Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,486 members, 7,823,131 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:06 AM

Why Do People Call Their Pastors Daddy? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do People Call Their Pastors Daddy? (6591 Views)

see what d bible says about Calling Of Pastors "Daddy" A Must Read / 10 Ways Youths React When Their Pastors Say They Should Not Engage in Sex / How Nigerian Christians Make Their Pastors To Sin. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Call Their Pastors Daddy? by ayocity1: 3:39pm On May 13, 2009
Read original, post comments and replies here:
http://ngmix.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=2
Re: Why Do People Call Their Pastors Daddy? by KunleOshob(m): 3:46pm On May 13, 2009
It is clearly very unscriptural and against the teachings of christ, but then again how much of the teachings of christ do these penterascal churches follow?

Matthew 23:9:
9And do not call anyone [in the church] on earth father, for you have one Father, Who is in heaven.
Re: Why Do People Call Their Pastors Daddy? by Nobody: 5:08pm On May 13, 2009
What about one's blood father? Is there provision for that?
Re: Why Do People Call Their Pastors Daddy? by tpiah: 5:48pm On May 13, 2009
I have no idea.

Is it a cultural thing?
Re: Why Do People Call Their Pastors Daddy? by timmy7(m): 6:05pm On May 13, 2009
Simple. The pastors are the spiritual daddys
Re: Why Do People Call Their Pastors Daddy? by tpiah: 9:26pm On May 13, 2009
timmy7:

Simple. The pastors are the spiritual daddys

what's a spiritual daddy?
Re: Why Do People Call Their Pastors Daddy? by timmy7(m): 10:47am On May 14, 2009
A daddy that caters for d spiritual needs of their children. cheesy
Re: Why Do People Call Their Pastors Daddy? by solosimple(m): 11:36am On May 14, 2009
MAYBE NOT DADDY
MAYBE PAPA
ALL RUBBISH!

9And do not call anyone [in the church] on earth father, for you have one Father, Who is in heaven.

THE SCRIPTURE HAS THE FINAL SAY.
Re: Why Do People Call Their Pastors Daddy? by KunleOshob(m): 11:38am On May 14, 2009
fellis:

KunleOshob:

9And do not call anyone[b] [in the church] on earth father,[/b] for you have one Father, Who is in heaven.

The scripture i quoted was talking about calling someone in church father(i.e pastor, GO, e.t.c) and NOt one's blood father.
Re: Why Do People Call Their Pastors Daddy? by Nobody: 1:07pm On May 14, 2009
I didn't see 'in the church' written in the verse.
But no matter.
Peace and happiness.
Re: Why Do People Call Their Pastors Daddy? by Image123(m): 1:52pm On May 14, 2009
Kunle, I didn't know that you now have your own version of the Bible o. Abi you be eye-witness among the multitude that was addressed yonder day?
Re: Why Do People Call Their Pastors Daddy? by naijacutee(f): 2:19pm On May 14, 2009
I guess the intention is to show respect? What's wrong with showing someone respect? Please let us not forget that in Christianity, "actions" are not the full story - intentions behind the said actions are what God judges.
Re: Why Do People Call Their Pastors Daddy? by oluwdashmi(f): 3:03pm On May 14, 2009
@ topic
It is just to give respect although it is not compulsory cos I don't do so to every pastor.

fellis:

You spoke my mind

KunleOshob:

The scripture i quoted was talking about calling someone in church father(i.e pastor, GO, e.t.c) and NOt one's blood father.
Kunle, if this is the way you want to translate it like you always do by turning the bible upside down, I bet you are wrong cos the bible did not say in the church. Church is different from Earth, for earth comprises of everything in it.

And verse 10 of that scripture says "Neither be ye called Masters: for one is your Master, even Christ"

So how do you translate this? That you will not call your boss by boss or Master by Master or that you will not be called Boss by the people you superceed and supervise at work? Be careful with your translations and I have always told you that your purpose of studying the bible is to criticize and mislead as a top agent.
Re: Why Do People Call Their Pastors Daddy? by KunleOshob(m): 5:13pm On May 14, 2009
Image123:

Kunle, I didn't know that you now have your own version of the Bible o. Abi you be eye-witness among the multitude that was addressed yonder day?
I quoted from the ampilfied version of the bible go and look it up. better still read up the whole passage for better understanding and you would understand that Jesus was refering to the religious leaders of that time[the pharisees] who are no different from our religious leaders[pastors] today

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Call Their Pastors Daddy? by Image123(m): 5:31pm On May 14, 2009
Amplified Kunle. So you do read the amplified Bible! I suggest that you henceforth use the amplified Bible anytime you read Hebrews 7, for an amplified understanding.
N.B: I've not said anything for or against your interpretation of the text.
Re: Why Do People Call Their Pastors Daddy? by PastorAIO: 7:57pm On May 14, 2009
My understanding of Matthew 23-9 is as follows:

First the verse beginning with the word 'and' which is a conjunctive in english grammar. A conjunctive means that the following is to be read in conjunction with the preceding. In Greek the conjunctive is 'Kai' which is interpreted as 'and'.

Even the previous verse also has a conjunctive word 'also'. '. . . also do not be called Rabbi'

So what must it be read in conjunction with? The previous verses that precede it. abi? What are these verses addressing? People who like ostentatious titles and ranks to puff up their heads.

And all their works they do to be seen of me[/b]n: for they make broad their phylacteries and enlarge the borders of their garments,
and love the chief place in feasts and the first seats in the synagogues,

[b]and salutations in the market-places, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi.

So When Jesus says do not be called Father, teacher or master, he is basically saying do not be like those people who like to be called with titles.
I recall one prominent pastor (I won't mention names) that I once called by his first name, after all he was a family friend long before he became a pastor. He just ignored me. Not realising anything wrong I thought maybe he hadn't heard me, I called again. Then one of his assistant pastors tapped my shoulder and whispered 'pastor' in my ear.
I believe it is exactly this type of incident that Jesus was referring to.
Re: Why Do People Call Their Pastors Daddy? by WarfyBoy(m): 8:30pm On May 14, 2009
simple

if u c person wey call pastor daddy, waka go meet am ask y im kall am daddy, very simple
Re: Why Do People Call Their Pastors Daddy? by bawomolo(m): 2:01am On May 15, 2009
because those pastors are pimping them.
Re: Why Do People Call Their Pastors Daddy? by timmy7(m): 7:38am On May 15, 2009
If ur pikin call u daddy 4 church on a sunday abeg dish am slap and explain to am say Jesus talk say make dem no call anybody father 4 church simple! grin
Re: Why Do People Call Their Pastors Daddy? by timmy7(m): 7:38am On May 15, 2009
If ur pikin call u daddy 4 church on a sunday abeg dish am slap and explain to am say Jesus talk say make dem no call anybody father 4 church simple! grin
Re: Why Do People Call Their Pastors Daddy? by PurestBoy(m): 11:18am On May 15, 2009
This is a senseless thread. No one is being forced to call a pastor daddy, this is a personal issue
Re: Why Do People Call Their Pastors Daddy? by KunleOshob(m): 12:18pm On May 15, 2009
PurestBoy:

This is a senseless thread. No one is being forced to call a pastor daddy, this is a personal issue
Well the bible says it is wrong period!
Re: Why Do People Call Their Pastors Daddy? by solosimple(m): 12:29pm On May 15, 2009

should we hold personal opinions contrary to God's word? This must be another falsehood!
Re: Why Do People Call Their Pastors Daddy? by oluwdashmi(f): 1:31pm On May 15, 2009
KunleOshob:

Well the bible says it is wrong period!
Which bible said it is wrong? Won't you read the reply I posted to you above KUNLE?
Re: Why Do People Call Their Pastors Daddy? by duduspace(m): 1:37pm On May 15, 2009
Maybe because most Nigerian christians are confused and don't even know who their parents are? talk of the height of delusion. I don't hear many american christians calling T.D. Jakes and his ilk Daddy.
Re: Why Do People Call Their Pastors Daddy? by Nobody: 1:42pm On May 15, 2009
Matthew 23:8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.
9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.
10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.
11 But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant

Kunleoshob is right . . . i hear a lot of people claiming that Christ never mentioned the phrase "in the church" here. But you seem to have overlooked the latter part of verse 8 - [size=14pt]all ye are brethren[/size]

That obviously signifies the disciples knew Christ was talking about members of the body of Christ not generalizing. Your unbeliever boss at work is not your "brethren" . . . so Matthew 23:8-11 does not apply to him.
Re: Why Do People Call Their Pastors Daddy? by Nobody: 1:46pm On May 15, 2009
oluwdashmi:

@ topic
It is just to give respect although it is not compulsory cos I don't do so to every pastor.

It is PRECISELY for this reason that this is also important - Matthew 23:6 And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues, 7 And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi

why blame the pharisees? Wasnt it out of "respect" too?
Re: Why Do People Call Their Pastors Daddy? by KunleOshob(m): 1:50pm On May 15, 2009
oluwdashmi:

Which bible said it is wrong? Won't you read the reply I posted to you above KUNLE?

I don't know how you read your own bible but the bible says it is wrong wether you like it or not. Go and the the amplified version of the verse i quoted.
Re: Why Do People Call Their Pastors Daddy? by richjohn1(m): 2:02pm On May 15, 2009
Daddy GO ko, papa COME ni, rubbish! continue fooling yourselves ye followers of GOs and GSs, continue to contribute to their dreams and blindly defend them when they are criticized under the pretext of "touch not","man of gawd" 'god's anointed' etc. Let somebody shout Halleluyah, the lawd is good grin pawpaw brains
Re: Why Do People Call Their Pastors Daddy? by solosimple(m): 2:58pm On May 15, 2009
Matthew 23:8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.
9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.
10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.
11 But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.

Kunleoshob is right . . . i hear a lot of people claiming that Christ never mentioned the phrase "in the church" here. But you seem to have overlooked the latter part of verse 8 - all ye are brethren

That obviously signifies the disciples knew Christ was talking about members of the body of Christ not generalizing. Your unbeliever boss at work is not your "brethren" . . . so Matthew 23:8-11 does not apply to him.

Very Clear. Need not any argument except by the hypocrites!
Re: Why Do People Call Their Pastors Daddy? by timmy7(m): 9:58am On May 16, 2009
I dont know how these pple interprete the bible,even a look at d title of Matt 23 in kjv shows 'Jesus rebukes d scribes and pharisees' and the inference from the entire passage is in vs 12-''and whoever exalts himself will be humbled and he who humbles himself will be exhalted'' so vs 8-9 in essence is talking abt pple who crave so much for titles, ppl like 'venerable most apostle(Dr.) Lagbaja'. If we are to take the above verse the way these guys suggested then it is a sin 4 me to call my oldman father or daddy because-vs 9 says -do not call ANYONE ON EARTH YOUR FATHER, -
Re: Why Do People Call Their Pastors Daddy? by Recognise: 6:05pm On May 16, 2009
KunleOshob:

It is clearly very unscriptural and against the teachings of christ, but then again how much of the teachings of christ do these penterascal churches follow?

Tpiah:

I have no idea.

Is it a cultural thing?

Warfy Boy:

Simple

If u c person wey call pastor daddy, waka go meet am ask y im kall am daddy, very simple

Rich_john:

Daddy GO ko, papa COME ni, rubbish!

Continue fooling yourselves ye followers of GOs and GSs, continue to contribute to their dreams and blindly defend them when they are criticized under the pretext of "touch not","man of gawd" 'god's anointed' etc.

Let somebody shout Halleluyah, the lawd is good grin pawpaw brains

[size=16pt]@^s & OP[/size]

Add the RCC to the "Penterascal" church mix . . .

partly because of the culture or pass down from this: 

[center][img width=150 height=180]http:///o5ns4k[/img]
Benedict XVI
aka the Pope
[/center]
The Pope (from Latin: "papa" or "father" from Greek πάπας, pápas, "papa", Papa in Italian) is the Bishop of Rome and as such is the leader of the worldwide Catholic Church (that is, all Latin Rite and Eastern Rite churches which are in full communion with the Roman Pontiff). The Pope is also head of state of Vatican City. The current (265th) pope is Pope Benedict XVI, who was elected April 19, 2005 in papal conclave.

Refer to: Pope; From Wikipedia

(1) (2) (Reply)

Will Nairaland Leave Pastor Chris Oyakhilome Alone? / Science Has Found Evidence Of God. / Christian Genius Ravi Zacharias Humiliates Belligerent Atheist Lunatic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.