Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,152 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

How I Was Scammed At Lagos Airport - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How I Was Scammed At Lagos Airport (2658 Views)

Dogs Check Luggage At Lagos Airport (Video) / How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport / Suicidal Nigerian Man Who Was Scammed In Dubai Tells His Pathetic Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Was Scammed At Lagos Airport by bugativeron: 5:04pm On Nov 07, 2015
I really didn't want to post this experience that I had some days back on my trip to Lagos from Abuja on the 30th of Oct, 2015. But with my last conversation with the scammer I thought I should in order to free myself from the bottled up annoyance I feel at such a despicable fellow.

I work in Abuja away from my family in Lagos, thus the need to always travel intermittently to see my children and wife. On this particular occasion being end of the month i was very lean on cash since I was yet to be paid and traveling to see my family after 2 weeks of being away will cost me much including to and fro money for flight ticket. So i booked an Aero flight for 4.30 p.m. but a day to the flight I got sms that it has been shifted till 8pm. Well no qualms, the most important for me at that point was to get to Lagos and see my family, couple with the fact that I had promise my children to take them out for pizza treat that night so i was really looking forward to the trip.

On getting to the airport, the flight was delayed for another 1 hour due to bad weather condition. At nine pm we heard the announcement to proceed for boarding. While seated in the plane with the door locked ready to fly we observed that the light and the air conditioners keep tripping off and we became scarred. Suddenly a young man stood up and started screaming that he does not want to stay inside anymore that he was uncomfortable but the pilot wouldn't open the door and the inside of the plane became chaotic. Finally reasoning prevail the door was opened and many of the passengers ran out of the plane that they wont fly with it anymore that night. After an address by the pilot on the tarmac guarantying our safety some still insist on not flying that night any more. Even me I was in dilemma over what to do. However, the pilot explanation of what happened sound very logical and those who are familiar with flying corroborate it. Nevertheless, it takes a strong minded fellow to close his or her eyes to take the decision to fly even if the pilot sounded logical.

However, where I was standing a fellow that missed flying in the ill fated Dana flight by following his instinct and some spiritual philosophy came near me and was telling me the story of how he missed dana flight and how he had a dream that he was in a plan that collided in the air with another one on monday night, because of that he will not be flying that night but take the offer from the airline to fly the next morning 7am, I made up my mind to fly that night because i dont want to be in another plane with a dreamer of air collision (lol) but that help me to make up my mind, after praying strongly for direction to take.

Finally, the plane took of at exactly 11.15 p.m and we landed by 12.15 am, to a thunderous clapping by the passengers for the pilot. We disembarked and by the time we were done with our luggage and clearing it was 12.30 a.m. My wife was supposed to pick me up at the airport, but since it was late I had to cancel that arrangement with the plan to pick a taxi at the airport. However, I didn't have enough cash with me so I needed to do atm withdrawal, so i got 10k with the plan to use 3k for taxi since i don't live too far from the airport and in my mind 7k for Saturday morning runs for little things like fueling generator for the house, going to car wash in the morning to clean my car since i had not being around for 2 weeks and other petty things.

now to my scammer, I was waiting for a taxi outside MMA2 and by now it was almost 1 a.m, when this man that was well dressed in a native with a cap to match walked up to me in the presence of some other passengers and narrated a story of nobody to pick him up and it is late so the fellow to pick him up couldn't come again and he does not have atm card, i should give him 5k for a taxi, he will make arrangement to send it to me first thing in the morning. I felt embarrassed for him because he was well dressed, and for the fact that I had the same story except that i had atm card to use, that he also narrated his story in the presence of others. He looked like someone I saw in the plane, but now that i think about it i am no longer sure of that. So I gave him 5k with the agreement that he should send back my money to me Saturday morning. Now to me, I have a policy, I don't lend out money that I can't forgo. So in my mind 5k is small but it is still my money. There are times that i have met people who missed their flights at the airport without any cash that i have paid for their tickets and base on their stories and appearance you can tell genuine stories, the few times I did I got my money back with a thank you.

But this particular case not a call to say thank you or even make arrangement to return my money. So I placed a call to him Saturday afternoon he never picked, later in the evening, he picked my call and said sorry my dear i have been busy in meeting all day i couldn't pick or return your call, but don't worry let us leave everything till Monday, I will send you your money, before i could say anything i heard a click, I checked my phone he had cut off. I shrugged it off, but i was wondering, i am sure this guy can't be older than me, but i find it offensive that he was using endearing words like " my dear on me like a young friend soliciting for help from him.

Monday came in, I had forgotten about it, by mid day I remembered, I placed a call to him and he wouldn't pick. Later he picked and said to me, you know what my dear, i will send someone to your office in Abuja to give the money to you. So i said to him, you don't need to send any body to my office all you just need to do is ask for my account number and credit it with the amount. But he said not to worry, when he is ready he will call me, and I asked him, so when you knew you didn't have the money or intention to pay back why did you lie to me that you will return it Saturday morning with so much confidence and braggadocio? So i told him I wont call him over the money any more. I cut off. He never bothered to call me again then I also let go.

Fast forward to Wednesday afternoon in Abuja, I couldn't do any online transaction on my account, couldn't make payment for things or anything and I was so furious with my bank because I later learnt it was due to BVN that i had done since last year, that i had even given them the number since January this year, I was out of cash so I went to the bank and wanted to use counter check since i didn't have my check book and atm will not work, so they insist that I can't make any withdrawal except my BVN is mapped to my account even when it was not my fault.

Well i returned to my office in Frustration and cursing the bank, however, they promised to fix it that day. Later in the day I placed a call to the bank and got a confirmation that BVN restriction has been lifted off my account but I should get to the nearest atm to confirm. So I left the office, to ATM across my office, though I also needed cash. I made my withdrawal and as i was turning alas I was faced by a young lady who claimed she got stranded and will appreciate money for cab, that instant, I remembered "Ben" yes that is the name he gave to me and when I called it, true caller identified him as engineer Ben. And painfully i looked at the young woman in the face and I said a resounding no, She said just 1k will be enough and I still said no, and walked away. I felt bad with myself, that i could be mean enough not to even want to check out the genuineness of her situation all thanks to Ben, and right there and then, I needed Ben to either apologies or pay back my money because I cannot continue to close my yes to help someone in need in case the situation is real.

So i called him and he picked the phone guess what he said to me, Bros shey i have already told you that i will pay you next week monday, why are you calling me and he cut off, to make matter worse Thursday evening by 10.30pm I was already asleep when a call came through on my phone it was Ben, I was furious, but he made the most annoying statement I have heard of recent, he said to me sorry i am just calling you to tell you I wont be able to pay you by Monday anymore, So i asked him, is this why you are calling me in this ungodly hour. Please don't ever call my phone again and I will appreciate it if you get off my phone now. So I cut off.

So in all, probably Ben stay around airport and be scamming people of money, he could be making up to 30k per day on a good day that market is good and he comes across sheepish people like me. A man that is probably in his mid 30s if not close to 40 years old.

My Story

5 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At Lagos Airport by airsaylongcon: 5:05pm On Nov 07, 2015
OP,
Sometimes you take somethings as a hit and dust up yourself and move on. Sorry on your loss.

Lalasticlala, rocktation, bigfrancis21, make una move this thread go "there" na. So Nigerians can be aware of the state of d art tricks.
Re: How I Was Scammed At Lagos Airport by delishpot: 5:08pm On Nov 07, 2015
Sad. See how evil people make people not want to help those in need again sha.
My dad hellped a guy some years ago and true to his words the man traced my dad to refund the money.

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At Lagos Airport by bugativeron: 5:19pm On Nov 07, 2015
I have got help in places i never expected, so i am always ready to help. But this particular case was just so annoying.

3 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 5:20pm On Nov 07, 2015
I can imagine how u feel but that's life. Bad people actually give the good one's a reason not to help. Let me narrate my ordeal I had with a lady.
She came to the company where I work to execute her job and also seek for consultation. The company's policy is "on no account should a client pick up his/her goods without 100percent payment. After the execution of her job it was time for payment (friday), she came up with a story of how her client wanna cancel the contract if she does not complete the installation before Sunday. She shed tears right in my office, (yes I know of contracts where a client would tell u to use ur money to execute the job and u get paid after execution and that was her situation).
Out of sympathy, I called a junior staff, gave him my atm to withdraw 90k (her said balance) to pay for her after an agreement of cheque to b given to me. Weeks later I called this lady, I kept hearing one story to another, after a while I was told she travelled to south Africa. To cut the long story short, that was how I was swindled.
Life goes on irrespective of what u go through.

3 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At Lagos Airport by Melahou(m): 5:23pm On Nov 07, 2015
The good,the bad and the ugly

We no longer know the ones that are genuine. So many bad eggs around

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed At Lagos Airport by RedCapChief(m): 5:26pm On Nov 07, 2015
That's terrible stuff.
I have been helped with over 100,000 naira by a stranger when I went for visa medicals and I know what it feels like to tell a sob story to a stranger.

Many people forget that there is an unseen hand that controls the world and the destinies of all within it.

@op, please continue to do good whenever you have the opportunity.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Scammed At Lagos Airport by omotayo9177: 5:38pm On Nov 07, 2015
Bros, your story long o. You could have just started from the point where you met the guy at the airport. Anyway, that was one bad experience that may go a long way to affect others who wl need your assistance - like the lady you met the following week after your encounter with Mr Ben. But you did the right thing, leave Ben to his dead conscience, he will definitely have his cup full one day. I was almost suggesting you post his number here to prevent others from falling into his scam net, but that isn't a good idea, for (your own) security purpose. You don sow 5k into someone's life, you go reap am in hundredfold cos blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.

3 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At Lagos Airport by otokx(m): 5:53pm On Nov 07, 2015
Sorry about that bad man engineer Ben; it is one of those things.
Re: How I Was Scammed At Lagos Airport by oake(m): 6:09pm On Nov 07, 2015
Scammers every where! Sorry bro for your loss. I understand the annoyance you transferred to the young lady, but it is also possible that was also a scammer. May God help us. I will advise that you publish this so called "Engr Ben"s number to teach him a lesson.
Re: How I Was Scammed At Lagos Airport by obiak4(m): 6:32pm On Nov 07, 2015
Op your is even small 5k have helped,borrowed,payed ppl sch fees and other things when they came crying for help but paying the money back sound strange to them
imagine someone telling me na wa for you ooo so because u borrow me 200k i no go rest abi and such ......
Some would even quarell with me so that they would't pay back.
Just try and do your best help those you caan help when u r moved to do so sikena

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed At Lagos Airport by bugativeron: 7:57pm On Nov 07, 2015
castroevans:
I can imagine how u feel but that's life. Bad people actually give the good one's a reason not to help. Let me narrate my ordeal I had with a lady.
She came to the company where I work to execute her job and also seek for consultation. The company's policy is "on no account should a client pick up his/her goods without 100percent payment. After the execution of her job it was time for payment (friday), she came up with a story of how her client wanna cancel the contract if she does not complete the installation before Sunday. She shed tears right in my office, (yes I know of contracts where a client would tell u to use ur money to execute the job and u get paid after execution and that was her situation).
Out of sympathy, I called a junior staff, gave him my atm to withdraw 90k (her said balance) to pay for her after an agreement of cheque to b given to me. Weeks later I called this lady, I kept hearing one story to another, after a while I was told she travelled to south Africa. To cut the long story short, that was how I was swindled.
Life goes on irrespective of what u go through.

What a story.
Re: How I Was Scammed At Lagos Airport by bugativeron: 7:58pm On Nov 07, 2015
oake:
Scammers every where! Sorry bro for your loss. I understand the annoyance you transferred to the young lady, but it is also possible that was also a scammer. May God help us. I will advise that you publish this so called "Engr Ben"s number to teach him a lesson.

I wont publish his number. That is taken it too far.
Re: How I Was Scammed At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 8:34pm On Nov 07, 2015
Bruva that's life...
bugativeron:

What a story.

Re: How I Was Scammed At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 1:08am On Nov 08, 2015
Sorry to hear this.

This is still fair,what about a friend who called around 5am to solicit for 25k loan since 2013,and didn't pay back,or made mention of it despite you see nearly on daily basis.

I have decided never to hand out money I can't let go.
Re: How I Was Scammed At Lagos Airport by otokx(m): 7:00am On Nov 08, 2015
Yomieluv:
Sorry to hear this.

This is still fair,what about a friend who called around 5am to solicit for 25k loan since 2013,and didn't pay back,or made mention of it despite you see nearly on daily basis.

I have decided never to hand out money I can't let go.

The guy ask when sleep till was in your eye, people are devious.
Re: How I Was Scammed At Lagos Airport by happney65: 10:04am On Nov 09, 2015
FrontPage Material.Make these yeye mod's move am there them no gree..Sorry Jare OP
Re: How I Was Scammed At Lagos Airport by JKWilliams: 7:52pm On Nov 09, 2015
This is mine:

The guy walked up to me to seek assistance about not having fund for transport. I gave him and he said he will be glad if I can add a little extra because the amount I gave was not up to the actual transport fare and I added a little more.

Can you imagine I saw the same idiot two days later asking another stranger for money with the same story line?

Couple of days later he came to me again with the same story, he thought I will not remember him. Then I told him to his face that he his a thief and that the next time he crossed my part that I will embarrass him angry.

Fast forward to today and coincidental with OP's story, a lady asked for my assistance and I ignored her request, why? because I remember the idiot I mention above and how dishonest many people are and she even fits right into the category of swindlers.

Also couple of days earlier I saw two beggar, those where one sits on the chair and the other pushes across the street. They stopped at a corner like they are resting from the days work and can you imagine that the one sitting on the chair stood up to stroll around and relax, when they saw that passers by are now suspicious, they disappeared. On looking at them closely, I saw that they are young guys pretending that they are physically challenged in other to swindle people of their hard earn money. Many of the so called beggars should be arrested, they are scammers and fraudsters in disguise.

Many people are not ready to sit down and use their hands to work, they want to be rich right now and they don't mind cheating, stealing and using all devious ways to achieve their aim, what a shame.
Re: How I Was Scammed At Lagos Airport by ifegy: 4:34am On Nov 10, 2015
bugativeron:

I wont publish his number. That is taken it too far.

On the contrary, spreading information about scammers helps others avoid falling into the same trap. It also lets the scammers know their days are numbered. They only operate with impunity if they know no one will take action against them. Go to scamdigger.com, for instance, for pictures and email addresses used by scam artists. The more info there is for the public about 'Ben', the more likely his days in the 'business' are numbered.
Re: How I Was Scammed At Lagos Airport by SkinnyDude(m): 9:16am On Nov 10, 2015
me i can not forget how Nkiru scammed me... someone who i took as an elder sis. her younger brother and i were good friends. we are also from the same locality. neighbouring towns..
2013, as a jambite. i found something to start, in order to conquer idleness and loneliness.. when i told her i got a job, the next thing she said 'please can you lend me money?'. as a nice guy i was, with clear conscience. i lent her my first salary, 8k.. even though i lost my phone tha period. she promised to pay back next month...
this Nov, 2015. she hasn't paid.. when i started requesting for my money, she picked offence... same story.. ''i never get work' "is it becos u 8k u are insulting me? u are wicked"
now, my heart is as hard as zuma rock.. even if i see someone dying, and am in the position to help.. i will 'throw' my face away. especially ladies
Re: How I Was Scammed At Lagos Airport by abimbawealth(f): 11:08am On Nov 26, 2015
[quote author=castroevans post=39779[/quote]
shocked
Re: How I Was Scammed At Lagos Airport by abimbawealth(f): 11:17am On Nov 26, 2015
SkinnyDude:
me i can not forget how Nkiru scammed me... someone who i took as an elder sis. her younger brother and i were good friends. we are also from the same locality. neighbouring towns..
2013, as a jambite. i found something to start, in order to conquer idleness and loneliness.. when i told her i got a job, the next thing she said 'please can you lend me money?'. as a nice guy i was, with clear conscience. i lent her my first salary, 8k.. even though i lost my phone tha period. she promised to pay back next month...
this Nov, 2015. she hasn't paid.. when i started requesting for my money, she picked offence... same story.. ''i never get work' "is it becos u 8k u are insulting me? u are wicked"
now, my heart is as hard as zuma rock.. even if i see someone dying, and am in the position to help.. i will 'throw' my face away. especially ladies
You and Sister Nkiru...but believe me it isn't peculiar to ladies...my story is about 2 diff guys with proof...
Re: How I Was Scammed At Lagos Airport by SkinnyDude(m): 1:56pm On Nov 26, 2015
abimbawealth:

You and Sister Nkiru...but believe me it isn't peculiar to ladies...my story is about 2 diff guys with proof...
how did they scam you?
Re: How I Was Scammed At Lagos Airport by abimbawealth(f): 2:07pm On Nov 26, 2015
SkinnyDude:
how did they scam you?
I saved their asses, they didn't pay back
Re: How I Was Scammed At Lagos Airport by SkinnyDude(m): 3:02pm On Nov 26, 2015
abimbawealth:

I saved their ass, they didn't pay back
ok. such is life. you met the wrong guys
Re: How I Was Scammed At Lagos Airport by belamour(m): 3:21pm On Nov 26, 2015
I could remember sometime these year when i got back to Nigeria all in hope to use my ATM card to withdraw some money when i got to the airport but unfortunately my ATM won't dispense cash. Since i didn't bring in any foreign currency which i could exchange with me so i had to look around and see one of my Co- travellers making use of the ATM, i then seek for for his assistance for some cash which i promised to pay next day when i finally got home but to my surprise he stared at me for almost 30seconds only to tell me GUY I B LIKE MAGA ? I felt so embarrassed and was forced to hire a cab to take me home for the sum of #25,000

After Reading Your Story..... I couldn't just judge him again.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed At Lagos Airport by abimbawealth(f): 3:51pm On Nov 26, 2015
SkinnyDude:
ok. such is life. you met the wrong guys
And you helped the wrong person...

(1) (Reply)

Midnight Raid: 52 Nigerians Raided In Malaysia, Now Awaiting Deportation / PHOTOS: “brave Men’s Bridge” In China Made Of Glass / My Visit To Elegushi Beach And Useful Tips For You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.