigeria billions and it would create thousands of job for the youths. I just pray the President is serious with this one.
Re: Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria by 93RD(m): 9:28am On Nov 07, 2015
Right move Mr President. This has been a major problem since i could remember, how can a construction company/multinational have 80 percent of thier staff coming from outside the country all in the name of expatriates. Most of them are not even qualified yet you see them up there as superior officers when we have more qualified graduates roaming around the companies as casual staff (visit companies like CCECC and you would understand what i am saying). If this is done then i must say that it will save Nigeria billions and it would create thousands of job for the youths. I just pray the President is serious with this one.
Re: Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria by badman007(m): 9:36am On Nov 07, 2015
Mogidi:

My solution is that the cow herder resign immediately, he should continue with what he's capable of, governing Nigeria is not one of his capabilities.

Who would you say is capable of ruling Nigeria? Please give me just one name, try not to look stupid when you do

1 Like

Re: Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria by Nobody: 10:00am On Nov 07, 2015
Our local contractors. are quacks
Re: Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria by Justinah4real(f): 10:02am On Nov 07, 2015
nnachukz:
I will take him serious when it is done. I'm not interested in all these sweet talks.
. How does this change 1naira to a dollar, tourist President.
Re: Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria by Justinah4real(f): 10:04am On Nov 07, 2015
let him resign and do what he was doing b4, raising cows

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Okorocha Constructing Bridges Without Design - COREN / Lekki Shootings: CNN To Lai Mohammed, 'You Didn't Provide Any Evidence' / President Buhari Appoints Buba Marwa As DG Of NDLEA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.