Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,199 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:25 AM

Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? (20808 Views)

Poll: Should They?

Yes: 76% (60 votes)
No: 23% (18 votes)
This poll has ended

Housewife Caught Having Sex With Lover, Fined N50,000 / Who Wants To Be A Housewife? / Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? by walestar(m): 5:02am On May 15, 2009
If truly women are partner, they don't deserve allowance except the man is willing to give it to them. a man should try to be responsible but not for woman to force it on man. Women are partners and not pet. I have seen where some women make more money than the husband and she also try to be responsible by giving his husband a car and taking care of her children school fees but when both started they not rich until the woman get a good job better than that of his man
Re: Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? by Nobody: 6:47am On May 15, 2009
walestar:

If truly women are partner, they don't deserve allowance except the man is willing to give it to them. a man should try to be responsible but not for woman to force it on man. Women are partners and not pet. I have seen where some women make more money than the husband and she also try to be responsible by giving his husband a car and taking care of her children school fees but when both started they not rich until the woman get a good job better than that of his man

I can't understand half of what you've written. undecided
Re: Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? by FBS: 7:42am On May 15, 2009
No. Allowance for what? shocked What sort of rubbish is that?
For any responsible man/husband it is automatic for him to spend on the family. You really don't have to wait for her to ask you for money.
And if the woman/wife is working, their income should be spent together according to priority.
Re: Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? by amebono13: 8:01am On May 15, 2009
Siena:

I can't understand half of what you've written. undecided

same here grin grin grin

walestar:

sweetheart can you please, retype all these using the online "spell check"
Re: Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? by biina: 8:12am On May 15, 2009
Okija_juju:

Biina

I'm guessing you are a woman.
of what relevance is my gender to the topic at hand

I totally disagree with you. If monkey works, then baboon will decide how to spend the monkeys salary abi!! NO!. The income belongs to the earner, to be spent on the family. The man is the head of the family, if he works, its his money. The woman is the assistant to the head, if she works, its her money.
if monkey decides to marry baboon, then he has himself to blame. He/she is your spouse and there should be no financial separation. The choice of who works (or not) and what  kind of employment they seek should be a joint decision of the couple, taken in the best interest of all parties. Marriage should not be two single people living in the same house.

So if the man owned the car, the house and all the stuff before the woman came in, is it still "our" stuff?? Whoevers name is on the lease, particulars or reciepts owns the stuff. That joint thing is so 1999. Remember that stuffs jointly owned are split right down the middle in case of a divorce.
Stuff jointly owned? undecided As long as they are married, it should be 'our stuff'.
You say which ever name is on the lease or receipt abi? its people like you that would ask your wife to feed and maintain the home, while you focus on the major assets, only to later turn on the poor woman, telling her that she has no entitlements, as her name is not on the lease or receipt.
I would accommodate your position if you would apply the same reasoning when the roles are reversed. Unfortunately it is more likely, you (and several others) will not be so generous if the man was unemployed and the woman held the sole income. Then you will remember that the income is for the home and try to assert that the man is the head of the home (forgetting that the team captain is not necessarily the best player on the team)
If you are worried about sharing your property after a divorce, then sign a pre-nup, or better still stay single.
Re: Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? by Nobody: 8:25am On May 15, 2009
walestar:

its good to give an allowance but woman should not demand for it. I give my gilfriend money but she never demanded because I have chase away the demanding ones, this issue of allowance may lead to divorce if force on the husband when he is broke but woman should work and not be a burden because they are partner and not pet

WHATTTTTTTTTFFF? shocked shocked shocked

Where can I find a Nigerian girl that reasons like Osisi?
Mogbe mi ooo.
Re: Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? by MaiSuya(m): 8:53am On May 15, 2009
walestar:

If truly women are partner, they don't deserve allowance except the man is willing to give it to them. a man should try to be responsible but not for woman to force it on man. Women are partners and not pet.[b] I have seen where some women make more money than the husband and she also try to be responsible by giving his husband a car [/b]and taking care of her children school fees but when both started they not rich until the woman get a good job better than that of his man

So why can't the husband also be responsible by giving is wife allowance?

@topic I don't think the woman should demand for something that is rightfully hers; I suppose the term 'allowance' - which suggests he is doing her a favour, one that he is at liberty to withhold at anytime - has gotten some females here miffed. but whatever name you choose to call it, it behoves any responsible man to give his wife money regularly for the upkeep of the house.
Re: Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? by krama(m): 9:12am On May 15, 2009
1. The husband is obligated to give the wife money for the upkeep of the house
2. He is also required to give her some allowance (say monthly) for her personal use, which she can spend as she deems fit

Both are applicable whether or not the wife is a full-time housewife
Re: Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? by Kechybee(f): 9:22am On May 15, 2009
[size=8pt]Imagine our so-called men talking trash. for ur information, it is ur duty and u must do it. Mind u, ur wife isn't working presdently doesnt in any way at all mean dat she wil remain jobless forever. my mum got married immediately after her graduation 4rm uni. she had her 1st three kids in three years consecutively.  all these while my dad was doing a great job for everyone in d family. She later started her career as a nurse/midwife after child-birth. Today she is a CHIEF NURSING OFFICER in a federal medical centre in this country and it has been wonderful. I believe our men should be men not just by possessing that long snake down there but by living up to their responsibility. I wonder who on earth u expect to take care of ur wife.
Re: Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? by AmAlone: 9:23am On May 15, 2009
I think allowance should be given to women, but not by F O R C E !
Re: Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? by FBS: 9:30am On May 15, 2009
allowance my foot. Why are you folks talking as if the woman is working for him.
She is his wife for God's sake. Why should she demand money for that?
Any responsible husband will freely give his wife money and the wife can do same for her husband.
Re: Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? by Iranoladun(f): 9:33am On May 15, 2009
krama:

1. The husband is obligated to give the wife money for the upkeep of the house
2. He is also required to give her some allowance (say monthly) for her personal use, which she can spend as she deems fit

Both are applicable whether or not the wife is a full-time housewife

No sir, I do not agree with your last sentence.  If  both wife & husband are working then the husband is not obligated to give the wife money.  They only need to agree on what percentage of their income they will spend on housekeeping, personal stuff, savings, school fees etc.  The money for personal stuff could come from the wife income or could be a joint contribution.

@Binna and @Osisi I completely agree with your post.  Anybody (man or woman) who choose not to work and is not an invalid may loose his/her right of financial independent when the chips are down (and believe me no condition is permanent).  Marriage is a partnership and  not master servant relationship; the moment one partner is not earning any income/contributing to the housekeeping purse (no matter how small) then the equilibrium will tilt towards the other partner who is shouldering all the financial responsibility (this is the reality).  

I Will advise any woman to find a means of earning an income even if she has to work at/from home as a form of insurance.  I have seen a lot of women being brought down to the lowest level of the financial strata simply because they are married and agree with 'oga' to be a full time housewife or get left behind (divorce or abandon) after years of being full time housewife. There are also cases of divorce or near-miss simply because the wife is not working and hubby feels she's too demanding financial wise.

A friend of mine lost her husband last year (sudden death) and now she has to fend for herself.  When the husband was alive he mounted so much pressure on my friend not to work but to be a full time housewife, we all rally round her not to succumb but to get a job that will not be too demanding ( she is a chartered accountant).  You can imagine what would have happen now that the breadwinner is no more and she has to take care of their kids and all other expenses single-handed.
Re: Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? by tjcombo(m): 9:44am On May 15, 2009
i think dis is a very ridiculous topic to discuss, obviously a lot of things r left undefined because i don't understand why u call her a "housewife" and still not expect to give her allowance. if a "housewife" has to demand an allowance, then she's married to a very irresponsible man; where is she going to get money?  it doesn't have to come to the point of demand because a woman that gives up her career to become a housewife must have thought about it and I'm sure that there must have been a consensus between both parties,

maybe u should edit the topic. wink
Re: Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? by Nobody: 10:06am On May 15, 2009
Iranoladun:

No sir, I do not agree with your last sentence.  If  both wife & husband are working then the husband is not obligated to give the wife money.  They only need to agree on what percentage of their income they will spend on housekeeping, personal stuff, savings, school fees etc.  The money for personal stuff could come from the wife income or could be a joint contribution.

@Binna and @Osisi I completely agree with your post.  Anybody (man or woman) who choose not to work and is not an invalid may loose his/her right of financial independent when the chips are down (and believe me no condition is permanent).  Marriage is a partnership and  not master servant relationship; the moment one partner is not earning any income/contributing to the housekeeping purse (no matter how small) then the equilibrium will tilt towards the other partner who is shouldering all the financial responsibility (this is the reality).  

I Will advise any woman to find a means of earning an income even if she has to work at/from home as a form of insurance.  I have seen a lot of women being brought down to the lowest level of the financial strata simply because they are married and agree with 'oga' to be a full time housewife or get left behind (divorce or abandon) after years of being full time housewife. There are also cases of divorce or near-miss simply because the wife is not working and hubby feels she's too demanding financial wise.

A friend of mine lost her husband last year (sudden death) and now she has to fend for herself.  When the husband was alive he mounted so much pressure on my friend not to work but to be a full time housewife, we all rally round her not to succumb but to get a job that will not be too demanding ( she is a chartered accountant).  You can imagine what would have happen now that the breadwinner is no more and she has to take care of their kids and all other expenses single-handed.

What a brilliant contribution.
Re: Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? by ohhippie(m): 10:29am On May 15, 2009
you are given house keeping allowance and you are not ok,ekakids,make sure you dont start to request for allowance before you perform your bedmatic roles.
Re: Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? by tboss2(m): 11:10am On May 15, 2009
A husband shouldn't wait for wife to demand allowance. The ideal thing is that it should be discussed and agreed. Amount should be determined by what level of home running expenses the woman handles, her own earning and that of the husband should be considered before allowance is agreed. I am married, I earn income, my wife earns income also, it is open. The are major expenses are my responsibilities, while the cost of day to day running of the home plus her upkeep forms the basis for the allowance i give her.
Re: Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? by Roughlen(m): 11:14am On May 15, 2009
You are a lucky man, she should have chopped your clothes and made them into disposable sanitary towels. You deserve every name she calls you though I don't know what 'akagum' means.

@ Ilelobola
'akagum' is used to refer to someone who is considered very stingy and finds it very difficult to release money.

In my post i said she works and earns enough to take care of all her needs and she doesn't contribute a dime of her income to the upkeep of the home. So what could she be doing with her money that she'll find it difficult to buy disposable sanitary towels. And will you consider it easier for her to chop my clothes and make disposable sanitary towels of them than to ask me for money to buy them?
Re: Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? by Ilelobola: 11:17am On May 15, 2009
$osisi
Staying at home to raise your children like someone said before is PRICELESS. It’s not about being educated or doing a menial or professional job.

Perhaps not everyone has access to these insurances but if a man dies and it means the family cannot survive; then arguably he hasn’t laid a strong enough foundation for the family. Obviously doesn’t apply in all cases. This is about married couples not divorcees. A divorced friend of mine still gets all her income from her ex-husband including a fully paid up house and no it was not because the courts asked him to do it. They were married, lived in and divorced in Nigeria before she moved to the UK with their 2 young children. A man that wants to be responsible will be especially where children are involved.

I am married too and working. No, I don’t find it demeaning, I have taken a year off work in the past and did not find it belittled me in anyway; he is my husband not my colleague. Like I said before, I used to think it ridiculous but I’ve long stopped being an independent woman. I have full access to his bank account so I don’t have to ask before I get it. He takes pride in advising his friends to do the same as long as they know their wives are wise. In my opinion it strengthens the union. He’s read some posts on here and struggles to understand why a man wouldn’t want to do anything and everything for his wife if he could.

My prayer is God blesses our men (and women of course) with all that they need to bear their responsibilities without fear.
Re: Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? by Ilelobola: 11:23am On May 15, 2009
Roughlen

If you are really ‘akagum’ might be easier to cut your clothes up than ask. I did not mean literally of course . . . You obviously do not give her enough to cover the upkeep of the home otherwise she wouldn’t have to ask you either as she would have planned the expenditure so there is enough to buy the towels.
Re: Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? by oluwdashmi(f): 11:31am On May 15, 2009
@poster
Nothing bad with allowances as long as the couple have agreed that the woman should sit at home for the sake of the family. House wifing is a full time job/employment on its own.

Although I will never be one lipsrsealed
Re: Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? by JJYOU: 11:40am On May 15, 2009
Ilelobola:

$osisi
Staying at home to raise your children like someone said before is PRICELESS. It’s not about being educated or doing a menial or professional job.

Perhaps not everyone has access to these insurances but if a man dies and it means the family cannot survive; then arguably he hasn’t laid a strong enough foundation for the family. Obviously doesn’t apply in all cases. This is about married couples not divorcees. A divorced friend of mine still gets all her income from her ex-husband including a fully paid up house and no it was not because the courts asked him to do it. They were married, lived in and divorced in Nigeria before she moved to the UK with their 2 young children. A man that wants to be responsible will be especially where children are involved.

I am married too and working. No, I don’t find it demeaning, I have taken a year off work in the past and did not find it belittled me in anyway; he is my husband not my colleague. Like I said before, I used to think it ridiculous but I’ve long stopped being an independent woman. I have full access to his bank account so I don’t have to ask before I get it. He takes pride in advising his friends to do the same as long as they know their wives are wise. In my opinion it strengthens the union. He’s read some posts on here and struggles to understand why a man wouldn’t want to do anything and everything for his wife if he could.

My prayer is God blesses our men (and women of course) with all that they need to bear their responsibilities without fear.  

many thanks. God bless. you spoke for me. some people have no business being married.  money is one major wahala in relationships.  the idea of some woman going to ask for hair and sanitary pad money as and when due is border line pathetic.

i am very sure if these guys exhibited this stinginess they woukld have been  ex boy friends instead of husband.

i like the idea of women working that should not be an excuse for people not taking up their responsibility.
Am Alone:

I think allowance should be given to women, but not by F O R C E !

seconded
Ilelobola:

Roughlen

If you are really ‘akagum’ might be easier to cut your clothes up than ask. I did not mean literally of course . . . You obviously do not give her enough to cover the upkeep of the home otherwise she wouldn’t have to ask you either as she would have planned the expenditure so there is enough to buy the towels.
what is akagum?
Re: Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? by bsanya(f): 12:42pm On May 15, 2009
every responsible man will give his wife money at least 4 the upkeeping of the family. but u need to ask cos not all men are responsible and he may not know that is part of his right.
Re: Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? by Roughlen(m): 1:08pm On May 15, 2009
Ilelobola:

Roughlen

Why do you keep ignoring the part where i said she works and doesn't contribute to the upkeep of the home.

Let me make this a little bit clearer to you. She works as a contract staff with one of the Banks and earns about 45k monthly which is about what i earn too.

Like i said earlier, she keeps all that money to herself and i provide all that the family needs: from diapers to rent. Even when she has cause to buy anything that has to do with the upkeep of the home in my absence, she ask for reimbursement and i'll give her.

I don't have any problem with her keeping her money to herself cos i consider it my responsibility to provide for my family, however, my grouse is with having to still give her an allowance for her personal needs.
Re: Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? by JJYOU: 1:13pm On May 15, 2009
Roughlen:

Why do you keep ignoring the part where i said she works and doesn't contribute to the upkeep of the home.

Let me make this a little bit clearer to you. She works as a contract staff with one of the Banks and earns about 45k monthly which is about what i earn too.

Like i said earlier, she keeps all that money to herself and i provide all that the family needs: from diapers to rent. Even when she has cause to buy anything that has to do with the upkeep of the home in my absence, she ask for reimbursement and i'll give her.

I don't have any problem with her keeping her money to herself cos i consider it my responsibility to provide for my family, however, my grouse is with having to still give her an allowance for her personal needs.

your case is different. what does she do with her 45k if she is still asking for money? some women give others a bad name
Re: Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? by Ilelobola: 1:20pm On May 15, 2009
Roughlen

Perhaps because I work and earn just as much as my husband does and he still does these things for me?

I'm glad you said " . . . i consider it my responsibility to provide for my family, . . . ". Question is, do you consider her to be your family or not? If she is family, then provide for her too otherwise I no sabi. Do you have any working relatives that still hang on to you like a leech and you end up giving them money every now and then? Most Nigerians do and if it applies to you too, should you not do the same for your wife even without her having to ask?

I believe that a man with a wife responsible with money will appreciate her even more should he ever be in a position where he is out of work etc. She might be putting her income away for a rainy day but you'd know her better.
Re: Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? by maxtop(m): 1:28pm On May 15, 2009
yes now since she has nothing doing except taking care of the family, i think she needs to be paid for that, grin
Re: Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? by Luvpolis(m): 1:41pm On May 15, 2009
Plz posta its fiar 2 giv her alowance o, b/cos if u dont , u mite luz ur marige o.

Tank GOD dat she evin ask 4 it o, som wil not ask but go and luk 4 it elswere o.

Plz do giv her my broda, cos its her rite.
Re: Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? by amf(f): 2:01pm On May 15, 2009
wether the wife is working or not it is her husband's responsibility to give certain % of his salary to her for the home keeping
Re: Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? by jumie(f): 2:41pm On May 15, 2009
@ Ekakids,

I strongly believe its the duty of any/every responsible man to take care of his wife. Come to think of it, how many men truly understand that keeping-house is actually serious work. It is not easy to be a housewife, cos she has to cook, wash, clean, take care of the kids(which is not eeeeaaaassssy), among other duties. it takes only a God-fearing and responsible man to be able to appreciate the wife and compensate her with personal allowance every month.

However, in as much as I understand, I'll like to discourage any woman from being a housewife. Try as much as possible to be involved in some kind of business, no matter how small. Have an income source that u can rely on in case of any eventualities. Staying without a meaningful income source is a defenseless state. In front of your inlaws(no matter how nice) they seem, you'll earn more respect as a working woman. So pleaseeeeee, try to get urself involved in something productive or at best, get a salaried job.

All da best!!!!
Re: Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? by amebono13: 3:02pm On May 15, 2009
na waoooooo ,all i know is that my father always dashed my mum pocket money even though she was working

every reasonable man should do that, atleast no matter how little even if it is 50 naira, the fact that the woman has a good job and earns fantastic cash, still does not mean she shouldnt be pampered by her man alittle

haba undecided
Re: Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? by Roughlen(m): 3:26pm On May 15, 2009
@ Ileloba

If she is my responsility and i have to provide for her personal needs then what is she doing with her salary? If she is saving it for the rainy days, shouldn't i, as her husband, know of it? If that is the case, i'll simply advise her to use part of it to meet her personal needs.

The amazing part of it all is that before the middle of the month she's already broke and asking me for money for one thing or the other esp. when she's really pressed and has no where else to turn to. Meanwhile, when she's comfortable or think she can manage she'd say i should know when she has needs and not wait for her to ask.

You see, after taking care of the domestic needs, maintaining my car, paying the bills etc i have little or nothing else left for myself not to talk of paying an allowance. I survive the rest of the month on allowances i get here and there in the course of my work which i cannot guarrantee.

This is why i denied her the allowance and asked her to table her problems as they arise. I don't think that is too much to ask of my wife. All i expected from her is understanding and not name calling.

Of course, i have siblings in school that i send money to ocassionally but only when they ask and i have the money at hand.
Re: Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? by biina: 6:11pm On May 15, 2009
@Roughlen
This is mildly off OT, but it seems that your wife is not financially prudent. I would advise you help her get a grip on her finances , as that IMO, is what a responsible husband would do.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? / Girl Set Ablaze By Nurse Dies / Any Man That Can't Provide The Basic Need For His Family Is Highly Irresponsible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.